Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: GOKODOM I: Round 3 Results and Discussion  (Read 22124 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
GOKODOM I: Round 3 Results and Discussion
« on: April 29, 2013, 11:57:40 am »
+3

Round 2 of GokoDom I is here.

How to Play Your Match

1. Go to the spreadsheet and find your name.  Your opponent for this round is right next to your name.  PM that person and work out an agreeable time to play, and choose a room to meet in--I suggest something unlikely to be crowded. Match Results are due no later than Monday 06 May 2013 at 1200 GMT -- 0800 EDT -- 0500 PDT.

2. The player with the most sets will host each game using random cards in Unrated mode.  That player should also take responsibility for saving game logs.

3. The first player for the first game will be decided randomly by Goko.

4. The player who lost the previous game will be the first player for the next game.  This may require you to resign/restart a game.  In Unrated mode, it doesn't matter who resigns.

5. If a game was tied, the player who was the second player in the tie game will be the first player in the next game.

6. Play a minimum of three games, and a maximum of six games, based on the next section.  If any game was a tie, the sixth game will be played.

How to Score Your Match

1. The following situations automatically settle the match:

A. Player A has three wins after 3 or 4 games.  Player A wins.
B. After six games, neither player has won three games.  The match is a draw.

2. If, after 5 games, the match is 3-2, then:

A. If the leader played the first game, win or loss, as the second player, the match is over, and that player wins.
B. If the leader played the first game, win or loss, as the first player, play a sixth game, with the leader as the second player.  If the leader wins or ties that game, he wins the match; otherwise the match ends in a draw.

How to Post Your Match

In this thread, make a post that includes links to your game logs, the final score, and the winner and loser of the match.

You must post your results by the deadline listed above.

What If We Can't Figure Out a Time?

There are two situations here:

If you have sent a PM to your opponent, but they have not responded to two separate PMs, send me a PM.  If they do not respond, you will be awarded a win by default.
If both players are in contact but are unable to find a mutually agreeable time, both players should send me PMs; both players will receive a draw by default.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Green Opal

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Re: GOKODOM I: Round 3 Results and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 03:54:12 pm »
+3

Green Opal defeats RTT 3-0
Game 1 41-35 http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130429/log.5062cd4f0cf225c46708e7c3.1367259089331.txt
A fairly straightforward salvager-FG board with me as first player. My likely misstep of buying a jester over fool's gold doesn't come back to punish me.
Game 2 40-35 http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130429/log.5062cd4f0cf225c46708e7c3.1367259569149.txt
I try for bishop-steward into a golden deck, while RTT goes for heavier bishop play. It gets very dicey at the end, but I manage to steal the win with a border village-duchy penultimate turn giving me some extra trash fodder.
Game 3 39-23 http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130429/log.5062cd4f0cf225c46708e7c3.1367260112690.txt
Further bad luck for RTT with a 5-2 start on a young witch/fishing village bane board. He manages to accrue enough FVs to block the majority of my curses, but I have an edge in money and some nice library draws to take the win.

Thanks for the games RTT! no doubt were we to play them again things could go very differently...

Posted
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:11:04 am by Kirian »

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 03:59:56 pm »
+3

Rabid 3 vs A Drowned Kernel 2

Thanks for hosting A Drowned Kernel I really enjoyed the match.

Game 1
Storeroom, Wishing Well, Gardens, Remake, Smithy, Spy, Council Room, Junk Dealer, Market, Goons
With shelters I am able to trash down, then play 2 goons per turn.
With single goons this might have been close, but with double Goons a clear win against Council room money.

Game 2
Haven, Urchin, Procession, Rats, Young Witch, Apprentice, Mint, Venture, Border Village, Nobles, King's Court
I missed the Kings court from page 2 :(
Very strange board, I'm sure with more darkages practice you could get the venture engine going several turns quicker. Add in KC and this becomes really silly.

Game 3

Forager, Hermit, Spice Merchant, Wandering Minstrel, Ghost Ship, Horn of Plenty, Rebuild, Rogue, Stables, Possession
I mess up the opening on this HoP mega turn board.
A Drowned Kernel Forager / Spice meachant is better than my hermit / spice merchant.
Nearly steal the win with Possession but it is not to be.

Game 4
Vagrant, Fishing Village, Familiar, Ironworks, Island, JackOfAllTrades, Noble Brigand, Contraband, Library, Tactician
My JoAT against tactician into familiar.
I draw Jack as card 11, then on turn 7 concentrating on making sure I don't make both Jacks miss the reshuffle I trash one of them :(
With the curses slowing me down, A Drowned Kernel uses Tacticians nicely to take the last 2 Provs and the game.

Game 5

Menagerie, Scheme, Conspirator, Horse Traders, Militia, Pirate Ship, Ill-Gotten Gains, Junk Dealer, Vault, Harem
My Junk dealer / - vs Horse Traders into IGG.
Junk dealer keeps the curses away and I build to a scheme powered Conspirator engine and the win.

Thanks again for the match.
Hope we get to play again soon.

Posted
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:11:32 am by Kirian »
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 05:40:41 pm »

Game 3

Forager, Hermit, Spice Merchant, Wandering Minstrel, Ghost Ship, Horn of Plenty, Rebuild, Rogue, Stables, Possession
I mess up the opening on this HoP mega turn board.
A Drowned Kernel Forager / Spice meachant is better than my hermit / spice merchant.
Nearly steal the win with Possession but it is not to be.

My plan was to trash all my HoP's the turn after you bought the Possession but I panicked and pulled the trigger too early. I also think I need to break the habit of automatically going for cursers, especially seeing how much I got trounced in that last game. I remember from Iso what a formidable player you are so I'm glad I was able to hold my own in at least a couple of these games. :)
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 05:47:18 pm »

Well, looks like Robz and I are playing full base!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 08:43:07 pm »

Unless one of you caves and buys!  ;)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 08:56:27 pm »
+1

Alas, it was eventually going to happen.  I didn't want to move people too many categories up or down, and (this is unsurprising to me) those with no cards have tended to end up toward the bottom.  I didn't really expect Robz to be near the bottom, though, cards or not, based on past performance.

Robz, you are a mutual fund apparently.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 10:23:37 pm »

Alas, it was eventually going to happen.  I didn't want to move people too many categories up or down, and (this is unsurprising to me) those with no cards have tended to end up toward the bottom.  I didn't really expect Robz to be near the bottom, though, cards or not, based on past performance.

Robz, you are a mutual fund apparently.

Yeah, I really, really, really bombed hard in this tournament.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 10:58:01 pm »

Unless one of you caves and buys!  ;)

Ooh ooh Robz can!!!!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 11:40:05 pm »

soo, how many rounds this thing have?

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 01:52:13 am »

5 Swiss rounds, then 3 playoff rounds.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 02:52:14 am »

From the FAQ thread:

I think the tournament should be run differently!

That's not a question.

I lolled so hard at this.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 03:16:18 am »

Edit: Ok, this doesn't work

@Robz, mail-mi

Something that miiiiight work is if someone with all the cards creates the game, one of you sits down, the creator clicks "leave game", and the other takes the creator's seat.

I'm not sure whether that would actually give you all the cards, or whether someone else can take that seat at all, but if you can find someone to do that it might be worth a try. It shouldn't be too big of a burden on the creator if you're fine with waiting on him to finish his games that he plays simultaneously with yours.

I don't have much time this week and I have no idea what time-zone you guys are in, but if you post here a couple of days+times that you are both free to play, I'll see what I can do or maybe another player bites :)

If one of you wants to test whether this works: pm me when you see me online and we'll test it with a bot.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:50:32 am by SheCantSayNo »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 03:36:16 am »
+1

it doesn't work. I tried once.
btw I now have all the sets as well

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 11:39:42 am »

It's going to be hilarious if this happens in the finals.

Avin

• Spy
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 04:50:42 pm »

Joseph2302 vs Avin, 3-0

Game 1: Fool's Gold, Storeroom, Watchtower, Bridge, Count, Rabble, Treasury, Witch, Harem, Peddler, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse
Comments: Joseph got 3 witches, money, and gold. I tried to get fancy and it wasn't worth it.

Game 2: Courtyard, Fool's Gold, Menagerie, City, Explorer, Merchant Ship, Minion, Rogue, Vault, Possession, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion
Comments: I opened Fool's Gold and immediately regretted it, but foolishly decided to commit to it rather than back off and go Minions which was clearly the better strategy.

Game 3: Poor House, University, Fortune Teller, Alchemist, Familiar, Silk Road, Worker's Village, Counterfeit, Jester, King's Court, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion
Comments: I hit 2 + potion 4 times in a row (once it was 2 + 2 potion even) which made me think I was doomed with the curse split, so I'm really surprised it ended up even. The Jesters helped I think. Had I hit 3p more often early I would have gotten started with Alchemists sooner and might have been able to pull off the win but it was too late in this game.

Posted
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:12:08 am by Kirian »

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 04:54:13 pm »
+1

A good set of games, I think they were closer than the 3-0 suggests. I definitely think I played boring, reliable strategies (lots of witches, lots of minions), whereas Avin's strategies were more inventive and fancy. On another day they might have worked, but unfortunately not today. 3rd game was definitely horridly unlucky for Avin. Thanks for playing Avin. :)
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 05:32:36 pm »
+3

Qvist vs. michaeljb 3-0 (but in total only 107-104)

Pretty boring, but close games, overall.
Game 1: 33-32 - Jack of All Trades / Oasis against Squire / Mint. He went pretty straight forward Jack with the support of Oases and one Junk Dealer while I spammed Silver with Squire, Mint and Jack. I originally planned to get some Labs and an Explorer, but I just spammed Silver. He got points early, but then I got a better deck with many Silvers. He got a 8VP lead with only Province left. We duchy-danced for a while. Then he makes the mistake to not buy an Estate in a $4 hand what allows me to end this game in a 1-point win.
Game 2: 45-45 (win on turns) - Very weak board where I played Double Scavenger-BM going straight for Provinces while he got one Scavenger and the second later, but got a lot of Nobles. I only got one of them and tried to outrace him on Provinces. With 6 Silvers in my deck I preferred Feodum over Duchy because I expected a longer game. I thought he could end the game on a win because I thought I only had 5 Silvers, but he would have tied me (and lose on turns) and counted correctly and bought a Duchy. I picked up some more Feoda and he Duchies until it was the same dilemma again. This time he got the Province to end this game in an unlucky tied win for me.
Game 3: 29-27 - And another Jack of All Trades. Here I went straight forward Double Jack with one Junk Dealer while he added Cutpurse and Bandit Camps. He trashed all of his Estates while I kept 2 Estates. He had a 7VP lead and we alternated Province buys. I had to buy the second last Province to be 1VP behind and indeed he had only enough for a Duchy, so I could buy the last Province and win.

Thanks for the games michaeljb and sorry for the luck I had. Good luck in the rest of the tournament.

Posted
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:12:28 am by Kirian »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:13:13 am by Kirian »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 05:51:02 pm »
+1

florrat - bama: 3-1

Game 1: Secret Chamber, Apothecary, Shanty Town, Philosopher's Stone, Remodel, Scout, Wandering Minstrel, City, Rogue, Expand
We both opened 5/2. Bama opened Rogue/SC and I opened Potion/SC. We both tried to build an Apothecary engine. My engine worked out better, don't know if that's because I opened with potion, or if I was luckier in the start. I won 34-19.

Game 2: Hamlet, Pawn, University, Warehouse, Bridge, Conspirator, Silk Road, Counterfeit, Farmland, Hunting Grounds
This was an interesting game. I basically went Hamlet/Hunting Grounds with Counterfeit for trashing, while bama went Conspirator with Counterfeit for trashing and hamlet/warehouse to start the chain. I thought it would be hard to start the conspirator chain, but I couldn't be more wrong... He succeeded most of his last turns (dunno what part of that was luck), which led to his win 30-42.

Game 3: Vineyard, Woodcutter, Caravan, Horse Traders, Scavenger, Cartographer, Festival, Minion, Mint, Upgrade
We both went for a minion engine. Bama trashed most of his money by buying a mint, while I trashed them by opening upgrade on my first turn with $5. I got a (lucky) double province turn, which was too much to keep up for bama. The game ended 27-26.

Game 4: Poor House, Beggar, Chapel, Apothecary, Feodum, Procession, Rats, Duke, Outpost, Tribute
We followed very different stategies, which both didn't work out that well. Bama went chapel into poor house+procession (with rats support) into beggar. I went Apothecary + beggar. I probably shouldn't have opened beggar, since these would make my potions and apothecaries less frequent. We both hesitated between Duchy + Duke vs Provinces. When the Duchies were out, I still reached an occasional province, which led to my win 49-35. But maybe Chapel Big Money was better than both our strategies here.

Posted
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:15:04 am by Kirian »

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 08:58:06 am »

The bug causing too few colony games has been fixed.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 09:09:51 am »

The bug causing too few colony games has been fixed.

Woot, finally.

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:37:38 am by Kirian »

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 03:59:10 pm »

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:37:56 am by Kirian »

17and3buys

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 05:05:17 pm »

Glad we could find a time to play despite time zone differnce and my full schedule. Thx for playing, 17and3buys

You're welcome. I'm glad it worked out, even if it wasn't to my advantage... LOL. Someday I'm gonna win those close games.  :-P
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.