Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Possible combos: Rebuild/Feodum, Storeroom/Apothecary  (Read 3518 times)

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
Possible combos: Rebuild/Feodum, Storeroom/Apothecary
« on: December 10, 2012, 05:30:06 pm »

I came across a couple of potentially interesting combos over the weekend, and I wanted to throw them out to the community for comment.
The first is Rebuild and Feodum. In the game we played, this combo was strongly augmented by Graverobber, though that is a 3-card combo and not as likely (Rouge would fit well, too). The basic idea is that you buy 2 or 3 Rebuilds and start hitting the Feodums hard. Depending on if your opponent is contesting Feodum or not, Rebuild your Estates into Feodum or go directly into Rebuilding your Feodums. You trash the Feodum, gain the 3 Silvers (making every other Feodum worth 1 VP more) and gain another Feodum to replace it. Effectively, you are leveling up your own Feoda while denying copies to your opponent. The timing and aggressiveness will certainly have to be tailored to your opponents approach. If you do happen to have a Graverobber or Rogue, you can be much more aggressive in your trashing. We baselined this against a BM approach that utilized Rebuild and Tunnel to gain disgusting amounts of Gold. In the 2-player game we had, my Feoda were worth more than provinces by the time he was able to drain the Province pile (I ended up helping once there were no more Feoda to buy – having 20-something silvers will go a long way to getting 4 in one hand). It might have ended sooner if he hadn’t bought as many Tunnels. (He did go a little overboard, but gaining 8 Tunnels in one turn is so much fun!)
So, I don’t think that Feodum + Rebuild is an ultra-power combo on its own, but I think that if there is something around to help it end quickly after the Feoda are gone, then it can be a solid approach. What do you think?
The other combo we came across was fun, but it is in no way a powerhouse. It needs a little something to make it solid. I believe it has already been pointed out that Storeroom likes Potions because it will help you find them quicker and also ensure you have enough coin to buy whatever you are looking to get (except Possession or perhaps Golem). Storeroom, paired with Apothecary turned out to be a nice pairing. It needed a little bit of help to be super fast (I am pretty sure it would have lost to the Catacombs + BM approach that no one felt like pursuing). The way the combo basically works is that after you have played all of your Apothecaries (this was 3-player, so I was only able to get 4 of them, which meant I usually played one or maybe 2 in a turn) you play the Storeroom to pick up the dead cards off the top of your deck, paving the way for a more beneficial next turn while not sacrificing any buying power this turn (and a +buy to boot). I don’t think that this will be able to hit $8 consistently without either some additional draw or a few Gold thrown into the mix.
Thoughts? Are these combos not as good as I think they are? How could you improve them? Or should I just let them pass as a “neat trick” that isn’t powerful enough to hold on to? If there is something to the combo, then I will go ahead and take the feedback and make a real article out of it.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Possible combos: Rebuild/Feodum, Storeroom/Apothecary
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 06:25:56 pm »

I've touched on Rebuild/Feodum back when DA first came out (although if your opponent contests Feodum, the combo is really weak without ways to grab your trashed Feodums from the trash). Storeroom + Apothecary looks decent but it's probably more of an enabler for better combos than an awesome combo in and of itself.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:00:35 pm »

Storeroom + Apothecary is no powerhouse on its own, but is pretty good, especially with a village on the board. Then you can go through your deck pretty fast for some really big turns. It's already covered on my article about Storeroom as it has the same benefit as most Potion cost cards: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Storeroom

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 01:48:02 am »

Storeroom Pstone perhaps? I wonder how that compares to Herbalist Pstone.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 03:56:26 am »

It seems very strong. Vault+PS is already a strong combo, and storeroom is really the ultimate discard-draw/money card.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 04:33:28 am »

Me and Robz discovered this before when I went for a Rebuild/Scavenger strategy.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 04:33:56 am »

Me and Robz discovered this before when I went for a Rebuild/Scavenger strategy.

This being the Feodum/Rebuild synergy.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 05:05:51 am »

3b) Philosopher's Stone
Storeroom may be even better than Herbalist as a supporting card. Both have the much needed + Buy so you can pick up a lot of Storerooms and Coppers on the way and both have a mechanic to see the Potion often early in the game. But Storeroom can mostly discard 2-3 dead cards and Coppers which makes your Philosopher's Stone 0.5$ worth more on average! When you have your first Philosopher's Stone in hand, it should already be worth $3 and soon $4. That means: 2 Philosopher's Stones and you can already buy Provinces.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.