Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: adventurer can be good in colony games  (Read 8494 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
adventurer can be good in colony games
« on: April 03, 2013, 02:27:48 pm »

Sorry, I was going to argue this in a more obscure subforum, but I thought it deserved its own thread (and the thread the adventurer-bashing came up in has veered off in another direction). I think this is a bit of an ignored area of strategy. The reason adventurer is so bad is that in an ordinary game, adventurer trades off with gold, but doesn't produce as much money on average as gold except with a bunch of work, that should probably be spent making some other strategy work instead. Add in that it's a terminal action and it's rare you'll want an adventurer.

With colony, adventurer is better. Not good, but better. In particular, a better buy than gold, starting relatively early, if you don't have another terminal action, because the expected value of the adventurer goes way up in a deck with even one platinum.

That is all.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: adventurer can be good in colony games
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 02:29:47 pm »

Sure, I've played one or two games where Adventurer digging for Platinums was a nice thing.  But it depends heavily on a pretty weak board.  With the advent of Dark Ages, I expect it to be incredibly hard to find boards like that now.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 02:53:43 pm »

Yeah, definitely.

Still needs copper-trashing, and an otherwise very weak board to work though.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 06:07:44 pm »

There is at least one situation where every card is good by itself, except curse. And maybe Scout.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 06:10:26 pm »

There is at least one situation where every card is good by itself, except curse. And maybe Scout.

By itself?  Adventurer isn't good by itself -- it needs good Treasure to draw!

Curse is good with Ambassador... ;)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 06:14:47 pm »

No. Its affect. Curse never has a good affect on a deck. Ambassador/Fairgrounds/Piles dont matter.
Adventurers affect specifically deals with treasure, wereas curse deals with nothing.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 06:39:38 pm »

Has anyone tried Adventurer at $5? I mean I guess DXV must have, but I can't find any commentary from him on the cost other than that it got into Base because he wanted to have a $6 in Base. Is there some slam-dunk reason it wouldn't work at $5? I can't think of any $5 that it's "strictly better" than.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 06:43:47 pm »

Has anyone looked into Adventure with Bank?  That might be a pretty good combo too, buying Adventurer at $6 and Bank at $7.
Well you *do* need a signature...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 06:59:15 pm »

Has anyone looked into Adventure with Bank?  That might be a pretty good combo too, buying Adventurer at $6 and Bank at $7.

That might be interesting to try, actually.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 07:01:29 pm »
+2

Has anyone tried Adventurer at $5? I mean I guess DXV must have, but I can't find any commentary from him on the cost other than that it got into Base because he wanted to have a $6 in Base. Is there some slam-dunk reason it wouldn't work at $5? I can't think of any $5 that it's "strictly better" than.

Compare adventurer to harvest. Adventurer is going to give you between +$2 and +$6 in most games, though can hit $10 or even more with PS. Even without copper trashing, it isn't too hard to get your Adventurer to give you $3 on average if you can stock up on silver. 

Harvest will give you between $1 and $4. Without copper trashing to spread out your deck, it will probably only give you a little more than $3 on average unless you have something to help activate it.

Adventurer will cycle more, and also lets you use the treasures it draws for other purposes. (With extra actions to spare, in can pull those annoying coppers until your hand to get trashed).

Obviously, there will be some games that Harvest is a better buy than adventurer. But I mean, without copper trashing and a hamlet in the game poor house is probably better than adventurer. But I think that, even though Harvest is a weaker $5, adventurer is a good deal better.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 07:05:06 pm »
+3

You can combo Adventurer with Mine.  Adventurer draws you Coppers so that Mine can upgrade them to Silvers which makes your subsequent Adventurers EVEN BETTER.  That's synergy right there folks.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 07:15:50 pm »

No. Its affect. Curse never has a good affect on a deck. Ambassador/Fairgrounds/Piles dont matter.
Adventurers affect specifically deals with treasure, wereas curse deals with nothing.
::)

Meh, this is just definition lawyering with the wrong form of effect to boot. The effect of adding a curse to your deck can, in sufficiently constrained scenarios, be quite good and superior to any other legal option.

Curse has the following innate advantages:
1. It is free.
2. It is low in quantity.
3. It is not of the same card type or name as anything else in the game.

Start with the third one. Curse works just fine for powering up Harvest. If you can draw your deck (thanks to some trashing) and discard cards (e.g. Horse traders), then buying a curse for nothing can give you 3 unique cards without using coin. Each play of Harvest can net an additional coin off the curse if you have nothing but your 3 or 4 unique cards in the discard. Say you intend to use a draw the whole deck (you used Loan to thin the deck), Tr -> Horse traders away 4 cards, and then Tr -> Harvest (discard Curse, Copper, Loan, Estate) for a whopping 14  total coin. In a tight deck, that curse increased your deck value by 5 (and increased it by two compared to buying a copper. I can't say I've done it often, but I will consider buying an untrashable curse if I'm going for a big engine with discard/Harvest as payout.

Next take the second, for a City deck, buying up curses can empower a megaturn. Say I have Kc/City deck. Buying 10 curses sucks up 10 card of draw (assuming no curse trashing), but I gain up to 27 cards worth of draw by activating my cities; each curse makes my potential fully drawable deck 1.7 cards larger. Activating the second time makes my deck potential 27 coin richer as well. This, of course, ignores the very useful quality in a deck of being able to end on piles with a lead.

Need a card for your Hermit or Jack to trash? Curses are free and unlike copper they can be trashed by things that can't trash treasure. Take something like a Hermit/Madman/Market square setup, a deck with two curses can have up to 9 more coin potential (trash a curse instead of Mrksqr with one Hermit, gain an extra gold; trash the second curse instead of a second Mrksqr, gain two more extra golds).

//end obscure debate

The real problem with Adventurer is not competing with gold, it is the limited timeframe of most games. By the time you can get Adventurer setup, 6 VP a turn will rarely net you a win. Getting over the 6 VP a turn hump is pretty hard outside of Colony games - you need something to trash down your coppers; then you need to build economy up to hit 6 (e.g. 3 silvers) and then you need to buy more treasure/Adventurers to ensure you hit 8 ... or you need non-terminal +buy to to get over 8. Adventurer just tends to be slow to setup and if the game lasts that long it is there are powerful attacks (conflicting with Adventurer as terminals) or because there is an even more powerful engine out there.

One combo I have had some success with is Forge/Adventurer. This needs an early lucky 7 (paging Mr. Baron), but if you do get a T3 7, Forge can eat all the coppers and turn 3 estates (or an estate + a four) into a gold. If you opened Silver/4 then you just need to buy an estate, Forge everything but the silver into 2 golds, and then buy an Adventurer. Pretty much, every turn you draw him becomes a province and when you miss, duchies aren't too terrible.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 07:19:04 am »

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7314.0

Adventurer can shine. Here it was even important that it costs $6 and not $5.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 08:30:42 am »

You can combo Adventurer with Mine.  Adventurer draws you Coppers so that Mine can upgrade them to Silvers which makes your subsequent Adventurers EVEN BETTER.  That's synergy right there folks.
Moneylender is nice too. And Loan. And Spice Merchant. Anything that trashes copers, really.

Mad, I tell you.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 10:11:23 am »

With Walled Village, I might actually try that out.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 12:03:09 pm »

Curses can be beneficial for a deck. An working ambassador deck could be happy to receive curses. A deck with 12 gardens might be happy to receive curses. A curse could improve fairgrounds, menagerie, and harvest. A player with a secret chamber in hand might be happy to receive curses from a torturer. Tributes gain nothing from curses. Curses can become fodder for trade routes. That's even before going into stupidly silly edge cases, such as possessing an opponent, using their swindler to turn coppers in your deck into curses, just so that your ventures have more value.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 12:35:23 pm »

Compare adventurer to harvest. Adventurer is going to give you between +$2 and +$6 in most games, though can hit $10 or even more with PS. Even without copper trashing, it isn't too hard to get your Adventurer to give you $3 on average if you can stock up on silver. 

Harvest will give you between $1 and $4. Without copper trashing to spread out your deck, it will probably only give you a little more than $3 on average unless you have something to help activate it.

Adventurer will cycle more, and also lets you use the treasures it draws for other purposes. (With extra actions to spare, in can pull those annoying coppers until your hand to get trashed).

Obviously, there will be some games that Harvest is a better buy than adventurer. But I mean, without copper trashing and a hamlet in the game poor house is probably better than adventurer. But I think that, even though Harvest is a weaker $5, adventurer is a good deal better.

In practice, though, Harvest will like never actually give you $1. In my experience, it's always at least $2, and usually at least $3. And the big difference between Harvest and Adventurer is that you don't have to do any work o your deck to make Harvest do that. Even with minimal trashing your deck is usually diverse enough to get Harvest to be a Gold. The same is not true of Adventurer, which is prohibitively more expensive.

I'm really skeptical of Adventurer. There are SO many better terminals, and it's always in competition with Gold.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 01:02:06 pm »

Compare adventurer to harvest. Adventurer is going to give you between +$2 and +$6 in most games, though can hit $10 or even more with PS.
I hadn't thought before about the synergy between PS and Adventurer. That's really cool.

This is the part I don't entirely grok. I had been understanding Adventurer as something you mostly get benefit from late in the game, when you're starting to pick up VP. At that point doesn't the cycling hurt?
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 01:14:04 pm »

I had been understanding Adventurer as something you mostly get benefit from late in the game, when you're starting to pick up VP. At that point doesn't the cycling hurt?

The adventurer gives beneficial cycling for a deck before it deteriorates. Once you go green the adventurer's cycling is unhelpful but it is offset by the adventurer regularly giving good vp buying hands (in the right deck). The adventurer's value is typically only based on the treasures in the deck, whereas a smithy's value depends upon all the cards in the deck.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 02:51:27 pm »

Curses can be beneficial for a deck. An working ambassador deck could be happy to receive curses. A deck with 12 gardens might be happy to receive curses.

I remember one time I had the choice to end the game or trash a couple curses (when going for gardens), and I chose to trash the curses.  The next turn I ended the game.  I had something-9 cards in my deck...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 03:56:03 pm »
+4

councilroom confirms it.

http://councilroom.com/supply_win?&targets=adventurer&interaction=true&nested=false&unconditional=true

According to CR, colony is the 9th best helper for adventurer.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 01:28:17 pm »

councilroom confirms it.

http://councilroom.com/supply_win?&targets=adventurer&interaction=true&nested=false&unconditional=true

reading this, thoughts:
1. rrenaud's sorting works really well, all of those cards really do combo well with adventurer
2. man i miss dominion...

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 02:51:31 pm »

Goko is playable, you know.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 12:08:27 pm »

Adventurer with Loan is slightly interesting.  Early on Loan trashes your copper, which is good.  Later on Adventurer kind of mitigates the disadvantage of Loan, because discarding a better treasure with Loan doesn't hurt as much since Adventurer will make you shuffle it back into your deck much faster (or possibly draw it on the next turn).  Except, of course, you have a chance of drawing the Loan with Adventurer instead of your Gold.  But having one Loan seems better than having seven Copper.

Adventurer with Counterfeit is neat, too.  And perhaps Adventurer with Quarry (and some source of +buy) could help set up an engine much faster (with the downside of having to buy an Adventurer, but Quarry helps with that).

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 07:39:25 pm »

councilroom confirms it.

reading this, thoughts:
1. rrenaud's sorting works really well, all of those cards really do combo well with adventurer
2. man i miss dominion...

Adventurer - University seems an odd pairing to me. Does anyone have thoughts on why they well together?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.