Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The one in which I buy 9 of 10 kingdom cards and ignore Governor  (Read 879 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4086
    • View Profile

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20130108-190902-123f117c.html
City, Conspirator, Governor, Hamlet, Haven, Horn of Plenty, Ironworks, Rabble, Scheme, and Trade Route

I think this board is really interesting. How would you have opened here on a 4/3?

----

I mean in a vacuum power level wise Governor is the strongest card here, but I decided to build up an engine by getting the pieces with Ironworks to setup a Scheme / Conspirator engine and then get other stuff for a HoP mega turn. Get Hamlets for +buy and actions and then Rabbles. I didn't play very well, should have gotten a Trade Route earlier I think, to get a thinner deck probably. At some point I empty the Conspirators to activate the few Cities I have for a Horn of Plenty semi mega turn. I think I could have waited one more turn for a full mega turn, but I wanted to play savely.

I think this game shows that you should never blindly get Governor on every board because it is such a power card. You have to see the whole board and the Horn of Plenty possibility and Ironworks/Scheme/Conspirator interaction for building up some economy was better.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
Re: The one in which I buy 9 of 10 kingdom cards and ignore Governor
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 09:48:02 am »

If I wanted to go conspirators, I think I'd open scheme/ironworks since all you want is low price cards (hamlet, trade route, scheme, conspirator).
A hamlet/city/rabble (i.e. city or hamlet for +actions) engine with trashing from trade route and lots of HOPs looks shiny. In combination with ironworks you're draining piles really quickly and are able to set up a real megaturn. It's hard to do some single player science here, since piles run more quickly, obviously, when both players get some schemes and conspirators.

KingsSkort

• Thief
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Re: The one in which I buy 9 of 10 kingdom cards and ignore Governor
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:42:43 am »

If I wanted to go conspirators, I think I'd open scheme/ironworks since all you want is low price cards (hamlet, trade route, scheme, conspirator).
A hamlet/city/rabble (i.e. city or hamlet for +actions) engine with trashing from trade route and lots of HOPs looks shiny. In combination with ironworks you're draining piles really quickly and are able to set up a real megaturn. It's hard to do some single player science here, since piles run more quickly, obviously, when both players get some schemes and conspirators.

This was my initial reaction too. Conspirator gives +$, but it doesn't give you +cards. If your goal is a HoP megaturn, the +$ is less useful and the absence of draw is more painful, especially given that you can build an economy entirely out of IW/HoP without a lot of difficulty.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.