Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

How will the Gnomes die?

Roasted Gnomes over an open fire?
There's no Air! There's no Air!
What's Red and Slimy? Super Compressed Gnomes!
A nice, slow Broil.
Malfunctioning Equipment from Ozle Incorporated.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27  All

Author Topic: Red November - Gnomes survived well done!  (Read 42639 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
Red November - Gnomes survived well done!
« on: January 09, 2013, 11:25:21 am »

Game State
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkoHhfle2FRXdHYyYkhSNUx4NzhNcnZDWkI5b19XaXc

Prologue

Captain Oleg Eelspeaker strained against the wheel. As the largest of the crew at 42 inches high, Oleg often steered the Red November during turbulence. Today, his barrel-chested physique served the crew well as he righted the submarine.

Wiping the sweat from his brow, Oleg turned to Nikolai Barnaclescraper. "Progress report, Comrade," he demanded.

The lanky seaman unceremoniously dropped an empty fire extinguisher. His wide eyes bulged comically against a backdrop of soot. Releasing a puff of smoke from his lungs, he replied, "Fire is contained. Another fire reported on level 2. Two compartments are now filled with water. Reactor is dangerously hot. Also, Leonid Squidrider is passed out in the engine room."

Sneering, Oleg spat, "I always knew that son-of-an-elf couldn't hold his liquor." A thump interrupted him, muffled by the several inches of steel separating the compartments of the sub. He looked at the door and then nodded to Nikolai. The seaman gingerly approached the door and turned the handle several times. The door flew open, unleashing a wall of water cascading over the two gnomes. The limp body of Timur Sharktickler floated by Oleg .As he struggled to keep his footing, the captain kept one hand on the wheel and grabbed Timur with the other.

The gnomes found themselves neck-deep in water. The Pneumo-matic Door Press (tm) hissed shut and locked into place. The surrounding bulkhead buckled under the weight of the ocean, and the door groaned in protest as the metal twisted around it. Timur coughed water into Oleg's face as he regained consciousness.

"Wonder what else could go wrong," muttered Oleg. As if the universe felt obliged to sadistically reply, the submarine rocked suddenly from a great impact. Nikolai trudged through the water to the porthole. He scrambled toward Oleg, his face pale.

"S-s-s-sir," he stammered, "K-k-k-kraken starboard."

Cursing the ancestors of his enemies, Oleg pointed to the aqualung swaying from its hook. "You better take care of it, Barnaclescraper. I still have to guide this boat to the Mother Land."

Nikolai silently pointed to himself with an incredulous, inquisitive look, but he obeyed his captain. He slipped the breathing apparatus over his head, giving him a comical appearance. Once the device was strapped on, the gnome waddled through the water toward the exterior hatch. Oleg barked out his name.

As Nikolai turned to address his captain, Oleg tossed a harpoon gun at him. He clumsily caught the heavy armament and staggered backward from the force. Oleg pulled a flask from his pocket and took a hard swig from it. "Be sure to shoot the bastard in the eye. I hear they don't like that."

Any nautical inaccuracies can be chalked up to gnomish engineering and not author ignorance.

What is Red November?

Red November is a cooperative game where the players assume roles as gnomes on a doomed submarine. The whole thing is falling apart, and you must survive long enough for the submarine to get to rescue. Everyone wins if the submarine survives, and everyone loses if everyone dies or the submarine is destroyed (which results in the former). Alternatively, someone could turn on the others at the last moment and abandon ship before it's destroyed. In this case, the coward wins if the submarine is destroyed, and he loses if the submarine makes it to the end.

How is the game played?

This is a quasi-simultaneous mode of play where we track each player's position on the countdown. Moving from one part of the submarine to another takes time, and performing an action takes time. The more time you take, the more disasters are likely to happen. Then we move on to the person with the most remaining minutes and perform his turn. If you document all of the events, you may end up with weird time-warp effects like a gnome pumping out water before the compartment even springs a leak. Think of the submarine as being part TARDIS if you want. 

How does this work in forum play?

There are no secret hands. Die rolls and card flips are handled by me. Information will be presented in a Google Docs spreadsheet, including a crude map of the submarine (prototype forthcoming). As each card comes up, I'll be sure to include explanations of what they do. In order to ensure that players understand the consequences of their actions and to keep me honest, players should post their actions along with how much time they think elapses. One thing you don't want to do is to calculate that something would take you 6 minutes but be surprised that it's really 8 minutes.

This looks too hard. Count me out.

The 1st-edition rulebook is pretty abstruse. I've been playing this game for years, and I only recently found out I've been doing two things wrong. You can look up rules summaries on BGG. Those are much nicer to read.

One thing about Red November is that it is reactionary. If nothing is going wrong, then you can be proactive by searching for items. For most of the game, however, you'll have a smorgasbord of disasters to fix. You won't even need to read much beyond the player aid. Where there may be some confusion, other players can give advice (they want to survive too!).

How many players does it take?

Red November can take up to eight players. The game can still happen with fewer players.

I have a burning sensation when I urinate

Why are you telling me this? Go see a doctor.

Current player list:

Qvist
Galzria
Theorel
Jorbles
Tables
Lekkit
Kuildeous
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:49:52 pm by Kuildeous »
A man has no signature

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Red November signups - Grog for everyone!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:36:48 am »

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 12:28:11 pm »

BGG is down. NOOOOO!  >:(

Ok, I never heard of it. I like cooperative games. /in

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 12:50:49 pm »

BGG is down. NOOOOO!  >:(

Ok, I never heard of it. I like cooperative games. /in

I don't have enough going on in my life.

/in.

((Also, above quote applies to me as well - but I have, and love, Space Alert, which I never get to play - so this sounds right up the same alley.))
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 01:35:24 pm »

in

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 02:20:52 pm »

So far I have Qvist, Galzria, and Theorel.

That's enough to encourage me to finish up my spreadsheet. I wasn't going to go through all the work to get it ready if I didn't have enough interest.

Will continue accepting new players until I get this thing up and running or I get eight players.
A man has no signature

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 02:21:56 pm »

In, this game looks awesome.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 04:41:21 pm »

/in because why not?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 05:28:21 am »

I like complicated games. I'm /in!

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 07:20:22 am »

I've read the rules and looking forward to this. Seems interesting.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 09:29:25 am »

I'll be busy most of today, so I'm not quite ready to kick this off. I want to finalize the game board. The Google spreadsheet does not much care for borders and merged cells. I apply a border to something, and some random cell off to the side gets a border. And some cells can't even have borders applied, so the map doesn't look as nice as I'd like it to, but it'll work.

I invite you to look at the spreadsheet and give feedback: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkoHhfle2FRXdHYyYkhSNUx4NzhNcnZDWkI5b19XaXc

The game is still open to new players, so while I have the players randomized in turn order, I will change that if new people sign up. The equipment and starting locations will remain the same, though. Unless I rerandomize the player order, Lekkit would be the first gnome to act.

I plan on kicking this off later today. The Red November will prevail!
A man has no signature

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 09:32:56 am »

I don't know if the spreadsheet covers all the rules, but I have to say I'm impressed how much work you put into that. For me, it looks amazing. Thanks for that.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 09:37:02 am »

Oh, I forgot to mention that you only need to look at the first two tabs for the game state. The other two tabs are for me to generate random stuff, but you can also see the card distribution. If the Kraken shows up in the first run-through, I ignore it and flip a new card. It's faster than hunting for it to remove it the first time through. A bit easier online.

And this is still a work in progress. I foresee making a few changes as we proceed.
A man has no signature

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 09:44:28 am »

As always...

I should go read the rules!

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 09:54:37 am »

Rules will be helpful, of course, especially since I learned in the past year of two things I have been doing wrong with this game, so it's always good to have someone double-check me. In fact, this will be the first time I'm playing the game with all of the right rules (I hope!).

I hate their rulebook. Maybe second printing fixed it, but that usually isn't the case.

But when we begin, I'll give some information relevant to what's happening. I'm accustomed to throwing newbies into the deep end, and the game is actually pretty newbie-friendly as long as there is someone who knows enough to outline how things work. So, don't worry too terribly much if the rules vex you.
A man has no signature

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 09:57:54 am »

Rules will be helpful, of course, especially since I learned in the past year of two things I have been doing wrong with this game, so it's always good to have someone double-check me. In fact, this will be the first time I'm playing the game with all of the right rules (I hope!).

I hate their rulebook. Maybe second printing fixed it, but that usually isn't the case.

But when we begin, I'll give some information relevant to what's happening. I'm accustomed to throwing newbies into the deep end, and the game is actually pretty newbie-friendly as long as there is someone who knows enough to outline how things work. So, don't worry too terribly much if the rules vex you.

I mean, like I said, I'm very familiar with Space Alert - and this sounds similar. Time based reactionary team survival game - except this isn't against an actual clock, but a "clock". There's only so much "time" you have to deal with various problems and try to survive.

Mafia Record:

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 11:09:15 am »

Wow that is super impressive spreadsheet!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 11:33:07 am »

Any game that you can get intoxicated while playing already gets an "A" rating in my book.

Mafia Record:

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 11:33:53 am »

Out of curiosity, Ozle, were you /in? I know you commented, but I didn't see any commitment to play. I want to make sure I'm not leaving you out if you do have an interest.
A man has no signature

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 11:59:29 am »

Fraid not, I wanted too but am really short on time for the upcoming period.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 01:52:58 pm »

Might as well get this show on the road. Note that the air quality, hull integrity, and reactor stability only go up to 90%. I had thought they from 0 to 10. No, they go from 0 to 9. And if any of these drop to 0, then we all die.

The Red November pushed past the underwater currents with ease. All of the other races thought the gnomes were mad for harnessing the power of fission for an underwater vessel. They were slightly disturbed to learn that the gnomes also harnessed the power of faerie tears. But now, the crew of the Red November will prove everyone wrong. Crazy? Ha! What could possibly go wrong on this voyage?

Comrade Lekkit was pondering this when his thoughts were interrupted by a loud klaxon. Bolting upright, he struck his head on the bunk above him. One of the shortest races, and somehow Lekkit managed to hit something with his head. No time for crying now. Something is wrong! But what is it?

Congrats, Lekkit, by going first, you get to do nothing. Well, that's not true. What normally happens in this case is the first player roots through the supplies or the captain's quarters. You may spend up to 4 minutes in the supply room to get random items, or you can spend up to 2 minutes in the captain's quarters to get grog. You get one item per minute you spend in there. Once you search, you cannot search that compartment again until you do an action in another compartment.

Then whatever happens while you're searching can be addressed by the other gnomes.
A man has no signature

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 02:20:36 pm »

Ye've already gots grog! Save some fer the rest o' us! Yarrr, pirate gnome out.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 04:09:47 am »

So if I got this right I could spend 0 minutes to move through the opened hatches into the storage room and loot it for 1 minute. Or does it take me 2 minutes to get there?

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 06:58:06 am »

Unless I'm misreading the rules it's 1 minute to open the hatch.
Hatches are always closed.  (they close automatically after being opened).
It takes an additional minute if the room is at low water.
So, it takes 1-2m to enter a room depending on if it's at low water.

So, for you, 2m to get to the supply room or 3m to get to the captain's quarters.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 06:59:26 am »

Kuildeous: could you move this to active games?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27  All

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.