Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #196: If a card is in the kingdom...  (Read 3981 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #196: If a card is in the kingdom...
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2023, 01:12:36 pm »
+3

Landlord

The wording "anytime" could cause rules confusion. For example, I play Lookout and trash a Haunted Mirror. Can I exchange a Silver from my hand for Landlord before resolving its "discard an Action card for Ghost" effect? I suggest "At the start of your turn or after you play an Action card on your turn..." instead.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2023, 03:24:09 pm »

Currently at a relatives place so cant make a mockup card.

but here is my contribution:

---
Decrepit City
Action $5

Card text:
+2 Cards
+3 Actions
-
In games using this, Whenever you play an action card and have more then 2 unused actions, discard a card for each empty supply pile.
---

lets try this again:
if you play an action card with 3 or more actions, then you discard a card per empty supply pile
that should be far simpler, and not require math all the time.

updated: i hope this is better
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

kru5h

• Tactician
  • Respect: +401
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2023, 08:44:56 pm »
+1

Landlord

The wording "anytime" could cause rules confusion. For example, I play Lookout and trash a Haunted Mirror. Can I exchange a Silver from my hand for Landlord before resolving its "discard an Action card for Ghost" effect? I suggest "At the start of your turn or after you play an Action card on your turn..." instead.

Good idea, but that's way too long for text on a decent card. I decided to rework the card:

Path

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2023, 12:29:53 am »
+2

Path

Someone can gain the whole pile with a Fortress in hand (because the first one that you gain and play lets you trash Fortress again). Back to “exchange” instead of trash?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2023, 04:17:23 am »
+1

Path

Someone can gain the whole pile with a Fortress in hand (because the first one that you gain and play lets you trash Fortress again). Back to “exchange” instead of trash?

that and it needs the Action type

kru5h

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2023, 09:55:09 am »
+3

Fixed both issues. Hopefully this works now.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1455
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2023, 11:24:51 am »
+4

Get lost in the Maze but tread lightly, there's a fearsome Minotaur somewhere in there.

The Maze pile features 9 Mazes and 1 Minotaur shuffled together before the game, and like Knights, you cannot examine the order of the pile. The Minotaur cannot be gained in most cases (and it has no play effect), but the moment it's found, it immediately lowers all the Supply piles, pushing the game toward a faster ending. Mazes are like Lantern-activated Border Guards that transform into one-shot double Labs once the Minotaur is found (because the Maze is collapsing and you have to get out). If the Minotaur starts on top, you do its effect at the start of the game, or you can reshuffle if that doesn't feel as fun.

And on the personal side: no baby quite yet, but this challenge was too interesting to pass up :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 02:59:20 pm by 4est »

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2023, 12:38:06 pm »
+4

Mazes are Great Halls that transform into Experiments once the Minotaur is found (because the Maze is collapsing and you have to get out).

The concept and implementation of Minotaur is great! However, Maze seems weak. Great Hall was rarely bought (and even less so early on), and the possibility of finding the Minotaur and turning them into single Experiments (when Experiment is good because comes with two copies for that $3 investment, not one copy like Maze) doesn't seem sufficient to change that.

That said, my suggestion for how to change it is to make the quickest change possible and then get all the rest possible before your happy new arrival!

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2023, 01:49:57 pm »
+2

Get lost in the Maze but tread lightly, there's a fearsome Minotaur somewhere in there.

The Maze pile features 11 Mazes and 1 Minotaur shuffled together before the game, and like Knights, you cannot examine the order of the pile. The Minotaur cannot be gained in most cases (and it has no play effect), but the moment it's found, it immediately lowers all the Supply piles, pushing the game toward a faster ending. Mazes are Great Halls that transform into Experiments once the Minotaur is found (because the Maze is collapsing and you have to get out). If the Minotaur starts on top, you do its effect at the start of the game, or you can reshuffle if that doesn't feel as fun.

And on the personal side: no baby quite yet, but this challenge was too interesting to pass up :)

Is the cards theme what shopping for baby furniture at IKEA feels like?
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

4est

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2023, 02:22:22 pm »
+2

Mazes are Great Halls that transform into Experiments once the Minotaur is found (because the Maze is collapsing and you have to get out).

The concept and implementation of Minotaur is great! However, Maze seems weak. Great Hall was rarely bought (and even less so early on), and the possibility of finding the Minotaur and turning them into single Experiments (when Experiment is good because comes with two copies for that $3 investment, not one copy like Maze) doesn't seem sufficient to change that.

That said, my suggestion for how to change it is to make the quickest change possible and then get all the rest possible before your happy new arrival!

Great call, JW--it's the classic split pile challenge of making the top card something people actually want if you want any hope of the other card showing up. I'll update Maze later today if I can!

kru5h

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2023, 09:18:38 pm »
+4

I hate that I'm so indecisive, but I updated my card again to be more general so that it is more aligned with the theme of this contest.

Path(v5)

EDIT (Added "to your hand.")

Path(v6)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 05:53:55 am by kru5h »

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2023, 09:03:52 am »
+1

Fine Art/Art Dealer
Randomizer
This pile start with one per player of each card. All copies of Fine Art are on top.

Fine Art
$3 Treasure
$1
Discard a card for +1 Card.
You may gain a Copper to your Hand.
You may exchange a Buy for $1.
-
In games using this, each set of three same named Treasures in play give +1 Buy.

Art Dealer
$5 Night
Choose one: Trash two same named Treasures in play to gain a Treasure costing up to $3 more; or +2 Coffers and place a card in play on your Deck's top.
:)
Seams like extra Buys are lacking in many Kingdoms. This provides a condition to garner extra Buys. Hoping this is a funner idea.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 09:37:28 am by BryGuy »

4est

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2023, 11:25:35 am »
+3

Okay here's an updated Maze to go with Minotaur (updated in the OP as well). It's now an Lantern-activated Border Guard that turns into a one-shot double Lab once the Minotaur is found. A decent sifter in the midgame and nice to pop later. Had to drop the 1VP part which is too bad, I had liked the idea that you start losing points when escaping the Maze but its way too much for one card.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2023, 03:27:16 pm »
+7

« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 05:17:57 am by silverspawn »

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +468
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2023, 06:31:29 pm »
+4

That sounds interesting. But I would increase the cost to $3 (at least) as Nomad Village is similar in strength to Village: It's better when revealing an Action, weaker when revealing a Treasure, and roughly equivalent when revealing a VP card or a Curse. NV's below-the-line effect also makes the card stronger.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2023, 05:17:33 am »
+1

On second thought I agree. I do think it's weaker than village because not drawing is so bad, but getting it on 5/2 does sound pretty stupid. Updated!

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2023, 06:32:11 pm »
+8

EDIT: I realized today that the bottom I had originally went crazy with junkers, so I'm now restricting it to only activate on the active player's gains.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 05:57:07 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2023, 08:49:59 pm »
+1

Impoverished Village
$3 - Action

+1 Cards
+2 Actions
+2 Buys
-
In games using this, at the end of your Buy phase, if you have at least 2 unused Buys or Actions, gain a Copper.

You get the Copper if you have two or more unused Buys, two or more unused Actions, or 1 unused Action and 1 unused Buy.  The top would be strictly better than Village, but it always has to live in a world with the bottom. Even if both Village and Impoverished Village are in the same kingdom, there are reasons to get one, the other, or a mix of both.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2023, 10:25:48 pm »
+1

Impoverished Village
$3 - Action

+1 Cards
+2 Actions
+2 Buys
-
In games using this, at the end of your Buy phase, if you have at least 2 unused Buys or Actions, gain a Copper.

You get the Copper if you have two or more unused Buys, two or more unused Actions, or 1 unused Action and 1 unused Buy.  The top would be strictly better than Village, but it always has to live in a world with the bottom. Even if both Village and Impoverished Village are in the same kingdom, there are reasons to get one, the other, or a mix of both.

IMO it isn't quite clear from reading the card text that it means 2 total between Actions and Buys rather than 2+ Actions or 2+ Buys.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2023, 04:37:49 am »

Impoverished Village
$3 - Action

+1 Cards
+2 Actions
+2 Buys
-

IMO it isn't quite clear from reading the card text that it means 2 total between Actions and Buys rather than 2+ Actions or 2+ Buys.

I once made a card where the idea was that you get +1 Action back if half of your hand is {cards that cost 0 or copies of this card}. Unfortunately, "if at least half of your hand is copies of this or cards that cost 0$" is ambiguous for the same reason as here. The only solution we ever came up with was using the "and" wording, i.e., "if at least half of your hands is copies of this and cards that cost 0$". Unfortunately that doesn't work here because it allows a third interpretation (that you need both +2 Buys and +2 Actions). I still don't know any elegant wording that solves the problem.

An inelegant solution would be "at the end ... add up your Buys and Actions. If the sum is at least 2 ...."

Or you change it to either or, which does have a good wording ("at least +2 Buys or at least +2 Actions") and just go with the changed mechanic.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2023, 11:14:50 am »
+2

Goldsmith

Action ($5)

You may discard a Treasure to gain a Gold to your hand.
---
In games using this, the first time you gain a non-Victory card each turn, gain a cheaper card that shares a type with it.

A pretty standard Gold gainer, but the bottom means it might not just be getting you Golds. Pretty great in a kingdom with a desirable $5 Treasure like Spices or Crown, but sometimes all it'll get you is an extra Silver. You might also choose to forgo the card entirely to get better use out of the bottom in the Buy phase. It should also shake up openings, as the effect is not optional.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2023, 11:47:26 am »

Impoverished Village
$3 - Action

+1 Cards
+2 Actions
+2 Buys
-

:)
Maybe something like "In games using this, at the end of your Buy phase, if you have at least two unused Buys plus Actions, gain a Copper."

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2023, 01:39:57 pm »

Forbidden Forest
Victory
-
-
When you gain this, each other player gains a Curse unless they reveal a Victory card from their hand.
If Forbidden Forest is in the kingdom, will you make more green for defense?

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2023, 02:07:20 pm »

Forbidden Forest
Victory
-
-
When you gain this, each other player gains a Curse unless they reveal a Victory card from their hand.

This card doesn't fit the theme of the contest. Edit: never mind, I missed the second clause in the original post, giving the Swindler/Magpie example. Let this be a lesson not to procrastinate on work with ill-considered Dominion. :-)

This week's challenge is to Design a card (not a landscape) that does something even if nobody buys/uses it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 03:45:18 pm by JW »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2023, 02:56:08 pm »
+1

Forbidden Forest
Victory
-
-

This card doesn't fit the theme of the contest

This week's challenge is to Design a card (not a landscape) that does something even if nobody buys/uses it.
I would let Will(ow/iam) be the judge of that. This card does something by making you more likely to keep Esates or go for some other early green to block the curse.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 2.186 seconds with 21 queries.