Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #174: Back to the Future  (Read 5428 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #174: Back to the Future
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2023, 02:43:50 pm »
+3

Junkyard
- Action Duration
+1 Card and +1 Action.
Trash a card from your hand. The next time you trash a card, +2 Cards.

Notes: It has to cost at least $4 so that you can’t routinely open with two copies. It seemed like it would be weak at $5, though these "next time" cards are hard for me to assess power levels of.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2023, 02:48:56 pm »
+6

Ain’t it always fun to see Freudian kettle logic in action. Gondola has never existed, it has never been on the wiki, it is but there is no picture of it.

I think they just scrolled down to the pictures below where indeed Gondola is missing. I don't think they had any ill intents there.
Bottom text

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2023, 03:49:09 pm »

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Treasure
The wiki was missing Gondola
No, it wasn't. I am afraid you missed it.

You took the quote out of context.  ::)
The wiki's Treasure page is still missing a picture of Gondola (they are in alphabetical order) and almost every Treasure from Plunder, but Gondola can be found on the Plunder's page (where the cards are in cost order, then alphabetical order).

In the List of Treasure Cards, all Treasure is listed.
Ain’t it always fun to see Freudian kettle logic in action. Gondola has never existed, it has never been on the wiki, it is but there is no picture of it.
trolls gotta troll  ::)
If I first claim that the Earth is flat, second that it is certainly not a sphere and third that opinions on its size differ people will respond to my bullshitting.

Next time simply admit that you were wrong instead of accusing other posters of taking stuff out of context or trolling.

Also, what's with that colour thing?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2023, 06:42:32 pm »
+3

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Treasure
The wiki was missing Gondola
No, it wasn't. I am afraid you missed it.

You took the quote out of context.  ::)
The wiki's Treasure page is still missing a picture of Gondola (they are in alphabetical order) and almost every Treasure from Plunder, but Gondola can be found on the Plunder's page (where the cards are in cost order, then alphabetical order).

In the List of Treasure Cards, all Treasure is listed.
trolls gotta troll  ::)
If I first claim that the Earth is flat, second that it is certainly not a sphere and third that opinions on its size differ people will respond to my bullshitting.

Next time simply admit that you were wrong instead of accusing other posters of taking stuff out of context or trolling.

Also, what's with that colour thing?

BryGuy: OH, this is why I was wrong!

segura: yOu'Re MaKiNg CoNtRaDiCtOrY cLaImS iNsTeAd Of AdMiTiNg YoU wErE wRoNg!!1!!!

What BryGuy ACTUALLY did was, he first mistakenly didn't realize Gondola was present because he doesn't own Plunder, and then in the next post, he mistakenly thought that the Treasure page was missing Gondola completely and explained that, then he lastly explained that he merely thought that the page was missing Gondola because it is, in fact, missing the picture of Gondola.

People are allowed to correct themselves. If you're going to act like a troll, yes, people are going to accuse you of being a troll.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 06:48:06 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2023, 10:31:25 am »
+8

These kinds of exchanges are definitely what keep me coming back to the Weekly Design Contest thread every week.

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2023, 11:29:52 am »
+2

Supply Lines
+1 Action
+$2
The next time you play an Attack gain a Loot.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2023, 02:40:49 pm »
+2

Donald X: Don't make silver+ power level cards costing 4$ or less, they're too good.
Community: k
Donald X: here's Patron lol
Community: oh yeah >:( look at what we got

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2023, 02:57:03 pm »
+4

Donald X: Don't make silver+ power level cards costing 4$ or less, they're too good.

And now we have Gondola, which really is truly a strict Silver+ for . And Drachma, the card people were arguing about, isn't even actually truly a Silver+. You have to gain a Victory card to get it back to be able to play it again, and it can also Exile Victory cards you'd want to keep in your deck, like Nobles.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2023, 05:10:41 pm »

It's funny because imo patron is a rather neat card and I've never really heard anything bad about it.
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2023, 07:36:13 pm »
+2

Why do people always name Patron as the first official Silver+ for $4. Conclave came first.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2023, 09:33:50 pm »
+2

Why do people always name Patron as the first official Silver+ for $4. Conclave came first.

Arguably it started with Delve. You never buy "Silver" in Delve games. But Silver is still ending up in your deck.

Conclave is terminal if you don't have differently named cards to play with it.  A hand with 2 conclaves and no other actions, you would rather have a Silver.

Patron can be drawn dead.

Gondola is the first true example of a strict Silver+ for $4, although there are reasons you might still end up getting Silver in games with Gondola (Silver gainers, avoiding opponent Stowaway triggers).

The rule made sense because it wasn't strategically interesting to have Silver+ on the board. When you have $4 and it isn't really a decision whether to buy Silver or the Silver+, so  in a way it's a waste of a slot. I don't think Drachma has that problem - it plays differently and you'll be thinking about shuffles and so forth.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2023, 06:55:43 am »
+1

Supply Lines
+1 Action
+$2
Regardless of the whole Silver+ discussion, this card is much too strong. It's stronger than Courtier. (if you connect Courtier with an Attack, you can get +$3, gain a Gold. This doesn't need to connect, and gains a card better than Gold.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2023, 07:48:12 am »

I agree that it is too strong (except for Kingdoms without Attacks in which it will rarely be bought). But I don’t perceive it as stronger than Courtier which is more flexible.
I think that the idea, slightly nerfed in some other way, could work in a split pile with an Attack card below. It would fix the issue of this being a dead Kingdom slot in Kingdoms without Attacks and it would delay the Loot gaining.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2023, 07:55:04 am »
+1

Conclave is not strictly speaking Silver+ as Conclaves can and do collide (without any other playable Action).

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2023, 11:59:03 am »
+2

Farmer
Action - Duration ($4)

+1 Card
+1 Action
The next time you gain a card on your turn, you may exchange it for a card costing up to $1 more than it.

A sort-of Peddler card that can stay out and wait for a better hand or trigger off of midturn gains. It does have some drawbacks though, it can't help you at all if you wanna buy a Project or Event, they'll all trigger at once if multiple are in play (and cannot stack), and it often won't be much use to you when scoring (unless there are $7 cards on the board). With this many drawbacks I feel that $4 is a fair price. I also included a "during your turns" clause so that cursers don't knock it out of play.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 12:02:08 pm by AJL828 »
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2023, 02:49:15 pm »
+1

Supply Lines
+1 Action
+$2
Regardless of the whole Silver+ discussion, this card is much too strong. It's stronger than Courtier. (if you connect Courtier with an Attack, you can get +$3, gain a Gold. This doesn't need to connect, and gains a card better than Gold.

It also stays out until you play an Attack and is thus an overpriced, one-shot Silver without Attacks, whereas Courtier is not.

I do, however, agree that it's too strong for just $4.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 02:55:34 pm by Gubump »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2023, 03:18:42 pm »
+1

Dragon
$5 - Action - Attack - Duration
Choose one: +$3, or gain a Treasure from the trash or a Gold.
The next time any player gains or trashes a Treasure costing more than $5, each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their deck and trashes a card costing between $3 and $7.

A trashing attack designed to work with Loots (but not directly).
I know it's almost strictly better than Bandit and maybe too similar, but it's what I came up with anyway...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 06:15:32 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2023, 03:21:11 pm »

Dragon
Choose one: +$3, or gain a Gold or a Treasure from the trash.
The next time any player gains or trashes a Treasure costing more than $5, each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their deck and trashes a card costing between $3 and $7.

I know it's almost strictly better than Bandit and maybe too similar, but it's what I came up with anyway...
You don't need to say "gain a Gold or a Treasure" since Gold is a Treasure
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2023, 03:39:56 pm »
+1

Dragon

I assume they mean "gain a Gold, or gain a Treasure from the trash", although this is one more word on an already wordy card. You could switch them to say "gain a Treasure from the trash or a Gold" which is the same number of words but unambiguous.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2023, 06:15:03 pm »

Dragon

I assume they mean "gain a Gold, or gain a Treasure from the trash", although this is one more word on an already wordy card. You could switch them to say "gain a Treasure from the trash or a Gold" which is the same number of words but unambiguous.
Yeah, this is what I meant. I'll fix it.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2023, 07:46:53 am »
+3

Supply Lines
+1 Action
+$2

It also stays out until you play an Attack and is thus an overpriced, one-shot Silver without Attacks, whereas Courtier is not.

I do, however, agree that it's too strong for just $4.
Well a card that is overpowered whenever it's useful isn't balanced by the fact that it's occasionally useless.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2023, 10:27:04 am »
+3

24 Hour Warning

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2023, 06:03:35 pm »
+3

(edited according to suggestions)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 02:55:50 am by silverspawn »

Builder_Roberts

• Bishop
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2023, 07:05:24 pm »
+2

You might try:
Set aside any number of cards from your hand, then draw that many. The next time you shuffle, discard the set-aside cards.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 07:06:26 pm by Builder_Roberts »
Just living a life, you know?
All of the Best cards I've made:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21287.0

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2023, 08:33:00 pm »
+2

You might try:
Set aside any number of cards from your hand, then draw that many. The next time you shuffle, discard the set-aside cards.

I would even suggest either "after the next time you shuffle" or "discard the set-aside cards afterwards." To make it clear that it happens after shuffling (which I assume is the case).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.