Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Exception to the rule: keeping bad cards  (Read 10040 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Re: Exception to the rule: keeping bad cards
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 05:20:59 am »

You have a Venture in hand and nothing in your draw pile?

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 05:31:34 am »

you have trader in hand and want an extra silver for your feodums and you have allready 6$ to buy 2 silvers or 8$ to buy 2 feodums

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 08:39:59 am »

Oh yes, d'oh. I think too complicated. You can just use the buy for another card if you have enough money and gain an additional Estate.
But maybe someone can think of what I had in mind.

It still works if Estate has Embargo Tokens on it. Or if Coppers are out (somebody KCed Beggar all the time) and you have Haggler in play. Any case where gaining the Estate is better than buying it.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 08:57:43 am »

Yes there are really too many answers for this. You could know there is a warehouse in your remaining cards and choose to keep the poor card for discarding next turn (also scenarios where you buy an inn). You could expect masquerade to be played next turn and want a bad card to pass. You could expect to be possessed next turn. You could expect combination attacks such as ghost ship with jester to come from your opponent each turn. You could be wanting to play a cartographer or navigator this turn without reshuffling. There could be just one copper in your deck so leaving it on top means that a hunting party would definitely draw the copper and then search for a unique card. The copper could provide good value to a harvest. And so on.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:01:02 am by DG »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 09:17:36 am »

Yes there are really too many answers for this. You could know there is a warehouse in your remaining cards and choose to keep the poor card for discarding next turn (also scenarios where you buy an inn). You could expect masquerade to be played next turn and want a bad card to pass. You could expect to be possessed next turn. You could expect combination attacks such as ghost ship with jester to come from your opponent each turn. You could be wanting to play a cartographer or navigator this turn without reshuffling. There could be just one copper in your deck so leaving it on top means that a hunting party would definitely draw the copper and then search for a unique card. The copper could provide good value to a harvest. And so on.

I was trying to figure out how to specify that the goal of the play was to avoid drawing Copper into hand, without also completely giving it away. With the whole "it could be Copper or Curse or Estate or Ruins" thing I was trying to eliminate any such answers that involved the specific card name (such as Hunting Party or Menagerie or Harvest), but I didn't word it well enough.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 09:57:10 am »

I was trying to figure out how to specify that the goal of the play was to avoid drawing Copper into hand, without also completely giving it away. With the whole "it could be Copper or Curse or Estate or Ruins" thing I was trying to eliminate any such answers that involved the specific card name (such as Hunting Party or Menagerie or Harvest), but I didn't word it well enough.

That doesn't eliminate those answers, even if it's any bad card. You could still want that Curse, and especially Ruins, with any card that requires different names.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 11:09:22 am »

Oh yes, d'oh. I think too complicated. You can just use the buy for another card if you have enough money and gain an additional Estate.

Silk Road wants more Estates?
You want to Farmland the Estate in hand into a $4?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12869
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 11:12:51 am »

Buying and Watchtowering Rats while the Estate pile is empty, so your hand will miss the reshuffle, and having your entire hand miss the reshuffle is more powerful than buying a $5-8 card instead and having the single Estate miss the reshuffle is more powerful than buying an additional $1-4 card. For example, your discard pile could be KC KC Bridge Bridge Bridge and your hand could be the entire Curse pile and 30 coppers: in this situation, I believe it would be the correct play to skip a Province buy for triggering the reshuffle now.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:15:30 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 11:14:34 am »

*ding* *ding* We have a winner. That's what I had in mind.

But you all had some pretty good answers.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 11:17:48 am »

*ding* *ding* We have a winner. That's what I had in mind.

But you all had some pretty good answers.

Which answer? I have two. :)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 11:27:33 am »

I think it was the Farmland one. The other one's nowhere near edge-casey enough.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 11:31:55 am »

I didn't see two, it's one. You don't discard the Estate to gain another one and buy a Farmland to trash the Estate into a Silk Road, so a Farmland and Silk Road extra. If you have no other cards in hand than Treasure cards and this Estate it makes no difference because you have $10 if you discard it and can buy a Farmland and a Silk Road too, but with a Gold, Gold, Baron, Estate, Province hand it matters. As Baron is pretty good with Silk Road I like this scenario because it may actually come up.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2013, 11:59:13 am »

That doesn't eliminate those answers, even if it's any bad card. You could still want that Curse, and especially Ruins, with any card that requires different names.

What I meant was that you would make the exact same decision if that Copper had been a Curse, without changing any other parameters of your deck. So you can't say "Your deck only has one Copper and you want more unique cards" if you're talking about a Curse instead... you would have to change your answer to "Your deck only has one Curse..." With the actual Sage/Golem answer, nothing at all about the deck or the answer needs to change for the solution to work, even if that Copper magically transformed into a Curse or Estate.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2013, 09:12:10 pm »

A few additional options:

1. You are discarding two big cards for your Outpost turn (e.g. two Minions, two Apothecaries, two Libs, two Tr in an early Alchemist deck, etc.) and then playing a Moat. Discarding a junk card first means you have a 1/3 chance of drawing both your big cards. Leaving any random junk card makes it 100% than you will have at least one of them in your 3 card hand.
2. You expect to be hit with a Masquerade next turn and want to be sure to have the junk in hand to pass.
3. You have 5 Treasuries or other means of top decking 5 cards during cleanup, leaving the junk on top makes for good Swindler/Knights/Rogue defense (it also works well against Pirate Ship/Thief/Noble Brigand a bit more situationally). You can also use this to stack the deck so your opponent's Tribute hits junk instead of action (really hilarious to do with curses, people HATE it when you perpetually top deck the two curses you bought against their Tribute engine).
4. You expect to be hit by a Minion next turn and would rather have it in the discard than in your 4 card hand.
5. Rebuild and Farming Village can follow the same logic as Sage/Golem - if you leave the card on top before play, you will be able to discard after drawing the card you really want (e.g. Rebuild on top - name Estate, reveal past your junk, shuffle up a new draw deck, reveal & Rebuild a Duchy into a Province, discard the junk).
6. You want to Island/Native village away the junk next turn or this respectively.
7. You need discard fodder for the next card down next turn. E.g. you know you will draw junk/Hamlet/Smithy, leaving the junk lowers the odds of having to discard something strong to the Inn. E.g. you know next hand will be junk/Tac
8. You want to be able to play more cards without digging into the deck. E.g. you played Spy, drew Scout (thanks to Swindler) and want to play the Scout to get free Peddlers. Discarding the junk increases the odds that your Scout will turn up Nobles that you don't want this turn (you have no other cash/buys in deck).

papaHav

• Navigator
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 12:51:37 am »

Contraband correctly prevented you from buying the last estate. Play baron gain it

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 09:49:30 am »

Contraband correctly prevented you from buying the last estate. Play baron gain it

Assuming that you played Contraband during your Black Market buy, of course.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.