Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Who said what?  (Read 6778 times)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
Who said what?
« on: November 11, 2012, 08:14:03 pm »
+15

The following are posts from a heated game of mafia. For some reason, some of the posters' names have gone missing. Who wrote the anonymous posts?

Quote from: Dave
I don't think you understand the dangers in lynching me over the other moron.

Quote from: Alex
And I don't think you see why that's not an option.

Your claim is crazy. You expect us to believe you're some kind of madman cop, which I think means you're one of those ... what's the word? Jester? Joker? Sad fact, all you've done is make it likely you'll be killed by scum.

Quote from: Iris
I've tried hard to gather all the evidence together, and you're clearly scum. You've tried calling me evil, maligning my efforts in an attempt to make yourself look townier, but it's all for naught!

Well look who's been eating the vigilante veal today! (It's better than the PGO pork, at least.) I had you picked as the star hippie in this game, but maybe I was wrong.

I don't understand a word you're saying. When did they start doping your drinks?

Quote from: Sam
Frankly, I'm happier it's down to you two. If your claim is true, then the effects upstream are easy enough to deal with.

Quote from: Calvin
After a bit of analysis, here's what I've got:

Sam - probably scum.
*De-Ann - so very townie.
Iris - scum scum scum.
Jean- townie, maybe?
Alex - probable independent.
*Dave - town, I suppose.
Harry - town-ish.
Gilda - still hasn't said enough for me to say.

Extra thanks to the starred heros who I'm sure will meet their end sooner rather than later. As for the rest of you, I've got nothing to say since I don't want to print naughty stuff when I don't have to ;)

Quote from: Harry
Well, it looks like I'm not going to be around much longer, but if chance permits me to survive to the next day, I hope I won't be tarred with the same brush as Iris.

After yesterday's results, I feel like I am alienated from the rest of the players. I assume it's not due to my risque writing style, but maybe I shouldn't have referred to Jean as a "Regal lovebird" or whatever it was. In any case, Alex can clearly reclaim his role without fear of retribution.

If that's the way it's going to be, then fine - your fates are sealed. I hope you recall this later when the scum wins!

Quote from: De-Ann
The fact is, Jean lurked for the whole of D1. If this tars me with the reputation of being a lurker lyncher, then so be it. If this were my game, I wouldn't just lamely mod it any which way, I'd make sure you posted when you were supposed to!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Who said what?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 02:05:01 pm »
+1

I'm confused.  Is this Dominion-related, or forum games related?

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 05:23:05 pm »

I'm confused.  Is this Dominion-related, or forum games related?
Yes it is. (Also, I just PMed you.)

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 06:55:47 pm »
+2

Two days on and no replies, so I guess it's hint time!

Hint 1: It actually is Dominion-related.
Hint 2: The names of all active players are meaningful.
Hint 3: There was one person who was interested in playing, but isn't available to play yet.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 02:55:41 pm »

This puzzle is really neat - and.... I don't know how to do it. But don't spoil! I'm still thinking.

chester

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 03:31:37 pm »
+1

Your claim is crazy. You expect us to believe you're some kind of madman cop, which I think means you're one of those ... what's the word? Jester? Joker? Sad fact, all you've done is make it likely you'll be killed by scum.
Harry

Well look who's been eating the vigilante veal today! (It's better than the PGO pork, at least.) I had you picked as the star hippie in this game, but maybe I was wrong.
Sam

I don't understand a word you're saying. When did they start doping your drinks?
Iris

After yesterday's results, I feel like I am alienated from the rest of the players. I assume it's not due to my risque writing style, but maybe I shouldn't have referred to Jean as a "Regal lovebird" or whatever it was. In any case, Alex can clearly reclaim his role without fear of retribution.
Harry

If that's the way it's going to be, then fine - your fates are sealed. I hope you recall this later when the scum wins!
Can't figure this one. Edit: Oh, it must be Dave
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 05:46:33 pm by chester »

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 05:50:50 pm »

Harry
Correct.

Sam
Correct.

Iris
Correct.

Harry
Partially correct. It looks like I goofed and put down one of Harry's lines in there, but the rest of the post comes from another player.

Can't figure this one. Edit: Oh, it must be Dave
And correct! This would be a tricky one, since Dave tends to use much simpler language.

I think it's pretty clear you've worked out the trick, too. Anyone else figured it out?

chester

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 06:07:47 pm »

Harry
Partially correct. It looks like I goofed and put down one of Harry's lines in there, but the rest of the post comes from another player.
Dee-Ann, then

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 06:10:12 pm »
+2

I have no idea what is happening.  :-\

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 06:58:23 pm »

If it's any consolation, I usually find this kind of puzzle much easier to compose than to solve.

chester

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 10:14:06 am »
+1

I have no idea what is happening.  :-\

You could ask the moderator, but he's probably out sabotaging concertinas, so you might not get a response.  He's really quite the accordion vandal.

That was harder than I though it was going to be.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 12:07:02 pm »
+1

I don't understand what Jean is doing in this game!

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 05:34:38 pm »

I don't understand what Jean is doing in this game!
Being a convenient scapegoate, mostly. Note that all of these posts were made after Jean was lynched.

It just so happened that there was a nice option made available by including Jean. Otherwise I'd have to mention someone's karma request or something.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 11:46:19 pm »

I'll be truly shocked if this makes any sense after you reveal what it was.

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 01:09:40 am »

The names start with the same letters as dominion sets.

Apart from that, I got nothing.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 01:17:44 am »

Ah I get it! Big spoiler each sentence contains an anagram of a card from the expansion.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 01:22:58 am »

There must be more to it, as I can only find the phenomenon spoilered in my last post twice.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 01:29:50 am »

Ok, convinced now. +1 for mafia theme

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 10:26:54 am »
+3

whole puzzle massively spoilered below! still can't get them all. EDIT: sorry about formatting - the quote tag is incompatible with the spoiler tag.

"I don't think you understand the dangers in lynching me over the other moron."
throne room

"And I don't think you see why that's not an option."
potion

"Your claim is crazy. You expect us to believe you're some kind of madman cop, which I think means you're one of those ... what's the word? Jester? Joker? Sad fact, all you've done is make it likely you'll be killed by scum."
nomad camp, others?

"I've tried hard to gather all the evidence together, and you're clearly scum. You've tried calling me evil, maligning my efforts in an attempt to make yourself look townier, but it's all for naught!"
mining village, others?

"Well look who's been eating the vigilante veal today! (It's better than the PGO pork, at least.) I had you picked as the star hippie in this game, but maybe I was wrong."
native village, pirate ship

"I don't understand a word you're saying. When did they start doping your drinks?"
trading post, others?

"Frankly, I'm happier it's down to you two. If your claim is true, then the effects upstream are easy enough to deal with."
pirate ship, others?

"After a bit of analysis, here's what I've got:

Sam - probably scum.
*De-Ann - so very townie.
Iris - scum scum scum.
Jean- townie, maybe?
Alex - probable independent.
*Dave - town, I suppose.
Harry - town-ish.
Gilda - still hasn't said enough for me to say.

Extra thanks to the starred heros who I'm sure will meet their end sooner rather than later. As for the rest of you, I've got nothing to say since I don't want to print naughty stuff when I don't have to ;)"
horse traders, hunting party, others?

"Well, it looks like I'm not going to be around much longer, but if chance permits me to survive to the next day, I hope I won't be tarred with the same brush as Iris."

"After yesterday's results, I feel like I am alienated from the rest of the players. I assume it's not due to my risque writing style, but maybe I shouldn't have referred to Jean as a "Regal lovebird" or whatever it was. In any case, Alex can clearly reclaim his role without fear of retribution."
squire, border village, others?

"If that's the way it's going to be, then fine - your fates are sealed. I hope you recall this later when the scum wins!"
feast, cellar

"The fact is, Jean lurked for the whole of D1. If this tars me with the reputation of being a lurker lyncher, then so be it. If this were my game, I wouldn't just lamely mod it any which way, I'd make sure you posted when you were supposed to!"
junk dealer, rats, dame molly
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:30:35 am by ehunt »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 11:02:42 am »
+3

Uh, I think the solution to the first one is dangers = gardens, not sure where you got your solution from... others look good though.

Edit: Actually, I see them both now. Very good.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 11:27:41 am »
+3

Here's mine:

I don't think you understand the dangers in lynching me over the other moron.
dangers = gardens, other moron = throne room

And I don't think you see why that's not an option.
option = potion

madman = madman, madman cop = nomad camp, jester = jester, jack of all trades = joker sad fact all

I've tried hard to gather all the evidence together, and you're clearly scum. You've tried calling me evil, maligning my efforts in an attempt to make yourself look townier, but it's all for naught!
gather all = great hall, evil maligning = mining village

vigilante veal = native village, pirate ship = star hippie, rats = star

start doping = trading post

Frankly, I'm happier it's down to you two. If your claim is true, then the effects upstream are easy enough to deal with.
pirate ship = happier it's, treasure map = upstream are

After a bit of analysis, here's what I've got:Sam - probably scum.*De-Ann - so very townie.Iris - scum scum scum.Jean- townie, maybe?Alex - probable independent.*Dave - town, I suppose.Harry - town-ish.Gilda - still hasn't said enough for me to say.Extra thanks to the starred heros who I'm sure will meet their end sooner rather than later. As for the rest of you, I've got nothing to say since I don't want to print naughty stuff when I don't have to
starred heros = horse traders, print naughty = hunting party

Well, it looks like I'm not going to be around much longer, but if chance permits me to survive to the next day, I hope I won't be tarred with the same brush as Iris.
chance permits = spice merchant, tarred = trader

regal lovebird = border village, risque = squire, am alienated = dame natalie, sir michael = reclaim his

cellar = recall, fates = feast

The fact is, Jean lurked for the whole of D1. If this tars me with the reputation of being a lurker lyncher, then so be it. If this were my game, I wouldn't just lamely mod it any which way, I'd make sure you posted when you were supposed to!
lamely mod = dame molly, jean lurked = junk dealer

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 07:32:49 am »

Wow, great puzzle. I didn't thought it would be Dominion related at all.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 10:07:49 am »

I am so bad at anagrams. This is crazy. Will +1.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 03:36:32 pm »

I'm very impressed.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 06:28:29 pm »

Absolutely fantastic work there. It all looks correct to me, but I'll take another look just to see if there's anything anyone missed.

Some notes:
Some sets were really hard to work with. Base because it's got lots of short card names, Alchemy because it has so few cards in general, Dark Ages because of all the really long card names that only have weird anagrams I could never fit into this context.
Yes, I screwed up by putting the Border Village anagram in with the Dark Ages quote. That was stupid of me.
Having Jester in the Cornucopia one was really just because I had to find a way to use "joker sad fact all", it was an unintended bonus.
Fun fact: Ill-gotten gains = A glistening lot. It seems appropriate.

Aaaaaand having looked through it all, bozzball got all of them plus a few from the wrong sets that snuck in as part of a bigger phrase (I was aware of them, but decided to keep them in anyway). I declare this Grail unveiled, and offer my congratulations to everyone who picked up on the solution.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 06:40:16 pm by ConMan »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 20 queries.