Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26  All

Author Topic: Through the Ages V - When creativity strikes  (Read 40549 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
Through the Ages V - When creativity strikes
« on: February 15, 2013, 01:38:46 pm »

Through the Ages is a civilization building game. The goal is to develop your civilization, not to destroy other ones. Military strength is just one aspect of your nation, as well as population, production or science. It is up to you which aspect you will concentrate on, more or less, but you should not underestimate any of them while building your civilization.

Victory is achieved by the player whose nation produces the most culture during the game. However, there are many ways to produce culture: through religion, literature or drama, by building wonders, by utilizing cultural persons etc. Considerable amount of culture can be gained even via wars or aggression.
Description from BGG

This is the thread for the fifth Play By Forum game of Vlaada Chvátil's Through The Ages. This is not a short, simple game; it is an epic civilisation building game. Depending on player (and moderator!) speed, the game could take months to complete, but this does give players a good chance to evaluate the board and their options.

This time, things will be extra crazy as each player will be providing a leader and wonder for each age (with an extra wonder and leader created by myself and Watno (assuming he's still willing at least). I'll explain the creation process next post.

A copy of the rules can be found on BGG here. The rules are great, they're mostly very clear, and so I will make no attempt to explain the rules myself, and instead advise players to read them (you will need a BGG account, which if you don't have, is hassle free to make). I will of course try and answer any questions players may have.

The game will be run primarily from [SPREADSHEET WILL GO HERE] (which will be linked every time I make an update post).

Players may wish to bookmark this link, which shows all of the available actions (excluding extras given by wonders or leaders), as well as the turn structure summary. Sections 1 and 6 will of course be performed by me between turns.

Some notes for PBF:
  • Please do not contact other players about the game outside this thread. I'm not saying you can't mention the game in other threads, but don't go out of your way to conspire in a way that isn't public.
  • I will be respecting the standard rules for pacts. This means, you can't talk about a pact you might be proposing before you do, you have to play it, name the roles and the other player can respond. Breaking this rule results in forfeiting your political action for the turn.
  • Hopefully the spreadsheets will work, but if there are any issues that crop up, let me know! Also, if you feel that some details could be better displayed, or should be displayed somewhere else, let me know - the sheets are, after all, for your benefit.
  • For ease of spotting what your official actions are, please bold your final actions.
  • I'm usually pretty lenient about letting people take back actions they realize are not what they wanted to do. Primarily this is intended as a catch for if you have corruption, civil actions remaining, or an uprising, all of which can be easy to miss.
  • Try to check the game frequently, even when it isn't your turn, as political actions regularly affect everyone. If you sign up, I'd say at a minimum you should be able to check the thread at least once per day except weekends, ideally more times than that. That said if you check regularly you won't have to do anything a lot of the times you check, and when you do need to it's perfectly acceptable (and advised!) to mull over your options a bit.

Taking your turn:
Turn structure

1) Updating the card row: I will do this for you between turns along with step 7

2) Outcome of a war: You sacrifice units, then they sacrifice units, then one or both of you might need to make decisions based on what happened. I will update other things (usually culture) as I see them.

3) Political action: This is probably the most complex bit of your turn. If you want to play an:
  • Event: State that you are playing an event in the thread along with it's age. Then, I will reveal the next current event and resolve it (which may require decisions from various players)
  • Aggression: Play the aggression in the thread, name your target, and post what you're sacrificing (if you can calculate it yourself, please include your total strength for the aggression as well!). Your rival then posts what they're sacrificing (or bonus cards), and one or both of you might then have to make choices regarding the outcome.
  • Pact: Play the pact in the thread, specify which player is A and which is B (if relevant). Your target then either accepts or rejects. Once the proposal has been made, you can talk about it, but you cannot renege or change the proposal.
  • War: Announce it as though it were an aggression, but then simply carry on with your turn. Remember it's resolved next turn
  • No action: Announce you are skipping your political action (note: Please do announce it, otherwise I might ask people to wait as I check, did you really mean to skip your political action?)

4) Discard excess military cards: Check your military hand limit (normally =military actions), then PM me military cards until you are at your military hand limit. This is the most commonly missed part of people's turn, please try to remember to do this!

5) Civil and Military actions: Post all of your civil and military actions directly into the thread. For the first few turns, or whenever you aren't sure, it may be a good idea to PM them to me instead, just to double check everything you're trying to do is valid, or perhaps mess around on your provided spreadsheet and see if what you want to happen seems to be happening. It's easy to forget a few things and make a few mistakes, like, you used military actions on an aggression/war, or that Wonder cost 1 CA more than you thought because you've completed a Wonder already, or accidentally trying to play a military tech with a military action instead of a civil one, and that's just a few examples. Either way if your move is valid, it stands (and I'll post it if you PM'd me) and I'll update everything based on it. If you did something wrong, I'll let you know, and you can fix it.

6) Production and Maintenance: I'll do all of this for you. Once I post in the thread the updated card row, take that as a sign that your indicators are updated, food and resources are updated, and your military cards are available.

Rules in use
We will be playing the alternate corruption rule. This lets you choose to not produce one resource token in your production phase. In essence, this rule will reduce your corruption by 1 if you would have exactly 0, 4 or 8 blue tokens left and at least one Bronze mine.

This is a four player game. Signups are:
Galzria
Kuildeous
Qvist
Kirian
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: Through the Ages V - When creativity strikes
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 01:51:32 pm »

Creating Wonders & Leaders

Each player will be making one leader for each of the four ages and one Wonder. For now, please PM these to me, where I will check they don't seem overly broken or useless. Feel free to do one or two at a time, or all together, whichever works best for you.

Once they are all done, I will reveal each ages leaders and wonders, and the game will start as otherwise normal.

Some general rules: Note the time periods of the game:
A - 500 BC to 1000 AD
I - 1000 AD to 1500 AD
II - 1500 AD to 1900 AD
III - 1900 AD onwards

I'm not going to be overly stringent on these timeframes, but if you can, try and fit your leaders/wonders into them. If possible also, use real historical figures/wonders (feel free to create an effect, then just try and find something to match it to, mind you!)

Leaders

In general, age A leaders help to build your civilisation up in some way (Moses gets pop, Aristotle science, Ceaser gets extra military cards/army, Homer makes building units easier, Hammurabi gives an extra action, only Alexander kinda doesn't. Expansion leaders are similar). Age I and on leaders though can just provide culture or the like.
Later leaders are generally more powerful than early ones (compare Napoleon to Ceaser, or Einstein to Leonardo).

I'm making Donald X. Hands off  ;D

Wonders

The cost of all Age A wonders is 6 resources, over 2-4 steps. Unless you really want to do otherwise, probably aim for a 5-7 resource cost and 2-4 steps.
Similarly, Age I cost 8-9 resources and have 2-4 steps
Age II cost 12-13 resources and have 3-5 steps
Age III all cost 16 resources and have 3-5 steps.

Age III wonders all provide nothing but a one-shot culture bonus in the base game. In the expansions, most don't do much else. Also note a wonders cost order and number of steps can be factors in balancing it (e.g. it's really hard to use Masonry with the Eiffel Tower, because you'd need to pay 10 resources on one step. If it had a 3 3 7 cost, you could easily pay 6 then 7).

Other than that, feel free to be creative and PM me your ideas.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:54:11 pm by Tables »
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 01:55:33 pm »

/confirmed (if needed, likely not).

Headed out for a bit, will ponder them while I'm gone. Got time off work through Monday night, so lots of free time. Would love to get the ball rolling here, but that's just me being selfish and excited. ;D

I'll get some ideas out to you by this afternoon. There's SO much fun stuff to intertwine that the game doesn't yet have (and... maybe for good reason? We'll find out! ;D)
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 02:05:02 pm »

I have a few ideas for Age I and A leaders, but well I'm primarily going to be creating stuff to fill in gaps... so that might be tricky.

Also as an extra note, if you're feeling boring, or just can't think of anything, I have no problem with people's ideas being just a copy of an already existing Wonder or Leader. But well I'll probably give at least a week for the creation of stuff.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 02:43:51 pm »

tag

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 06:20:40 pm »

/confirm although I think I need the weekend to invent some Leaders and Wonders.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 06:48:58 pm »

Hmm I guess I need to post here to show the thread as being followed.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 08:36:00 pm »

Inventing leaders and wonders was pretty fun, although it reminds me of how much I suck at history--especially non-American history.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 08:02:14 am »

I'm liking the slightly English theme that's inadvertently appearing with a thing or two from one person, some more from the next etc. :D

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 01:10:54 pm »

Bump. I've given feedback on every wonder/leader I've recieved so far. Most are good but need a small touch up. A few are a little too far on the strong/weak side, I think I've told people about those.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 01:13:05 pm »

Will finish up today.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 03:35:14 pm »

Through the Ages V - When creativity strikes fails

I have no real inspiration so far. I hope that I can submit my ideas soon.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 03:40:54 pm »

I always read the title as "creativity strikes" in the sense of "creativity is on a strike"

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 03:45:49 pm »

Reminds me of a summer camp video we once made - strike of the dead, which was quite literally about the dead going on strike and refusing to do the one thing they're supposed to, which is nothing.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 03:55:30 pm »

Is there any way to follow this thread without following the whole forum?  I usually use the "new posts" link.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 04:03:05 pm »

I dunno. But we look to be mostly ready to go, a few more tweaks, then I'll be making a set of leaders to hopefully balance things out a bit, and we'll be off.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 04:44:06 pm »

I want to see the new leaders! I want to see a crazy game!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 11:49:57 pm »

I want to see the new leaders! I want to see a crazy game!

I know, right?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 11:56:48 pm »

I could give leaks... But where would the fun in that be??

Mafia Record:

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 12:04:25 am »

The dikes in the Netherlands? Interesting move.
A man has no signature

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 12:11:31 am »

Age III Leader:

Ozle:
All buildings cost 5 fewer Resources to build. Each time you build something roll a die. If you roll a 5 or 6 the build fails but you still pay the Resources. +4 Happy

There's a note at the bottom of the card, something about Ozle Inc. Product Reliability, and to send all complaints to Ozle@f.DStrategy.com

Mafia Record:

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 07:11:29 am »

Age III Leader:

Ozle:
All buildings cost 5 fewer Resources to build. Each time you build something roll a die. If you roll a 5 or 6 the build fails but you still pay the Resources. +4 Happy

There's a note at the bottom of the card, something about Ozle Inc. Product Reliability, and to send all complaints to Ozle@f.DStrategy.com

Well... looks like we need 7 leaders for Age III this time. I think that should be a 3 to 6 though, I mean do you remember how much more reliable bailing water with our bare hands was compared to using an Ozle Inc. pump?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 07:35:02 pm »

Taaaaables!

Mafia Record:

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 07:37:12 pm »

I need to fix one of my leaders, because someone made a wonder he'd be insanely overpowered with. So I guess you can't start before tomorrow. Sorry.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 07:39:09 pm »

I think I'm still missing a little info from some people.

Okay here's what I'll do. I'll PM everyone what I think is the info on leaders I have, note if I think anything needs to change and possibly suggest one or two things that might be nice (some from Watno), and once everyone sends a final confirm we'll start.

If everyone could respond to that email with any final changes/suggestions etc. that'd be great. And there's a good chance I've truncated some culture/science productions, just because I forgot to copy them into the message, not because I removed them :P.

Okay, I think I've given the full set of comments. To be honest, all but 1-2 things per person are fine to go. I still need to find a name for one of my leaders...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:16:58 pm by Tables »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 19 queries.