Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: An attempt to determine what kind of behavior is badmanner and what isn't  (Read 50631 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3229
    • View Profile
+3

Concerning several things that happened to me in online dominion, aswell as some things that I've read in various other threads, I have become curious as to what kind of behavior is considered to be bad manner and what isn't. Since I don't see much use to discuss this in a vaccuum, I will list every case to address it individually, and write what I personally think about each point. This is of course just my opinion not a universal truth; the goal here is to start a discussion.

I have not found a thread similar to this one, only some threads discussing single points, though I don't think a little bit of repetition will hurt anyone.

1. Resigning the game early
I have had long discussions about this topic in other forums about other games in the past. I still think that having a problem with early-resigning can only be the result of a lack of thought and/or consideration. You don't sign in a contract when joining or creating a game, therefore you can't be forced to stay in it any longer then you want. Even from the point of maximizing efficiency it doesn't make sense, since you wont learn as much from a game which is already decided than from a new one. If you lost due to misplay of any kind, you can already take home your lesson at that point, and if it was just bad drawing, there is unlikely to be anything useful you can take home from playing the game to its end.

Obviously, all of this only applies for 2-Player games.

2. Playing engines that take super-long/ending the game quickly by 3-piling.
I've combined these two into one, because my thoughts on both are almost identical: if you hesitate from doing either of those because you consider it bad manner, you are degrading your own game, because you are deliberately ignoring options that the game offers. Both complicated engines and 3piling are simply the right way to play in certain situations. On a personal level, I also can't understand how someone could ever get the idea that 3piling is bm, because it's one of the least luck dependent and therefore most elegant ways to play. Nevertheless, I have heard people complaining about both in the past.

3. Playing extremely slow for no game-specific reason
This is probably the least controversial point on the list. If you drag out the game on purpose just to frustrate your opponent and force him into resigning, you are deliberately stealing time, and that is as bm as it gets. There's not really much more to say about this.

3.5 Semi-Intentionally dragging out the game due to lags
What I mean by this is, if the game freezes every few seconds, but it only happens during your turns. This might be an entierly differnet story for some people, hence the new point, but I think the answer is the same. It doesn't even matter if the lags are your fault are a result of goko failing, the only mannered thing to do in such a situation has to be resigning.

4. Ignoring the chat
By this I mostly mean people who just ignore you when you ask them a simple thing. I used to get really annoyed by this, since I'm not especially talkative or sth, and it's not hard to write a short answer to a simple question. Still though, for all I know the other player might not understand English or have a broken keyboard, so it's really far fetched to assume any sort of bad manner, just because your opponent is not doing something. So while it can be annoying, I don't think it's bm.

balls. you can't chat from ipods, so it can't be bm.

5. Quitting the game without writing gg
This point has a lot of history, depending which background one is coming from. I come from playing a lot of SC2, where it is widely considered to be bm, yet at the same time over half of all games end without anyone writing gg. I've also talked to people who don't understand the possible reasons for "ragequitting", thus considering it to be a liberate display of bad manner every time. This is so because it highly depends how emotional/invested you are about/in the game, be it sc2, chess or dominion. I am very invested, and having been on the receiving end countless times, I can fully understand not being in the mood to congratulate your opponent for winning every time, so I don't have any problem with people who just leave. I also don't always gg myself, it very much depends on which mood I'm in. Either way, I think it's wrong to expect your opponent to be okay with you winning, irrespective of how you played, since you can't know how hard he takes the loss. If you really need it, you can silently think gg to yourself.

6. Writing an "offensive" gg after winning the game
Ok, so, I put this last because it's the point where I'm most likely going to be swimming against the stream, because I absolutely hate it. There is nothing worse than writing gg first after you won a game, I hate it so much that I have to stop myself from writing something rude every time. Why? Because you are congratulating yourself for winning, and even more, you are asking your opponent to agree with you, by writing gg himself. The main problem here is that, other than in RTS, a lot of players aren't even aware that someone might have a problem with it, and might just think it shows good manner either way. It's also hard to claim that they are wrong, because there are no objectively valid arguments, and no-one can be forced to respect what is a kind of weird online consensus. Because of this, I can't claim it's bm, no matter how much I dislike it. What I mostly do is avoid this situation by leaving early (I tend to resign games >90% when I'm losing), or politely ask my opponent not to do it in the future. Also, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who has a problem with this...

7: Complaining about luck (proposal)
Yea, there's that too. People actually do this very frequently. I could take it more seriously if Dominion weren't a game in which you lose at least 30% of your games because of luck. If someone does complain about it, I usually agree with him (If I feel that it was indeed luck), but also tell him that there's no point complaining, because, well, you're playing Dominion. I definitely don't consider it bad manner, and while I for once can't directly relate here, it would still be wrong to make fun of someone in that situation, as it's wrong to rub your win into someone's face.

8: Not having "#vpoff" in the title of your game, but disallowing the vp counter anyway (proposal)
Well, I'm biased here, because I think vp counters are really dumb, but trying to objective, I must admit that you really should put it in the title, mostly because there really isn't any reason not to. Even if just a few people have a problem with it, since you can avoid it so easily, there's no reason to cause a disadvantage for said people. I haven't really thought this through previously, but from now on I'll make sure to put "#vpoff" in the title whenever I host a game.

Oh, and unless you know him, you obv. can't assume bm whenever someone else doesn't do it, because he might simply not know about the extension.

So, that's my thoughts. Whad'd you think? Even a simple bm yes/no statement for every point would be interesting. I can also add some points to the list if I missed something worth talking about.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:57:34 am by silverspawn »

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
+1

I agree with 1, 2, 3, and 6.  I'm not sure about 3.5, and I'm okay with not saying gg.  The reason I'm not agreeing with 4 is that I know you can't chat on some platforms (I think ipad is one of them).

You're not alone on 6, it's just a bit more controversial.  I only say gg when I win if it actually was a good game.  I always say it when I lose, though.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists

i can attest to chat not working on ipad.  as to other platforms i have no idea.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
+1

as to 3.5, i have occasionally just played out your turn in the "normal" way, i.e. generating the maximum payload, even when i could just buy something to win the game.  I agree that this is bad manners, but sometimes you're just in the flow and don't realize it.  Also, if I've built a mega-turn engine, I really want to see that thing go off full blast, so in that case I think it's totally acceptable.  Here, the alternative seems to be to calculating whether you have enough "mega" to win in the middle of your turn, which seems like it would just drag the game out more.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
+6

Either way, I think it's wrong to expect your enemy to be okay with you winning, irrespective of how you played, since you can't know how hard he takes the loss. If you really need it, you can silently think gg to yourself.

Of course I expect my opponent to be okay with me winning. If he can't handle a loss he shouldn't be playing.

Why? Because you are congratulating yourself for winning, and even more, you are asking your enemy to agree with you, by writing gg himself.

First and foremost, my opponent is never my enemy. I have come across opponents who are really unpleasant to play with, but I'll just blacklist them and never give them a second thought. Framing your opponent as an enemy and a game as a fight you have to win might well be the cause of this whole antagonistic under-current in your post.

And by saying "gg" I'm not congratulating myself, I'm just shaking your hand out of politeness.

What I mostly do is avoid this situation by leaving early (I tend to resign games >90% when I'm losing)

I think leaving early without saying anything, provided that you have the ability to chat and are not in some sort of multi-game session where it's understood that you meet again right away, is pretty bad, a bit like suddenly turning around and walking away in the middle of a conversation.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

totally didn't think about ipads. yea, that makes this point pretty much redundant.

as to 3.5, i have occasionally just played out your turn in the "normal" way, i.e. generating the maximum payload, even when i could just buy something to win the game.  I agree that this is bad manners, but sometimes you're just in the flow and don't realize it.

i think you missunderstand. 3.5 meant if you just have lags constantly, so that normal turns take forever. if you can just buy something to win the game but drag it out because it seems fun, i think that's totally ok, because your enemy can just leave. i also do that, i even take time to calculate points sometimes, so that i can buy a number of curses to win with exactly one point advance.

Quote from: SheCantSayNo
First and foremost, my opponent is never my enemy. I have come across opponents who are really unpleasant to play with, but I'll just blacklist them and never give them a second thought. Framing your opponent as an enemy and a game as a fight you have to win might well be the cause of this whole antagonistic under-current in your post.
english isn't my first language, i didn't know there's a difference how the words "opponent" and "enemy" are perceived. which one i used in my opening post is completely arbitrary. so, there is nothing to be interpreted in how i used these words. I'll even edit it... might avoid further confusion
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:31:01 pm by silverspawn »

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
+1

I agree with you on all points except for 6. I just don't get why saying "gg" first after winning can be considered bad manners. Usually, I'll only say it if the game actually was "g", and I intend it as an acknowledgement of my opponent's skill. I'm not congratulating myself on my own win, and I don't necessarily expect my opponent to agree with me. To me, even at it's worst, "gg" is just a meaningless platitude that people toss out there without much thought, like the handshake and gg at the end of a little league game. The only time I could imagine taking issue with a gg is if it was in fact a bg - one lost due to misclicks, or getting railed by the only Mountebank in the Black Market after turn 3.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
+1

Quick question to silverspawn: Imagine the following scenario. You just won a game. You are now with your opponent in the 'Game Over' screen. He doesn't say 'gg' and he doesn't leave either. What should you do?

1) Say gg nonetheless
2) Leave without saying anything

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

Either way, I think it's wrong to expect your enemy to be okay with you winning, irrespective of how you played, since you can't know how hard he takes the loss. If you really need it, you can silently think gg to yourself.

Of course I expect my opponent to be okay with me winning. If he can't handle a loss he shouldn't be playing.

Why? Because you are congratulating yourself for winning, and even more, you are asking your enemy to agree with you, by writing gg himself.

And by saying "gg" I'm not congratulating myself, I'm just shaking your hand out of politeness.

What I mostly do is avoid this situation by leaving early (I tend to resign games >90% when I'm losing)

I think leaving early without saying anything, provided that you have the ability to chat and are not in some sort of multi-game session where it's understood that you meet again right away, is pretty bad, a bit like suddenly turning around and walking away in the middle of a conversation.

I think the problem you are having is that you lack different perspectives. you apparently never lose self-control due to losses - which itself is certainly a good thing -, and you instinctivally expect your opponent to be fine with losing also. However, not everyone will stay as collected as you. I have a history of destroying my headset (which by the way was pretty expensive) twice, and my chair once due to anger after losing sc2 matches. Playing as much as I did has helped a lot to improve my self control, to the point where I am now. But on the way I have learned that you if your opponent is mad after losing, just leave him alone. Expecting anything from him in this moment is short sided, arrogant and very insensitive.

Again - just my opinion, I certainly don't want to get personal.

Quick question to silverspawn: Imagine the following scenario. You just won a game. You are now with your opponent in the 'Game Over' screen. He doesn't say 'gg' and he doesn't leave either. What should you do?

1) Say gg nonetheless

Leave, definitely. I really, really hate offensive gg's, there are few other things which i dislike to a similar degree. I'm most definitely never going to do it myself.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:47:45 pm by silverspawn »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
+2

I think that 6 might or might not be bad manners depending on the situation. When I'm playing against a stranger who quits three games without saying GG and then says GG when he finally manages to connect his Treasure Maps or whatever, it's bad manners, but if it's someone from the forums who's being friendly and polite throughout the games and always says GG first regardless of the outcome of the game, it's pretty obvious that they're not doing it out of douchebagginess. I never say gg first after winning a game myself, though.

1) Say gg nonetheless
Because we are all WanderingWinder anyway, I'll answer this question too: If it's someone from the forums or someone I play frequently, then 3) Say "thanks for the game". Otherwise 2).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: An attempt to determine what kind of behavior is badmanner and what isn't
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 12:56:54 pm »

I agree with you on all points except for 6. I just don't get why saying "gg" first after winning can be considered bad manners. Usually, I'll only say it if the game actually was "g", and I intend it as an acknowledgement of my opponent's skill. I'm not congratulating myself on my own win, and I don't necessarily expect my opponent to agree with me. To me, even at it's worst, "gg" is just a meaningless platitude that people toss out there without much thought, like the handshake and gg at the end of a little league game. The only time I could imagine taking issue with a gg is if it was in fact a bg - one lost due to misclicks, or getting railed by the only Mountebank in the Black Market after turn 3.

it's just a matter of respect. There are, simplified, 2 cases: either your enemy is ok with you winning, or he isn't. He might be mad at you for doing lame tactics (like just playing rebuild), he might be mad at goko/god for having bad draws or he might just be mad at himself for playing bad. And he might also just be angry for no logical reason. Point is, he can chose whether to write gg or not, and in this way express his emotional state. If he does chose to write gg, it's completely fine to agree with him (=writing it yourself.) If he doesn't, however, reading a gg from you is the last thing he wants. Doing it anyway is like saying: "hey, you lost, I won, now get over your stupid problems and shake my hand. I can deal with losses so learn to do it too." And you're doing that to someone who's just trying to deal with his anger at that moment

Or, you know, you might have never thought about it and write it without considering what it can make your opponent feel. But that's one of the reasons I thought opening this thread would be a good idea.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 01:00:58 pm by silverspawn »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 01:24:53 pm »

With 6), you are assuming quite a bit of ill will.  If I say "good game", it means that I found the game enjoyable.  Maybe I'm just less competitive than most, but enjoyment and winning are not at all the same.

In general, I don't find abbreviations like gg particularly polite.  It is like when someone says ty rather than thanks or thank you.  It feels lazy and insincere to me.
Well you *do* need a signature...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 01:32:42 pm »

With 6), you are assuming quite a bit of ill will.

Well... no. I don't. I said several times that people might write gg without any bad intentions whatsoever. Even in my opening post i stated

Quote from: silverspawn
a lot of players aren't even aware that someone might have a problem with it, and might just think it shows good manner either way.

All I'm trying to do is to encourage people to put more consideration into it.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 01:34:39 pm »
+1

4/5/6) I usually don't bother saying gg because I'm too lazy to type in the position I'm normally sitting when playing Dominion online.  I know that sounds crazy but it's true.  If someone starts a conversation about the game I'll usually respond.  If it was a particularly interesting game I might say something at the end.  I don't know/care if this is normal etiquette because I try not to get offended by how people act on the internet these days--I'm sure they have their reasons and/or idiosyncrasies just like me.  I do get annoyed by people cussing me out / complaining about luck in a harsh way / saying I'm cheating.  The third has only happened to me twice.  The second is the most common and is a huge pet peeve of mine.  If I whined every time I had bad luck in a game of Dominion I'd have a terrible reputation.  (JSH SECRETS: I used to whine audibly IRL; really got on my wife's nerves)

EDIT: My main gg related complaint is when people say it before a game is over.  If they resign immediately after, fine.  Otherwise, it brings up the stupid chat window and interrupts my turn.  I would rather people say nothing and be 'impolite' than interrupt my clicking.  #FirstDominionProblems

1) is a no-brainer.  Resigning is fair game and people who think otherwise don't understand the game enough to know that there are some holes you cannot dig out of.  Also, I mean, stuff happens outside of games sometimes.  2) is a silly reason to get upset.  It's an engine-based game and true pros try to 3 pile games anyway.  3/3.5) depends on what you mean; sometimes I will continue fighting in a bad situation because I have a glimmer of hope I don't want to give up on.  However, I get really annoyed by players who are mathematically out of the game/are winning by a lot and won't resign/end things in a reasonable amount of time.  Mainly the latter, btw.  If you don't REALIZE you're in the hole I don't hold it against you.  This is one of the best reasons to play with a point counter on Goko at any rate. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 01:40:48 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 01:39:11 pm »

With 6), you are assuming quite a bit of ill will.

Well... no. I don't. I said several times that people might write gg without any bad intentions whatsoever. Even in my opening post i stated

Where did you say that?  I'm not finding it in the opening post.  What I did find is the following unqualified accusation:
There is nothing worse than writing gg first after you won a game, I hate it so much that I have to stop myself from writing something rude every time. Why? Because you are congratulating yourself for winning, and even more, you are asking your opponent to agree with you, by writing gg himself.

Now, obviously there is some hyperbole here; you do not really mean that this is worse than murder.  But you are stating that the intent of the gg is self congratulations.  That is not my intention when I write "good game".  I am also not asking my opponent to agree to anything.
Well you *do* need a signature...

casuist

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 01:40:00 pm »
+4

There are, simplified, 2 cases: either your enemy is ok with you winning, or he isn't.

For many of us who love games, being "ok with [our opponent] winning" is just a given. I play a lot of games, both online and IRL, and it had never occurred to me that someone over the age of, say, eight, would get so mad about losing that they would become truly upset if I say something as innocuous as "good game" -- which, to me, just means "thanks, I enjoyed playing with you, see you later". Sometimes you say it, sometimes you don't. I don't pay a lot of attention to it, either way. I didn't realize that it had a different meaning or connotation for some people, or that losing one of presumably thousands of online games could generate such rage.

So, I guess your thread has succeeded in opening my eyes, although... I'm not sure the problem is with the folks saying "gg"...

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 01:49:32 pm »
+1

Here's a thought: in cases where I want to play out my last turn fully even though I already have the win in my hand. I think playing out your last turn to its fullest is a good idea for game play.

I'm not the best person in the world at counting, so even if I enter the turn thinking I only need a single Province to win, maybe I need to pick up an extra Duchy or something because I miscounted. What would you say to the idea that it's a good habit to always get as many points as you can on the last turn, regardless of the score? With point counter on this doesn't apply, as well as other weird situations where there's only one Province left and no other way to score VP.

I was streaming this week and one guy I played didn't seem to like the fact that I played all my coin tokens on my last turn even though I didn't need them all. For me, that's just a good habit: "I'm ending the game this turn so I'll spend all my coin tokens;" on Goko, if this saves me from one miscalculation or misclick that would have cost me the game, then it's worth it to do it every time. So while it may come off as excessive, I think there are points to be made that it supports good game play habits. If someone insisted on never using the "Play Treasures" button I would not begrudge them for it, even if it made the game take longer.

If I'm wrong, please tell me how.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 01:54:38 pm »

About 1)
I seem to be the weird one that assumes everyone thinks in a way opposite myself. I'm always happy to see me opponent resign, because that means I don't have to play out my turns anymore and can move on to the next game. Whether I play out my last turn to the fullest or just end my turn prematurely and empty the necessary pile really depends on my mood. However, I pretty much never resign because I assume the other player wants to play out the game to the end.

6) I rarely say gg first when I win, but always say it when I lose. I'll only say gg first if it really was a great game. I also come from playing RTS games, where saying "gg" as opposed to "good game" is commonplace.
When my opponent wins and says gg first, I always assume it's in good will, like when SCSN says it.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 01:58:47 pm »

I say gg when it was, quite literally, a good game whether I won or lost. Sometimes I'm behind and just barely scrape a win, but my opponent played really well. That's a gg. Sometimes I lose, but it was still a gg. It's different if I win 100-5, that's not gg, so I don't say it. Instead I sometimes try to explain what went wrong or something, without being condescending.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 02:00:42 pm »

The reason why "gg" could be perceived as offensive is that one of the parties might not think that the game was "good" (either because he played poorly or had less than fortunate luck). So I don't personally like to "gg."

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 02:07:58 pm »

The reason why "gg" could be perceived as offensive is that one of the parties might not think that the game was "good" (either because he played poorly or had less than fortunate luck). So I don't personally like to "gg."

I understand what the complaint is. But it just seems people are determined to think other people are dicks. Maybe some people are, but just assume the gg is genuine, whether your opponent knows what he's talking about or not. He enjoyed the game, he thought you played well, take it as a compliment. There's no issue. It's all in your head.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 02:09:26 pm »
+4

I am habituated to always say "gg" at the end of every game, win or lose.  I acknowledge that it was a "good game", that is, not marred by disrespectful rude behavior.

Realizing that people, for whatever bizarre reason, take offense to this, I have started to say instead "thanks for the game".  It is totally illogical to me to impute imaginary derogatory motives to someone and then get mad at them for having those same imaginary motives.  But whatever.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 02:11:26 pm »

Here's a thought: in cases where I want to play out my last turn fully even though I already have the win in my hand. I think playing out your last turn to its fullest is a good idea for game play.

I'm not the best person in the world at counting, so even if I enter the turn thinking I only need a single Province to win, maybe I need to pick up an extra Duchy or something because I miscounted. What would you say to the idea that it's a good habit to always get as many points as you can on the last turn, regardless of the score? With point counter on this doesn't apply, as well as other weird situations where there's only one Province left and no other way to score VP.

I was streaming this week and one guy I played didn't seem to like the fact that I played all my coin tokens on my last turn even though I didn't need them all. For me, that's just a good habit: "I'm ending the game this turn so I'll spend all my coin tokens;" on Goko, if this saves me from one miscalculation or misclick that would have cost me the game, then it's worth it to do it every time. So while it may come off as excessive, I think there are points to be made that it supports good game play habits. If someone insisted on never using the "Play Treasures" button I would not begrudge them for it, even if it made the game take longer.

No, that's not what i meant at all. maybe I just did a poor job describing these two points, since they seem to be unclear. To clarify: what I mean with 3.0 is (in its most extreme form): waiting several minutes between every two decisions - as long as possible without being kicked for inactivity -, so that every turn takes 10+ minutes. this is something people will mostly do when they're behind, the goal is usually to drag the game out so long that your opponent eventually becomes too frustrated and resigns just so he doesn't have to waste his time.

if you didn't count and therefore want to make sure that you get as many points as possible, spending half a minute more  on your last turn is completely fine. that's certainly not dragging the game out for no reason, and spending coin tokens is just a matter of seconds anyway.

and what i meant with 3.5 is when the game freezes every few seconds, but it only happens during your turns. while you're not delaying on purpose, and while it may not even be your fault, you're still making the game insanely frustrating for your opponent, who has to wait several minutes during each of your turns, only to do his turn in a few seconds. this particular thing has actually happened to me several times.

I think i'll rephrase those two points in the opening post.

There are, simplified, 2 cases: either your enemy is ok with you winning, or he isn't.

For many of us who love games, being "ok with [our opponent] winning" is just a given. I play a lot of games, both online and IRL, and it had never occurred to me that someone over the age of, say, eight, would get so mad about losing that they would become truly upset if I say something as innocuous as "good game" -- which, to me, just means "thanks, I enjoyed playing with you, see you later". Sometimes you say it, sometimes you don't. I don't pay a lot of attention to it, either way. I didn't realize that it had a different meaning or connotation for some people, or that losing one of presumably thousands of online games could generate such rage.

So, I guess your thread has succeeded in opening my eyes, although... I'm not sure the problem is with the folks saying "gg"...

there are former progamers in sc2 (manely idra) who have lost their careers because they couldn't handle the frustration of losing, even after years of playing and experience. what's no big deal for some people can be one of the biggest barriers in life for others

since it's no big deal for you either way, waiting for your opponent to gg first if you won shouldn't be a problem... right? :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:21:11 pm by silverspawn »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 02:20:47 pm »

No, that's not what i meant at all. maybe I just did a poor job describing these two points, since they seem to be unclear. To clarify: what I mean with 3.0 is (in its most extreme form): waiting several minutes between every two decisions - as long as possible without being kicked for inactivity -, so that every turn takes 10+ minutes. this is something people will mostly do when they're behind, the goal is usually to drag the game out so long that your opponent eventually becomes too frustrated and resigns just so he doesn't have to waste his time.

if you didn't count and therefore want to make sure that you get as many points as possible, spending half a minute more  on your last turn is completely fine. that's certainly not dragging the game out for no reason, and spending coin tokens is just a matter of seconds anyway.

and what i meant with 3.5 is when the game freezes every few seconds, but it only happens during your turns. while you're not delaying on purpose, and while it may not even be your fault, you're still making the game insanely frustrating for your opponent, who has to wait several minutes during each of your turns, only to do his turn in a few seconds. this particular thing has actually happened to me several times.

I think i'll rephrase those two points in the opening post.

Then your point 3.0 is simply called slow playing (Or something close to that). It's known to be rude, and I never play someone twice who does that. 3.5 is something I understand, and while it's advisable to not play when crazy lag occurs, it's not rude in the same way and I don't think you should suggest to people to stop enjoying their game because of something out of their control.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 02:35:16 pm »

Quote from: SirPeebles
Where did you say that?  I'm not finding it in the opening post.
I copy/pasted this out of the opening post... you'll find it. CRTL + F should do the job.

Quote from: SirPeebles
   What I did find is the following unqualified accusation:
There is nothing worse than writing gg first after you won a game, I hate it so much that I have to stop myself from writing something rude every time. Why? Because you are congratulating yourself for winning, and even more, you are asking your opponent to agree with you, by writing gg himself.
Now, obviously there is some hyperbole here; you do not really mean that this is worse than murder.  But you are stating that the intent of the gg is self congratulations.  That is not my intention when I write "good game".  I am also not asking my opponent to agree to anything.

now you are making things more complicated than they have to be. Yes, it was hyperbolic, no, I'm not stating that the intent of gg has to be self congratulations. I was describing how it comes across to people who have a simliar background than I have, only to pull back immediately afterwards and clarify that this doesn't have to be the intention within the subsequent sentence. And I chose to structure my post in this way to underline the fact that I dislike it a lot

Quote from: jsh357
The second is the most common and is a huge pet peeve of mine.  If I whined every time I had bad luck in a game of Dominion I'd have a terrible reputation..
That's my usual answer when people start complaining about luck. That's just so stupid, if you play dominion, you constantly lose because of bad luck. Arguably in over 1/3 of your games. Complaining about bad draws is just so 100% pointless.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:43:25 pm by silverspawn »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 21 queries.