Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: IsoDom 2 Final  (Read 55861 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: IsoDom 2 Match-ups Round 1
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 04:42:43 pm »

Thx for playing and for organizing. Next time I will prepare better.

But I'm still annoyed that my turn 17 in the second game only got me $15 instead of $16 for buying 2 provinces and winning the game.
So painted_cow's Noble Brigand for trashing 3 silvers did his job.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 08:02:32 pm »

Alright, Max put up a strong fight, taking a 2-1 lead before falling three games in a row.  I never felt safe.  Good match, Max.  Thank you for the games!
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 01:03:54 pm »
+2

WanderingWinder and I played a fun match yesterday, without veto mode for maximum randomness! He was the well-deserved victor and a good sport:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111031-165156-b3a74855.html
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111031-170218-f987e830.html
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111031-170959-5916e1e6.html
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111031-171647-e136d6a3.html
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111031-172856-9ff377f1.html
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111031-173533-d3355467.html
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111031-174017-172f97b6.html

Thanks to MMM for organizing.
Some really interesting games here. I'm going to post my brief comments.
Game 1: We both messed up pretty badly by grabbing gardens before silk roads. Gardens may be better against provinces on a board like this (though I'm not sure), but in the rush matchup, it can only be worse, and the rush is going to win against provinces every time. Interesting here was Festuca's turn 4/5. He buys the Inn, I think the right move, but I think he needed to not play it, so as to not trigger the reshuffle. Also, 1st turn is big advantage on a board like this, and I felt very lucky to win when I did. On turn 10!
Game 2: Well, I think the swindler is much better than the silver here, but the big thing is that I got Chapel-c-e-e-e on turn 3, he got his with four coppers. I think that was pretty well game over. I'm actually impressed he came so close in the end.
Game 3: I don't understand this game! I would think that fool's gold strategy would be DREADFUL here. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to have steward first and then a courtyard, or go straight BM/Courtyard. With his strategy, I figured I'd win easily either way, but... well, I do think he got somewhat lucky to prosecute his first-turn advantage like this, but I'm impressed he was even able to do that. I just don't get how that can be competitive, but it clearly can be.
Game 4: Basically, lighthouse is amazing when there's a decent attack on board. Prefer it to silver. Furthermore, I feel like Merchant ship is pretty underrated. 6 provinces in 19 turns is not bad at all.
Game 5: Well, there was a lot going on here. HT/Duke. Black Market/Tactician. HT/Tactician. I opted for the simple HT/Duke strategy, he went for a more complicated combination of everything. It worked out quite nicely for him, as you can see. Props to Festuca.
Game 6: I do think I should have had some advantage here with 2 tributes to 1, and I think silver is better than the warehouse. But it's not all that much. I'm impressed he was able to fight his way to the tie here.
Game 7: Well, I definitely don't like opening with farming village here or almost ever. Swindler is going to be really key, I think, because there's something sorta bad at many price levels of your important cards. I did get the nice break of hitting copper with my first swindle of him, whereas he hit estate. The tough part came later on, where swindler and wharf were both elite terminals, and I wanted as many and to play as many as I could. I'm sure I made a few inaccuracies, but overall I'm pretty happy with this one.

All in all, a very hard fought match, and my hat is off to Festuca, who I'm pretty sure is fairly underrated, at least based on these 7 games. 

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 11:55:05 pm »

<a href=http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111101-161052-56b103fd.html>Game One</a> was obviously a Duke board, but I allowed Max the initiative with two unanswered Duke buys on turns five and six.  I bought Mandarin and Hoard instead, and lost the game.

<a href=http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111101-161647-10fab0c6.html>Game Two</a> was a joat/bm snorefest.  I didn't adorn the deck and won on turns.

<a href=http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111101-162349-2eec91b9.html>Game Three</a> was a mirror match that Max won on turns.

<a href=http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111101-163356-7f50c1f9.html>Game Four</a>, finally divergent strategies.  Max played Tunnel, and I played Bishop/Expand.  Despite gaining a total of <i>sixteen Golds</i>, Max had trouble getting them grouped together and I broke the PPR and won.

<a href=http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111101-163759-07fae356.html>Game Five</a> was an Envoy BMU mirror.  For some reason I bought a Mining Village instead of Envoy and used it for a turn three Gold, and the shuffle-luck gods smiled on me as I never had less than $5 after the turn four Envoy buy.  Got lucky, and won a game out of position.  3-2.

<a href=http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111101-164526-e8bfe326.html>Game Six</a> Max pushed the Province pile before he had a strong grip on the game, and I snuck out a win after trailing all game.

Thanks for the games, dude.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 03:54:57 am by Mean Mr Mustard »
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 12:06:30 am »

Game 3: I don't understand this game! I would think that fool's gold strategy would be DREADFUL here. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to have steward first and then a courtyard, or go straight BM/Courtyard. With his strategy, I figured I'd win easily either way, but... well, I do think he got somewhat lucky to prosecute his first-turn advantage like this, but I'm impressed he was even able to do that. I just don't get how that can be competitive, but it clearly can be.
Bazaar, Courtyard, Duchess, Fool's Gold, Harem, Mandarin, Noble Brigand, Remodel, Steward, and Thief

Interesting - I thought this board has everything Fool's Gold (FG) needs to be strong. No +buys, and the only +Actions comes in the form of +2 Actions on the $5 Bazaar, so no early Action chains. Absence of +buys kind of hurts Harem, which becomes more of a consolation prize after Provinces. We do have a gain in the form of Remodel, but the FG player is getting Remodels anyway to turn Coppers into FG early. Light trashing in the form of Steward allows the FG player to get rid of the extra Estates and Coppers. No attacks except Thief hurt the FG deck, and thieving FGs is pretty useless unless the opponent is going FG too. Mandarin and Courtyard allow the FG player to place unused or excessive FG's back on the deck for the next turn. Also, no obvious fast BM+ engine, except maybe Courtyard-BM which isn't that fast.

All-in-all, quite a strong FG board I thought, especially with that Remodel - might even work out well when an FG is turned into a Gold on top of the deck. Curious to find out your reasoning why FG might have been weak.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 11:07:31 am »

Had some really good games with PSUump/PSUmvp. I ended up winning 4-3.

Game 1: PSUmvp 40 - 11 Jimmmmm
Game 2: PSUmvp 51 - 36 Jimmmmm
Game 3: PSUmvp 54 - 73 Jimmmmm
Game 4: PSUmvp 19 - 30 Jimmmmm
Game 5: PSUmvp 143 - 49 Jimmmmm
Game 6: PSUmvp 35 - 46 Jimmmmm
Game 7: PSUmvp 30 - 48 Jimmmmm

In game 1, I wasn't sure how to deal with Tunnel being the Bane. He gave out 6 Curses to 1, got some early Golds then started getting Border Villages with Wharves and then some King's Courts, and finally bought out the rest of the Curses to win easily.

In game 2, I opened Trading Post/- and he opened Minion/-. He congratulated me for the better opening, then went on to win the game. His Minions were too good.

In game 3, I opened with Ambassador/- and he went with Treasury/- (we had identical starting hands). I then got a Spice Merchant and another Ambassador and won the Ambassador war easily.

Game 4 had Mountebanks, and was fairly even. I won by emptying the Nobles.

In game 5, he got his Goons and Villages together too quickly and demolished me. I may have started buying Coppers too early, although by that point I was being Goonsed just about every turn.

Game 6 had a bit going on with Smugglers, Contraband, Goons and Grand Market. I got into the Provinces quicker and managed a 5-3 split.

Game 7 was a Tournament game. I got the Followers and then he got the Trusty Steed. I then won the Duchy split 5-3 and went for Dukes, then emptied the Tournament pile.

Thanks to PSUmvp for playing, we both enjoyed the games.

Festuca

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 12:54:15 pm »

Looks like WW's commentary sparked a whole commentary fest! That's great - a huge advantage to playing a tournament with people who are much better than me.

Game 1: Not having played a ton of Hinterlands, I wasn't really aware of how Silk Road would compare to Gardens in such a game, which is why I started with Gardens. I suppose I could have realized it considering what a fast game it would be, but I'll blame the first-match-jitters. Most interesting was WW's comment about my not playing the Inn - I can't really explain why I did that. Probably since, with three Ironworks in hand, I wanted to be able to play two of them for Gardens. Regardless, I can see how this was likely a mistake.

Game 2: I did have a bit of bad chapel luck at the start, but my luck the rest of the game was nothing to complain about. My big lesson from this (and game 7) was that Swindler is better than I think. I tried to pick one up later in the game to do some damage control, but by then it was too late (and of course it got swindled, making it way too late).

Game 3: Fools Gold is one of the few Hinterlands cards that I have some experience with. Like Anon79 said, with Steward and Remodel, I thought this strategy had a chance of being fast enough. Curious: If you were planning on going some BM variant, how come you didn't take a gold or two before starting on the Harems?

Game 4: This game was a convincing argument in Merchant Ship's favour. I was trying to go some sort of Festival Rabble, but it was obviously too slow, and also, Lighthouse.

Game 5: This was a cool game with lots going on. I thought Tactician was going to be good here, considering there was so much virtual money in the form of Black Market and Horse Traders. I have to apologize for that last Province buy - I thought I was ahead, but I wasn't super confident, so I just bought it. WW was a very good sport about my bad counting.

Game 6: Can you tell me why the Tribute was going to be strong here? I have to admit that I just picked mine up for lack of a better 5 cost.

Game 7: As WW rather tactfully put, I didn't play very well here. Very interesting Swindler comment, that there's something bad at all price levels. That's not something I've ever thought about but it seems like an obvious thing to consider when you're deciding whether to buy Swindler. Cool, I learned something!

Again, thanks to WW for the fun games and thoughtful commentary.

She buys the Inn
Fixed :)

theParty

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 04:50:12 pm »

theParty won 4-2 over WrathofGlod/Michael Harris.  Close games all around and fairly well played I thought (save for a huge mental error in game 2 by me).

I am missing a log for some reason, but here they are, save the 5th game:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201111/03/game-20111103-121342-9adbb7d0.html - Bishop and Hoard were the key cards for both of us, and both were strengthened by Harem.  I felt like I was in the hole with the 5/2 opening and purchasing bishop/courtyard instead of my preferred silver/bishop, but looking back, i may open that again with a 4/3.  The swindler was a horrible move, and was essentially a dead card for me the entire game.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201111/03/game-20111103-122415-33a6b015.html - KC/GM game.  I was ahead, primarily because I invested in markets to have something to KC.  Once both our engines got going, I was slightly ahead.  I added wrong on turn 20, and almost bought out the piles......He ended the game next turn.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201111/03/game-20111103-123823-1642c30d.html - a slogfest, familiar game.  Not much to comment here, though I'd be curious if someone has a different strategy on this board, or would you try to get ahead and 3 pile like we did....

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201111/03/game-20111103-125514-0414e58c.html - This was the most interesting kingdom I thought that we drew.  Colony game.  Goons, Grand Market, Sabatouer (which plays heavily in ours), Possession, and NV were the key cards, with almost every card supporting in some way.  He actually Sabatuers my early possession, and then when he gets a possession later, possesses the only Colony had I've had all game.  Felt lucky to get out of there with a win after that turn of events.  I purchased more on my double goons turns, which I think was the difference in the game.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201111/03/game-20111103-132317-6e18d393.html - this last game was very similar to the game before it (log is missing), in that the obvious strategy was to use council room (or governor in the previous game) to get a large hand, then ghost ship the opponents hand down.  I opened 5/2 which gave me a big advantage here.  In the post game wrap, we both agreed that loan/masq. was a bad opener, and would have passed on the loan next time.

Would love to hear any thoughts for people who actually look at the logs.....

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 08:15:33 pm »

Game 6: Can you tell me why the Tribute was going to be strong here? I have to admit that I just picked mine up for lack of a better 5 cost.

I'd like to know this too. I generally avoid Tribute due to how unreliable it is, but I suspect that in your game, with the prevalence of BM, Tribute is probably going to usually hit VP cards or Treasures, both of which are beneficial for a BM strategy.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 09:14:29 pm »

I'd like to know this too. I generally avoid Tribute due to how unreliable it is, but I suspect that in your game, with the prevalence of BM, Tribute is probably going to usually hit VP cards or Treasures, both of which are beneficial for a BM strategy.
Bingo. In BM mirrors, it's really good, because it usually gives you either $4 or $2 and 2 cards, both of which are amazingly good in a BM deck

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 09:28:46 pm »
+1

a slogfest, familiar game.  Not much to comment here, though I'd be curious if someone has a different strategy on this board, or would you try to get ahead and 3 pile like we did....
Moats?

theParty

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2011, 12:32:23 pm »

a slogfest, familiar game.  Not much to comment here, though I'd be curious if someone has a different strategy on this board, or would you try to get ahead and 3 pile like we did....
Moats?

The reason I ignored moats were primarily because I didn't want them to draw my familiars dead, and because of how fast the curses are typically given out in a familiar game, then the moat becomes a real liability.  If i never play it, I've essentially given myself a curse in terms of dead card).  If my moat blocks his familiar, it's +1 curse for me, but if my moat draws my familiar dead, it's the same result the other way.  DG - are you saying you would grab the moats in this kingdom if it's obvious that your opponent is going familiar? 

I think I'm just not a huge fan of reaction cards, except watchtower.  Probably to a fault, as I think I overlook them.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2011, 12:47:58 pm »

I think I'm just not a huge fan of reaction cards, except watchtower.  Probably to a fault, as I think I overlook them.

Moat and Secret Chamber are for sure overlookable, I try to buy them as little as possible. Not technically a Reaction, but Lighthouse is more-or-less straight up better than Silver when Attacks are around, so it's worth getting a bunch.  The others are all situationally useful but more for the benefit they provide your deck than for Attack defense.  Among cards that say "Reaction" on them, I think Tunnel is now usually the strongest, though Watchtower definitely used to hold that title.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:55:22 pm by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 12:50:46 pm »

The reason I ignored moats were primarily because I didn't want them to draw my familiars dead, and because of how fast the curses are typically given out in a familiar game, then the moat becomes a real liability

When you consider the chances of the moat being good (opponent has a familiar in a five card hand) compared to it being bad (your familiar is in two cards on top of your deck) then the odds are in the moats favour. You can improve that further by watching your draw deck. More than that, you might be only looking at the bad consequences and not the good. The tribute doesn't attack you by turning over the top two cards of your deck. The moat will at worst cycle the top two cards and you may even be able to spend them too.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:57:04 pm by DG »

theParty

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2011, 01:34:00 pm »

Moat and Secret Chamber are for sure overlookable, I try to buy them as little as possible. Not technically a Reaction, but Lighthouse is more-or-less straight up better than Silver when Attacks are around, so it's worth getting a bunch.  The others are all situationally useful but more for the benefit they provide your deck than for Attack defense.  Among cards that say "Reaction" on them, I think Tunnel is now usually the strongest, though Watchtower definitely used to hold that title.

Yes - I put lighthouse in a different category (duration), though obviously it has that same effect.  Tunnel is interesting, and probably should be one of the forthcoming extended posts.  I absolutely love how it changes games where militia is the obvious opener.

theParty

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 01:36:28 pm »

The reason I ignored moats were primarily because I didn't want them to draw my familiars dead, and because of how fast the curses are typically given out in a familiar game, then the moat becomes a real liability

When you consider the chances of the moat being good (opponent has a familiar in a five card hand) compared to it being bad (your familiar is in two cards on top of your deck) then the odds are in the moats favour. You can improve that further by watching your draw deck. More than that, you might be only looking at the bad consequences and not the good. The tribute doesn't attack you by turning over the top two cards of your deck. The moat will at worst cycle the top two cards and you may even be able to spend them too.

Yeah - I thought about that.  I don't run any simulations, so I don't really know what the numbers would say.  You're probably right though - moat might have swung that game even more towards me.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2011, 04:47:05 pm »

Arranged to play Cayvie at 8PM GMT today but he hasn't turned up after waiting for 45 minutes. PM me to arrange another time please?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 06:54:25 pm by Thisisnotasmile »

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2011, 08:33:35 pm »

Just wanted to say that I appreciate the players talking about their thoughts on strategy in these games…it's very helpful for us players who still have a lot to learn! Thank you, and I hope you keep sharing.

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2011, 12:25:52 pm »

I have no problem of sharing my knowledge of course, and I also do it with kind of joy. But I try to do this after the whole series. I mean it would be dumb to tell my opponent a trick, which he maybe can use in the next matches against me and  make me lose :-)

When playing automatch I ll tell them immediately of course.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2011, 02:01:20 pm »
+1

Well, I just had my ass handed to me by Geronimoo. I kind of expected this, looking at his recent win rate, but I could have hoped to win at least once. One might have also expected that a match between two simulator programmers would involve a whole lot of rushing for victory cards.

Nope on both counts. Every game except the last was about engines, and Geronimoo won them 4-0.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201111/05/game-20111105-093846-fd26f4ca.html - Clearly a high-randomness game. I decide there's no good combos on the board and open Silver / Black Market. Geronimoo does the same, but I think he came to a different conclusion about the combos.

The first thing I pull out of the black market is a Witch. Geronimoo says "gg I guess :(". But he starts building up a Hamlet/Envoy engine, aided by Horn of Plenty, something that had seemed too fickle to me when I looked at it. A few turns later, Black Market karma gets equalized when he pulls out a Mountebank.

The attack cards seem kind of insignificant compared to what happens next. Geronimoo ramps up his engine really quickly, and he's drawing most of his deck every turn with hamlets and envoys. He also gets a King's Court out of the market to rub it in. The game ends with him playing 6 Horns of Plenty to get the remaining 6 provinces.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201111/05/game-20111105-095844-fa701580.html - A really interesting board, with fishing villages, talismans, tunnels, and lots of ways to discard. We both open Talisman/Woodcutter, an opening I'm pretty sure I've never played or seen before.

The tunnels turn out to be relevant for the VP, not for the gold. Only one province is bought in the game, and that was by Geronimoo, who was discarding tunnels later than me.

I had a chance here if I had paid attention to the timing of the endgame. But I gave him the opportunity he needed to buy out a pile and beat me by 2 points.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201111/05/game-20111105-101411-1af09876.html - My plan is to ramp up to Stables quickly, and then Worker's Village+Envoy could give me lots of fodder for Stables. With $4 to open, that means I open Envoy/Silver (definitely not opening with a village). Geronimoo surprises me by opening Swindler/Swindler.

There are tournaments and grand markets on the board, too. Geronimoo points out that Envoy sucks at getting grand markets, which is true, but I had planned to overcome that with sheer drawing power.

Indeed, he gets to Grand Markets first, and my Horse Traders do not discourage his relentless swindling (which turns my Stable fuel into curses). I get Provinces and Tournaments first but they never matter, as the game is over shortly afterward.

Finally: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201111/05/game-20111105-103053-05febcbd.html. This game has Young Witch, Grand Market, and Possession in it. The bane is Develop.

I have a $5/$2 opening, and I decide I want a Wharf before a Young Witch. Perhaps from seeing a fallacious trend in complex decks winning the last three games, I have formulated this plan: I'll get the Wharf now and pick up a Young Witch next time through the deck, and a Develop when I can, because not only is that a Bane, it can actually serve its intended purpose -- if it shows up with my Wharf, it can stack a Grand Market and a Young Witch on the deck.

You'll notice that this plan involves getting three terminals at the start of the game. And two of them draw cards, and the other one is Develop. Yeah.

Geronimoo gets two YWs, gives me most of the curses, pulls off the Develop->Grand Market trick before I do, and quickly shuts me out on victory points.

Geronimoo played all these games pretty much perfectly, and I didn't. I'd be tempted to say he was like a machine -- but machines don't come up with these kinds of engines... yet.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 02:04:57 pm by rspeer »

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2011, 06:18:04 am »

Thanks rspeer for some great games! You were a good sport despite the ass handing :)

Here's my take on the games:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111105-093846-fd26f4ca.html
I immediately see the Envoy/Hamlet-Horn combo and enough different playable cards to get the Horns up to $8 when I go for my massive turn. Black Market isn't really necessary, but I see there are some nice cards in the Market (Mountebank, Witch, KC) and I follow rspeer's lead. He pulls the first attacker (Witch) and in my mind it's pretty much over, but I get a Mountebank soon after and start to build my engine while my opponent buys a Gold each turn. The curses are a little annoying, but Envoy draws enough cards to further build up. King's Court appears out of the Black Market and me and rspeer both know this game will be over soon. Two turns later I draw my entire deck, play 6 Horns (all worth $13) and clear out the Provinces. I thank this victory to the work I put in creating the "Plenty Horny" bot in my simulator where I found out that it's a very strong engine which will easily beat most Big Money strategies.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111105-095844-fa701580.html
When I first saw the board it didn't really seem all that interesting: get Mountebanks as soon as possible, then buy an Inn each time my drawing deck is small and there are two Mountebanks in my discard. I'm thinking to open Silver/Silver to get to the attacker as fast as possible, but then rspeer opens Talisman and hey that seems cool, so I follow suit (sometimes I like to have a little fun playing this game). And while I'm at it, I also copy his Woodcutter buy. He goes on to buy a Lookout which I know from simulations to be a horrible horrible card if you're going big money (not in engines!). It will also delay him to get to the Mountebanks. I get two Fishing Villages in my turn thanks to Talisman (probably would have been better off with Silvers). As expected I buy the first Mountebank and soon after the second followed by the Inn-buy to get the dreaded double Mountebank turn which is pretty much game over. rspeer in the meanwhile is trying to get his Tunnels lined up with his discarders, but my relentless Mountebanking makes it a lot harder. I'm able to finish on piles with a comfortable lead. I did miss the Lookout/Tunnel interaction, but I still think it's far inferior to the Mountebank plan.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111105-101411-1af09876.html
The key cards here are Envoy, Grand Market and Tournament. Envoy gets really bad when you start to add other action cards, so if you go for it, you should probably just stick to treasures and race the Provinces. There is one other card on this board which I really love (probably a bit too much) and that's Swindler. I can turn his Silvers into Loans and his Envoy/Tournament into Thief or Worker's Village; $5 will become Duchies and Grand Markets boring old Gold. So I go for the double Swindler. I get a little lucky hitting 2 Coppers with them and he gets a few Horse Traders to defend. They are great at getting the money for Grand Market, but his Envoy has now become a very bad card in his deck. He tries to solve the problem by buying Worker Villages, but that card is just awful when you're not building a dedicated engine. He gets a 10-point lead, but my Grand Markets and his conflicting cards allow me to win despite Swindling his Province into a Province when I was still behind. He did make a mistake in the end game of buying a Gold over Duchy when there were only 4 Provinces left.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111105-103053-05febcbd.html
First job is always to look for the attackers and Young Witch is very very good if people choose to ignore it which is pretty much what my opponent does by opening Wharf instead of YW. I get a second Witch soon after and start to unload the Curses. After that I buy mainly treasure and get to do the neat little trick of Developing a Venture into a Grand Market and a Potion on top of my deck for a very probable Possession buy. I always have a pretty big lead this game and there's no real way for him to get back.

GGs!

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2011, 02:18:45 pm »

How long do we wait for that single remaining pairing?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011, 02:42:53 pm »

Yeah, sorry about that. As I said, I turned up at the arranged time and waited for 45 minutes. Cayvie did not turn up and has not PMed me since or posted here, I have no idea if (s)he's even been on this site since then.

Edit: According to his/her profile, (s)he was last active on November 03, 2011, 06:19:44 am. Don't know if that's forum time, their time, or my time, but it's 4 days ago either way.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 02:48:51 pm by Thisisnotasmile »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.