Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #200: Do What You Love  (Read 1684 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #200: Do What You Love
« on: September 28, 2023, 12:25:21 pm »
+5

Weekly Design Contest #200: Do What You Love
It's been just over five years since the first contest, and we're still going! In order to celebrate this milestone in f.ds history, the rule for this contest is to Design a Card or Sideways inspired by one of your favorite aspects of the game. This can mean designing a card similar to your favorite card, or a card that implements your favorite mechanic, a card that fits into your favorite expansion, that leads to your favorite game state, has your favorite type, uses your favorite flavor, etc.

Your submission should state the inspiration and, if not obvious, the way in which it's related to the design. But don't cheat and pick something you don't care that much about just to fit an idea you already have. All submissions will be accepted since the rule is not verifiable, but you will lose karma if you don't respect it. Probably.

As last time, no mechanics from Allies or Plunder since I don't know those. Sorry about that. Other than those, you can do whatever you want. A card, a split pile, a pile of unique cards, a Traveler Line, an Event, a Project, Spirit, Way, Heirloom... maybe a new set of Shelters? Ruins? Boons? Hexes? Or Horses? Curses? Maybe replace the Copper pile with something else?

And I expect you all to still be here when we hit contest #400 ☀️☀️

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +494
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #200: Do What You Love
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 03:48:28 pm »
+2

Combines three of my favorite things: Cards with lots of versatility, unique clauses, and the "oh shit, I can do that" realization when you find a dumb combo on a random board (see Artisan/Scepter, for example). Variable amount of options are a thing with Courtier and Elder, and this conditional extra choice ended up fitting just right. Maybe not a card you'll want a lot of, but one you'll be glad to have in your deck.

Clarification: As it checks if you have Actions left after you pick your first choice, if you get +Actions before then (e.g. gaining Villa), you won't get the second choice.
they/them

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1114
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 04:22:41 pm »
+8

I absolutely adore slick and simple cards in Dominion. To me, the complexity (and enjoyment) of the game emerges from the interaction between the cards; not by cards trying to do too much in a vacuum. Cadastre (or Cadaster, take your pick - both are valid spellings) is a simple addition to those easy-to-understand cards.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 12:14:29 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 09:40:01 pm »
+3

Herder
Action - $3
+1 Buy
+$2
Gain a Horse to the bottom of your deck. Each other player may gain a Horse.

I love non attack interactivity, particularly symmetry, and bottom decking which I think is still an under explored mechanic. Some of my earliest posts focused on those two ideas.

This card gives you a big turn later when you play multiple copies. It's not "strictly better" than woodcutter  so it can cost $3. The horse gain is optional so it's not an Attack.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 09:45:25 pm by NoMoreFun »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 09:41:31 pm »

Royal Library
cost $4 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal your hand while resolving this.
Discard all Treasure cards.
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand, skipping any Treasure cards; set those aside, discarding them afterwards.

kru5h

• Tactician
  • Respect: +401
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 09:37:11 am »
+1

I like choices, as long as they don't take way too long.

Warlock(v7)

Here, both players make a choice. The attacked player decides which cards to reveal to avoid a Curse, while the attacker chooses whether they discard those cards or gain a Curse.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 10:19:20 am »
+1

Warlock(v7)

Here, both players make a choice. The attacked player decides which cards to reveal to avoid a Curse, while the attacker chooses whether they discard those cards or gain a Curse.

"Any number of cards" includes 0 cards.

kru5h

• Tactician
  • Respect: +401
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 10:21:58 am »
+1

Warlock(v7)

Yup. You can choose to reveal 0 cards. Then the attacker chooses whether they want you to discard 0 cards or gain a Curse. Guess what? They'll probably choose the Curse option.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2023, 11:40:21 am »

Unless it's a game in which the only +buy comes from Forager, then they'll choose the discard!

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2023, 01:51:55 pm »
+1

Warlock(v7)

Yup. You can choose to reveal 0 cards. Then the attacker chooses whether they want you to discard 0 cards or gain a Curse. Guess what? They'll probably choose the Curse option.
Seems like it is always optimal to reveal 0 cards. Then you deny a choice to your opponent and don't reveal parts of your hand.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Snorka

• Baron
  • he/him or they/them- no preference
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2023, 02:22:20 pm »

I'm a fan of many things about Dominion, so this does several of them. I'm a big fan of gainers, tokens, durations, cost reduction, cares-about-types, and player interaction. This is easily the most "me" card I've ever made. (might be a little too strong or too complex.)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2023, 02:39:42 pm »
+2

I'm a fan of many things about Dominion, so this does several of them. I'm a big fan of gainers, tokens, durations, cost reduction, cares-about-types, and player interaction. This is easily the most "me" card I've ever made. (might be a little too strong or too complex.)

Is the fact that is reduces costs during opponents' turns intentional? I assume so from "player interaction" being in the list of things you said you're a big fan of.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2023, 03:06:03 pm »
+9

Inspired by 3 of my favorite things (in no particular order):
1. Encouraging variety.
2. Effects that scale, especially off of things that take a lot of strategy to make go crazy.
3. Debt, one of my favorite mechanics in Dominion.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Snorka

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2023, 03:14:26 pm »

Is the fact that is reduces costs during opponents' turns intentional? I assume so from "player interaction" being in the list of things you said you're a big fan of.

Yes, precisely.

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2023, 05:57:52 pm »
+1

Reaper • $5 • Treasure
Choose one: trash a Treasure from your Hand for +1 Buy and +$1; or discard a Victory for +1 Buy.
Choose one: gain a Silver; or trash a Silver from your Hand to gain a Gold to your Deck's top.
Heirloom: Sickle

Sickle • $2 • Treasure - Duration
$1
On your next turn, choose one: +1 Buy; or Treasures cost $1 less this turn.

1. I'm a fan of Heirlooms, like i have about two dozen ideas many of which i have already printed and use, most are other's ideas - thank you all.
2. I also like ideas not readily found in Dominion sets. So here is a Heirloom upon a Treasure and an Heirloom that is also a Duration. This Treasure is like a Mine alternative.
3. I also like choices for they give a card the flexibility to operate on many boards and with many strategies.

So i found this to be quite the difficult challenge. Instead of just reviewing the criteria and making something, i was left to review the ideas i already had. Many of my ideas are meshed with others. While, this may not be a great entry, this one is mine. :)

I do have an idea for a set of Ruin-like cards Wrecks that are separate from Ruins which i reduced, another for an alternative Horse, and yet another to replace the starting hand with something else, but maybe i'll save these for another time. :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 10:26:42 am by BryGuy »

Snorka

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2023, 07:12:37 pm »

Reaper • $5 • Treasure
Choose one: trash a Treasure for +1 Buy and +$1; or discard a Victory for +1 Buy.
Choose one: gain a Silver; or trash a Silver from your Hand to gain a Gold to your Deck's top.
Do you trash the Treasure from your hand or somewhere else? Also, "hand" and "deck" don't need to be capitalized.
edit: grammar
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 07:13:58 pm by Snorka »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2023, 10:26:55 pm »
+1

I like weird stuff, like cards that play other cards, and cards that don't do the same thing every time you play them. So, a Band of Misfits variant:
(I think I submitted an older version of this card to a previous contest some time ago.)

Doppleganger
$4 - Action - Command
Turn your Journey token over. If it's face-up, play a non-Command Action card in the supply, leaving it there. Otherwise, play the True Form, leaving it there. If the card you played cost $5 or more, take <1> debt.
-
Add an unused non-Command Action card costing $3 or $4 to the game to be the True Form card.
EDIT: added "non-Command"

FAQ: The True Form card is not in the supply.
Another version of this card allowed the True Form card to cost anything $3 and up, so if the True form card cost $5 or more, you'd take debt when the journey token was face down. I never actually tested it with a $5 True card, but it seems like it might be too strong even with the debt if it was a strong $5.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 10:09:23 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2023, 10:59:59 pm »
+1

I like weird stuff, like cards that play other cards, and cards that don't do the same thing every time you play them. So, a Band of Misfits variant:
(I think I submitted an older version of this card to a previous contest some time ago.)

Doppleganger
$4 - Action - Command
Turn your Journey token over. If it's face-up, play any Action card in the supply, leaving it there. Otherwise, play the True Form card, leaving it there. If the card you played cost $5 or more, take <1> debt.
-
Add an unused non-Command Action card costing $3 or $4 to the game to be the True Form card.

Another version of this card allowed the True Form card to cost anything $3 and up, so if the True form card cost $5 or more, you'd take debt when the journey token was face down. I never actually tested it with a $5 True card, but it seems like it might be too strong even with the debt if it was a strong $5.

You could simplify the wording a bit with "otherwise, play the set aside card, leaving it there... Setup: Set aside an unused non-Command Action card costing $3 or $4."

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2023, 10:58:55 am »

Love Potion P
Treasure/ Attack
+1 Buy
You may discard any number of Treasures, for 2$ each. Then, for each discarded card do this:
If you discarded a:
Potion, each opponent discards down to 3 cards.
Gold: Gain a card costin up to 5P

Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile costing P or more to the Supply.

Alchemy is my favourite Expansion, and i wanted a card that worked with a lot of alchemy cards. Some synergies:
Transmute gains a early gold you can easily discard,
for Vineyard you can gain a whole lot of actions quickly
Philosophers stone: Gives a Buy and more cards in the discard pile
Possession: Yeah no.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2023, 10:46:47 pm »
+1

Way of the Sea Serpent
Way - Duration
The next time you follow an Action card's instructions, follow them again.

I like throne variants (particularly flagship), ways, and megaturns.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2023, 08:44:33 am »

24-ish hour warning

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +538
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2023, 10:12:21 pm »
+2

Artist Village | Action | $3
+$2
When you play a card you have no copies of in play, +1 villager.
Ignore any + Actions you get from cards this turn

I like cards that reward you getting unique cards. The villagers you might spend right away to play the next unique action to get another villager. Or, perhaps you have some actions leftover and you can bank lots of villagers for a future hand.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2023, 10:26:52 pm »
+1

+$2

I really like the idea, but that it triggers off Treasures seems to make it too easy to get lots of Villagers. On the other hand, if it only triggered off Action cards, it would be useless without a source of +2 Actions, so that would not be a good solution.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2023, 02:02:58 am »

Doppleganger
$4 - Action - Command
Turn your Journey token over. If it's face-up, play any Action card in the supply, leaving it there. Otherwise, play the True Form card, leaving it there. If the card you played cost $5 or more, take <1> debt.
-

You sure that you want this to be able to play Command cards?

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +538
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2023, 01:41:44 pm »

+$2

I really like the idea, but that it triggers off Treasures seems to make it too easy to get lots of Villagers. On the other hand, if it only triggered off Action cards, it would be useless without a source of +2 Actions, so that would not be a good solution.

Thanks for your feedback! The treasure villagers was intentional. I am thinking that if it’s the only “village” in the game, you need something to kickstart villagers (since the card is itself terminal), allowing coppers to give you villagers turns it your version of the card (trigger on actions only) with a delayed + villager which helps it be a village the third time you play it. The eventual villager flooding is intentional to allow you to play multiple copies of the same action card some turns.

Of course, I’d need to do extensive play testing to determine if this works.

Also this card does boost silver, which is another thing I like (cards that boost silver)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 1.93 seconds with 21 queries.