Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 80  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXV: Mean Girls (Fourth Quarter)  (Read 202651 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXV: Mean Girls (First Day of School! First Day of School!)
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2013, 01:52:27 am »

I didn't even realize the scum were picking their partners. Fascinating.

Well, I'm not surprised I wasn't picked. Everyone always assumes I'm scum--who would want me on their team?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2013, 01:53:31 am »

Scum picked the least obvious person. Who is the least obvious person?

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2013, 02:40:24 am »

raerae, gurrrrrrrrl, your mod-color is too trippy.  Let me show you how a vote-count happens.

Vote Count 1.1
liopoil (1): ashersky
mail-mi (3): spiritbears, AHoppy, sudgy,
Eevee (2): nkirbit, mail-mi

Not voting: Eevee, liopoil, mcmcsalot, modestguineapig, Robz888, yuma
With 12 players alive, it takes 7 to lynch

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2013, 03:06:25 am »

Newbie, right?  So nkirbit or AHoppy.  Maybe mgp?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2013, 03:32:20 am »

Newbie, right?  So nkirbit or AHoppy.  Maybe mgp?

But isn't a newbie a little TOO unobvious? I was thinking sudy, liopoil, mail-mi.

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2013, 05:47:03 am »

I think that would be you. After all no one would expect the obiousr choice right?
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2013, 07:02:05 am »

Vote:RVS. I had this revalation the other day: it doesn't actually do anything for town! Nobody end up looking at RVS votes for something to analyze early, they look to other posts, generally theory posts. so let's theory talk, like some of us have been! Personally, I had thought there was a fair chance I would be chosen too, but I wasn't. However, the vets I think are still likely to be recruited. I think I would have chosen Eevee. Yuma and robz aren't out of the question either: the scum can always say, oh wifom, you can't figure anything out. of the newer players, I don't think nkirbit would be chosen because nobody has seen him play. MGP and TA, on the other hand... so really, most anyone is a valid choice. Also, I'm assuming that one scum was picked randomly to start. Worth noting: flavour name claims are strictly prohibited in the OP. so, let's not do that.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2013, 07:12:45 am »

Good point about the flavor name claims, I hadn't realized that.

I've wished we get a game where scum gets to pick their partners for a long time, seems interesting. I think it's quintenssential wifom, everyone would most like to have yuma or Robz in their team but they are also the most obvious choices. I don't think scum would go for the total newbie, as no one has seen him play andthe risk of him being atrocious and totally destroying their team seems unnecessary. Mod question: Is there one "grand mafioso" who chooses the team, or how was that done? Do even even know how many mafia there are?

The middling choices I think are most likely "lets not go too obvious either way", so people like liopoil, ashersky, TwistedArcher, myself. But meh, it's so person dependentant, and the temptation of picking Robz or yuma must be pretty big.

Also yay for someone agreeing with me about RVS. This kind of theory talk also seems very unlikely to hurt town, the best case scenario is that mafia slips somehow / we lynch mafia and get to back to see what he thought picking partners.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2013, 07:31:18 am »

I heavily suspect there's 3 mafia, based on raerae saying previously that she really wanted to run a three-person-scumteam game, and the plural in partnerS. 4 is way too many. as it is 3 in 12 is a fair bit, so I gotta hope we have a bunch of PRs.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2013, 07:54:13 am »

I've wished we get a game where scum gets to pick their partners for a long time, seems interesting. I think it's quintenssential wifom, everyone would most like to have yuma or Robz in their team but they are also the most obvious choices. I don't think scum would go for the total newbie, as no one has seen him play andthe risk of him being atrocious and totally destroying their team seems unnecessary. Mod question: Is there one "grand mafioso" who chooses the team, or how was that done? Do even even know how many mafia there are?

The middling choices I think are most likely "lets not go too obvious either way", so people like liopoil, ashersky, TwistedArcher, myself. But meh, it's so person dependentant, and the temptation of picking Robz or yuma must be pretty big.

Also yay for someone agreeing with me about RVS. This kind of theory talk also seems very unlikely to hurt town, the best case scenario is that mafia slips somehow / we lynch mafia and get to back to see what he thought picking partners.

Why am I middling?  Why are you?  Granted, I'm a terrible choice for scum partner, given my penchant for somehow being seen as super scummy, but I thought I had a fair chance at being picked.

I definitely would have gone with vet over newbie, I think.  Even with a night to plan and get to know someone in a QT, a partner you already know is going to be better, I think.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2013, 07:56:50 am »

3 mafia out of 12 seems fitting, yes. Still somewhat relevant if they did it popcorn-style or if one guy picked both partners, as if there was only one guy picking, I'd expect him often to pick people from different "categories".

mcmc is sort of an under the radar scum mastermind too, he is a very potential recruit I would think (not too obvious but is known to pull strong performances).

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2013, 07:57:42 am »

3 mafia out of 12 seems fitting, yes. Still somewhat relevant if they did it popcorn-style or if one guy picked both partners, as if there was only one guy picking, I'd expect him often to pick people from different "categories".

mcmc is sort of an under the radar scum mastermind too, he is a very potential recruit I would think (not too obvious but is known to pull strong performances).

Ooh, mcmc, good call.  He's definitely on the radar.  With a three-man team, you go vet + newbie, right?  Spread out the wifom.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2013, 07:59:10 am »

Why am I middling?  Why are you?  Granted, I'm a terrible choice for scum partner, given my penchant for somehow being seen as super scummy, but I thought I had a fair chance at being picked.

I definitely would have gone with vet over newbie, I think.  Even with a night to plan and get to know someone in a QT, a partner you already know is going to be better, I think.
I mean no offense to anyone here (or in any of these analysis posts), but I think we are middling because we are very experienced and won't (usually) screw up majorly, but we aren't the best either. "Safe choice", not a big risk like someone newer you don't know anything about, but not like yuma or Robz who probably run Cosa Nostra for a living or something. In the middle of the wifom-spectrum.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2013, 08:00:16 am »

Ooh, mcmc, good call.  He's definitely on the radar.  With a three-man team, you go vet + newbie, right?  Spread out the wifom.
I agree. Well, I think there are three categories. "The most obvious" "middles" "the newer unknown players". If one guy did the picking, I'd expect him to pick from two different categories.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2013, 08:00:54 am »

Again I really don't mean that the newer players are worse at this game. Just a riskier choice as they haven't proven themselves yet, if that makes sense.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2013, 08:17:00 am »

How about we all say who we think everyone would choose to be their partner?

For once I actually think this is something that would benefit town and has no benefit to scum so I will participate.

I would have picked ashersky so that we could bicker and fight like an old couple all game long like usual and everyone would just chalk it up to me and ashersky fighting like usual.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2013, 08:20:34 am »

Why just one name yuma? Three mafia, wouldn't there be two to pick?

I think I would have chosen mcmc+MGP or something like that, afraid of going to the extremes on either end but still wanting some experience in my team. But dunno, probably very random and dependant on the mood at the moment. Like, I doubt I would actually have thought about it much on the spot.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2013, 08:22:34 am »

because ashersky said "their partner" not "their partners"

If I picked another it would probably be you, eevee, or mcmc or lio.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2013, 08:25:01 am »

The fact that a lot of people seem to agree the veterans that aren't the most obvious choices are the most likely choices means that myself, liopoil, mcmc and ashersky (give or take depending how you view different players obviously) are the ones in the spotlight early on, correct?

I really heavily doubt nkirbit is mafia, unless he was the one doing the choosing.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2013, 08:32:18 am »

But dunno, probably very random and dependant on the mood at the moment. Like, I doubt I would actually have thought about it much on the spot.

Ha, I probably would have completely over thought it and stressed about it until I drove my wife crazy.

Either that or use a random number generator to pick for me....

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2013, 08:35:57 am »

Can we be sure of scum numbers?  3-4/13 is standard (see my C9++ games), so maybe high for 12.  Definitely 2 or 3.  If someone could enlighten us, that'd be great.

I would have chosen Eevee, I think.  A reunion from MAII.  For a third, I think someone no one would associate with me, but that I know well from modding, like mail-mi or Lio.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2013, 08:36:43 am »

How did you not realize this? What did you think those three PMs were all about then? You know the ones that you had to keep confirming?

Does anyone else find this post odd? Especially after this post:

So, this game is at first glance rather daunting. We have no idea what PRs are in effect.

Where it is apparent that Robz had read through the game setup because he knows we don't know what PRs are in the game.

vote: Robz

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2013, 08:37:12 am »

How about we all say who we think everyone would choose to be their partner?

For once I actually think this is something that would benefit town and has no benefit to scum so I will participate.

I would have picked ashersky so that we could bicker and fight like an old couple all game long like usual and everyone would just chalk it up to me and ashersky fighting like usual.

Also, Yuma buddying like he's Eevee.  Scum tell!

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2013, 08:37:57 am »

Can we be sure of scum numbers?  3-4/13 is standard (see my C9++ games), so maybe high for 12.  Definitely 2 or 3.  If someone could enlighten us, that'd be great.

I would have chosen Eevee, I think.  A reunion from MAII.  For a third, I think someone no one would associate with me, but that I know well from modding, like mail-mi or Lio.

Game set-up (mostly) closed.  This is a twelve player game and mafia will be allowed to pick their partners.  There will be three rounds of PMs pre-game and each player will receive one PM per round.  Once again, anybody who hints at or claims their flavor name, will be mod-expelled.

Well pick their "partners" and the three rounds of PMs seems to indicate 3 scum.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2013, 08:39:14 am »

How did you not realize this? What did you think those three PMs were all about then? You know the ones that you had to keep confirming?

Does anyone else find this post odd? Especially after this post:

So, this game is at first glance rather daunting. We have no idea what PRs are in effect.

Where it is apparent that Robz had read through the game setup because he knows we don't know what PRs are in the game.

vote: Robz

Huh, didn't notice that.  He had clearly read the set-up info, which is like three sentences, one of which is about picking partners.  The not realizing thing could be classic "try not to seem like you know too much by acting like you don't even know the setup" thing.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 80  All

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 16 queries.