Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: GOKODOM I: Round 4 Results and Discussion  (Read 22753 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: GOKODOM I: Round 4 Results and Discussion
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 07:18:39 am »

Game 1: Geronimoo is a pretty good BM player and I told to myself that if any possible I won't play a BM mirror match. I kinda expected that he will go straight Monument BM, so I chose the engine which will play many Monuments a turn. It worked out pretty good and got to a small lead after being behind pretty fast. And then I made a couple of errors which I saw on the rewatch. I wanted the Apprentice because it's the only source of draw, but picke up a second Merchant Ship instead. That was an error. On terminal collisions, I think I chose Monument too often over Merchant Ship and I probably shouldn't have contested the Duchies. I rather play more Monuments each turn. So after getting bad hands he broke PPR and managed to hit me on a bad hand while he got another good hand and win the game.

I watched your videos and I don't understand why you outright dismissed Mystic. I think it's alot better here than Merchant Ship, because of Ironmonger (which lets you see the card, so if it's a card you actually want you'll guess correctly) and because it's non-terminal, so that you never have to make the choice between Mystic and Monument. It's also really good in super trim decks. To that end I'd have gotten two foragers. If you're going engine you want those starting cards out of the way asap. You also didn't forage a Silver until very late in the game. Had you done that at the first possible opportunity, each subsequent Copper trash would have given you $2. Yes, you also help your opponent, but you help yourself more because you cycle faster and ideally you have two foragers vs. his one.

Faster trashing also ensures that your action density increases, which means that 1) your post-ironmonger Mystic guesses will be right more often as you want to keep your actions and 2) ironmonger starts giving you a +action most of the time, so that you can play two Monuments per turn more often and perhaps even buy a third one.

Hm. Like I said the second Merchant Ship was a mistake in any regard. But I still think it should have been an Apprentice as it will allow me to play Monuments and Forager will give me +Buy. I picked up the first Merchant Ship because it's basically a terminal $4. Mystic is good in a thin deck, but I never got a thin deck. So I'm not sure if it were that good. The interesting part you mentioned though was a second Forager. And here you might be right. A second Forager early would have helped me a lot on second thought and then - in a thin deck - a Mystic might have been nice. But not in a deck I had at that point.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 08:54:32 am »

Game 1: Geronimoo is a pretty good BM player and I told to myself that if any possible I won't play a BM mirror match. I kinda expected that he will go straight Monument BM, so I chose the engine which will play many Monuments a turn. It worked out pretty good and got to a small lead after being behind pretty fast. And then I made a couple of errors which I saw on the rewatch. I wanted the Apprentice because it's the only source of draw, but picke up a second Merchant Ship instead. That was an error. On terminal collisions, I think I chose Monument too often over Merchant Ship and I probably shouldn't have contested the Duchies. I rather play more Monuments each turn. So after getting bad hands he broke PPR and managed to hit me on a bad hand while he got another good hand and win the game.

I watched your videos and I don't understand why you outright dismissed Mystic. I think it's alot better here than Merchant Ship, because of Ironmonger (which lets you see the card, so if it's a card you actually want you'll guess correctly) and because it's non-terminal, so that you never have to make the choice between Mystic and Monument. It's also really good in super trim decks. To that end I'd have gotten two foragers. If you're going engine you want those starting cards out of the way asap. You also didn't forage a Silver until very late in the game. Had you done that at the first possible opportunity, each subsequent Copper trash would have given you $2. Yes, you also help your opponent, but you help yourself more because you cycle faster and ideally you have two foragers vs. his one.

Faster trashing also ensures that your action density increases, which means that 1) your post-ironmonger Mystic guesses will be right more often as you want to keep your actions and 2) ironmonger starts giving you a +action most of the time, so that you can play two Monuments per turn more often and perhaps even buy a third one.

Hm. Like I said the second Merchant Ship was a mistake in any regard. But I still think it should have been an Apprentice as it will allow me to play Monuments and Forager will give me +Buy. I picked up the first Merchant Ship because it's basically a terminal $4. Mystic is good in a thin deck, but I never got a thin deck. So I'm not sure if it were that good. The interesting part you mentioned though was a second Forager. And here you might be right. A second Forager early would have helped me a lot on second thought and then - in a thin deck - a Mystic might have been nice. But not in a deck I had at that point.

I agree with SCSN, Ironmonger/Mystic is nice and I didn't think you wanted any more terminals in your deck. I'm thinking "he should get a Mystic here" and you said "Mystic is pretty bad here"
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 09:40:37 am »

There is an interesting engine in Qvist's game 2 but it is probably more theoretical than practical. I'm guessing it comes in two turns too slow.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 07:07:04 pm »

Rabid 3   Stealth Tomato 0

Thanks for the match, I go VERY lucky.

Game 1
Poor House, Cellar, Pawn, Forager, Sage, Shanty Town, Workshop, Salvager, Contraband, Graverobber

My first player Contraband + cellar against Salvager + Forager.
Small errors from us both on T3 I play 5 copper to buy salvager. (should only play $4)
Then on T4 Stealth Tomato prohibited Gold when I can only possibly have $5.
I go for light trashing and sages to find my golds, against a really cool heavy trash mega turn with poor house.
Mega turn was just a tiny bit to slow, I had good draws, I suspect the mega turn wins with a better village.

Game 2
Herbalist, Baron, Caravan, Feast, Smithy, Spice Merchant, Thief, Council Room, Governor, Hunting Party

As second player on a Governor board you need luck to win.
So I go for the baron and cross fingers.
I draw perfectly all game, Province on T7, T8, T9, and Prov + duchy on T10 & T11

Game 3
Cellar, Armory, Bridge, Bandit Camp, City, Hunting Party, Inn, Pillage, Harem, Expand, Colony

Bridge mega turn race.
My Bridge + silver opening fails to get to $5 on first shuffle so I am way behind.
Against Bandit Camp Cellar.
Late game I am losing.
Stealth Tomato has an Expand to enable the empty pile to activate City trick mid turn.
Goes for the win empting the second pile on T15 but fails to draw deck.
My hand of Bridge, Silver, Copper, Bridge, Hunting Party lucks out for the stolen 3 pile win.

Many thanks for the match Stealth Tomato.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:56:18 pm by Rabid »
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2013, 07:07:34 pm »

Rabid 3 - 0 Stealth Tomato

Incredibly frustrating series. Rabid outplays me with a strong game in game one, game two is essentially a mirror where Rabid appears to intentionally up the variance and it pays off, game three I play lights-out and get massively hosed on the potential game-ending turn. The most frustrating thing in Dominion is playing about even against a superior player and getting beaten by lopsided scores anyway. Plus I get to second-guess that last turn and whether I could have delayed another turn and taken it on the next one.

However, I have to say I enjoyed this more than the series against AdamH, because at least the boards invited a lot of creativity and we both used it.

Recap later. Good games sir.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:41:54 pm by Stealth Tomato »

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2013, 09:36:24 pm »
+4

Mic Qsenoch 3 - 1 kn1tt3r

Game 1: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130507/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1367972031497.txt
This game features Ambassador and the pieces for an engine. Unfortunately the sources of +action are inconsistent (Tribute and Ironmonger). I open Ironmonger/Ambassador while he goes with Ambassador/Spice Merchant. He never picks up a second Ambassador so I eventually win the deck size war but he has a decent economy already. The lack of true +buy (not Spice Merchant) really hurts the Ambassador engine here. All the same I think I could have leveraged my thinner deck for a win if I had picked up a Remodel at some point to convert my Courtyards and any stuff he sends back to me into engine components. Close game, but he pulls out the win. I think his win will be more decisive if he ignores Alchemist, although possibly I could use it. But really it just seems slow without +buy. Good example of how not to build an engine by me.

Game 2: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130507/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1367973243834.txt
I open 5/2 Mountebank/Squire to his Silver/Silver. That's more or less the game, although I have bad enough shuffle luck that we still split the curses. I am lucky to get Mercenaries first as well, but don't have great luck lining up Mercenaries with junk. So this is a game that I win mostly because of luck, where I also had some pretty rotten luck. I can whine despite my good fortune. Best of both worlds! Have my cake and eat it too! Another saying!

Game 3: I forgot the log
So this one had Duke/JoaT/Peddler/Expand/Graverobber/Forager. We both open Forager/Jack. And we both have nice luck drawing Foragers with Jack. So the Peddlers go pretty quick. Although I see the synergy for Peddler/Graverobber, I'm not convinced it's fast enough so I start on Duchies. I think you have to contest the Peddlers here even if you want to go for Dukes because you just can't let your opponent get all of them, and they should be useful anyway. Peddler split goes 6/4 to him. I do the classic "I'm going to buy Provinces even though I really want to win the Duchy split because that's just what you do with $8 hands" maneuver. It's a stupid maneuver. I win the Duchy split 5/3, and that's enough to win because we both buy Dukes which leads to a Duchy/Duke/Peddler three pile. He has a Graverobber but only plays it once so I think it must have missed a shuffle or been flipped by Jack. If that's the case, bad luck for him.

Game 4: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130507/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1367973658195.txt
I open Crossroads/Rebuild while he gets Fishing Village/Militia. I'm convinced that my Rebuild purchase is not correct here. There's serious engine potential here and I basically just ignore it completely. The +buy isn't great (Contraband) but you have options for engine pieces and VP (Gardens). Engine player should be able to play Militia every single turn. Upgrade lets you trim, Bureaucrat attacks and helps Gardens. Plenty of +action, Lab and Crossroads for draw. We both played this board miserably. He rushes down small VP to hinder my Rebuild, but I only have a single Rebuild (and nothing else to speak of). This just accelerates a 3-pile which lets me eke out a slim victory. He needs to build up his engine and extend this game to increase his Gardens value or just outscore me on Provinces.

I definitely had some luck on my side with 5/2 splits on good boards for them. Thanks for the match kn1tt3r!

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2013, 10:14:28 pm »

Avin beats gman314 4-2.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2013, 10:09:27 am »
+1

Watno beats philosophyguy 3-1

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130508/log.50ad02dae4b0fb8e18c1ae6b.1368018906211.txt
Courtyard, Vagrant, Market Square, Woodcutter, Alchemist, Marauder, Procession, Scout, Margrave, Wharf
Watno 0-1, 29-44

Marauder/Wharf mirror, mostly. I dip into a Procession to clear out the junk and spike a late couple of extra Wharfs, which I think win the game.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130508/log.50ad02dae4b0fb8e18c1ae6b.1368019430132.txt
Hamlet, Sage, Scheme, Feast, Nomad Camp, Worker's Village, Cultist, Haggler, Ill-Gotten Gains, Upgrade
Watno 1-1, 17-6

Somehow I miss that Haggler is really good in IGG games. He sacrifices a turn of tempo getting the Haggler and then proceeds to destroy me with the extra gain.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130508/log.50ad02dae4b0fb8e18c1ae6b.1368020371643.txt
Duchess, Chancellor, Forager, Storeroom, Philosopher's Stone, Feodum, Band of Misfits, Altar, Grand Market, Forge
Watno 2-1, 33-31

He opens Forager/Forager and uses BoM as Storeroom to win the GM split. My Feoda aren't enough to counter, and his deck doesn't clog quickly enough for me to sneak back.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130508/log.50ad02dae4b0fb8e18c1ae6b.1368021645120.txt
Fishing Village, Masquerade, Feodum, Procession, Spy, Golem, Graverobber, Mountebank, Pillage, Grand Market
Watno 3-1, 30-20

He builds a Graverobber/Pillage engine, and my Mountebanks can't slow him down enough.

Thanks for the games! YouTube videos to follow later today.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2013, 10:37:26 am »

Thanks for the games.
I found game 4 to be quite interesting, with completely different strategies and me using fancy DA combos. Looking forward to the videos.

Good luck in your next match.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 11:33:33 am »
+2

Mic Qsenoch 3 - 1 kn1tt3r

Game 1: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130507/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1367972031497.txt
This game features Ambassador and the pieces for an engine. Unfortunately the sources of +action are inconsistent (Tribute and Ironmonger). I open Ironmonger/Ambassador while he goes with Ambassador/Spice Merchant. He never picks up a second Ambassador so I eventually win the deck size war but he has a decent economy already. The lack of true +buy (not Spice Merchant) really hurts the Ambassador engine here. All the same I think I could have leveraged my thinner deck for a win if I had picked up a Remodel at some point to convert my Courtyards and any stuff he sends back to me into engine components. Close game, but he pulls out the win. I think his win will be more decisive if he ignores Alchemist, although possibly I could use it. But really it just seems slow without +buy. Good example of how not to build an engine by me.

Yeah, probably Alchemists have been a bad idea, especially with my growing deck size due to his constant Amb attacks. I sort of felt he outplayed me here and my lead wouldn't hold, but in the end my economy was sufficient. But I probably got really lucky here.

Game 2: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130507/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1367973243834.txt
I open 5/2 Mountebank/Squire to his Silver/Silver. That's more or less the game, although I have bad enough shuffle luck that we still split the curses. I am lucky to get Mercenaries first as well, but don't have great luck lining up Mercenaries with junk. So this is a game that I win mostly because of luck, where I also had some pretty rotten luck. I can whine despite my good fortune. Best of both worlds! Have my cake and eat it too! Another saying!

5/2 on this board is of course really strong, so this was at least a significant boost for him. That he got his Mercenaries way before I get one was even more decisive, and after that there was basically no chance for me to come back.

Game 3: I forgot the log
So this one had Duke/JoaT/Peddler/Expand/Graverobber/Forager. We both open Forager/Jack. And we both have nice luck drawing Foragers with Jack. So the Peddlers go pretty quick. Although I see the synergy for Peddler/Graverobber, I'm not convinced it's fast enough so I start on Duchies. I think you have to contest the Peddlers here even if you want to go for Dukes because you just can't let your opponent get all of them, and they should be useful anyway. Peddler split goes 6/4 to him. I do the classic "I'm going to buy Provinces even though I really want to win the Duchy split because that's just what you do with $8 hands" maneuver. It's a stupid maneuver. I win the Duchy split 5/3, and that's enough to win because we both buy Dukes which leads to a Duchy/Duke/Peddler three pile. He has a Graverobber but only plays it once so I think it must have missed a shuffle or been flipped by Jack. If that's the case, bad luck for him.

Log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130507/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1367973243834.txt
That was a very interesting and rather complicated board with Jack, Peddler plus good support, Graverobber and Duke. So this sort of ended up in some hybrid thing between a money and a action deck. I tried to pull of the Graverobber/Peddler thing, but the money from Jack prevents me from connecting both (though I felt I could have gotten a bit luckier here, since I basically drew Graverobber twice without a useful target). He tried to contest me a bit on Peddler, but basically went for some semi-Duke thing, which prevailed in the end. Pure Jack/Money/Duke would have probably beaten both of our "strategies".

Game 4: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130507/log.505c84d751c3249282789115.1367973658195.txt
I open Crossroads/Rebuild while he gets Fishing Village/Militia. I'm convinced that my Rebuild purchase is not correct here. There's serious engine potential here and I basically just ignore it completely. The +buy isn't great (Contraband) but you have options for engine pieces and VP (Gardens). Engine player should be able to play Militia every single turn. Upgrade lets you trim, Bureaucrat attacks and helps Gardens. Plenty of +action, Lab and Crossroads for draw. We both played this board miserably. He rushes down small VP to hinder my Rebuild, but I only have a single Rebuild (and nothing else to speak of). This just accelerates a 3-pile which lets me eke out a slim victory. He needs to build up his engine and extend this game to increase his Gardens value or just outscore me on Provinces.

Yes, I'm not so good with Rebuild, but I also think it's a bit overrated. So I tried something else on a board that is in principle suited for such an approach. But as he said I lost myself a bit between trying to do my own thing and contesting him on VP cards. I agree, bad play by both of us, but his was at least consistent and more or less straight forward.

I definitely had some luck on my side with 5/2 splits on good boards for them. Thanks for the match kn1tt3r!

Thanks as well. Nice matches with maybe some more luck on his side, but definately the overall better play too. A deserved win.

Avin

• Spy
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 12:24:38 pm »
+2

Avin beats gman314 4-2.

Game 1: Herbalist, Wishing Well, Workshop, Nomad Camp, Throne Room, Worker's Village, City, Graverobber, Inn, Witch
Winner: Avin
I started with a 5/2 split, so with the Witch opening it was just brutal.

Game 2: Courtyard, Crossroads, Apothecary, Loan, Tunnel, Watchtower, Conspirator, Remake, Festival, Rogue
Winner: gman314
We both used Remake into Festival / Watchtower / Conspirator, but gman didn't bother picking up much treasure and instead went much heavier on Conspirators, allowing him two turns with multiprovince buys for the win.

Game 3: Hermit, Scheme, Woodcutter, Horse Traders, Ironworks, Throne Room, Count, Minion, Royal Seal, King's Court
I started with another 5/2, allowing me to more easily win the Minion split. The end game was mostly just throning/King'sCourting Minions and a lone Horse Trader.

Game 4: Bridge, Sea Hag, Spice Merchant, Throne Room, Counterfeit, Harvest, Knights, Laboratory, Rebuild
After evenly splitting the curses from Sea Hag, gman snatched up Rebuilds more often to rush upgrading Estates to Duchies to Provinces. Avin tried mixing that with money to outright buy provinces but kept hitting 7.

Game 5: Poor House, Embargo, Great Hall, Loan, Wishing Well, Familiar, Worker's Village, Council Room, Treasury, Hunting Grounds
I stockpiled the Treasuries to get a lone platinum and buy colonies in spurts once the curses were exhausted, and with Worker's Village it was easy to end in piles once I had gotten a couple colonies lead.

I had gone first for Game 1 so we played a sixth game.

Game 6: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130507/log.50804653fca2b99a1806c3c1.1367979102626.txt
I thought I had lost when gman got his first two bridges connected sooner and was able to get over half the provinces, but somehow I was able to get exactly one more point than he had in my last megaturn.

Thanks for the games!

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2013, 01:07:01 pm »

YouTube videos from the philosophyguy/Watno match are now available:

I apologize for the occasional NSFW language.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2013, 01:45:29 pm »
+1

Game 1: Herbalist, Wishing Well, Workshop, Nomad Camp, Throne Room, Worker's Village, City, Graverobber, Inn, Witch
I started with a 5/2 split, so with the Witch opening it was just brutal.

Yeah, the opening just decided it.

Game 2: Courtyard, Crossroads, Apothecary, Loan, Tunnel, Watchtower, Conspirator, Remake, Festival, Rogue
We both used Remake into Festival / Watchtower / Conspirator, but gman didn't bother picking up much treasure and instead went much heavier on Conspirators, allowing him two turns with multiprovince buys for the win.
Yeah, I went more for a straight engine.

Game 3: Hermit, Scheme, Woodcutter, Horse Traders, Ironworks, Throne Room, Count, Minion, Royal Seal, King's Court
I started with another 5/2, allowing me to more easily win the Minion split. The end game was mostly just throning/King'sCourting Minions and a lone Horse Trader.
The opening was important, but I went with Count before any Minions to get some trashing going, which I thought was more important than getting an extra Minion. Also, using Count and Schemes to constantly topdeck Horse Traders really helped keep some good hands. I misplayed one of my KCed Minions on turn 15; had I not discarded when I did, I would have been able to keep some stuff going. I discarded an action-light hand and got a no-action hand. Playing this again, I also would have either not gone for any Madmen, or would have gone for a bunch, not the single Madman I did get.

Game 4: Bridge, Sea Hag, Spice Merchant, Throne Room, Counterfeit, Harvest, Knights, Laboratory, Rebuild
After evenly splitting the curses from Sea Hag, gman snatched up Rebuilds more often to rush upgrading Estates to Duchies to Provinces. Avin tried mixing that with money to outright buy provinces but kept hitting 7.
That pretty much sums it up.

Game 5: Poor House, Embargo, Great Hall, Loan, Wishing Well, Familiar, Worker's Village, Council Room, Treasury, Hunting Grounds
I stockpiled the Treasuries to get a lone platinum and buy colonies in spurts once the curses were exhausted, and with Worker's Village it was easy to end in piles once I had gotten a couple colonies lead.
What really frustrated me here was that I got Familiar first but then lost the curse split. Treasuries were much more important than I expected.

I had gone first for Game 1 so we played a sixth game.

Game 6: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130507/log.50804653fca2b99a1806c3c1.1367979102626.txt
I thought I had lost when gman got his first two bridges connected sooner and was able to get over half the provinces, but somehow I was able to get exactly one more point than he had in my last megaturn.
I was also totally surprised by Avin's comeback in the last turn. I thought I had it.

Thanks for the games!

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2013, 05:08:25 pm »
+1

Beyond Awesome - florrat: 1 - 3

Game 1: Duchess, Ambassador, Conspirator, Moneylender, Pirate Ship, Rats, Counting House, Laboratory, Rebuild, Border Village
Beyond Awesome went basically Moneylender BM, I went for Border Village + Conspirator, despite the lack of +Buy. I was 1 turn later than he was, which costed me the match.
Beyond Awesome wins

Game 2: Lighthouse, Bridge, Nomad Camp, Quarry, Sea Hag, Trader, Cartographer, Harvest, Grand Market, Forge
We both went Quarry into Grand Market. With my Cartographer in turn 6 I could guarantee that my Quarries would collide in turn 7 (but I was still lucky to be in that situation, of course), and the early Grand Market gave me a huge advantage, which was too much to overcome.
florrat wins

Game 3: Cellar, Haven, Feast, Ironmonger, Throne Room, Worker's Village, Cultist, Explorer, Tribute, Expand
Even though our opening was almost the same -both opening Silver/Ironmonger into getting 2 Cultists - I was able to win the Ruins split 7-3, because his Cultists both missed a shuffle.
florrat wins

Game 4: Secret Chamber, Chancellor, Lookout, Bazaar, Cultist, Graverobber, Pillage, Goons, Possession, Peddler
An attack-heavy board. I opened Silver/Lookout against Silver/Silver, and I got lucky still reaching 5 and 6 in turns 3-5. I (read: my luck) again managed to win the Ruins split 7-3 with the same number of Cultists (although Lookout did help there; I guess my main luck was in getting the Cultists as early as he did). This meant that I could get a Goons enigine going on, while Beyond Awesome couldn't.
florrat wins

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2013, 05:44:02 pm »
+1

werothegreat plays terribly, losing to SheCan'tSayNo 0-3.

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130508/log.505c6195a2e6c78ad2ed5a99.1368047573639.txt
A fairly close game - came down to whoever could Governor the most Golds into Provinces.  I probably should have gotten a Province and an Estate on my last turn instead of two Duchies, but I doubt that would have made a difference.

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130508/log.505c6195a2e6c78ad2ed5a99.1368048580153.txt
SheCan'tSayNo opens double Ambassador, and is able to whittle her deck down to almost nothing, leaving me to crawl through the mire that is my own deck.  I buy tons of Victory cards, but that's just not enough against 7 Colonies.

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130508/log.505c6195a2e6c78ad2ed5a99.1368049160306.txt
I thought I might have had this one, but the board was not very good for Feoda, which I probably should have ignored in favor of Vineyards.

Congratulations to SheCan'tSayNo.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2013, 06:22:33 pm »

PitrPicko defeats D Bo 3-1

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130508/log.505e26a6a2e6fa3316de1578.1368049188945.txt

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130508/log.505e26a6a2e6fa3316de1578.1368050548911.txt

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130508/log.505e26a6a2e6fa3316de1578.1368050961730.txt

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130508/log.505e26a6a2e6fa3316de1578.1368051452566.txt

Thanks for the games and good luck next round! Overall, kind of a dull series I thought. PitrPicko definitely outplayed me on the second game - I should've not bought the province and gone into Duke/Duchy earlier in that one if I wasn't going the Bishop route. The last two games were pretty boring, but you gotta win those too! Which I did not...

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2013, 08:56:27 pm »

in the middle of my match. so far it is 1-0-2. (yes, two ties). How does the scoring for this work? I know we play a maximum of six games... but what happens if, say, it is 2-1-3 at the end?

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2013, 08:58:24 pm »

in the middle of my match. so far it is 1-0-2. (yes, two ties). How does the scoring for this work? I know we play a maximum of six games... but what happens if, say, it is 2-1-3 at the end?

"B. After six games, neither player has won three games.  The match is a draw."

I suspect I'll be changing that for the next season, but too late right now.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2013, 12:19:45 am »
+2

Robz888 defeats bama, 3-0-2.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130508/log.514cd37de4b0fe3236619906.1368069569533.txt
I suspect this could be a rather complicated set, but my opponent doesn't contest Cultists until it's too late, resulting in a 9-1 Ruins split. What he's doing with his deck is way more interesting, though: Some kind of Turbo Remodel with Market Square activation and Procession. He wisely goes straight for Fairgrounds, whereas I uncertainly reach for Provinces. But in the end foregoing Cultist is just too costly for him, I think.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130508/log.514cd37de4b0fe3236619906.1368070073770.txt
I straight outplay him here. He gets an appealing 5/2 start--Trading Post looks strong here--but then sort of squanders it by also getting Remake later (it's a Shelters board) and then going Poorhouse but also money? And he adds Contraband to his deck, mistaking it for Counterfeit. I go Potion right off the bat for a simple Alchemist stack, mix in a Trading Post, and my deck is essentially Golden by Turn 9.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130508/log.514cd37de4b0fe3236619906.1368070533519.txt
This is just a Masq BM game. I pair my Masq with Lookout, but that doesn't pan out too well. I offensively pass it to him later, but he gives it right back. I'm very lucky to tie this up by holding onto an Estate at the end.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130508/log.514cd37de4b0fe3236619906.1368071331675.txt
Masq again, although this board at least presents some interesting alternatives, like Jack and Hermit. But Masquerade is just SO strong (we used to think this was the second best $3 card? What madness...). Well, he pares his with Jack anyway, and we both pile drive the Hunting Parties. I suspect his excess Silvers might actually give me the advantage--there's no plus buy here, so in a way they are just overkill and could disrupt the HP stack--but no, we trade Colonies back and forth and it's another tie.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130508/log.514cd37de4b0fe3236619906.1368072322122.txt
This is a big Golem engine with great draw, village support, and Monuments! I buy my Potion earlier, and spike an early Hunting Grounds, which really helps. I think he mostly gets unlucky though, although he has an early turn where he takes Province and I think Monument, when he definitely should have gotten a second Golem. Later he has trouble finding his Native Villages, and I spectacularly get ALL my junk onto the NV mat.

Thanks for the games!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

PitrPicko

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2013, 11:20:57 am »
+1

Yeah. Thank you too. This wasn't really interesting at all. Maybe first two games. In first one I didn't get Bishop and it was probably a mistake. I should also built my "engine" better.

In second one I went bishop fortress and was really scared when you got your fifth duchy, but in each of last turns I was able to do 9VP, so that was pretty secure. First time bishop fortress for me and it is really nice :)

Third one was doubleJack vs Cultist and doubleJack showed his power.

And in last one I've got lucky with 5/2 opening gaining vault on vault/countryard/tunnel/BM board. Well when my vault and countryard colided... on turn 5... I wasn't happy at all, but as you were having trouble to colide vault with tunnel I had some economy lead. Nothing you could do there...

Anyway thanks again for games and good luck in round 5 :)

PitrPicko defeats D Bo 3-1

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130508/log.505e26a6a2e6fa3316de1578.1368049188945.txt

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130508/log.505e26a6a2e6fa3316de1578.1368050548911.txt

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130508/log.505e26a6a2e6fa3316de1578.1368050961730.txt

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130508/log.505e26a6a2e6fa3316de1578.1368051452566.txt

Thanks for the games and good luck next round! Overall, kind of a dull series I thought. PitrPicko definitely outplayed me on the second game - I should've not bought the province and gone into Duke/Duchy earlier in that one if I wasn't going the Bishop route. The last two games were pretty boring, but you gotta win those too! Which I did not...

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2013, 11:39:17 am »

Joseph2302 beats A Drowned Kernel 3-0

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130509/log.51102f16e4b0fb53a9f92227.1368111861547.txt
Joe goes for bishop/treasure map which is more sensible than my baron/p. stone.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130509/log.51102f16e4b0fb53a9f92227.1368112665842.txt
Bandit Camp based engines. I totally forget how hermit and madman work, playing procession on them.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130509/log.51102f16e4b0fb53a9f92227.1368113489134.txtS
Familiar and Scrying Pool. Joe picks up multiple potions, which lets him overtake me pretty quickly. I waste my time with hunting grounds.

Thanks for the games, Joseph2302, and well played. I was playing very abysmally today, but I hope you had fun.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2013, 03:54:23 pm »

Joseph2302 beats A Drowned Kernel 3-0

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130509/log.51102f16e4b0fb53a9f92227.1368111861547.txt
Joe goes for bishop/treasure map which is more sensible than my baron/p. stone.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130509/log.51102f16e4b0fb53a9f92227.1368112665842.txt
Bandit Camp based engines. I totally forget how hermit and madman work, playing procession on them.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130509/log.51102f16e4b0fb53a9f92227.1368113489134.txtS
Familiar and Scrying Pool. Joe picks up multiple potions, which lets him overtake me pretty quickly. I waste my time with hunting grounds.

Thanks for the games, Joseph2302, and well played. I was playing very abysmally today, but I hope you had fun.

First game was very interesting, completely opposite strategies (deck-thinning against deck enlarging), was quite close.

Second game was quite close as well, definitely think tactician/madman was ultimately the thing that won it for me, winning on a treble province turn using it.

Third game A Drowned Kernel was pretty unlucky i think- I managed to draw 3 familiars in 1 turn with scrying pool, which basically tipped the game in my favour, and was probably very lucky.

Thanks for playing, A Drowned Kernel
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2013, 08:49:15 pm »
+2

Liopoil and 17and3buys tie, 2-2-2.

Game One:
http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130508/log.50ac3ac8e4b0fb8e18c1aa4b.1368059036808.txt
Liopoil 11-2 17and3buys. Board had familiar, university and minion as key cards. I get Familiar first and also get an early mercenary with urchin-familiar. From there I dig into minions and universities, and a couple squires. I get a couple provinces ahead and three pile by buying out 5 squires in two turns (curses and minions were the other piles).

Game Two:
http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130508/log.50ac3ac8e4b0fb8e18c1aa4b.1368060005513.txt
Liopoil 27-27 17and3buys (tie). I go for a wandering minstrel-smithy engine with warehouse for even more sifting! He does something more money-ish. He gets ahead, but I catch up with a double-province turn. On the last turn I upgrade into a duchy and buy the last province, thinking I win because of the duchy, but he gave me two curses with young witch and had an extra estate, so it was a tie.

Game Three:

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130508/log.50ac3ac8e4b0fb8e18c1aa4b.1368060707508.txt
Liopoil 40-40 17and3buys (another tie!)
Terrible board here, so we go big money. This game the only actions I bought were one embassy, a navigator, and a treasury. He bought a village and a treasury. Our treasuries we a mistake, because we started greening soon after. His village didn’t do anything because he didn’t have a single terminal action, let alone two. I feel like my navigator and embassy should have certainly been better than pure BM. In the end we do a ton of greening.  We split the entire estate pile and each get three duchies. I buy the last province knowing it is a tie.

Game Four:
I don’t have a log for this one, which is a shame because it was the best game. The final score was something like 55-54 in his favor. Navigator is here again, along with fishing village, pawn, farmland, duke, and band of misfits. I get 5-2 and open BoM-Pawn. BoM was actually quite good with Big money here because it could be a fishing village or a navigator, depending on if I needed 1 or 2 coins. It could even be pawn for +buy. Anyway, we split the duchies and dukes evenly. The estates and provinces are untouched, two piles are empty, and there are only 8 pawns.  Our decks are pretty bad because we each have 4 duchies and 4 dukes. I’m not sure whether the better play here is to go for estates for the three-pile, or try to build up to provinces. We end up both going for provinces. I have a 4-3 lead in provinces and buy two estates, with the power to buy three more estates on my next turn. I think I have it in the bag, but then I realize he had bought a farmland, so buying the last province would result in yet another tie. However, he is able to get and estate and a province and so wins by a point.

I had to leave after those, so we adjourned, and finished just now.

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130509/log.50ac3ac8e4b0fb8e18c1aa4b.1368145967893.txt
I win this one, barely, 44-41. More big money, with crossroads to help with greening.

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130509/log.50ac3ac8e4b0fb8e18c1aa4b.1368146540463.txt
He wins this easily. He does for duchy/duke. I don't. That was a mistake. score was 54-47, but I think he was winning the whole way.

Thanks for the match, 17and3buys! Easily my favorite match yet, and the only one to go 6 games.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 09:48:12 pm by liopoil »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.