Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  All

Author Topic: Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar II  (Read 14898 times)

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar II
« Reply #225 on: June 07, 2013, 04:16:08 pm »

cool! :D

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 07, 2013, 04:19:20 pm »

Very close among the bottom three in the end, only 5.5 points in it (assuming all my addition is correct) from 4th to 2nd.

For me personally, I don't think I played this as well as I could, considering I've played a few times before and my usual scores are in the 70's, but ah well. Maybe it was all of you playing well, keeping me constrained :P? I feel like I took too long to get properly started, and never managed to quite get a foothold onto the temples, which I should have done earlier. I think I left myself too corn poor early, and I think my attempt at running a low corn strategy was doubly thwarted by Liopoil repeatedly throwing me to the bottom of the pile - a good thing for generally anything BUT a low corn strategy. Still, I should have likely adapted a little more to that, but didn't.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 07, 2013, 04:26:44 pm »

I think they're moneuments, not wonders.

This game went a lot differently from the other one. looking at the first game, all of chichen itza was used, and the scores were higher!

I did take the starting player too much I think. It hurt tables, but I don't think it helped me much.

I think starting out with a lot of corn really helped me. I could let a worker ride up to the end early instead of taking him off because I had the corn at the start.

The turn before the end of Age 1 was huge for me. getting up on the temples in age 1 counts double.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 07, 2013, 04:56:01 pm »

Congrats liopoil, thanks for moderating and the game is really better than I expected. I know many liked it, but to me it looked like another boring Worker Placement game with a little twist, but the little twist isn't little, it changes the whole game. You really have to make tough choices and there are multiple ways for victory. I can't tell if they are balanced, but it was fun.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 07, 2013, 05:01:21 pm »

I'm thinking that technology is usually a bit of a trap. it's too slow because it can't directly give you points.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 07, 2013, 05:11:04 pm »

I think you're hard pressed to win without at least getting some technology up. I think the fact everyone but you had Architecture level 3 probably helped you, since it meant we were all competing in the same thing (well, Davio was mostly doing it for the monument), but generally I think you want to reach level 3 in the technology most suited to what you're doing, but you don't want to pay full price really, so buildings are good for getting it up.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 07, 2013, 05:20:17 pm »

I wonder how viable a strategy where you go all out on chichen itza is. For tech you get to lvl 3 theology and lvl 1 resource extraction. Totally ignore buildings and monuments, never get more workers, place mostly on yaxchilan and chichen itza, palenque occasionally, but pretty much only for fishing. get lots of wood from yaxchilan 1 to use for a temple each time you place a skull using theology 2. I think you would probably run out of places to put crystal skulls too fast, but it could be interesting.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 07, 2013, 06:11:18 pm »

If nobody else competes, then in lieu of powerful monuments (notably the Crystal Skull one we had) it's often the dominant strategy if you have starting wealth for it. For example, I recently had a game where I placed 8 skulls on Chichen Itza and won with a score of about 100.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 08, 2013, 01:51:19 am »

I think I did pretty well, going last with very little corn.
Probably focused on corn too much, but oh well.

It would have probably been better to just take whatever route you guys didn't choose instead if trying to force my way through.

Very enjoyable game though, congrats Lio!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  All

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 21 queries.