Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #219: Livin' in the (Lost) City)  (Read 108 times)

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +503
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #219: Livin' in the (Lost) City)
« on: May 15, 2024, 03:07:11 pm »
+1

Weekly Design Contest #219: Livin' in the (Lost) City

So, Lost City. It's pretty good, right? +2 Cards, +2 Actions is a really good benefit that a lot of cards like giving for some reason. Lots of different ways to go about it, but your goal is to find a way to make one of these cards.

Challenge: Design a card that can give +2 Cards and +2 Actions.

...Some clarifications on what exactly that means below. If you have to ask about anything that's not listed here, ask! But I hope I'm comprehensive enough here. Just put +2 Cards and +2 Actions on it somewhere and you're probably good. This is just for people who feel like stretching definitions.

Valid:
-Cards that give +2 Cards, +2 Actions, and may also do other things. (Lost City, Encampment, Landing Party)
-Cards that can give +2 Cards and +2 Actions if you meet specific conditions. (Shanty Town, Diplomat, City, City Quarter, Sacrifice)
-Cards that (can) act like Lost City, but don't specifically say +Cards or +Actions on them. (Golem, Herald, Bustling Village)
-Cards that (can) give more than +2 Cards, +2 Actions. (Cursed Village, Crossroads, Lich)
-Cards that split up the +2 Cards and +2 Actions across multiple turns. (Longship)
-Cards that you can pay resources to get more cards with. (Capital City)
-Horse gainers. (Paddock) Gain X Horses and +X Cards are close to synonymous in my eyes.

Not Valid:
-Throne Room and its variants. I'm aware you can Throne a Horse or Laboratory for a Lost City effect. That isn't what I'm aiming for.
-Cards that keep your handsize neutral or reduce it. (Inn, Recruiter) I'm not aiming for sifters here. This is for draw and actions, together.
-Cards that can give +2 Cards, +2 Actions, but need specific support to do so. If you need to make a "technically this can work if X other card is on the board" justification, I'm not accepting it. (e.g. Ironmonger that hits Mill, Eldered Broker, Chameleoned Conclave, any Command-type cards)

Contest ends at the time this was posted 1 week from now, 5/22/2024. I will try and get judgement in two days from then, but life happens, so it may not be exactly then. Best of luck to all entrants!

Note: Please use the fan card generator to mock up cards you create. I won't accept entries not made in the form of an image. Imgur has been my default image hosting service for the sake of linking my own entries here, so if you haven't had experience mocking up fan cards, I recommend using it.

Entries: (If you need to update or replace your card, make a new post.)

kru5h - Polis - A Lost City with +Buy that's delayed until the next time you play one.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 10:05:56 pm by Augie279 »
they/them

kru5h

• Tactician
  • Respect: +408
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #219: Livin' in the (Lost) City)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 08:23:08 pm »
+7

Polis(v1) Action - Duration - $5

The next time you play a Polis: +2 Cards, +2 Actions, and +1 Buy.

Normally, would be too cheap for +2 Cards, +2 Actions, and +1 Buy, but this is nerfed by the fact that the first one you buy does absolutely nothing. The second time you play one, it activates the first. The third activates the second, and so on. Buying four of these is like having only three of them in your deck.

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +464
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 10:12:01 pm »

Iron Harvest
Action - $5
+1 Buy
Reveal and discard top four cards of your deck.
+1 Action per Action card revealed.
+$1 per Treasure card revealed.
+1 Card per Victory card revealed.

An attempt to fix a notoriously weak card from first edition
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 10:16:39 pm by grep »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 10:24:35 pm »
+4

Advisor City | Action | $4
+2 Cards

Reveal your hand. The player to your left chooses two Action cards in your hand. Play those cards in any order.

FAQ: Opponent chooses as many as they can, so if you only have one Action card in hand, they have to name that, and if you have 0 Action cards in hand, well this is just a bad moat.

I like the idea of this but I need some feedback on power level. The idea is that your opponents could make this terminal by having you play terminal actions and then end your action phase prematurely. Or force you to play trashers in the middle-end game when you don't have cards you want to trash.

I don't know if those drawbacks are enough to price it at $4. I considered giving it a "gain a copper" when you gain it. I also considered it at a $5 and gaining a silver when you gain it. So, here is the simplest version and looking for power-level feedback.

Iron Harvest
Action - $5
+1 Buy
Reveal and discard top four cards of your deck.
+1 Action per Action card revealed.
+$1 per Treasure card revealed.
+1 Card per Victory card revealed.

An attempt to fix a notoriously weak card from first edition

Grep, the opening post says Augie279 "won't accept entries not made in the form of an image. " so your entry isn't going to be accepted as is, I believe.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 11:14:17 pm by anordinaryman »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1688
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 11:30:52 pm »
+1

Seems like everyone is requiring images when they judge now. Why?
It's a pain to make the mock-up, then upload it somewhere and post the link here. I don't want to have to make an imgur account just for the weekly design contest.

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +197
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 11:35:57 pm »
+1

:)                                                      :)                                                     :)
:)                                                      :)                                                     :)
Mirage City • $3 • Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions

Reveal a Hand card costing $5 or more to exchange this for a Bargain City; otherwise return this to the Supply.
:)
Bargain City • $5* • Action
+2 Actions
+1 Buy

You may Play a Treasure. You may pay up to $2 for +1 Card per $1 paid. (Not in the Supply)
:)
Here is a City variant that can gain you access to another City variant.
:)                                                                                                             :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 11:38:28 pm by BryGuy »

fika monster

• Minion
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +503
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 03:42:27 am »

Shared Momentum
Trait

Any +1 is instead +2.
When you gain this card, each other player gains a horse and +1 Villager.
(this trait can't be on a card without +1)

Is traits allright? Here is one i just made.

Turns any normal +1 something action card into a +2!! Techniclly it could land on a non +1 Card and +1 Action card, in which case it woulnt be a lost city.
But i just love the idea.

To make this not be identical to lost city i made it so the other players gains horses, and a villager. A different "penalty" for you.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:44:57 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3264
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:29:53 am »

Seems like everyone is requiring images when they judge now. Why?
It's a pain to make the mock-up, then upload it somewhere and post the link here. I don't want to have to make an imgur account just for the weekly design contest.

You can use https://imgbb.com/, it doesn't need an account. And you can do a mockup without image, then it takes < 1 minute once you figured out how

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3264
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 05:38:58 am »
+1

Council Hall - Action - $5

+2 Cards, +2 Actions, Each other player may discard a card, to draw a card.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 07:29:16 am »

« Last Edit: Today at 07:32:39 am by NoMoreFun »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.