Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Dominion videos by me!  (Read 26671 times)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Dominion videos by me!
« on: January 25, 2012, 03:30:13 pm »
+3

Log of videos Posted:

Playlist:

(I stopped listing all the videos here because it was getting tedious and silly.  You can get to all of them from the Playlist)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

It's slightly better played in the "Large Player" mode, but not as pretty as WanderingWinder's videos yet.

I thought I'd give this a shot, it looked like a lot of fun.  This was a very simple game against shura_k, but it did show a good case of Bishop being a "trap" against a faster strategy.  I appreciate any comments or criticisms, and yeah, I know my voice is a little weird. 

Boring quality/editing stuff:
Youtube screwed my quality a bit, looks a little like the video theory posted. :/  I have a good idea how to make this better if I record another (Crop out the sides from the start before adding my silly annotations.  I'd edit it now but it would be quite an undertaking for an experimental video)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:51:24 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: A mediocre player posts videos to make better players cringe
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:35:00 pm »
+1

I thought you played that game quite well. Sea Hag was likely the right decision. Had he taken a sea hag also, fool's gold would probably have been a bad idea, but his Bishop opening made it a good idea. Basically every time you play the sea hag and he plays a bishop, his deck size stays the same while yours gets smaller. And as you pointed out, he took all the early game trashing to gain 10 points, which you made up in a single buy.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 04:35:33 pm »

Added to the DS channel.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 04:38:48 pm »
+1

Just in terms of editing, the popups were somewhat distracting and I would stay away from them. It's one thing to have a clean list of key cards in the deck, but MTV-style text bubbles with explosion edges just looks amateurish. I'd strongly prefer a simpler, cleaner look.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 04:42:11 pm »

Just in terms of editing, the popups were somewhat distracting and I would stay away from them. It's one thing to have a clean list of key cards in the deck, but MTV-style text bubbles with explosion edges just looks amateurish. I'd strongly prefer a simpler, cleaner look.

Yeah, it seemed like a better idea while I was making it than watching it.  I've never used the things in other videos I've made; probably plain text when an annotation is needed works better.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion videos by me!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 02:02:52 pm »
+3

Here is another video, this one showing off Tactician/Tunnel in a three-player game:

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 02:22:53 pm »

That's nice. You're right, I've never seen that before.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 10:46:55 pm »

That's nice. You're right, I've never seen that before.
You haven't? It is very dominant when together. Add 1-2 Golems and you are set :)
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Atto

• Swindler
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 05:33:51 am »

Great combo. I thought this should work and tried it out once. I horribly failed, so i don't know if i would have played it a second time.
Watching your video i think the key is to buy the two Tacticians first and only as few Tunnels as possible, as you say.
With this information, I will definitely play this strategy again, the next time it is on a board.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 08:12:05 pm »
+1

I find it hard to imagine that 2 other players playing straight BM-Envoy or BM-Smithy wouldn't beat that outright. The end of turn 14 still has 10 (!) Provinces left in the supply, and you bought 1 of them.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 09:27:51 pm »

I find it hard to imagine that 2 other players playing straight BM-Envoy or BM-Smithy wouldn't beat that outright. The end of turn 14 still has 10 (!) Provinces left in the supply, and you bought 1 of them.

I'm sure that's true  (In fact, in doing some solitaire testing I'm pretty sure Tactician/Money beats Tactician/Tunnel).  A shame when fun combos aren't optimal, but sometimes it's nice to try them anyway.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:30:04 pm by jsh357 »

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 06:24:56 pm »

Well, I've been recording a lot of matches lately but haven't run in to one that felt too interesting for a while.  I liked this one (which was against an unregistered user) that shows a situation in which I found Duchess helpful (critical even):

I didn't get a chance to ask the player permission... (I had been doing that for a bit before starting games, but it seemed like it made the whole thing awkward or might make it seem like I'm only posting wins for massive ego inflation when a video didn't go up.  On that note, I'm not, this has all just been coincidence/my commentary generally means more if I do actually win)  It seems like other video posters haven't either but I'd like to think this is all consensual.  I guess I'll adopt the policy that if anyone doesn't like their game being posted I'll remove it.

A mistake that might be a bit distracting: Occasionally one of the cards in my hand is cut off the screen.  I'm still wrestling with finding the right screen size to get the best possible picture quality, so bear with me here.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 04:11:32 pm »
+1

This one's not that great, but I had to get my feelings on Tournament out of the way I guess.

RobertJ

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 04:03:11 pm »

I was your opponent in that Fool's Gold/Tournament game. Thanks for the 5 minutes 53 seconds of fame! I'm glad I didn't make too many egregious mistakes.

For what it's worth I think I considered Fool's Gold for a while too but without a cheap +buy and no trashing but Moneylender it looked too unlikely to get a good density of them. I don't know whether this really is the case or whether I just got lucky with the Tournament hit.

Thanks again for the game. Hope to play you again sometime.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 04:11:37 pm »

I was your opponent in that Fool's Gold/Tournament game. Thanks for the 5 minutes 53 seconds of fame! I'm glad I didn't make too many egregious mistakes.

For what it's worth I think I considered Fool's Gold for a while too but without a cheap +buy and no trashing but Moneylender it looked too unlikely to get a good density of them. I don't know whether this really is the case or whether I just got lucky with the Tournament hit.

Thanks again for the game. Hope to play you again sometime.

You're probably right.  I tend to overrate FG

I put up another video today:

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 02:39:24 pm »
+2

Had a (casual) tournament round this morning, and made some more videos.  I really need to update that original post.

And this one just for fun afterward:

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 03:59:39 pm »
+1

Nice, keep it up. I like how you comment the things, revealing your thought process.
One thing I noticed: While this in-video text like (no real quotes, out of my mind) "in hindsight I should have ..." or "probably a mistake, ..." are good as postgame analysis, I don't like them popping up during the video at all, since they are spoiling the result, basically telling me you lost this game before I finished watching it. I'd prefer tension over analysis here.
If you want to do this kind of analysis, maybe in the video description?

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 04:12:03 pm »
+1

Nice, keep it up. I like how you comment the things, revealing your thought process.
One thing I noticed: While this in-video text like (no real quotes, out of my mind) "in hindsight I should have ..." or "probably a mistake, ..." are good as postgame analysis, I don't like them popping up during the video at all, since they are spoiling the result, basically telling me you lost this game before I finished watching it. I'd prefer tension over analysis here.
If you want to do this kind of analysis, maybe in the video description?

That is a good thought, which I hadn't really considered... (I guess I'm not thinking of the videos as a form of entertainment when they are pretty much 60% that)  Next time perhaps I'll try adding a post-game follow up section/conclusion paragraph at the tail of the video.  It's an interesting idea.

paddyodoors

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 10:45:15 am »

That is a good thought, which I hadn't really considered... (I guess I'm not thinking of the videos as a form of entertainment when they are pretty much 60% that)  Next time perhaps I'll try adding a post-game follow up section/conclusion paragraph at the tail of the video.  It's an interesting idea.

Yes, I think a couple of simple, basic PP slides at the end of the video would be perfect for this!

Kelume

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 12:01:26 pm »

Great videos! I definitely liked hearing the other side of the games. :) I liked the mid-game explanations here but I guess the endings were already spoiled for me, haha.

Game 1 - the Fishing Village was mostly in the event that I had some time to pick up a Nobles, but when I had the opportunity Gold felt like the better buy.

Game 2, I think your plan was a bit better than mine with the Smithies, but I think you greened a bit early, which let me take the lead in Provinces.

I definitely made some mistakes in game 3 - I for some reason thought Talismans let me double up on Islands; I think Fool's Gold also was the right choice there. I also played a bit quick and misplayed a couple buys, as WW rightly pointed out in the Youtube comments, thinking that $5 would only get me a Duchy when I had a bridge in play.

Game 4 was a bit frustrating, I had 5 curses and still all 3 estates by turn 8 despite the same opening and two Salvagers. I blame bad luck as you mention but I feel it's deserved! This one seemed decided by turn 5.

Game 5, you pretty much explained my strategy correctly. I Remade the Native Village because it had a Province and nothing else on it and I would much rather a silver at that point. I was also making a point of avoiding Harems when there were other options to mitigate the Smuggler risk.

The bonus game was definitely decided by the trader and that huge influx of Silver. I was hoping to win the split on Silk Roads by starting first but you nabbed the same number as me, and had the better endgame with Trader. Well chosen. :)

All in all, I had fun and definitely learned some things! If you or anyone else has comments on my play, I'm happy to hear it.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 11:08:48 am »

Another video... Going to try and start uploading more for a while, but we'll see what happens.

Highway, Mint, Horse Traders

Recording tournament matches live has been too distracting for me, but I might record them and do post-commentary.  That could be interesting.

Hey, it's been a while, but I thought I'd try recording a few games again.  I think the audio sounds pretty messed up for some reason, but eh, I can always fix it next time.  Neat little Vineyard game this time.

Another on 11/15:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 11:08:20 am by jsh357 »

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 11:08:08 am »
+2

I've decided to put up some Dark Ages videos.  Let me know how terrible/easy to follow Goko is on video, as I'm a bit unsure.  Should I check the log periodically? 

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 11:33:10 am »

The animations were mostly slow enough to follow. What I would suggest is checking the log at the end (or before the end of your last turn), and scroll through so that someone can pause the video and check what happened at a specific point.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 11:37:24 am »

The animations were mostly slow enough to follow. What I would suggest is checking the log at the end (or before the end of your last turn), and scroll through so that someone can pause the video and check what happened at a specific point.

Ah, good suggestion.  I can also try slowing it down 1 more setting, but man, that's too slow.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 10:28:35 pm »

I think it would be helpful if you read the new cards or at least paraphrased them (when making DA videos). At least I dont know most of them. Maybe also explain why the strategy you choose is the best one in your opinion?

Nice videos by the way!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 20 queries.