Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Can we have another one of these?  (Read 17464 times)

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Can we have another one of these?
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 03:27:32 pm »

we could make some of them negative. Like, "at the start of your next turn, discard down to 4 cards"

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 07:06:16 pm »
+2

Bumping because Guilds. I like LastFootnote's plan, and I think two contests for each expansion would be good: one free-for-all to produce a card with loose guidelines, with a follow-up specifically for the mechanics that were underrepresented. Cards that use multiple mechanics in a major way could be submitted into any applicable contest, and judges would be encouraged to vote for what they think best: the contests themselves would ensure the right mix of cards. That said, multiple 'second chances' challenges would probably be a good idea.

Dark Ages is something we might have to make exceptions for; the upgradeable cards and nonstandard supply piles could probably use a dedicated contest each.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 03:44:22 pm »
+3

I'd love to host another design contest.
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 08:59:59 pm »
+4

I don't mean any offence by this, but if someone else were to host something like this, I'd like it to be someone established and well respected in the community already. That, I feel, gives some degree of assurance of quality in the design topics, in schedule being followed and handling potentially tricky situations.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Nic

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 12:35:23 am »
+2

On the other hand, it would be nice if anybody got the ball rolling on this. I don't think anyone would mind if you started a thread to poll people on the contest categories and how things should be set up. When we get a response from Rinkworks or LastFootnote or whoever, you can hand the reins over to them with the most stressful part of the job already taken care of.

My guess is the reason no one's stepped up to the plate is because no one has any idea what this contest would look like. We want the cards to be thematic, and we want them to have the same mechanics and represent every expansion equally, but at the same time favor cards that mix and match and combine these things in new ways, and we have no concrete plan to achieve this. It doesn't help everyone has been looking forward to this since the old contest, and some people have high expectations.

Having a thread where we can reach consensus on all these issues will make the project a lot less daunting. Once somebody gets this out of the way, I'm sure the upstanding members of our community will be happy to volunteer for this gig. Not to mention, announcing the contest structure and categories well in advance of judging might boost the number of submissions.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 12:43:59 am by Nic »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 01:27:54 am »

/in
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 08:40:00 am »

announcing the contest structure and categories well in advance of judging might boost the number of submissions.

As if 8 pages of submissions per week wasn't enough to analyze last time around!  ;)

Good idea on getting the ball rolling by starting a suggestion thread, though.

I think the voting mechanism worked great last time, and that should just be ported into the next competition.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 09:16:56 am »
+2

On the other hand, it would be nice if anybody got the ball rolling on this. I don't think anyone would mind if you started a thread to poll people on the contest categories and how things should be set up. When we get a response from Rinkworks or LastFootnote or whoever, you can hand the reins over to them with the most stressful part of the job already taken care of.

My guess is the reason no one's stepped up to the plate is because no one has any idea what this contest would look like. We want the cards to be thematic, and we want them to have the same mechanics and represent every expansion equally, but at the same time favor cards that mix and match and combine these things in new ways, and we have no concrete plan to achieve this. It doesn't help everyone has been looking forward to this since the old contest, and some people have high expectations.

Having a thread where we can reach consensus on all these issues will make the project a lot less daunting. Once somebody gets this out of the way, I'm sure the upstanding members of our community will be happy to volunteer for this gig. Not to mention, announcing the contest structure and categories well in advance of judging might boost the number of submissions.

I did what you suggested.
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2013, 10:04:14 pm »
+4

Figured this might be the spot to type this up instead of within one of the mini-set design contest threads.

I am going to try and bring this up tactfully and respectfully as I don't want to step on toes. The first thing to say is thanks to LastFootnote for all the work he has done thus far. Very appreciative of the time and energy he has put into this thus far. The second thing to say is that if he wants to continue running this contest, he should absolutely be able to do so.

However, from the appearance of this contest completely stalling out over the last few weeks I am wondering if he might either some to help or someone to take over. Lastfootnote hasn't posted anywhere on the forums since he posted the cards for Intrigue. As a result we are left wondering what the next steps are and when they are going to happen. My hope is that Lastfootnote is okay and just taking an extended break and will be back shortly. If not, however, I don't think we should just let the contest disappear and with his permission perhaps find someone to help in the process or take over the process.

I don't have a specific candidate in mind. Unfortunately I can't volunteer myself. That is a discussion to be had after LF and the rest of us determine if he is coming back and if we want to continue it if he isn't.

Again, thanks to LF for all the work thus far. I hope you are doing well and hope to see you back on the forums if at all possible.

Nic

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2013, 10:23:48 pm »
+1

Figured this might be the spot to type this up instead of within one of the mini-set design contest threads.

I am going to try and bring this up tactfully and respectfully as I don't want to step on toes. The first thing to say is thanks to LastFootnote for all the work he has done thus far. Very appreciative of the time and energy he has put into this thus far. The second thing to say is that if he wants to continue running this contest, he should absolutely be able to do so.

However, from the appearance of this contest completely stalling out over the last few weeks I am wondering if he might either some to help or someone to take over. Lastfootnote hasn't posted anywhere on the forums since he posted the cards for Intrigue. As a result we are left wondering what the next steps are and when they are going to happen. My hope is that Lastfootnote is okay and just taking an extended break and will be back shortly. If not, however, I don't think we should just let the contest disappear and with his permission perhaps find someone to help in the process or take over the process.

I don't have a specific candidate in mind. Unfortunately I can't volunteer myself. That is a discussion to be had after LF and the rest of us determine if he is coming back and if we want to continue it if he isn't.

Again, thanks to LF for all the work thus far. I hope you are doing well and hope to see you back on the forums if at all possible.
If he's super busy or actually burnt out, he's probably not going to be browsing the forum to see this. Send him a PM, so he gets an email notification, and just say you're willing to cover the next few contests. Alternately, ask him to make a burner account and give it moderator privileges, and then PM the password to an appointee of his choosing.

HeavyD

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2013, 05:02:57 pm »

Lastfootnote hasn't posted anywhere on the forums since he posted the cards for Intrigue. As a result we are left wondering what the next steps are and when they are going to happen.

I'm pretty sure the next step would be a poll of voting for the top tier intrigue cards. Anybody could create a poll separate from the intrigue thread. Then again, I don't know how many submissions LFN was gonna include in the final intrigue vote.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2013, 05:07:18 pm »
+1

Blanket disappearances really rub me the wrong way. It is so easy to post a brief message saying, "I'm alive but so swamped I can't do this anymore!"
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 05:13:24 pm »

It's sad that people who do cool projects for this community seem to get burnt out quickly. Lastfootnote is following in the tracks of rinkworks, Qvist and even theory, and ragingduckd has been MIA since mid-October! I smell a conspiracy to take down the Dominion community! <_<  >_>

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2013, 05:20:44 pm »

It's sad that people who do cool projects for this community seem to get burnt out quickly. Lastfootnote is following in the tracks of rinkworks, Qvist and even theory, and ragingduckd has been MIA since mid-October! I smell a conspiracy to take down the Dominion community! <_<  >_>

It's totally fine that people get busy with other stuff, lose interest, whatever. And of course no one has any obligation to see projects to their conclusion here, it's all just a hobby. But I really and truly don't understand when people disappear without explanation. Just tell us so we can make appropriate contingency plans.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2013, 05:41:38 pm »

I don't like this either, but guys, it happened to me also. Sorry for that and I hope LastFootnote is feeling well.

ta56636

• Bishop
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2013, 06:29:38 pm »

I do also think that there is more of a focus on theory crafting (which is understandable, as that's arguably the more interesting part), rather than actually finishing and testing cards.

It then seems to be the case that cards are generated at a very rapid pace, then announced as the winner, and it's not even sure that anyone (including the maker) has ever played with them.

Therefore it becomes a bit of a hypothetical exercise.  I had the idea of the community card compendium (http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9604.0) but that doesn't seem to have generated much interest.

I originally came here to talk about my own ideas, but found myself very interested in other peoples ideas, but it's quite hard to separate the wheat from the chaff even in these more organised forms.

Just my 2c.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2013, 08:24:43 pm »
+1

I should jump in and say this. Lastfootnote has been online:
Last active November 06, 2013, 12:35:55 pm (MDT)
and hasn't responded to this or to a PM.

Like I said before I dont' have the time or necessarily the credentials to continue this project. But as he hasn't appeared to be interested in responding I think we need to consider finding someone else, not me, to continue this project if there is anyone that would be willing.

Volunteers? Nominations? Obviously if LF comes back and wants to continue it, I guess he should be able to do so (although I would suggest it would be in conjunction with whomever we find to step in), but just letting this die I think is the worst option we have.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2013, 11:32:10 pm »

If one person doesn't want to do it all themselves, there could be a "Card Design Contest" Account and then just have a couple of people (like 2 or 3) co-run it.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2013, 10:48:25 am »
+2

Guys, I'd just like to say that I'm sorry and that I'm back. But words are cheap. I'm going to put up two new contest threads, then I'll come back here and talk a little more about what happened.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2013, 11:11:28 am »
+9

OK, guys, the new contests are up. Soon I will deal with the Intrigue contest. Now I want to give some info about what happened to me for those of you who care. I don't have any really good excuses or anything, but I figure I owe inquiring minds an explanation.

So, Pokémon X and Y coming out was the catalyst for my long absence, but it sort of spiraled from there. The biggest problem is that I haven't played much Dominion myself lately. Up until about a month ago I could play it at work sometimes, but my current seating arrangement makes that tough. I have almost no free time at home any more because I have a 3-month-old son and my wife really does not look fondly on me doing stuff by myself after work. Most of my free gaming time is on the train during my commute to and from work. Hopefully Goko will get their act together and release a smartphone version of Dominion soon. Anyway, even though I can totally use these forums during work, the lack of actual Dominion in my life has meant that my brain hasn't really been in the Dominion Zone, as it were.

Anyhow, I'm going to try to somehow work in more time to play Dominion in order to keep myself in a Dominion mindset. After about a month off, I'm remembering why I abandoned Pokémon for Dominion in the first place, years ago. Dominion has most of the things I like about Pokémon (immense variety, skill-based play with some luck thrown in) with none of the bad things (huge upfront cost in time, everybody using the same things, which means the potential variety isn't really used). Also, the fDS community is worlds better than the competitive Pokémon community. It's like night and day.

Yuma, my update status seemed current because I sometimes clicked on the bookmark for the forum accidentally. I didn't see your PM/email until today. This is another facet of the issue. Since I updated to iOS 7 on my phone, I no longer get big ol' alerts when I get an email. I need to change that. Seeing contest submissions as they arrive should help to keep me engaged.

In conclusion, I apologize for flaking out like that. If it turns out that I can't handle the time necessary to keep these contests going, I promise I will hand them off to another person or persons before vanishing off the face of the Earth.

EDIT: I found the setting on my phone that alerts me to new emails even when it's locked. That should help.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 11:55:34 am by LastFootnote »

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2013, 12:23:07 pm »
+2

LFN, I hope you know we are all grateful for the work you are doing--this is so much fun for us. And you are under no obligation to continue if it's straining you!

Nic

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2013, 01:40:16 pm »
+1

Honestly, given the initial response on the Seaside and Intrigue ballots, I'm guessing other people were getting bored or burned out as well. Going on hiatus for a week or so each month might be best, especially since all the cards are going to have two rounds of voting.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2013, 07:35:07 pm »
+1

Yuma, my update status seemed current because I sometimes clicked on the bookmark for the forum accidentally. I didn't see your PM/email until today. This is another facet of the issue. Since I updated to iOS 7 on my phone, I no longer get big ol' alerts when I get an email. I need to change that. Seeing contest submissions as they arrive should help to keep me engaged.

No worries. I wondered if it was something like that. My main concern was for the contest to continue. Now I am just glad you are back with nothing more serious than a bad case of Pokemonitis...
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 20 queries.