Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 62  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXIX: Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Dinner Party (Game Over! Universe Wins!)  (Read 143118 times)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXIX: Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Dinner Party (Day 1!)
« Reply #375 on: August 10, 2013, 02:05:08 am »

You know what, we're doing the 3-PR claim thing.  I'm deciding this unilaterally.  Others can join me or leave me out to dry, I don't care anymore, and hey, maybe it will save town some valuable time.

I am one of your power roles.

Which also means I'm the night-kill tonight.  Let's hope both of them go for me, so we can have more alive on Day 2.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 10, 2013, 02:07:33 am »

It's a social deduction game.  People are going to find you scummy sometimes.  We mislynch town much more than we lynch scum.  It's just part of the game.

Unvote, given the claim.

I don't like the claim, but it is what it is.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 10, 2013, 02:10:10 am »

AT least it will save us 3 days of scumhunting me for nonsense and me arguing about it and having my blood pressure go through the roof whenever someone piles on to a stupid point.

I wanted to take it back as soon as I hit post, but insomnia, alcohol, anger, and no-editing-allowed being what they are, I guess it stays.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 10, 2013, 02:12:18 am »

I admit, I'm kind of on tilt right now, to use poker terminology.  I get that it's a social deduction game, but for some reason the way people have been interacting with me and often not interacting with me has had me very frustrated.  I felt this way for a little bit at the start of CLUE.

For what it's worth, I'm sorry for spoiling your game.

Although I do think the claim plan has merit.  And hey, maybe I'll protect the other PRs.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 10, 2013, 02:17:27 am »

It's more that I feel like no matter what I do, it isn't that I had some phrasing or some particular action that someone finds scummy, yeah whatever vote me, it's that I seem to be criticized a lot for my style of play itself, while everyone else is allowed to play however.

It's not sheeping when Robz does it.
Mail-mi is always scummy.
Jimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm just likes to lurk.

But I seem to be scumhunted a lot based on my playstyle and method of speaking, rather than individual actions.  And I keep trying to change that up to be more pro-town and more helpful and easier to read and I put a lot of effort into this and tonight I'm in a foul mood and I'm tired and I'm unhappy and I'm just done with giving a shit about what you guys think of my playstyle.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 10, 2013, 02:21:15 am »

Jimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

is online right now.

Hi Jimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 10, 2013, 02:24:20 am »

Sorry, man.  I don't know what to say other than the fact that I have enjoyed playing with you in every game we've played together so far, and am glad you're here.  People finding you scummy really isn't personal, and I get that getting votes can be frustrating sometimes, I know, but it has nothing to do with a dislike of your playstyle.  We are just playing the game!

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 10, 2013, 02:25:47 am »

Sorry, man.  I don't know what to say other than the fact that I have enjoyed playing with you in every game we've played together so far, and am glad you're here.  People finding you scummy really isn't personal, and I get that getting votes can be frustrating sometimes, I know, but it has nothing to do with a dislike of your playstyle.  We are just playing the game!

No, I'm sorry.  I don't mean to get all dramatic about it.  I like you guys too.  Just ugh.  This has not been a good day in RealLife™ and I kind of snapped there.

On the plus side, I figured out that the forum software will make horizontal scrollbars!

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 10, 2013, 02:26:40 am »

Straw that breaks the camel in half kind of thing.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 10, 2013, 09:13:26 am »

Catching up from my last post now.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 10, 2013, 09:59:04 am »

So now we need to figure out if UoS had a minor kickball incident (as town) or manufactured one (as scum).

If he's SK, it's a really risky move, as it's basically inviting the mafia's nightkill.  If he's mafia, it's a less risky move, but still pretty gutsy - SK <i>might</i> not target him even if the SK thinks he's telling the truth, assuming the mafia is going to target him instead.

Without benefit of a full thread reread, I think UoS is most likely town at this point.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 10, 2013, 10:07:50 am »

Anyway it got me thinking, I don't find Nkirbit scummy for that because I think Yuma, Ash, and I basically drew him into it, but I think what Voltgloss (see, I typed his full name, not that hard) was looking at is interesting: Scum have daychat, so how can we look for this impacting the thread.  I'm going to reread with that in mind, tomorrow or the next day or something, but what should I be looking for?

Voltyvoltyvoltglass?  Yuma?  Others?

vote: nkirbit for the scummiest reaction to ash's plan.  "Eh I won't be talking about this" followed by "here's me talking about this" smells a bit to me of his partner in daychat going "dude it will look suspicious if you totally refuse to engage with town in their main topic of discussion."

Blitz players will have the most experience addressing this question.  To my eye though, I would expect (1) daychat to have a mild reduction in the frequency with whcih mafia post in thread - both because their time needs to be split between two threads, and because they may be waiting for their compatriot to respond to questions in their daychat before posting on a topic; and (2) more instances of mafia players changing their minds in thread, as a result of their being able to adapt plans on the fly.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 10, 2013, 10:12:23 am »

Dang, UoS, you seem to get a town PR every single game! (if you're town this time too). First glance, I believe him, but disagree with him claiming, unless he is the vig. btw, vig should shoot someone every night, I think.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 10, 2013, 10:23:00 am »

Anyway it got me thinking, I don't find Nkirbit scummy for that because I think Yuma, Ash, and I basically drew him into it, but I think what Voltgloss (see, I typed his full name, not that hard) was looking at is interesting:

can you tell me what the "it" is in the sentence "drew him into it" and the "that" in "scummy for that"?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 10, 2013, 10:25:49 am »

You know what, we're doing the 3-PR claim thing.  I'm deciding this unilaterally.  Others can join me or leave me out to dry, I don't care anymore, and hey, maybe it will save town some valuable time.

I am one of your power roles.

and the winner for the over-reaction prize goes to: UoS. And what will his prize be?

An annoyed emotoicon from me  ??? !!! Yay!

Seriously though. Next time. Let's make this decision when you are not drunk. Emphasis on the "let's" as in let us, emphasis on the "us"

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: August 10, 2013, 10:30:18 am »

It's more that I feel like no matter what I do, it isn't that I had some phrasing or some particular action that someone finds scummy, yeah whatever vote me, it's that I seem to be criticized a lot for my style of play itself, while everyone else is allowed to play however.

But I seem to be scumhunted a lot based on my playstyle and method of speaking, rather than individual actions.  And I keep trying to change that up to be more pro-town and more helpful and easier to read and I put a lot of effort into this and tonight I'm in a foul mood and I'm tired and I'm unhappy and I'm just done with giving a shit about what you guys think of my playstyle.

For someone who has yet to be mislynched this is sure a lot of unnecessary whining. So you get some votes. Big whooping deal. It means you are playing well. That is how I take votes when I am town. It means either I am getting town thinking about ideas (which some people are going to disagree with and find scummy, but hopefully more people find townie and agree with) or that mafia thinks I am dangerous and might try to mislynch me.

So, hey... you are playing well. You get votes, but aren't getting mislynched. The first doesn't matter, the second does. So good job, not on the claim (which I think was unnecessary, but on playing a game that moves  it forward w/o getting mislynched)

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 10, 2013, 11:31:46 am »

Mod:  What time is our lynch deadline on August 17th?

All:  Lynch deadline is in one week, on Saturday.  The chance of having everyone available on a weekend to participate at lynch deadline is slim.  I therefore posit that:

1) our hard deadline is, for all intents and purposes, next Friday (less than a week from now); and
2) our soft deadline should be no later than Wednesday.

In pursuit of meeting these goals, I ask everyone, by the end of their next two posts, to group all other players (besides yourself) into "Will Not Lynch On Day 1," "Could Lynch On Day 1," and "Prefer To Lynch On Day 1" categories.  Each category should have at least 3 players.  Right now, our votes are quite literally scattered across the entire roster of players, which does not fill me with confidence that we're on a good path to settling on a lynch within a week.

I'll be doing this myself in my next post, after completing a reread of events to date.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 10, 2013, 01:28:03 pm »

Voltgloss, I will make my list when I'm not on mobile, but ill put whoever I want into each group based on how I feel about them. If there isn't three in each category, I really don't have an interest in satisfying your arbitrary requirement

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 10, 2013, 01:57:24 pm »

Mod:  What time is our lynch deadline on August 17th?

9:00 PM Forum Time.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 10, 2013, 03:57:41 pm »

In pursuit of meeting these goals, I ask everyone, by the end of their next two posts, to group all other players (besides yourself) into "Will Not Lynch On Day 1," "Could Lynch On Day 1," and "Prefer To Lynch On Day 1" categories.  Each category should have at least 3 players.  Right now, our votes are quite literally scattered across the entire roster of players, which does not fill me with confidence that we're on a good path to settling on a lynch within a week.

I will get back to you once I take a look at UoS's accusation that Jorbles's case was manufactured. But hey, I'll give reads right now even before that and then I can give them after I do that reread and probably the rest of hte thread depending on how my time goes.

Won't lynch: yuma, UoS, voltgloss, Robz, shraeye (a lot of these are because there has to this point been no suspicion of these players up to this point, or that they are players that I can read significantly better on later days compared to day1.

Could lynch: mail-mi, Jorbles, Eevee, nkirbit, liopoil (honestly these are all pretty null reads, I don't know if I have any super town reads, even in the list above so to say that before my reread I would unwilling to lynch any of the above players if a compelling case were put up against them just isn't true. I could... but more that I don't think a compelling case is likely to be built up against them for various reasons)

Want to lynch: ash, voltaire (my two scum reads at this point in the game.)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 10, 2013, 03:59:59 pm »

Weekends shmeekends. Get on guys!

As per VG's request, my list

PREFER:
Aire
Fuzzy for lurking (that's not normal)
shraeye

COULD:
Jimmm for lurking (but that's normal)
liopoil
nkirbit
Robz
asher

PROBABLY WON'T UNLESS I REALLY HAVE TO:
Gloss
yuma
Jorbles

WON'T:
UoS (I am treating him like an IC for the rest of the day)
mail-mi

I think that's everyone.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 10, 2013, 04:00:54 pm »

post count for reference:

1. Jorbles - 24
2. Voltaire - 37
3. Eevee - 6
4. Voltgloss - 21
5. Robz888 - 5
6. UmbrageOfSnow - 76
7. nkirbit - 24
8. yuma - 49
9. ashersky - 41
10. shraeye - 23
11. mail-mi - 35
12. liopoil - 8

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 10, 2013, 04:01:24 pm »

good luck lynching someone that isn't in the game...

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 10, 2013, 04:03:15 pm »

good luck lynching someone that isn't in the game...
Oh my gosh UoS talking about Jimmmmmmmmmm made me think he was in the game!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 10, 2013, 05:51:26 pm »

So UoS has alleged that Jorbles "manufactured a case against him:

It isn't the vote that raises my eyebrows, or the fact that he posted a case about it.  It's that his case almost entirely hinges on an opinion he "baited" me into.

I put bait in quotes because I had the opinion and very well might have stated it, but he's finding me scummy essentially for responding to his request for clarification, and it seems like his case is based on ignoring that and pretending like I kept posting about Ash because I wanted to steer the conversation that way, which is not true.

It's not that I think his case is bad, it's that I think it was manufactured.

This is the case:

To build on why I find UoS scummy are these two things, which I admit I am sheeping shraeye on, but it's only because I'd already had the same line of thought:
1. Suggesting ash's suggestion of a random vote was more serious than it was to see if it would stick.
2. His fishy post where he can't seem to decide if ash is townie or scummy, but he really seems to want someone to tell him they find ash scummy so he can agree and more comfortably vote for ash.

This is the sort of play I would expect from someone who A) hasn't played scum before, B) likes to be involved in the conversation, and C) thinks that the best way to play scum is to subtly guide the conversation. Anyhow these are still early reads, but I'm going to park my vote on him for a bit and see what happens.

Vote: UmbrageOfSnow

Here the quotes that Jorbles talks about and my opinion of them beneath it:

1-
How about a random D1 lynch?

What does that possibly gain us?  Why not at least try to make a good choice.

followed by:
This exchange is what I was refering to.

How about a random D1 lynch?

What does that possibly gain us?  Why not at least try to make a good choice.

I have zero information to go on.  At least a flip with info would help that.  I've seen good responses to my claiming idea, both for and against.  I've seen little scummy behavior from anyone, at all.  Mail-mi's bad joke about his PM is all there is to go on.

Lurkers?  We could lynch a lurker I suppose.

I find that odd.  And like whoever it was (nkirbit? Voltaire?) when I say odd, I mean odd here, not necessarily scummy.

I think it's pretty clearly a bad idea, but I don't think it gains Ash anything if he's scum anyway.  I don't really know what to think of this.  Thoughts?

in response to Jorbles asking:
I don't remember him pushing for a random lynch. Do you want to build on that UoS?

I know that both shraeye and I were like, "why mention it if you only think it was odd and not necessarily scummy because--well at least I did--missed that it was in response to a question by Jorbles.

So UoS initially reacted to the point from ash about no lynch in a non-scum hunting way. He responded to it basically the same way that I did... as in, its a bad idea, let's not do it. I don't think he ever tries to paint ash as being scummy for suggesting it. (compare to me who thinks that perhaps ash used this, as well as other techniques and behaviors in an attempt to create his "normal persona.")

Add to this that it is only when he is asked about it again, by Jorbles, that he even considers the idea of it being scummy and ultimately gives his opinion that he thinks it is a bad idea (might be scummy, might not be) and then asks for other people's opinions.

2-
I think nkirbit's getting at the way Ash was pushing it and pushing for it to happen NOW (as with the claiming Amy Pond), rather than the proposal of the plan itself.  I could see that being scummy, in isolation, but I could also see it being Ash excited about a plan.

What do you old timers think?

I responded to this post when UoS asked it and to me it looks like he is legitimately asking a question because in honesty it can go either way. I mention this in my case on ash... that this point, him claiming and pushing his plan in isolation could be scummy, but it could also just be ash.

It is also interesting to note the build up that Jorbles had in coming to a read/vote on UoS. First he first asks:
Here's something for people who've played more recently with them, have the players newer to me (nkirbit, UoS, Voltaire) played as scum before?
Followed by:
Here's something for people who've played more recently with them, have the players newer to me (nkirbit, UoS, Voltaire) played as scum before?
Followed by this:
mail-mi and Jorbles:  Top 3 scumreads from you, please.  Go.

Ooo, I already have a spreadsheet for this. I didn't want to give stuff away until I'd observed a little bit more as they're not that concrete yet.
1. UmbrageOfSnow: I completely agree with shraeye that he's been putting things out there as being suspicious hoping someone else will find it suspicious. I think this is the sort of kindof guiding the conversation that a first time scum player would do (which is why I was asking if he'd played scum before).
(which I had forgotten was in response to Voltgloss, so this doesn't appear quite as staged as it did before when I thought this was just a reads list that was posted kinda at random)

and then his vote post:
To build on why I find UoS scummy are these two things, which I admit I am sheeping shraeye on, but it's only because I'd already had the same line of thought:

Vote: UmbrageOfSnow

so I can see where UoS is coming from in believing this case to be manufactured. I don't really agree with either of the two points that Jorbles makes on UoS. Both are weak--and I don't even mean weak for day1, I just mean all around weak points that to me aren't really indicators of alignment at all.

His build up in coming to a UoS vote was also somewhat scummy. Scum often doesn't want to just have a random read pop up, because then when people go back to reread them they will be suspicious and be like, "what!?! where did that read come from? Suspicious?" They want to avoid that, so to get around it I have often seen scum kinda breadcrumb their potential reads and slowly build them up along the way. Town sometimes does this as well, but it is a more natural progression I think. And before I realized Jorbles reads list was in response to Volt I felt pretty sure that this was on the scummy side... now I am a little less sure that I have all the info.

anyway... long post. I think I would move Jorbles to my want to lynch area, but not to the point that I am willing to unvote ash at this juncture.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 62  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.