Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: IsoDom 5: Semi-finals Thread  (Read 5440 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
IsoDom 5: Semi-finals Thread
« on: August 15, 2012, 04:10:47 pm »

Ok, I know I'm early, but I really want to end this tournament while isotropic is still alive. I doubt that I'm able to do that, but anyways.
You can read my comments and/or watch my video:

angrybirds 40 -28 Qvist
I was really overwhelmed by this board. Please help me here. Wharf, Governor as strong cards and Farming Village, Inn, Bazar as Villages. I really didn't know what to do here and lost badly.

Qvist 41 - 22 angrybirds
King's Court, Tournament, Swindler, Remake, Scheme. There were no +Buys and King's Court was really skippable here I think. I opened Remake/Scheme to trash early and switch into Tournaments. Then it turned out that Swindler is pretty powerful here with strong $3s and $4s but Lookout and Treasure Map on the other side. So I could swindle his Tournament early and got to two early Golds which I embargoed later. He still picked up 2 Golds, but my first player advantage was too strong. He matched his KC witch Scheme later, but the game was nearly over until then. Even my Followers didn't do much anymore.

angrybirds 55 -66 Qvist
Colony game in which I tried an engine with Embassy/Smithy, Hamlet, Market and Bank. I had some really bad draws in the beginning which made my nervous leading in lack of concentration, but I could catch up his 3 Colony lead. In the second last turn I later realised he maybe should have better expanded his Bank into a Province instead of his Province into a Colony, giving me the possibility to end the game.

angrybirds 34 -36 Qvist
Straight forward Mountebank game. I picked up a Watchtower as defense which only prevented one attack and we both thought Monument is pretty strong in this cursing game, but both only had 4 extra VP. Also Vault didn't help that much. It was basically Mountebank-Big Money. He broke PPR and was unlucky.

Yeah, I'm in the finals. Thanks angrybirds for the nice games and hopefully the other players can schedule their games in time for finishing this tournament in time too.

Edit: Added Councilroom links
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:00:04 am by Qvist »

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: IsoDom 5: Semi-finals Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 02:34:36 pm »

OK, all semifinal matchups are now posted at their normal place.  Good luck to all!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 04:33:53 pm »
+4

I just won my semifinal against Mic Qsenoch.
It was a fun match with a lot of sets that made me puzzle. It was a while back that I played this well and 4.5-0.5 was the result. Joy! :)

20-11 Apprentice, Bridge, Colony, Island, Mine, Platinum, Sea Hag, Tactician, Talisman, Trading Post, Village, and Workshop

I looked at this set for a while and decided getting good stuff in is more important then getting bad stuff out here. So I skipped on the Sea Hag and opened Bridge/Silver, to get a quick Tactician. Later on I just kept adding more cards, even played with talisman and workshop. I do this only quite rarely but this set seems perfect for it... It worked even though he flipped over my first tactician with his Sea Hag.

55-42 Farmland, Haggler, Hunting Party, Loan, Noble Brigand, Quarry, Saboteur, Stables, Trade Route, and Tunnel

Second game he played the more conventional silver/silver into hunting parties and a single haggler. I wanted to try something different though, and with lots of attractive green cards I opened trading post/quarry. On t3/t4 I got a hunting party and a tunnel. I wanted that tunnel to "activate" my trading post, but also in some vague hope to get some golds out of them once I added a second tunnel. The second part of the plan never worked, but I got the vast majority of the hunting parties anyway and thus the game. He skipped a few silver buys he probably shouldn't have skipped.
At some point in there I could upgrade a farmland into province for the win but just didn't see it. Whew, didn't cost me the game ;)

24-14 Black Market, Courtyard, Festival, Ghost Ship, Lighthouse, Mine, Outpost, Remodel, Salvager, and Swindler

We played somewhat similar strategies here, but I had slightly more focus on cycling the deck and removing bad cards. He added an early swindler (opening) and a black market against my courtyards. I decided the cards in the regular kingdom were strong enough to build a decent engine and the BM didn't containt any game-warping cards anyway. Playing the salvager & remodel more often eventually got me the game.

24-24 Familiar, Hunting Party, Menagerie, Militia, Nobles, Nomad Camp, Potion, Scrying Pool, Secret Chamber, Swindler, and Torturer

This was a very weird game. At the start I had some very bad draws (5P for a familiar, 6P for a hunting party) and sort of mentally gave up. I try not to do that, espescially in tournaments, but it happended anyway. After this I just didn't believe in it but played on anyway. My swindlers hit some hunting parties, and that probably was more important then I realized. Hunting parties and curses ran out pretty quickly, but after that the game just went on and on and on. Until at some point I started looking at the point counter again, and it didn't look that bad at all. Well, I was still behind, but hey... On his turn 22 he had a 5 point lead, with only 3 estates to go. He could buy 2 of them and decided to go for it. I got rather lucky and got to $8, but that still left me 1 point behind. On turn 23 he had a scrying pool and a menagerie, but amazingly enough those didn't get him beyond $1, and I happily accepted the draw.

resigned Colony, Develop, Expand, Farmland, Haggler, Hamlet, Pirate Ship, Platinum, Remodel, Stables, Walled Village, and Watchtower

This was a really cool set. This afternoon I won a game while remodelling coppers into provinces, and looking at this set I thought 'hey why not try it with colonies too?'. The watchtower/hamlet combo is already quite strong on its own, but with another village, a remodel and some funny disappearing cash (haggler) this looked really promising. It worked a bit better then I hoped for, and on turn 9 the lead was already huge and he was sort of short on time so he resigned.

Thanks for playing Mic Qsenoch.
Join the Dominion League!

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 07:33:40 pm »

Is it Bo5 or Bo7?

EDIT: Oh, and when are the results due?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 07:35:36 pm by HiveMindEmulator »

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 07:55:14 pm »

I'd completely forgotten about BO5 vs. BO7.  Since I didn't make it clear here, semis will be BO5, finals BO7.  My apologies.

Results due ASAP, preferably by the end of this weekend.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 10:16:13 pm »

Young Nick over rspeer 3-1!

This was a very even match-up. We had mirrors or pseudo-mirrors in three out of the four games.

Game 1: rspeer 21 - 30 YN. Key cards: Jack of All Trades, Masquerade. He opens JoaT/Silver. I open JoaT/Masquerade. He buys a second Jack and an Island (which collides all game for him - ouch!). I buy straight money. I pull 5 Provinces in 12 turns! 12 turns! I'm sorry rspeer, you couldn't do anything with that shuffle luck!

Game 2: rspeer 40 - 56 YN. Key cards: Crossroads, Nobles, Laboratory, Remodel, Platinum & Colony. We both go for Crossroads + Nobles with Remodel and Laboratory support. It's a relatively straight-forward game, but my deck comes together a bit quicker than his and I manage to three-pile with ease.

Game 3: rspeer 12 - 7 YN. Key cards: Margrave, Fishing Village, Remodel, Platinum & Colony. I win the Fishing Village split 6-4, but Remodel two of them. He gets more early Margraves than I do and punishes me for it. I never have quite enough actions for my terminals and he is just two steps ahead of me from start to finish and comfortably ends it on piles. He had more early money than I did due to Silver buys and my Copper Remodeling, which was probably (along with the Margraves, obviously) the difference.

Game 4: YN 28 - 27 rspeer. Key cards: Merchant Ship, Spice Merchant, Tactician, Scrying Pool. A game with divergent strategies! Woah. But first, we both thin our decks with Spice Merchant. I transition into Scrying Pools while he goes for Tactician. We both use Merchant Ship as our main source of cash. On his final turn, he plays a Tactician and buys a Peddler with $2 instead of an Estate. I win it by one point the next turn by buying Province + Estate. Had he bought the Estate, he would have surely won. It would not have mattered if not for my blundering with my self-Scrying - if not for that I would have probably had $13 for Province + Duchy. Lucky for me, it made no difference.

Thanks for the great match and chat, rspeer, and for putting up with my internet difficulties!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 07:00:12 pm »
+1

DG 3 : 0 HiveMindEmulator - three little adventures in Dominion

DG 38 : 27 HME http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/31/game-20120831-151417-3dc59a40.html
DG 52 : 33 HME http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/31/game-20120831-152242-fef6342d.html
DG 51 : 49 HME http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/31/game-20120831-153800-c1150661.html

First game was a tricky set with remake leading to grand markets through to ... possession. I think we both knew you had to build a fast little linear drawing deck and let it bloat with vp as soon as the possessions hit, but mine came through a fraction earlier.

Second game I stuck to a Jack of all trades variation whilst HME moved into a bishop and black market adventure and my dull little deck found a lot of sustained coinage.

Third game was my turn for some adventure with all sorts of strange stuff that never really came to very much but might have done. Too many possibilities to mention and too many ways to play the governors as well I bet. Anyway I came through to the last turn with an 18 point deficit and a big golem/governor turn. I trashed a platinum for a colony and had to hope that HME didn't have something to trash for points. Luck was my side letting me buy the last colony for the series.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 05:44:34 pm »

I won my semifinal against clb, so I guess I'll finally get to play Qvist after all, after having to concede our last round matchup for other reasons :). clb was very arranging with the time-zone thing (Pacific vs France, not the most convenient it turns out) as well as a worthy opponent.

Teproc 3-1 clb

Game 1 : 42 - 26
Game 2 : 50 - 28
Game 3 : 36 - 37
Game 4 : 39 -35
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 11:44:06 pm »

DG 3 : 0 HiveMindEmulator - three little adventures in Dominion

DG 38 : 27 HME http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/31/game-20120831-151417-3dc59a40.html
DG 52 : 33 HME http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/31/game-20120831-152242-fef6342d.html
DG 51 : 49 HME http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/31/game-20120831-153800-c1150661.html

First game was a tricky set with remake leading to grand markets through to ... possession. I think we both knew you had to build a fast little linear drawing deck and let it bloat with vp as soon as the possessions hit, but mine came through a fraction earlier.

Second game I stuck to a Jack of all trades variation whilst HME moved into a bishop and black market adventure and my dull little deck found a lot of sustained coinage.

Third game was my turn for some adventure with all sorts of strange stuff that never really came to very much but might have done. Too many possibilities to mention and too many ways to play the governors as well I bet. Anyway I came through to the last turn with an 18 point deficit and a big golem/governor turn. I trashed a platinum for a colony and had to hope that HME didn't have something to trash for points. Luck was my side letting me buy the last colony for the series.

Game 2 was the only one where we had greatly divergent strategies. There wasn't a whole lot of great stuff on the board so I was hoping to find something in the Black Market to set up multi-Bishop turns. This was a fool's mission, however, as I would have needed both +cards and +actions. I ended up actually not finding either, but my chances weren't great to begin with. Jack decks sustain pretty well, so I didn't really have forever to get it going.

Game 1 and 3, our strategies were quite similar. It could be argued that he got better draws, but I certainly didn't adapt well to mine.

So I was pretty much (at least slightly) outplayed in every game. Well done to DG and good luck in the finals!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 11:21:07 am »

I won my semifinal against clb, so I guess I'll finally get to play Qvist after all, after having to concede our last round matchup for other reasons :). clb was very arranging with the time-zone thing (Pacific vs France, not the most convenient it turns out) as well as a worthy opponent.

Teproc 3-1 clb

Game 1 : 42 - 26
Game 2 : 50 - 28
Game 3 : 36 - 37
Game 4 : 39 -35

Congrats. I'm looking forward to play against you.
@Kirian: Any timeframe for the finals? Or can we schedule this already?

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 02:30:16 pm »

Go ahead and schedule your finals match.  I think my semi is the only one unplayed.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 11:59:05 pm »

Big thanks to Kirian for his patience in scheduling our semi. (I actually moved places twice, with a very busy vacation in between, so I was tough to schedule.)

blueblimp 3 - 0 Kirian

Game 1: blueblimp 44 - Kirian 31
Game 2: Kirian 43 - blueblimp 83
Game 3: Kirian 26 - blueblimp 36

Game 1: There almost is an engine here, with Festival, Margrave, Quarry, and Remake available. It doesn't seem quite enough though, so we mostly orient towards opening Remake/Silver into BM (me getting a couple Margraves, Kirian a Margrave, an Embassy, and a couple Festivals). I think I'm unlucky when my Remake and Silver both fall to T5, but that turn is a jackpot Remake-Silver-Copper-Estate-Estate hand, which makes up for it. Not clear exactly what made the difference here (maybe 1st-player advantage), but my intuition is that Margrave should be better for BM than Embassy is, and the rankings thread agrees.

Game 2: A Colony game with Chapel and Masquerade, along with the anti-trashing cards Swindler, Noble Brigand and (to a lesser extent) Jester. Oh yeah, and Goons, but there's no village. We both get 5/2. I prefer Swindler/Chapel, reasoning that an early Swindler hit on a key purchase could be game-deciding, while Kirian goes for Jester/Chapel. Kirian actually gets the first Swindler play since mine collides with my Chapel, but I hit the jackpot when I change his Chapel to an Estate and later change his first Gold to a Goons (damaging in a small deck with no villages). This leads to a runaway victory.

Game 3: A good kingdom for Scrying Pool, and "(Kirian draws: 3 Estates, a Copper, and a Potion.)" on T3, and then again on T12. Not much else to say, although Kirian almost steals it back with some well-timed Provinces.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.