Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Notation  (Read 18444 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Notation
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 01:01:33 pm »

Also, if I was to gain a Curse but reveal Trader, how would that look?

Curse is X in my notation. I never tried the "instead clause" but I guess it would be
+X[°TD]+, +2>
I gain a Curse from the supply, reveal a Trader and then put it back to the supply and then gain a Silver from the supply in my discard pile.

Of course this isn't what happens...

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 11:59:16 am »

Here is what I'm suggesting for abbreviating card names. I want it to be easy to remember these so you don't have to think a lot or look things up, neither to write the notation or to interpret the notation.

For multiword names, use the first letter of each word, with these exceptions:
  • Don't use FV but FaV = Farming Village; FiV = Fishing Village.
  • Don't use PS but PhS = Philosopher's Stone, PiS = Pirate Ship.
  • Don't use TR but ThR = Throne Room, TrR = Trade Route.
  • Don't use WV but WaV = Walled Village, WoV = Worker's Village.

For the standard cards use C, E, D, P, Co for Curse, Estate, Duchy, Province, Colony
and  1, 2, 3, 5, Po for Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Potion.

For other cards use the first four letters, with the sole exception that Emba isn't used but instead Embo for Embargo, Emby for Embassy, or optionally use the whole name. Both would be "allowed", and I would use the whole name for five-letter cards, since most of these just look dumb: Feas Thie Witc Baro Scou Hare Have Whar Gole Vaul Goon Hoar Forg Oasi Cach Envo Stas

The exceptions above are the only ones needed to made unique names, so you don't have to memorize a lot. You might be tempted to use the popular TR for Throne Room, but I think it's better to have few exceptions, to avoid confusion.
Only the rules for the standard cards are more than actually needed. (What's needed is to do something about Copper/Coppersmith and Duchy/Duchess.)

The generated names are unique even disregarding case, but I suggest writing BoG of Bag of Gold etc and Cara  for Caravan etc. to make it easier to understand.

(Of course Guilds might add new abbrev collisions.)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:58:40 am by pst »

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 06:07:25 am »

Regarding abbreviations: I use one letter/character abbreviations for basic cards that are available in every game:

1,2,3,5 for Copper, Silver, Gold and Platinum because it helps a lot in calculation the total amount in coins.
E,D,P,C fpr Estate, Duchy, Province and Colony.
X for Curse and O for Potion.

Then I use 2 letter abbreviations for Kingdom Cards. But it gets harder and harder to find intuitive one (try it with Harvest, Haven and Hovel or with Mine, Mint, Minion). So maybe 3 letter abbreviations would be better. But I would keep these uniform at a certain amount of letters because it will make it easier to read.

pst

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 08:09:24 am »

Here is what I'm suggesting for abbreviating card names. ...

Because of stupidity I did my name collision tests on a file which didn't include Dark Ages, so I missed these collisions: Count/Counterfeit, Ironworks/Ironmonger, Merchant Ship/Market Square, Spice Merchant/Sir Martin/Sir Michael.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 11:41:52 am »

Note: You have an affect/effect problem in your notation (reads "affect", should read "effect").

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 11:47:00 am »
+2

We're probably better off with Unicode.

For Estate, Duchy, Province and Colony I propose:
Ϡ, ɷ, Ж and ◙
Which reads as: Dinosaur, Bottom, Butterfly Skeleton and Heroes Logo.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

pst

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 12:45:33 pm »
+1

We're probably better off with Unicode.

We can do everything with I Ching hexagrams! It starts with ䷯ (HEXAGRAM FOR THE WELL) for Wishing Well, ䷍ (HEXAGRAM FOR GREAT POSSESSION) for Possession, and ䷴ (HEXAGRAM FOR DEVELOPMENT) for Develop, and the the rest of the notation follows in a similar way. It takes only a little practice to read annotations like ䷈䷑䷼䷼䷁ ䷆䷙䷚䷙䷄䷯ ䷫䷀䷶ fluently.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.