Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Stratego I (Qvist's Turn)  (Read 14115 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
Stratego I (Qvist's Turn)
« on: April 28, 2013, 11:15:00 am »

Quote from:  BGG Website
Stratego 4 is a game for 3 or 4 armies. The board is double sided according to the number of players. Secretly deploy your troops for the best advantage, and capture the fortress at the center of the board by getting your flag and one of your pieces there first.

People Playing/Turn Order:

1. liopoil
2. Archetype
3. Qvist
4. Jimmmmm

The Rules for Stratego 4 can be found here. I suggest you read them even if you're familiar with the original Stratego. The rules are quite different.

There, however, are some adaptions for PBF:

PBF RULES:

1. No outside communication. If you want to yell at someone for killing your 9 or strategize with another player, it's best to do it here. The only exception to this is when you're telling eachother they identity of your pieces.

2. No posting spreadsheet links. I'll explain more on this later, but don't post these links in-thread. If someone wants to spectate, feel free to send it to them.

3. Non players cannot post in-thread. They can '/tag' of course, but no commenting on a player's moves. Especially if you know all 4 of the player's boards. Kind of a no-brainer, but you never know.

4. Posting Moves. To post your move, simply go to your spreadsheet, look at the coordinates of the piece you want to move is on, the coordinates of the space you want to move it to, and then post them here in-thread. This should be done something like 'B5 to B4'. Players will then update their boards.

5. Posting in General. You should always, always post moves/updates/strategic planning/attacking in the color you choose (explained below). This is to make it much easier updating the spreadsheets and not having to remember which player has which color.

6. Attacking. When you move to a space already occupied by another player, you must PM each other the identity of your pieces. The owner of the piece of a lower value must then post in-thread "[insert number here] is dead". All players remove that piece from their board (by whiting it out) and then I'll update the game state.

7. Stay Up to Date. You're going to have to update your board frequently in this game, but you really only need to have it fully updated by the time that it's your turn. It's best to do it one by one from the oldest move to the most recent. In case you get behind, I'll be updating the 'Home Board' whenever I update mine. This should help keep everyone on track.

8. Play Fair. We are NOT having a mod for this game because I really don't think it's that necessary. Instead I except everyone to be honest about what there piece is. Which brings me into my next section...

9. It's just a game. Even though there is a lot of skill in the setup of the game and movement of the pieces, it's still a guessing game which means there is still a fair amount of luck. So don't feel too bad if you lose, and don't gloat too much if you win.  ;D

If you have any questions, PM Qvist or I. I've never played the game, but I've read several articles so I know how it plays, but I think (correct me if I'm wrong) Qvist actually owns a copy.

"There are so many house-rules to Stratego, which ones are we using?"

Great question imaginary naive player!
We are playing with these modifications:

- When a player's piece has been seen by someone, the owner of the piece that figured out the opponent's piece may edit the name of that piece to their spreadsheet. This is to reduce the need for a good memory.

- 2's (Scouts) can move until they reach an unpassable space up, down, left, or right.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:39:35 pm by Archetype »

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Stratgo I (4 Player!) Pick your Color
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 11:15:19 am »

Setup

This is arguably the most important part of the game, so I'll walk you through it.

1. Pick your Color!

Colors to choose from:
Brown
Red
Orange

Yellow
Green

Light Blue
Dark Blue

Purple
Pink

First come, first serve basis. Just post your color preference in-thread.

2. Make your board!

Go to Googledocs -> Create -> Spreadsheet.

Random.org is our spot picker for today.

Archetype: South
liopoil: East
Jimmmmm: North
Qvist: West

Try to make it look like this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AodI01XhRvYKdGJlRFZpWC1lU0Q2QXFMRGxCeC1TOXc#gid=0.

-15x15 Grid
- Make sure it's in the top left-hand corner
- Black out the areas I blacked out
- Put the Castle in the center square
- Fill in a player's color as they choose it.

Colors:

Unpassable: Black
Passable: White
Castle: Grey
Archetype: Green
Qvist: Orange
liopoil: Blue
Jimmmmm: Red
Recruitment Space: Slightly different shade of that player's color. Put it in the same spot as is shown on the Home Board.
Flag Bearer: Darkly outlined space. Get him! Put it in the same spot as is shown on the Home Board.

Don't put words in yet. That'll be the next step.

3. Place your pieces.

In Stratego 4, these are the pieces that you can place:

1x 9 (Marshal)
1x 8 (General)
2x 7 (Major)
3x 6 (Captain) [can move 2 spaces]
3x 5 (Lieutenant)
3x 4 (Sergant)
4x 3 (Scout) [can move any number of spaces]
1x 2 (Spy) [Beats Marshal when attacking]
2x 1 (Cannon) [can kill anything exactly 3 spaces away in a straight line. Dies after]

Each piece can only occupy one space and is shown by inputting that pieces number/letter into one of your colored cells in the spreadsheet. You can swap these numbers as much as you want during setup, but must stop once the game has begun.

To quickly clear up some things

Flag:

- Get the guy with the flag to the center grey spot to win.
- If the unit dies with the flag, another unit (NOT the same color as the flag) without a flag can pick it up and get a free recruitment.
- You can use your turn to move the flag one space to one of your adjacent units.
- Units with the flag can move a maximum of one space each turn.

Recruitment:

- For every 6 units you kill, you must immediately get back a dead unit and place it on your color's recruitment space
- If you have no dead units or your color's recruitment space is occupied, the recruitment is forfeited.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:17:49 pm by Archetype »

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 11:15:31 am »

Game State

Turn Order:

1. liopoil
2. Archetye
3. Qvist
4. Jimmmmm

Archetype:

None Dead!

Qvist:

x1 3

Jimmmmm:

None Dead!

liopoil:

None Dead!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:59:09 pm by Archetype »

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 11:40:56 am »

first! I choose Blue! boom, I win.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 11:47:39 am »

I'm not opposite from you arch, I'm to the right of you.

Is it okay if I make my spreadsheet with me (east), at the bottom?

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 11:50:47 am »

Is it okay if I make my spreadsheet with me (east), at the bottom?
No, you should probably stay at the east. I mean I guess you can, but you would have to post your moves as if your pieces were in the east. So it'd be easier for both you and everyone else playing if you had them in the east.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:55:58 am by Archetype »

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 11:57:02 am »

oh, right, yes.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 12:05:56 pm »

I'll take Red. I'll also read the rules tomorrow.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 12:08:32 pm »

okay, made my spreadsheet.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Stratego I (4 Player!) Pick your Color
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 11:03:20 pm »

Awesome!

Looks like we just need Qvist.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 03:46:56 am »

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) Qvist actually owns a copy.

A friend of mine does, I only have the original one. And it's a long time sine I've played it the last time.

- 2's (Scouts) can move only one space.

Why? I don't feel that this is a great modification.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 03:48:25 am »

I take Orange.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 03:52:49 am »

For reference:

1x 9 Marshal
1x 8 General
2x 7 Major
3x 6 Captain (can move 2 spaces)
3x 5 Lieutenant
3x 4 Sergant
4x 3 Scout
1x 2 Spy
2x 1 Cannon (can shoot up to 3 spaces away)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 05:10:21 am »

FYI my parents had a copy of the original when I was really young, but I don't think we ever played it properly, so this is essentially my first game of any incarnation.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 07:13:04 am »

I need clarification on a few rules points.

"The flag is placed on whichever piece occupies the flag start space."
Where is the flag start space? This is different from the recruitment space in the centre of each player's starting area right?

"The castle consists of two areas each of which counts as one space: the outer ring and the central turret. Only one piece can stand on the outer ring at one time. Each piece can move between the outer ring and any of the surrounding board spaces, or from these spaces to an unoccupied outer ring."
I don't understand. The castle is the grey square in the centre of the board, right? Does that mean there is another space inside the grey space?

"Cannon fire at occupied spaces exactly three spaces distant in a straight line. The two spaces over which a cannon fires may not be occupied nor can they be part of the castle. Fire is allowed over lakes."
Does this mean the Cannon can only shoot someone if they are exactly 3 space away, or at most 3 spaces? Are the black unpassable spaces considered lakes for this purpose?

"If a piece captures a rival flag by removing its carrier, the owner may recruit. The same applies to retrieving a voluntarily abandoned flag, but not to a flag lost to a cannon shot or lost as a result of mutual destruction."
Does this mean you're allowed to spend every second turn abandoning your flag and the other turns recapturing your flag in order to recruit?

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 07:27:49 am »

"The flag is placed on whichever piece occupies the flag start space."
Where is the flag start space? This is different from the recruitment space in the centre of each player's starting area right?
The space behind it. So, H1, A8, O8, H15 are those spaces.

"The castle consists of two areas each of which counts as one space: the outer ring and the central turret. Only one piece can stand on the outer ring at one time. Each piece can move between the outer ring and any of the surrounding board spaces, or from these spaces to an unoccupied outer ring."
I don't understand. The castle is the grey square in the centre of the board, right? Does that mean there is another space inside the grey space?
Spaces G7, H7, I7, G8, I8, G9, H9, I9 build the Castle space. This is really only one space. H8 is the Tower. This is the space wher you have to bring the flag to.

"Cannon fire at occupied spaces exactly three spaces distant in a straight line. The two spaces over which a cannon fires may not be occupied nor can they be part of the castle. Fire is allowed over lakes."
Does this mean the Cannon can only shoot someone if they are exactly 3 space away, or at most 3 spaces? Are the black unpassable spaces considered lakes for this purpose?
The 4 3-space wide spaces in black in the spreadsheet are lakes. I think it's exactly 3 spaces.

"If a piece captures a rival flag by removing its carrier, the owner may recruit. The same applies to retrieving a voluntarily abandoned flag, but not to a flag lost to a cannon shot or lost as a result of mutual destruction."
Does this mean you're allowed to spend every second turn abandoning your flag and the other turns recapturing your flag in order to recruit?
I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Oh man, I really need the official rules. I think this all only applies with rival flags. But I have to check that.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 07:59:33 am »

Spaces G7, H7, I7, G8, I8, G9, H9, I9 build the Castle space. This is really only one space. H8 is the Tower. This is the space wher you have to bring the flag to.

Oh okay. So for example you could move from J9 into the Castle one turn, and then from the Castle into F7 the next turn?

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Oh man, I really need the official rules. I think this all only applies with rival flags. But I have to check that.

Yeah, it doesn't seem right, but that's what you get from a literal interpretation of the rules as written. I guess the rule should be if you pick up a flag abandoned by someone else you can recruit. But that still allows for two players to team up and and repeatedly pick up and abandon a flag to each recruit every second turn.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 08:06:49 am »

Oh okay. So for example you could move from J9 into the Castle one turn, and then from the Castle into F7 the next turn?

Correct.

Yeah, it doesn't seem right, but that's what you get from a literal interpretation of the rules as written. I guess the rule should be if you pick up a flag abandoned by someone else you can recruit. But that still allows for two players to team up and and repeatedly pick up and abandon a flag to each recruit every second turn.

It's definitely not "abandoned" because it should reward stealing (by battle) other player's flags.
Teaming up is a general issue, if 3 players team up against the fourth player, there's no way for him. And if 2 players team up against 2 other players, they really need to team up too. But then they could do the same thing. If you all don't want to allow alliances then we need a house rule for that.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 08:10:02 am »

Also, as reference. Maybe this helps:

But, the piece with the flag is on the wrong space. It should be one more behind.

Another thing which is missing in the rules, is (I think) that you can also pass a flag to an adjacent piece.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 08:10:05 am »

If you're trading a flag back and forth there is a seroious temptation to stab...

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 08:11:07 am »

I'm happy to allow teaming up if everyone else is.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 08:18:46 am »

I'm fine with it. Jimmmmm, wanna team up on arch and qvist? :D we should consider if we should allow PMs, or if all negotiating should be done in this thread.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 08:22:11 am »

Let's do it! maybe

I'd lean towards doing it all in-thread. If you were playing IRL you probably wouldn't walk off and start whispering to each other.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 08:23:24 am »

I'm fine with teamups, but please in-thread. This isn't Diplomacy.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 09:45:57 am »

I approve teamups, but yeah only in thread. Thats why I had the no PMs rule.

Thanks for clarifying some things, Qvist. And we can have the unlimited Scout movement if everyone wants to.

I'll update the Home Board and OP when I can get back on, but I suggest making your spreadsheet before I return. Then making any modifications that I make on the Home Board (like the flag movement/recruitment space).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.