Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]  All

Author Topic: Terra Mystica III - Game over - theorel wins!  (Read 33083 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
Re: Terra Mystica III - Game over - theorel wins!
« Reply #425 on: July 12, 2013, 11:09:35 am »

Also, good game everyone and congrats to theorel.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 12, 2013, 11:15:53 am »

Hmm, I thought theorel would have a larger lead. I'm not sure where my math was off.

But I was correct that I couldn't catch him. Well played, sir.
A man has no signature

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 12, 2013, 11:50:52 am »

Yeah, I knew it was going to be close, but I thought I had you in the end (glad I was right this time :)).  If I could have cut you off from combining it would have given me some breathing room.

I also had a larger lead a bit earlier in the turn, but then ipofanes and qvist took me from first to last in air cult, so that cost me 6 points.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 12, 2013, 12:35:12 pm »

Ah, I misinterpreted the rules and didn't know that tunnels connect, therefore I was still hoping for second. Congrats to theorel.

All in all, these modern games tend to minimise downtime with their short and many turns. This is nice and all at ftf gaming, but has about the opposite effect in asynchronous turns.

Those old 1980s PBM games had massive, concurrent turns, which are a bit better suited IMHO.

Here's to Watno for patiently ref'ing!

Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 12, 2013, 12:37:20 pm »

Also, are cults a trap? The top Cultists scored bottom overall.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 12, 2013, 12:42:43 pm »

I'm not sure. In my most recent games, I have mostly build an early temple and grabbed most of the 3 spaces in the cults. I went quite good with that. I guess it also depends on how much competition you get in the cults.

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 12, 2013, 12:56:39 pm »

I think it also depends on how much you're taking advantage of the end-of-round cult bonuses.  Getting those "free" bonuses along with the end-game scoring can be significant.  Just the end-game scoring is less so.

I'll note for this specific game, that I took a race that had an important separate usage for priests (i.e. terraforming them for points), and so my particularly low cult score is tied to that.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 12, 2013, 01:43:34 pm »

Also, are cults a trap? The top Cultists scored bottom overall.

I guess the thing with Cultists is that you want to entice people into gaining power from you. On a bright note, you likely will never pay full price for a Trading House. Your success in this endeavor depends on how cautious the other players are. If nobody wants you to gain on the cult tracks, then they're going to give up free power in order to stymie you.

I imagine a great ploy would be to give power to the one player (or two if you're lucky) who isn't worried about cults. In this game, I was a great contender for that, because I wasn't really playing the cult game. In the previous game I played, I was also a good contender because I made it clear that if the Cultist player did not advance on the track that I wanted, then I would be more willing to accept power again later.

And even if you don't score well in cults (32 points would be nice but not very likely), I think that the Power gains from advancing on the tracks would be significant. You could possibly get 20 total Power from advancing on the cults. If you manage to get a 10-spot, then great. Then you can use that Power to build your empire.

I'm not experienced enough to weigh in on if Cultists are a trap, but I would wager that they're a fairly fragile race to play with. I see potential for them to be really brutal, but it depends on the kingdom players.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 12, 2013, 10:17:54 pm »

I think he was talking about factions going for cults, as opposed to Cultists, Kuildeous.

In general BGG people say that cult-focused factions tend to be weaker overall, so I don't think this was atypical of that. The cults should be used primarily as a means of giving bonuses, I think - the end of round bonuses and power bonuses, and the cult scoring should only be considered later on. Often, securing first place on a cult isn't even the best use of priests, if you can afford to upgrade tracks instead. But winning cults should be considered lategame, especially when it's cheap to do so. But don't spend so many resources fighting for a cult that you jeopardise other scoring means.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 13, 2013, 01:52:12 am »

I think he was talking about factions going for cults, as opposed to Cultists, Kuildeous.

Yes I was. My bad.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: October 10, 2013, 10:20:46 pm »

Wow, I played badly. Sorry for not finishing the game. Thanks for modding the game, Watno and grats to theorel for winning it.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]  All

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 16 queries.