Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 349479 times)

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #1025 on: July 21, 2016, 03:30:03 pm »
+1

Rating systems are completely arbitrary. Someone's 5 could be someone else's 7, or someone's A could be someone's C. It's completely covered in bias. I think the only system that works more consistently is pass/fail and liked/didn't like.

For movies, I generally agree. I'm much more a fan of rottentomatoes than metacritic.

But pass/fail for schooling would be terrible.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: July 21, 2016, 03:30:49 pm »

Rating systems are completely arbitrary. Someone's 5 could be someone else's 7, or someone's A could be someone's C. It's completely covered in bias. I think the only system that works more consistently is pass/fail and liked/didn't like.

For movies, I generally agree. I'm much more a fan of rottentomatoes than metacritic.

But pass/fail for schooling would be terrible.

There's a system in place at school. There's a difference.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3229
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: July 21, 2016, 03:44:38 pm »

pass/fail is just as arbitrary. Being arbitrary does not imply being useless. You just have to define it.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: July 21, 2016, 03:53:02 pm »

I think Ghostbusters would have been much better if there were no cameos or call-backs or anything. I think it would have been better if it was just entirely fresh.

It could have stood on its own without the cameos. I interpret the cameos to be tacit approvals by the original cast. Basically they were saying, “Yeah, we know it’s not the original, but we can all still have fun.” Well, except for Ramis. We won’t know what his take on it was, but considering how close he was with the others, I’d have to think he was on board.

What I wanted to judge them on was how will this look to someone who doesn’t know the original? Bill Murray, Annie Potts, and Ernie Hudson all played their roles pretty well, and I think those scenes would stand on their own even if they weren’t knowing winks to the audience. Sigourney Weaver didn’t thrill me, but I didn’t think she was out of place. Aykroyd’s cameo was the only one that stuck out like a sore thumb. It was like a random scene that wasn’t even really that funny except that he said the movie’s motto.

I feel like if someone sat down with this movie and was told that there were cameos, but the person had no idea who the actors were, he would have picked out Aykroyd’s as the obligatory cameo. He may not realize the other scenes were.

I felt that referencing the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man was appropriate for where it was. Again, if someone who never saw the original watched this scene, I imagine he would just tie it to the other characters and not think anything about it. I don’t feel the same way about Slimer. It did feel a little ham-fisted. When he first shows up, it’s just another random ghost who annoys the Ghostbusters. When they introduced his girlfriend….well, that was pretty silly.

I actually liked how they came up with the logo. The artist felt a little odd to me, but I kind of liked the organic process of building the logo. And despite me not liking the hyperstupidity of Kevin, I found his sketch of the hot dog pretty funny. Also the response to his sketchbook.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: July 21, 2016, 03:56:02 pm »

but which Matrix action scenes did you find tedious?

I refer to the lobby scene. By the time that comes up, we know how much training they’ve had. It was just a scene of beating up mooks. They got to showcase some of the nifty tricks they learned, but all of this could have been accomplished in 20% of the time.

It’s why I’m glad the Times Square scene in Ghostbusters was brief. It made its point and was done. It might not have sat well with me completely, but I can’t argue about the length.
A man has no signature

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: July 21, 2016, 04:03:52 pm »

I actually liked how they came up with the logo. The artist felt a little odd to me, but I kind of liked the organic process of building the logo.

Oh, I liked that moment too. I was trying to not give spoilers, but ended up just being unclear. I meant the design of the final ghost that the ghostbusters fight, when Rowan becomes a giant version of the logo

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: July 21, 2016, 06:01:30 pm »

I actually liked how they came up with the logo. The artist felt a little odd to me, but I kind of liked the organic process of building the logo.

Oh, I liked that moment too. I was trying to not give spoilers, but ended up just being unclear. I meant the design of the final ghost that the ghostbusters fight, when Rowan becomes a giant version of the logo

Ah, yeah, that didn't overly thrill me. It was kind of like using their own power against them, so to speak. It reminds me of the "choose your doom" from the original Ghostbusters. They took something innocent and made it monstrous. It looked a lot like Oogie Boogie.
A man has no signature

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: July 22, 2016, 02:33:48 pm »
+1

Or you could order all the movies in a single ordered list.  ::)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: July 22, 2016, 02:43:15 pm »

What?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: July 22, 2016, 10:04:58 pm »
+2

What?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3229
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: July 22, 2016, 10:36:38 pm »

Well I have done that! But I also have rated them all.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: July 22, 2016, 10:47:54 pm »

What?

There is a problem with that. That hulking huge list would eventually just be too big to keep lugging around. I suppose you could just categorize it all on a page and then reference where on the list it ranks, but that is still very cumbersome. Even with the incorrectness of the rating system, there is still a desired sleekness to it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: July 24, 2016, 07:49:33 am »

So I saw Star Trek on Friday.  Overall entertainment level is high, physics level is low, but of course that is expected.  I wasn't bothered too much by all the questionable situations, but I did get caught up with the following (it's at the end, so spoilering it):

In the final fight, where Kirk has to go chase down the bad guy, anyone at the base could have beamed either of them away at any time.  They could have simply beamed bad man to a cell or something before he ever got there, and even if not they could have beamed Kirk away from danger after the thing was disposed of.  I try not to get too hung up on this stuff, but the danger was very artificial here.

At any rate, high points were acting and comedic dialogue.  Could have used more philosophy, character drama, etc. and less action, but hey the action was pretty fun here.  Karl Urban as Bones was particularly good.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: July 24, 2016, 08:16:30 am »

The Conjuring 2 was really good. My only criticisms would be: it's very close in plot/feel to The Conjuring (which is not particularly surprising) and something makes me a little uncomfortable where it's based on a "real story" which is a likely hoax, although that's also a criticism of The Conjuring, and at the end of the day it's your own fault if you take it too uncritically.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: July 24, 2016, 09:26:35 am »

So I saw Star Trek on Friday.  Overall entertainment level is high, physics level is low, but of course that is expected.  I wasn't bothered too much by all the questionable situations, but I did get caught up with the following (it's at the end, so spoilering it):

In the final fight, where Kirk has to go chase down the bad guy, anyone at the base could have beamed either of them away at any time.  They could have simply beamed bad man to a cell or something before he ever got there, and even if not they could have beamed Kirk away from danger after the thing was disposed of.  I try not to get too hung up on this stuff, but the danger was very artificial here.

At any rate, high points were acting and comedic dialogue.  Could have used more philosophy, character drama, etc. and less action, but hey the action was pretty fun here.  Karl Urban as Bones was particularly good.

Are you talking about Beyond, or the first new Star Trek? If Beyond, how did you feel it compares to the first two?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: July 24, 2016, 11:30:43 am »

Are you talking about Beyond, or the first new Star Trek? If Beyond, how did you feel it compares to the first two?

Beyond.  Um.. a little weaker I think, but it's not like those issues I had weren't in the others.  The first one I liked quite a bit.. it felt.. refreshing.  The second gets a lot of points just for Benedict Cumberbatch.

Overall I liked Beyond.. I was genuinely amused by the funny parts, even laughed.  Though I think I would have liked it better if I didn't see it in 3D.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 28, 2016, 09:56:24 am »

So I saw The Neon Demon last night.  There are definitely words to describe this film... I just don't know what those words are.

I was left somewhat confused after.  The more I think back and the more I read other people's thoughts on it, the more I like it.

I'd suggest it if you like, for example, Lynch, though it's not exactly his style.  There are some similarities, maybe even slight nods. 

I haven't seen the other movies this director has done (Drive, Bronson, etc.), though now I really want to  see them.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 28, 2016, 05:13:19 pm »

I saw the neon demon is theatres twice. I liked it both times, although some of it felt a little self indulgent. There's no denying that Refn makes beautiful movies, but the plot was a little, silly? It's not better than Drive, that's for sure. But it's on the same level as Only God Forgives.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: July 28, 2016, 05:23:49 pm »

I saw the neon demon is theatres twice. I liked it both times, although some of it felt a little self indulgent. There's no denying that Refn makes beautiful movies, but the plot was a little, silly? It's not better than Drive, that's for sure. But it's on the same level as Only God Forgives.

Well, in a sense the plot is silly, sure.  But it is (as I see it) supposed to be more metaphorical/symbolic.  It is representative of something that the filmmaker sees in real life (and I think something that many others would agree is there).  So that's kind of not the point.  The plot of, say, American Psycho is silly, too.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: July 28, 2016, 08:17:32 pm »

Of course it's meant to be metaphorical, but after the second viewing it just seemed a little thin. I did like the movie, but it's just far from perfect.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: July 30, 2016, 10:41:33 pm »

I saw Star Trek Beyond.

It was a movie. It had Spock in it.

I could talk about it if anybody wanted.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: August 04, 2016, 08:21:49 am »

I watched the Gallows yesterday. I somehow got the impression over the past year that this would be an interesting movie, but I don't recall where. It certainly didn’t come from Rotten Tomatoes, which lists it at 16%. In general, I'll avoid movies that fall under 30% unless it's a premise I really want to see.

I found nothing great about the movie. It had a few good things about it, but I do not protest the 16% it received. Thankfully, the movie is only 80 minutes long, so it's really just a super-long Tales from the Crypt episode.

Overall, the story was pretty good. In 1993, an actor in a school play is killed by a set mishap. Twenty years later, the school decides to put on the same play that killed one of their students. This struck me as incredibly bad taste, but a review I read stated that the intent was to honor the memory of the killed student. Either they did a crappy job of conveying that to the audience or I got distracted. Neither of those are glowing reviews. But despite that horrible idea on behalf of the drama department, the show goes on with a jock getting the lead in order to impress a theatre nerd and his jock buddy heckling him all the while in a manner that makes you root for the murderous ghost. The awkward relationship between the jock and the theatre nerd was actually kind of endearing, and I found myself hoping for their success.

The bad taste in presenting the same play that took a student's life was a highly questionable decision. So was requiring jocks to be in the school production. Both of these can easily have an explanation, and I do not know if the film's creators were sloppy in giving that explanation or figured that the audience should be smart enough to piece it together. Another issue I had was knowing that Reese would be in the theatre that night, but this could also be explained away as them planning on killing him during the show and taking advantage of this newfound opportunity. Again, this could benefit from an explanation that may or may not be implied.

While the overall story was kind of neat, the execution needed a lot of work. For one, this is yet another found-footage film. This format is difficult to pull off well, and this movie isn't one of them. It's a little different in that the movie pieces together scenes from multiple cameras where appropriate. It starts off with the douche jock recording everything at school, which I guess teens do nowadays? Certainly, I could see someone filming everything in school. When the kids break into the school that night (to trash the set and save the lead jock's reputation by canceling the play), the use of the camera is really contrived. Sure, I can appreciate that they're using the built-in light to pierce the darkness, but would the camera be recording the entire time? This stretches the found-footage trope, and it just shows that a traditional format would have been more effective.

The twist at the end is kind of neat. It raises questions that the audience should be asking, and those questions are answered with police body cams later that evening(?). But while all your questions are answered in that final scene, it was hideously schlocky.

It was entertaining, but it ran too long—even at 80 minutes—for the story it told. The jump scares were all clichéd. Nothing about this movie was original, but if you are looking for revenge porn against the people who bullied you in high school, this may provide a little thrill. There are much better movies for that, though.
A man has no signature

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #1047 on: August 04, 2016, 12:59:47 pm »

I just rewatched Star Wars. It was amazing, as always.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: August 09, 2016, 05:58:49 pm »

Which one? The most recent one? Because that was trash.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: August 09, 2016, 06:01:26 pm »
+2

Which one? The most recent one? Because that was trash.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.