Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 80  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXV: Mean Girls (Fourth Quarter)  (Read 204814 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXV: Mean Girls (First Day of School! First Day of School!)
« Reply #200 on: May 13, 2013, 08:40:41 pm »

Digging way back in the mafia game index:

That's sort of what I was shooting for with my Mean Girls game but I really wanted a three person scum team and that math doesn't work out so well.
I wanted to have an 11 player game but also wanted one three person scum team (bet you can't guess who that'll be flavor-wise!) so shraeye advised me that 12 players would be better with that many scum.  As far as mafia picking their team, I'll send a PM to all players, 10 of them will be the same but the 11th will identify the first scum.  Everybody will be instructed to confirm receipt but the scum will also have to identify their partner.  Once all PMs are received, the 2nd round will go out much the same as the first, then one more round of PMs will go out containing final instructions.

Most of the town players will be VT, mafia will all be goons, but that's all I'm saying.
I knew I remembered something! valuable info this is!! granted this is from a while ago so it may have changed.

Nice!  So reading this, it's A pick B, B pick C?  It's not 100% clear to me.

That explanation deals with an 11 player game.  It also says one of the 11 picks their "partner," not partners.  So 2 scum in 11?  Or does the second round going out much like the first mean that round 2 is picking another partner?

I don't know.  The mods have wifomed us now.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 13, 2013, 08:45:46 pm »

As far as mafia picking their team, I'll send a PM to all players, 10 of them will be the same but the 11th will identify the first scum.
uh-oh, I think we can break the game by paraphrasing the flavour in our second PM. (or at least make one IC). This is kinda similar to the station-aligned thing in DS9. I think this should be addressed, and nobody should paraphrase any flavour....

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 13, 2013, 08:48:18 pm »

So what does everyone think about Lio's idea to no-lynch Day1?  If we can't do any better than a guess, I suppose I wouldn't be opposed to it.  My only worry is that if we decide to no-lynch too early, it might lead to a loss in meaningful discussion that would be harmful because it would lessen the chance that scum could slip up.  I'm just not sure of it, I suppose.

What do you all think?

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 13, 2013, 08:49:00 pm »

Errr there was a double negative in that post.  Never mind what I just said.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 13, 2013, 08:50:19 pm »

So what does everyone think about Lio's idea to no-lynch Day1?  If we can't do any better than a guess, I suppose I wouldn't be opposed to it.  My only worry is that if we decide to no-lynch too early, it might lead to a loss in meaningful discussion that would be harmful because it would lessen the chance that scum could slip up.  I'm just not sure of it, I suppose.

What do you all think?
It wasn't really my idea... It was something I thought worth noting, but like I explained I am very much opposed to it.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 13, 2013, 08:51:24 pm »

Where does self-voting ashersky fit?  I take offense at you not agreeing that I was super towny in Bankers Beware.  I called the scum team...eventually.  You know, when you (well, not Eevee) mislynched me.  Had we lynched raerae as I proposed, she never would have gotten the double VK and we would have won (I believe).

ash this is all true, to a point. If we had followed you, we would have won. But you didn't present yourself in a pro-town way... the self-voting, the tunneling on me and ozle, the fight you picked with me at the end of day 4 when arch was getting lynched... all of that was not pro-town and it overshadowed your pro-town contributions.

But that said, I think you are right in that you are often seen as scummy. Less so of late perhaps. But that is never an excuse for scummy behavior--which you noted before.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 13, 2013, 08:54:21 pm »

@ ash: I added in a later post mcmc and lio to my list if you care to add them. If I had to pick between lio and mcmc I think I would pick lio.

And I think everyone needs to participate in this. Failure to participate will be seen as highly scummy behavior. And by participate I mean at least acknowledge it. Even an "I have no idea" post like nkirbit suffices
I don't appreciate being told what to do and I'm not sūre is at all worthwhile activity for anyone other than the long time players

Its extremely pro town for everyone to answer. Because if you flip scum I want to know who you wanted to pick(or lied about wanting to pick) as your scum partner. Making people name who they want to be partners with makes scum go on record talking about scum, this is always pro town. If you don't want to answer that is completely fine but I am going to assume it is because you are scum and can't think of a safe way to answer the question.
Whatever. I'm not going to be bullied into something I don't believe in just because "it's the town thing to do"
I don't have enough information on at least half the players here to make it worthwhile.  Like I said.  Fine for vets, not so helpful for the rest of us

vote: spiritbears it is 100% completely and totaly pro town regardless of how much information you have. I absolutely cannot hurt town for you to say your opinion on it, your refusal to do so is scummy.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 13, 2013, 08:54:37 pm »

from a dead person with a scum result on you's perspective, ashersky, you were scummy :P

meh, I'm assuming a lot of stuff again with my quotes from the game index and stuff. I tend to assume to much in mafia games I've found. Maybe I ought to stop trying to figure out the setup and start trying to figure out who the plastics are.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 13, 2013, 08:54:58 pm »

I think this should be addressed, and nobody should paraphrase any flavour....
play mafia, don't break mafia.  Now it's been addressed.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 13, 2013, 08:55:36 pm »

@ ash: I added in a later post mcmc and lio to my list if you care to add them. If I had to pick between lio and mcmc I think I would pick lio.

And I think everyone needs to participate in this. Failure to participate will be seen as highly scummy behavior. And by participate I mean at least acknowledge it. Even an "I have no idea" post like nkirbit suffices
I don't appreciate being told what to do and I'm not sūre is at all worthwhile activity for anyone other than the long time players

I'll take your response to be a "no idea" response and remember it for later.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 13, 2013, 08:55:46 pm »

I think this should be addressed, and nobody should paraphrase any flavour....
play mafia, don't break mafia.  Now it's been addressed.
Okay :D

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 13, 2013, 08:58:04 pm »

"So the formula is A2 + B2 = C2, right, Ms. Norbury?"

"April, you know this is a test, right?  I can't answer that question."

Vote Count 1.2

mail-mi (1): AHoppy
Eevee (1): nkirbit
Robz (3): yuma, sudgy, modestguineapig
Ashersky (3): spiritbears, mail-mi, Eevee
spiritbears (2): ashersky, mcmcsalot

Not voting: liopoil, Robz888
With 12 players alive, it takes 7 to lynch
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:00:07 pm by raerae »

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 13, 2013, 08:58:35 pm »

I disagree.  It's meaningless now to me, for sure, but when players start to get lynched and killed, this could be useful information to look back on.  On the otherhand, it could be worthless, but it's so easy to do, so why not?

This.  The reason I suggested we do it is not to figure anything out right now, but to be able to look at the lists when we have more information (hopefully dead scum).  It's for looking back at, not finding scum on the list.

Although, if we were going to choose someone at random, the person who's name shows up the most is probably better than true random.  But, really, no random.  (Although the one time we random lynched on D1, one scum picked his partner as the random lynch and it went through.)

well honeslty I was hoping we could keep this idea on the downlow. I was going to post somethign to that effect a while ago, but realized that the main effect would be best if others didn't realize what the ultimate purpose was.... But maybe everyone already realized what the ultimate purpose was, but now it has been said...  and I agree, the info isn't great for day1, but in later days, much more useful... ala Arch in bankers putting raerae (his partner) and Jimmm (not his partner) as his fake investigations.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 13, 2013, 09:00:03 pm »

Its extremely pro town for everyone to answer. Because if you flip scum I want to know who you wanted to pick(or lied about wanting to pick) as your scum partner. Making people name who they want to be partners with makes scum go on record talking about scum, this is always pro town. If you don't want to answer that is completely fine but I am going to assume it is because you are scum and can't think of a safe way to answer the question.
Whatever. I'm not going to be bullied into something I don't believe in just because "it's the town thing to do"
I don't have enough information on at least half the players here to make it worthwhile.  Like I said.  Fine for vets, not so helpful for the rest of us

yay... now I am a bully again?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 13, 2013, 09:05:18 pm »

So what does everyone think about Lio's idea to no-lynch Day1? 

What do you all think?

NO

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 13, 2013, 09:12:26 pm »

What do you all think?

NO

Lol we really do aaaalways have this discussion.
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 13, 2013, 09:14:12 pm »

What do you all think?

NO

at least there is nothing to mass (flavor or role or map) claim this time

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 13, 2013, 09:17:19 pm »

What do you all think?

NO

Haha, I misread a post and thought that Lio suggested that we should "Absolutely No-Lynch", not "Absolutely not No-Lynch" and was wondering why no one had commented on it.  And then immediately realized that the not was there, which looking back now, makes way more sense.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 13, 2013, 09:17:54 pm »

but in regard to spiritbears... I don't think his refusal to participate has much bearing (it does a little bit) on his alignment. I think as scum he might be more willing to participate to not create any waves and I could see him taking that stance as town. However, I do think he is a sophisticated enough of a player to try and twist that idea around... but as I have said repeatedly, that line of thought is risky for mafia because they will generally receive more heat than credit for it... see robz in the most recent blitz game where he was crazy... some of us were willing to say for a while that he was being too crazy to be scum, but ultimately he was lynched.

So for now I am leaning town on sb. mcmc, was your vote on him for real, or a frustration vote?

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 13, 2013, 09:20:43 pm »

unvote compounding frustration sorry everyone, I will try much harder to not be frustrated. I probably shouldn't have joined this game I just really really enjoy playing with you all, I'l probably be on to post some more later tonight as I have class tomorrow not work so I can be up a bit later.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 13, 2013, 09:57:25 pm »

With regards to who I would choose as my partners:
I'm in the same boat as nkirbit.  I would probably have some more fun with it though, like go back through Isotropic rankings and generate a random number weighting players with a higher level... I don't feel like going back and doing that right now, so just assume I would pick randomly. 
and now that we actually are having a discussion about things, i'm going to have to
Unvote
and go back and re-read all the arguments once I have more time.  So probably tomorrow.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 13, 2013, 10:03:15 pm »

With regards to who I would choose as my partners:
I'm in the same boat as nkirbit.  I would probably have some more fun with it though, like go back through Isotropic rankings and generate a random number weighting players with a higher level... I don't feel like going back and doing that right now, so just assume I would pick randomly. 
and now that we actually are having a discussion about things, i'm going to have to
Unvote
and go back and re-read all the arguments once I have more time.  So probably tomorrow.

You would have chosen Eevee and Robz, if you are going on iso rankings.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 13, 2013, 10:06:08 pm »

Also, unvote for now.  sb's refusal to participate strikes me as towny, even while being anti-town.  Just too risky for scum to take that stance, I think.

@yuma, sorry to let the cat out of the bag, I guess, but I generally feel like anytime we try to not mention something for things like this, it's silly, because if I figured it out, so will scum.  They know whoever they list will be scrutinized if they are lynched.  It's built-in wifom, but we're all aware and will analyze accordingly.  Your Arch fake investigation claim example is prime.

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp
« Reply #223 on: May 13, 2013, 10:10:37 pm »

yay... now I am a bully again?

No. I told you I didn't care for it, you correctly read it as "I don't know"
I was referring to Mc, with his " I know you're town but I'm fine with everyone else calling you scum if you dont don't do it."....and then voting me for......for what? Because he "knows I'm town."seems alot more pushy than I'm used to seeing him play.  Not sūre what that's about. But it doesn't jive with what I think about his play generally.....
Not sūre about Mc but leaning scum read
unvote
For now
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 13, 2013, 10:18:25 pm »

Vote: spiritbears, for obvious reasons.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 80  All

Page created in 0.484 seconds with 15 queries.