Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16  All

Author Topic: Pandemic I (Finished, Players win)  (Read 40229 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
Re: Pandemic I (Round II, Schneau's move)
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2012, 01:14:47 pm »

Question for Qvist: are the special event cards in the deck? I'm surprised none have come up yet.

I'm surprised too. But they are in.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2012, 01:15:50 pm »

Actually, by my reading of the rules, there should be no cubes in Lima. The rules for a cured disease + Medic say that by being in a city, the medic treats all cures in that city. It does not say he has to move to that city.

Oops, we haven't cured yellow. My bad!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2012, 01:18:05 pm »

Right so obviously one of MC and LA have been hit. That results in 2 outbreaks, and puts Lima on 2, Bogota on 3, Miami on 1, Chicago on 2 yellow and 1 blue (3 of a single colour required for outbreak), and San Francisco and Sydney on 1 yellow, with 3 yellows left in the supply. shraeye, you have some work to do. Good thing we have some time up our sleeves.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2012, 01:19:42 pm »

3 Outbreaks, Jimmmmm!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2012, 01:20:45 pm »

Whoops, totally missed the update.

And then there was Bogota. Yeah, we might be a bit screwed.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2012, 01:21:05 pm »

Infection discard: Lima, New York, Bogotá, Los Angeles
Infection top of deck (don't know order): Paris, Johannesburg, Mexico City, Chicago, Ho Chi Minh City
Infection next on top of deck (don't know order): Toronto , Madrid, Cairo, Riyadh

Possible outbreaks this turn: MC only

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2012, 01:23:17 pm »

Do you really want to make that move?  ::)

Hints from the moderator? That must be a bit uncouth. ;)
If we're done for, just put us out of our misery already!  :-\

Sorry, but I thought you might not want ruin your game after 6 turns.

If the game had ended now, that would suck, but that's the nature of the game.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2012, 01:25:32 pm »

Things are not looking good. shraeye definitely needs to treat MC this turn, and probably Lima while he is there. We need to concentrate on yellow (and slightly on blue), since we are getting almost nothing in black or red. Jimmmmm would probably be best to treat LA, leaving Botota and Miami for shraeye's next turn.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2012, 01:26:14 pm »

Okay, shraeye obviously has to treat MC now, and probably Lima as well since it's fairly remote, and choose one to end up out of LA and Bogota. I can work on Bogota on my turn if we think it's a priority.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: Pandemic I (Round II, shraeye's move)
« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2012, 01:26:30 pm »

Yes, or LA.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 13, 2012, 04:03:23 pm »

I'm back and caught up.  I think Shraeye, being medic should treat as much as possible.  We get most bang for buck, and we need yellow cubes off the board.  It's unfortunate that Mex. City is the only yellow that could outbreak, as opposed to Lima or Bogata, but oh well.  My thought for Shraeye is treat 3 cubes in Lima, drive to Mex. city, treat 3 cubes, then decide whether to drive to Bogata or drive to LA.  Beyond that, I don't know.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 05:28:15 pm by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2012, 04:32:46 pm »

I'm back and caught up.  I think Shraeye, being medic should treat as much as possible.  We get most bang for buck, and we need yellow cubes off the board.  It's unfortunate that Mex. City is the only yellow that could outbreak, as opposed to Lima or Bogata, but oh well.  My thought for Shraeye is treat 3 cubes, drive to Mex. city, treat 3 cubes, then decide whether to drive to Lima or drive to LA.  Beyond that, I don't know.

Agreed, though I think you mean Bogota or LA. I vote for Bogota, since it's closer to Miami for another important cleanup on his next turn. Maybe Jimmmmm could take care of LA then, and we might be doing ok.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2012, 04:46:32 pm »

Rules question (can't be bothered opening the box which is about a metre from me): can a city outbreak more than once on the same turn if each time was triggered by a different card? So would we have lost if LA came out before Bogota instead of the other way around?

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2012, 05:10:00 pm »

It can only oubreak once each chain reaction, but if I'm not wrong it could outbreak multiple time per turn, yeah.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2012, 05:21:11 pm »

Correct. Each city may only outbreak once per infection card, but could outbreak twice (or more) in the same turn if multiple infection cards have chains that hit that city.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2012, 05:27:22 pm »

I think I"m going to go to LA at the end.  Leaving Bogota for Jimmmm.  I'm still hopeful that my next turn can be treat LA, fly London, than Paris and Madrid.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2012, 05:29:23 pm »

I'm back and caught up.  I think Shraeye, being medic should treat as much as possible.  We get most bang for buck, and we need yellow cubes off the board.  It's unfortunate that Mex. City is the only yellow that could outbreak, as opposed to Lima or Bogata, but oh well.  My thought for Shraeye is treat 3 cubes, drive to Mex. city, treat 3 cubes, then decide whether to drive to Lima or drive to LA.  Beyond that, I don't know.

Agreed, though I think you mean Bogota or LA. I vote for Bogota, since it's closer to Miami for another important cleanup on his next turn. Maybe Jimmmmm could take care of LA then, and we might be doing ok.
You are correct, I meant Bogata or LA in that penultimate sentence.  Post #136 has now been corrected.
Posting begets posting.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2012, 09:12:41 pm »

Well, it looks like things are quiet, and I've been up since 4 am, so I'm going to bed.
Posting begets posting.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2012, 12:07:35 am »

Sorry, I'll make my move inthe morning unless there are objections.  I want to treat lima, go to MC, treat MC, then to go LA

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2012, 07:23:26 am »

Sorry, I'll make my move inthe morning unless there are objections.  I want to treat lima, go to MC, treat MC, then to go LA
That sounds good.  We can only tolerate one more outbreak, so we need to get a handle on all 3-cube cities.
Posting begets posting.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2012, 07:44:19 am »

I also have started thinking about how to get cards to other people, and was considering (on my next turn) treating 2 cubes in HCM city and driving through Sydney to LA, so I could get 2 black cards from Shraeye, but that won't work, due to the normal constraints on OTHER players giving ME cards.  It has been tough luck that I don't have more cards than I do.

After losing the first 3 IRL games, I've now won the last two (all 2p).  In both games, we made it a priority to treat wherever we were, so that we didn't have to double back to treat.  I'm not saying it was the key to victory, but it did keep us out of trouble longer.  The special event cards were very helpful (especially in avoiding painful discards to bring handcounts back to 7.  You get to 7 cards fast in 2p.)  But our only win condition is to find 4 cures, so we need to start thinking about how to move cards around, which of course means moving people, which will involve research stations, among other factors. (In a bizarre twist, my GF and I have played 5 games total, and in every game, one of us was the dispatcher, and one was the operations expert, so we had some transportation flexibility).

Schneau - posts like 131 are extremely helpful, so thanks for keeping up with what's where.  Can you also start posting a counter to how soon the next epidemic could come up?  We've been covering that in prose, but I think it would be helpful to have it with the card location info.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:00:59 am by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Posting begets posting.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2012, 08:03:41 am »

I also have started thinking about how to get cards to other people, and was considering (on my next turn) treating 2 cubes in HCM city and driving through Sydney to LA, so I could get 2 black cards from Shraeye, but that won't work, due to the normal constraints on OTHER players giving ME cards.  It has been tough luck that I don't have more cards than I do.

I'm starting to think it was a mistake to send SFS to HCMC - it was a lot of driving to prevent one outbreak, and we're having a lot more troubles in blue and yellow. I would have much rather had an outbreak in HCMC than MC/LA/Bogota.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2012, 08:06:45 am »

Schneau - posts like 131 are extremely helpful, so thanks for keeping up with what's where.  Can you also start posting a counter to how soon the next epidemic could come up?  We've been covering that in prose, but I think it would be helpful to have it with the card location info.

Sure, though I'm having trouble figuring out when the next epidemics will come up. From my counts, in the white deck there are:

- 48 City cards (12 of each color)
- 5 Special Event cards
- 5 Epidemic cards

For a total of 58 cards. But, I remember people saying that there were only 50 cards to start, so I'm confused. Am I missing something?

EDIT: I forgot that we each started with 2 cards, which brings the starting total down to 50. Now I understand and can figure it out from here.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:08:09 am by Schneau »

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2012, 08:09:00 am »

I'm starting to think it was a mistake to send SFS to HCMC - it was a lot of driving to prevent one outbreak, and we're having a lot more troubles in blue and yellow. I would have much rather had an outbreak in HCMC than MC/LA/Bogota.
Agreed.  The good news is I can get back quickly by flying to Miami (spend a yellow card, but hey, gotta go into hot zones), then treat 1 in miami, drive to Bogata, treat 1 (or skip treating miami and treat two in Bogata).  Red and black are under control, and if we can get blue eradicated, then the blue Infector cards become free passes in each infection phase. If we are all in the same hemisphere, passing cards is easier too.

It sure seems like a balanced game.
Posting begets posting.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2012, 08:17:01 am »

Each 10 cards has 1 Epidemic in it. Here's the drawing of cards so far:

2 - Jimmmmm
2 - SFS (EPIDEMIC)
2 - Schneau (safe)
2 - shraeye (safe)
2 - Jimmmmm (safe)
-------------------
2 - SFS (EPIDEMIC)
2 - Schneau (safe)
______
2 - shraeye (safe) (CURRENT TURN)
2 - Jimmmmm (safe)
2 - SFS (safe)
-------------------
2 - Schneau

So, we have 3 more safe turns, with my next turn being the next possible epidemic. Also, we know:

Infection discard: Lima, New York, Bogotá, Los Angeles
Infection top of deck (don't know order): Paris, Johannesburg, Mexico City, Chicago, Ho Chi Minh City
Infection next on top of deck (don't know order): Toronto , Madrid, Cairo, Riyadh

Possible outbreaks this turn: MC only

From this, the next 5 cards will be Paris, Johannesburg, Mexico City, Chicago, and Ho Chi Minh City. The sixth will be one of Toronto , Madrid, Cairo, and Riyadh.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 15 queries.