Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: S3 League Champion Match: Congratulations to the league champion!  (Read 16042 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
+12

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!

Don't miss the exciting conclusion to Season 3 of the Dominion League as the two top-ranked players in the A division square off in the CHAMPION MATCH!

IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THIS!

Yed, AKA "Goliath" currently has a 1.5 point lead over Stef, AKA "David" based on their performance in the A division this season -- can Stef overcome this deficit and pull out at least 4 wins out of 6 games? Find out, LIVE, in this CLASH OF THE TITANS!

TWO WILL ENTER, ONLY ONE WILL EMERGE AS LEAGUE CHAMPION!

The Deets:

When: Sunday 19 Oct. 21:00 CEST (15:00 Forum Time)

Who: yed and Stef will be playing
   Mic Qsenoch and AdamH will be commentating the match, with (at least) Silverspawn and Qvist as guests.

Where: My stream for commentary and chat, or you can watch Stef's stream if you only want to see the playing.

Results, videos, and such are in this post.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:27:33 pm by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3234
    • View Profile
+2

I would love to commentate

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the results from this are being added to the A league table to find the winner, not just a straight playoff? So Stef needs 4 points to win, Yed needs 2.5, rather than in a straight playoff, where someone would need 3.5 points to win.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games

I would guest commentate, but I don't think I'd be that insightful.  Guess I will stick to chat moderation.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the results from this are being added to the A league table to find the winner, not just a straight playoff? So Stef needs 4 points to win, Yed needs 2.5, rather than in a straight playoff, where someone would need 3.5 points to win.

That's correct.

About commentators: once we have a list of people interested in doing commentary, we'll figure out who people want to hear. I'm willing to help out, but I don't know that people want to hear just some guy who can't break out of the C division talk about high-level play.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
+5

I would guest commentate, but I don't think I'd be that insightful.  Guess I will stick to chat moderation.

You could comment on the card art.

I would love to commentate.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile

How many guest commentators should there be?  One per game?  If you need one to fit that I'll try and be serious for ten minutes.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile

I won't be available for the actual match but I assume you're recording. I vote Adam for commentating.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
+2

In my mind's eye, my vision for this is as follows:

Stef has offered to stream his perspective on the match, but doesn't want to provide his own commentary. I'm thinking there will be an X-way Skype call where Stef shares his screen. I'll stream the video of that call on my channel along with the Skype conversation, which could include any number of commentators (and doesn't have to include me). Stef will have to mute the commentary as he's playing.

Realistically, I think it will get the most viewers if it's streamed from my channel, which is why I've suggested that. I know for the GokoDom III finals, AI was able to set it up in such a way where he could stream it from his channel, but I honestly don't know how that was done. If this is easier/better to do then I'll be happy to do it.

Commentary: my original vision was to have two commentators. One of them should be a high-level person who shouldn't have any trouble grasping all nuances of strategy that are taking place on both sides -- a respected member of the F.DS community who, most of the time, will be able to translate what's going on to the audience. The second one should be more relatable: they may ask strategic questions of the other commentator ("Why not this?" "Why do you think this is best?" "Who do you think is ahead?") that novice players may have on their mind. They may inject humor. Most professional commentator pairs have this dynamic -- the funny guy and the smart guy -- and I think it's pretty successful.

Of course there may be more than one of each of these things, but I don't want it to get too crowded. I would hesitate a lot if people wanted more than 3 commentators. The people commentating should have a good chemistry already (I've spoken quite a bit with Qvist and Jsh for example), which likely means it might be a good idea for them to chat on Skype a bit before the match just to get comfortable around each other.

I feel like I could be "the funny guy" for sure, silverspawn is going to promote to the A division after this season so he could certainly be "the smart guy" -- I'm happy to contribute but if other people are more popular/qualified then I'll certainly step aside. I don't feel like I have any right to hog the spotlight or anything given where I stand in the rankings. I'm hoping just to recruit whoever people want to hear for commentary, and hopefully it will be as simple as that.

All of these details are flexible. If something else works better I'm open to it, we have a week to talk about it.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
+4

I would be willing to commentate, although my style tends to be subdued AKA boring.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
+1

Stef has offered to stream his perspective on the match, but doesn't want to provide his own commentary. I'm thinking there will be an X-way Skype call where Stef shares his screen. I'll stream the video of that call on my channel along with the Skype conversation, which could include any number of commentators (and doesn't have to include me). Stef will have to mute the commentary as he's playing.

Isn't screen-sharing in multi-way calls expensive, in terms of bandwidth? I'm not sure myself, but I'd be concerned that relying on sharing from Stef to a bunch of people could lead to problems. What about having Stef stream his screen (without commentary), and let Adam (or whoever) restream that while in the multi-way Skype call, while all the commentators watch Stef's original stream to stay in sync?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos

Isn't screen-sharing in multi-way calls expensive, in terms of bandwidth? I'm not sure myself, but I'd be concerned that relying on sharing from Stef to a bunch of people could lead to problems. What about having Stef stream his screen (without commentary), and let Adam (or whoever) restream that while in the multi-way Skype call, while all the commentators watch Stef's original stream to stay in sync?

It's very possible this could be better. Perhaps some experimentation is in order?

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile

We could just make it a multitwitch, if everyone is able to listen to all of the other twitches without broadcasting it on their own stream again.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
+1

Loving this. I would like to comment, though I am probably in the grey useless area between being good enough at broadcasting and good-at-Dominion enough.

By the way, I think it would be good to ask that people that comment are fluent at speaking English. It is quite possible that people that can communicate really well on a forum, but would stumble at live spoken commentary.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

I think you got the right idea about 2 casters, 3 max. Probably also about the split focus on strategy/entertainment. Most of the good casting duo's I've seen do it like this, including what's by far the best sc2 casting team.

I would, as I said, love to commentate. A lot. I don't know anything about performance and the technical stuff, so I'm of no help there, but I do have Skype, a nice microphone, and I speak fluent English (although with a slight german accent). So, that should work. If you want, we can chat sometime before next Monday, as you suggested (that is, assuming we're casting together).

I think I'm capable of providing strategic depth and that fluff, but if we go solely by skill, MicQ still has the edge.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile

I would be willing to commentate, although my style tends to be subdued AKA boring.

I really enjoyed the commentary you provided for GokoDom and your style on your streams. I would like to see you as a commentator here.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
+1

I imagine, after the last GokoDom finals, the games is going to be slow-paced for the most part. So, you can interview people in the chat asking for what they would do, what they think is each players plan, etc. This is besides having an official "good player" commentator. It could be really fun.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
+1

UPDATE: I'm going to compile a list in the OP of all people interested in providing commentary for the match. After a couple of days, I may make a poll to see who everybody wants to have commentate (unless a better idea is suggested). If you're interested in being on this list, post here and I'll add you. If I put you on the list and you want to be taken off, let me know.

MarkowKette

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile

I would love to try guest commentating for a game or two of the finals.
I'm probably not entertaining enough to be the funny guy, but discussing possible strategies before the game starts and pointing out interesting decisions in the gameplay are among the things i love most in dominion.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos

I've added a poll to the OP. Everyone is encouraged to vote. I'll probably leave it up until Friday -- hopefully there will be a clear choice for who people want to see. If not, maybe we'll switch commentators between games or something?

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
+5

I've added a poll to the OP. Everyone is encouraged to vote. I'll probably leave it up until Friday -- hopefully there will be a clear choice for who people want to see. If not, maybe we'll switch commentators between games or something?

I voted for a pair, but I would like the rotation even more than any single commentator. Maybe a rotating third / live interviews?

In any case, I would love that the spoke commentary speaks about what is commented in the chat.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos

I voted for a pair, but I would like the rotation even more than any single commentator. Maybe a rotating third / live interviews?

In any case, I would love that the spoke commentary speaks about what is commented in the chat.

This is certainly a possibility -- if you also like this idea, upvote that post!

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
+1

Not sure if a rotation is needed, but being responsive to the chat while commenting sounds great.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
+2

I'm sorry I'm a bit late with this, but I dislike public polls where I'm voting for/against people.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 10:15:24 am by -Stef- »
Join the Dominion League!

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
+1

I'm sorry I'm a bit late with this, but I dislike public polls where I'm voting for/against people.

You must hate democracy.  ;)

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile

Well, you usually can't see for whom others vote for, can you ;)?
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
+2

I've reset the poll so that at least the results are more private. If you've already voted, I've recorded those results -- you don't need to vote again. You can, but I'm going to manually add in the votes that have already been received afterward so I'll just count the new ones. Hopefully this is better.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
+1

Adam is the hero f.ds needs, not the one it deserves.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
+3

Adam is the hero f.ds needs, not the one it deserves.

I mean, I didn't think it through, a private poll is clearly better now that I think about it. I'm just cleaning up my mess, if you find that heroic, I suppose I won't disagree or stop you :P

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
+1

Well, you usually can't see for whom others vote for, can you ;)?

Yeah, bad joke. Anyway, I agree private polls are better here.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos

Looks like voting on the poll has slowed down and the results are pretty clear. I'm going to go ahead and close the poll.

Pretty much everyone wants Mic Qsenoch to be there, which doesn't surprise me -- as League Champion in Seasons 1 and 2, and as the highest finisher this season who isn't in the champion match this time around, I can think of nobody more qualified to offer high-level commentary. This plus his previous experience with co-commentating the GokoDom III finals means he has everything to offer, on top of the fact that he's been an active member of not only the F.DS community, but streaming in particular, for quite some time. I don't think there's a better person out there to be part of the commentating team for this match and I'm really excited he's on board.

I got a few less votes, myself, but still most people who voted gave me a nod, and I'm honored. I think my qualifications are pretty complementary to MQ's. As basically the pioneer for live-streaming Dominion, I arguably have more experience broadcasting Dominion than anyone else out there, except for maybe Wandering Winder, and I've certainly live-streamed the most. I feel very comfortable interacting with chat, other people on Skype, and making an entertaining, memorable, and interactive event.

Given the format we're looking for and the break in votes between the two of us and other candidates, it seems logical that MQ and I will be the "core" duo of commentators, and we'll be present throughout the match.

It's been a relatively popular suggestion to mix up the group of commentators and try to incorporate more people, and there's a great opportunity to do this: Silverspawn and Qvist both received a pretty good number of votes through the poll, and both expressed an interest in commentating the match. Silverspawn had a monster performance in the B division, and will be promoting up to A as a result, and Qvist has quite a following on YouTube because of ability to speak well about his high-level play.

I think it only makes sense to include both of them. We'll likely bring each of them on for a couple of games or so to join MQ and I, and I'll probably hang back in the commentary and focus more on being the voice of the chat and moderating the match (which I also have to do) during these times so it doesn't get too busy with the commentary.

Depending on the pace of the match, we may even bring some other folks on to talk for a bit as well. They could be other people who volunteered here or just people from the chat who have something interesting to say.

I'm excited we have a team of commentators picked, I'll see you all on Sunday!

Full disclosure: people who voted before I changed the poll to be private and didn't re-submit votes made up the following totals, to be added to the poll results as you can see them:

MQ - 4 votes
AH - 4 votes
Qvist - 2 votes
jsh - 1 vote
MK - 1 vote

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Re: S3 League Champion Match: LIVE STREAMED Sunday 19 Oct. 21:00 CEST
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 05:19:05 am »

I call dibs on being the guy who suggests awful plans in chat.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 09:55:32 am »

I call dibs on being the guy who suggests awful plans in chat.

Dibs are delicious.  It's too bad they contain 200% of my daily caloric intake.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2014, 02:51:50 pm »

Going live now with the champion match!

http://www.twitch.tv/adamhorton

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2014, 05:59:13 pm »

Congrats Stef!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2014, 06:00:10 pm »

Twitch past-broadcast: http://www.twitch.tv/adamhorton/b/579841817

I'll highlight and export things, and attach the chat logs, and all that good stuff.

Here are the kingdoms, along with who submitted them:

1. JW: Crossroads, Stonemason, Scheme, Steward, Caravan, Treasure Map, Worker's Village, Catacombs, Graverobber, Stables

2. Silverspawn: Shanty Town, Wishing Well, Feodum, Remake, Silk Road, Embassy, Soothsayer, Stables, Wharf, Fairgrounds

3. Silverspawn: Crossroads, Fishing Village, Menagerie, Trade Route, Baron, Bishop, Bandit Camp, Cache, Mystic, Bank

4. Awaclus: Herbalist, Fishing Village, Hermit, Masterpiece, Death Cart, Quarry, Contraband, Library, Rebuild, Fairgrounds

5. AdamH: Vineyard, Native Village, Sage, Village, Bridge, Gardens, Baker, Harvest, Junk Dealer, Grand Market

6. JW: Horn of Plenty, Rabble, Shanty Town, Spice Merchant, Steward, Mint, Trader, Merchant Ship, Trading Post, Venture

Congratulations to Stef on becoming league champion!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 06:39:52 pm by AdamH »

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 09:50:07 am »
+3

Videos and such are done. I won't do a write-up of the games but here are all the links. I'll attach the chat log to this message as well.

Entire Champion Match: Twitch Highlight     YouTube Video (part 1)     YouTube Video (part 2)

Game 1: Twitch Highlight     YouTube Video     Game log
Kingdom (submitted by JW): Crossroads, Stonemason, Scheme, Steward, Caravan, Treasure Map, Worker's Village, Catacombs, Graverobber, Stables

Game 2: Twitch Highlight     YouTube Video     Game log
Kingdom (submitted by Silverspawn): Shanty Town, Wishing Well, Feodum, Remake, Silk Road, Embassy, Soothsayer, Stables, Wharf, Fairgrounds

Game 3: Twitch Highlight     YouTube Video     Game log
Kingdom (submitted by Silverspawn): Crossroads, Fishing Village, Menagerie, Trade Route, Baron, Bishop, Bandit Camp, Cache, Mystic, Bank (played with Shelters for the Champion match, though it was submitted with Estates)

Game 4: Twitch Highlight     YouTube Video     Game log
Kingdom (submitted by Awaclus): Herbalist, Fishing Village, Hermit, Masterpiece, Death Cart, Quarry, Contraband, Library, Rebuild, Fairgrounds (played with Colonies for the Champion match, though it was submitted with only Provinces)

Game 5: Twitch Highlight     YouTube Video     Game log
Kingdom (submitted by AdamH): Vineyard, Native Village, Sage, Village, Bridge, Gardens, Baker, Harvest, Junk Dealer, Grand Market

Game 6: Twitch Highlight     YouTube Video     Game log
Kingdom (submitted by JW): Horn of Plenty, Rabble, Shanty Town, Spice Merchant, Steward, Mint, Trader, Merchant Ship, Trading Post, Venture

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: S3 League Champion Match: Congratulations to Stef!
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 12:26:12 pm »

Spoiler in the thread title.  (Not so bad for me as I already was spoilered by watching the first three games and getting the result of the last on BGG)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: S3 League Champion Match: Congratulations to Stef!
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 02:26:45 pm »

Spoiler in the thread title.
Congratulations to stef for reaching second place three times in a row. muahahaha.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 20 queries.