Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #197: One Order of Events, Hold the Gains  (Read 2335 times)

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #197: One Order of Events, Hold the Gains
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2023, 06:02:50 am »
+1

Should be simple enough via a token, e.g. a Project cube.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2023, 06:12:06 am »

Should be simple enough via a token, e.g. a Project cube.

should i add that to the Event card?

kru5h

• Tactician
  • Respect: +401
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2023, 02:37:29 pm »
+3

Mulligan

If I've drawn 2 cards at start of turn with a Wharf (I didn't play it this turn), is it 7-1 for 6 cards to draw, or standard 5-card hand draw -1 for 4? 1 fewer card makes the former make more sense, but hand draw I only associate with end of turn.

You would draw for each card discarded (minus one.) So if you had a Wharf in play, you could draw up to 7, discard 7 with Mulligan, and draw 6.

With Treasure Chest, you can gain all Golds!

Good observation!

Mulligan(v4)

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2023, 06:36:46 pm »
+3

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2023, 01:45:52 am »
+2

Looks a bit too strong compared to Expedition.

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2023, 05:08:23 pm »
+1

Compost Pile
$4  Event
Once per turn, +1 Buy and choose one: trash up to two cards combined from either your Hand or your play area;
or +$1 per Non-Victory card in the trash costing more than $1.
After a while your trash may be become something more useful.  :) Limited to non-Victory to avoid Victory dumping.

previous
Compost Pile
$3  Event
Once per turn, +1 Buy and choose one: trash up to two cards from either your Hand or non-Durations you have in play;
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 05:56:38 pm by BryGuy »

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2023, 06:36:03 pm »

Divination - $2
Event

+1 Buy
At the end of this turn, flip your deck upside down.

FAQ:
- yes, all cards are now face-up. You can always see the top card.
- when you shuffle the next time, the deck will be put back face down again

I like this a lot!  Some other rules clarifications:  If I buy Divination and the next turn I gain an Inn, do I:
  • Keep my current deck face-up and shuffle in the Inn and other Actions face-down?
  • shuffle all the cards face-down?
  • shuffle all the cards face-up?

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2023, 01:12:32 am »
+2

Compost Pile
$3  Event
Once per turn, +1 Buy and choose one: trash up to two cards from either your Hand or non-Durations you have in play;
After a while your trash may be worth something.  :)
much stronger than Bonfire

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2023, 03:53:35 am »

Suggestions for nerfing it a tiny bit:

Make the Played prize happen in the buy phase to differentiate this from Expedition.
And to make sure your action phase doesnt get uber strong
Make it cost less, have +1 Buy on it, but make it so that the player to the left either decided what prize you play or picks one you CANT choose. This makes it less "free attack +2 cards"Y

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1114
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2023, 10:37:57 am »
+3

I was hesitant with the Duration tracking, but ultimately decided it was fine.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 10:39:50 am by X-tra »
Bottom text

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +494
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2023, 10:41:07 am »
+3

This isn't eligible. Bag of Gold gains Gold, Trusty Steed can gain Silver, and Followers gains Estates.
they/them

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2023, 10:46:33 am »
+1

Lightning
Event - $3
Discard a card from your hand.
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a card sharing a type with it (or reveals a hand without such cards)

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2023, 08:57:42 pm »
+2

Perhaps this is another gray-ish area, but I believe that this card doesn’t follow the first restriction (as some of the Prizes can gain cards, even if some don’t).

Sorry for not getting to this sooner, I’ve had a busy week moving into my new apartment.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 07:13:39 am by AJL828 »
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

AJL828

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2023, 08:52:17 am »
+1

Forgot to post this last night, apologies.

The contest is now closed!

Check back later today for the results!
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

AJL828

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2023, 04:51:16 pm »
+4

Results:

Expunge by Augie279: This one is pretty interesting, it seems like it would reward getting draw cards early on as you would be very likely to hit $4 while also having multiple Victory cards in hand. I don’t think opening with this is too strong, but you probably wanna do it sometimes. It also makes for a very good counter to Torturer. I can’t of much else to add, I like this one.

Royal Parade by JW: The concept for this one is fun but I think it’s too expensive to be worth it most of the time. Ultimately you’re paying $6 for +1 Card (since you won’t have to draw that Action card) and 1 more action play than your deck would otherwise. Most of the time I see myself preferring to gain some other Action card to boost my deck permanently instead of just for 1 turn. I do think a cheaper version of this idea could work though, it would be especially interesting when this would be the only village.

Offering: I find this to be too similar to Ritual. It is different in that you can actually thin with it, but since your opponents can also thin I don’t think you’ll be using it for that much (like Bishop). It’s also not clear to me how the order of the other players trashing their cards is resolved. Normally, the order of things like this don’t matter, but with you getting an extra VP if anyone else trashes, there is some incentive to “fake out” the other players. It may also just resolve clockwise, but I still think that falls into too political of a design for a Dominion card.

Explosion by Will(ow |iam): I think this is too strong, especially due to it netting you extra buys. Buying this on turn 3 will result in you having both your opening buys, the ability to play both (if they are terminal actions), having the ability to buy several cards at once, and ensuring nothing misses the shuffle. Now there are similarly strong Events in the game (mainly Donate is what I’m thinking of) but with those there is some variance to when/how they’re used (even if you do want it somewhat early 99% of the time). With this Event however, I only picture myself wanting to get it turn 3 (or turn 4 if turn 3’s hand is $2).

Fold by NoMoreFun: Very simple! I can see this being used frequently early on to accelerate cycling back to your opening buys or sometimes as a means of correcting bad shuffles set up by cards like Golem. It rewards deck tracking and encourages you to think about the $1 difference between certain cards you might want, which I think is a great thing. Great work.

Coronation by Ethan: I think this is well balanced, but is again very similar to an existing Event. This is essentially just a Throne version of Toil, and without the +Buy Toil has, I think this is going to be a harder sell on a lot of boards. It also should have some sort of non-Duration clause, as there is nothing paired up beside any Duration cards you play to help you remember using Coronation on them last turn.

Gathering by segura: This seems very useful across all stages of the game. You can use it early to resolve upcoming terminal collision, or in the mid-end game to prevent losing a turn to a dud. Being buy neutral the first time allows you to still get other things done on your current turn as well, without it feeling too spammy (which it might if the +Buy was unconditional). You often overshoot pricepoints in Dominion, so I think this would be bought a fair amount on average, but like Fold it encourages thinking about the small price gaps in what cards you want to buy. Another excellent submission.

Arson by Gubump: I think this is too strong in comparison to Bonfire and also varies significantly depending on your the order of your opening splits. Having 5/2 or 4/3 only allows for 1 use of this and limits the number of Estates that can be trashed, while having 2/5 or 3/4 allows for 2 uses and trashing of 2 or 3 Estates.

Conservation by fika monster: Looks very fun with trash for benefit cards, but I don’t think I would use it without any around. $5 is a lot to pay to downgrade trashing and junking attacks, and I’d rather get an Action card to help my deck permanently (much like Royal Parade). I think this concept would be best utilized in a rotating split pile actually, as that way you could ensure the presence of TFB cards to make it interesting.

Mulligan by kru5h: I think that this is too strong given its ease of access. This effectively (almost) doubles your search space for your starting hand each turn, which seems a little too much anti-dud insurance compared to similar effects (like Guide, which needs a pair to be used once per turn, or Journey, which requires hitting $4). I think some extra cost or restriction on what can be discarded would make this more interesting.

Cast by Aquila: This Event provides a very unique way of teaching players the basics of engine building and the downsides of Silver and Gold, while still also showing them they don’t have to completely ignore them. This event allows you to stay thinner while hitting early price points, and later on spike higher ones. It even provides an interesting decision of whether or not to get some “Silver +” type cards, like Patron or Gondola (as Silver can be stored now and used in a pinch). I really like this one.

Divination by faust: Like Conservation, I think this is a really fun concept that is unfortunately just a bit too narrow as an Event. It seems really exciting with the cards it works well with, like Mystic, Chariot Race, or Ironmonger, but I’m not sure how useful it would be outside of those “top card of deck” synergies (as ideally, you want your engine to be reliable enough to draw everything without needing to see the next card coming up. I think this is also worth revisiting in a different form, like a rotating split pile.

Laurels by spheremonk: I’ll still provide some feedback for this, even though it indirectly can gain cards. First off, I think this has some wording problems, as I think as worded it can re-set aside Prizes you’ve already played this turn, or even Prizes from other player’s areas (can you set aside cards that are set aside elsewhere?). Regardless a simple, “from the Prize pile” can fix this, so I won’t pay much mind to it. I think that this event is problematic still unfortunately, as the Prizes have significant Power variance, and oftentimes being the first one to use this will make other players have a harder time getting it (mainly talking about Followers here). I really only see myself wanting this for Followers, Steed, or maybe Princess sometimes.

Compost Pile by BryGuy: The first option still compares favourably to Bonfire, allowing trashing of Estates/Shelters and being buy neutral. I don’t really get the point of the second option, as all players share the same trash, so putting more cards in there to benefit from this part of the Event also helps your opponents (and without a cap, this can produce ludicrous amount of +$ in combination with trashing attacks).

Visit by X-tra: This is a really cool parallel to Populate, and I really like that this works best with the sorts of Actions that don’t work well with Populate (this benefits from +$, gains, and terminal cards, as you won’t be able to use the extra actions unless there’s Villa or Cavalry or something). Duration tracking seems a little problematic, but like the suggestion made for Conservation, placing a cube on this each turn as a reminder is a good enough solution. Nonetheless, a unique and interesting card.

Lightning by grep: This is another good concept but I feel like it’s missing something, mainly because this is strictly an attack-like effect with no other benefit. Attack-like events can work for sure, but having some benefit besides the attack makes it a lot less upsetting if the attack park doesn’t work out. Perhaps some benefit for the person buying it also based on the types of the card would be interesting.

Honourable Mentions:
Fold by NoMoreFun
Visit by X-tra

Runner Up: Cast by Aquila

Winner: Gathering by segura

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2023, 07:23:55 pm »

I actually forgot about Ritual when making Offering. oops.

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2023, 06:11:27 am »

Defenseless attack 2$
+1 buy
Each other player with at least 4 cards in hand discards 1 of them.
The first time you gain a card costing at least 5 this turn, trash 2 differently named cards from your hand.

You attack the other players, but if you then also loot their kingdoms, by the time you return barbarians or so have already destroyed everything at home. To get to 7 you really need some great luck or a good deck, holding coppers in your hand at that time makes it even harder. The wording is also designed so in multiplayer games you arent as sad if another player already bought it before you. Feedback appreciated!

(oh shit didnt know it was already over lol)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 2.401 seconds with 20 queries.