Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31  All

Author Topic: MAFIA V: Emptying the Apothecary Pile GAME OVER - TOWN WINS  (Read 77053 times)

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: MAFIA V: Emptying the Apothecary Pile (Day 1)
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2012, 12:23:43 pm »

@Frisk: The problem with the idea is that the mafia won't follow it and thusly you won't know that much. Not to mention the doctors that target mafia just die.

@O: The real doctor(s) would save that person

The alternative is random chaos?  I'm going through the math in my head, but you know we're all going to use our doctor powers tonight.  Might as well have some control / pre knowledge of what happened, because the dead won't be able to tell us tomorrow.

Well there is exactly one herbalist that has no power until someone dies. With the herbalist they will be able to reveal the role of the first non mafia person who dies if it would be beneficial, as well as knowing what power they have. So I guess that would be a roleclaim, not sure if thats the best or not, but throwin it out there.

It's not necessarily random chaos anymore so than any other mafia game though just more people with abilities
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2012, 12:31:40 pm »

1. Apothecary (Doctor) - You are the village's true healer, anyone you target at night will be prevented from a (single) night kill.

2. Familiar

3. Golem (CPR Doctor) - A lumbering brute, you were built by the Apothecary to help heal patients, and when you get a really sick patient your gruff manner pays off. But when you accidentally target the healthy, your superhuman strength becomes a liability and ... you tend to crush them.

4. Possessor (Paranoid Doctor) - A friend of the Apothecary, you have the power to take over a person's body for a night, keeping them from doing whatever they would be doing. You are the functional equivalent of a jailkeeper.

5. Alchemist (Quack Doctor) - You've convinced the king you can turn lead into Gold with just a little more funding. In the meantime, you've convinced him to employ you as a healer. Unfortunately, you don't exactly have much training... You kill whomever you target to heal.

6. Stoned Philosopher (Naive Doctor) - In your philosophic contemplations, you think yourself a doctor, a healer of not the body, but the mind and soul. But in fact, you're a useless stoner and your night action does nothing at all.

7. Familiar

8.Apprentice (Weak Doctor) - You are the village's healer's assistant, and unfortunately the Familiars in the mafia don't respect you at all or feel they need you. If you unwittingly attempt to heal one of them, they'll straight kill you, not to mention cursing you and drawing a card.

9. Herbalist

For the sake of argument

Assume that this is the layout randomly proposed
9. does nothing.
8. Dies by targeting familiar raising suspicion of 9.
7 does what it wants.
6. Does nothing
5. kills 4 raising suspicion of 5
4. Stops 3 from killing 2
3. Jailed
2. Does what it wants.
1. Prevents 9 from dying.

Now assume that the familiars kill 1. Assume we lynch town today

Then on day 2, 2 Mafia, 4 Town and we're down our actual doc. Not odds Im super keen on
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2012, 12:32:34 pm »

Vote Count

Captain_Frisk [2] - O, ftl
Galzria [1] - Galzria

not voting - Robz888, Thisisnotasmile, yuma, Captain_Frisk, Insomniac, zxcvbn2

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:35:02 pm by jotheonah »
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2012, 12:33:47 pm »

Tonight is going to be a blood bath, and the mafia are going to win quickly, I suspect.

That's why I would actually counsel NOT using our powers tonight and instead concentrating on lynching mafia today and tomorrow. Which, you know, is almost never done successfully in any mafia game, but we can try.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2012, 12:34:13 pm »

Also there is much worse odds then those that I pointed out. Like the Golem could kill town, and the best suspicions we have would be mostly town

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2012, 12:37:08 pm »

I agree with Robz at least for night 1.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

I'm also up for not killing people accidentally.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2012, 01:02:08 pm »

That's why I would actually counsel NOT using our powers tonight and instead concentrating on lynching mafia today and tomorrow. Which, you know, is almost never done successfully in any mafia game, but we can try.

If we don't use our powers, what we have is Mafia II: nobody ever has any real info all game, we thrash around talking about nothing for twenty pages, and probably never lynch a mafia. I believe that of all the successful lynches in all the mafia games on this board so far, only one has been done without direct help from a power role? Or something like that?

Will we know something more about our powers after one night of not using them that'll make using them night 2 any less random and accidental, or any more likely to hit mafia?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

I never said I wasn't going to use my power, just that I agree we shouldn't kill people accidentally ;)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile

If we don't use our powers, what we have is Mafia II: nobody ever has any real info all game, we thrash around talking about nothing for twenty pages, and probably never lynch a mafia. I believe that of all the successful lynches in all the mafia games on this board so far, only one has been done without direct help from a power role? Or something like that?

Will we know something more about our powers after one night of not using them that'll make using them night 2 any less random and accidental, or any more likely to hit mafia?

I guess that's a valid point.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile

I guess that's a valid point.

No it isn't there is a herbalist, the herbalist knows exactly what its power is when it gets one

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

the herbalist knows exactly what its power is when it gets one

No (s)he does not.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile

"THE CATCH IS the Apothecaries, other than the Herbalist (Nurse) will not know their sanities, nor will they be revealed on death."

Other than the nurse/herbalist, the herbalist knows what it does

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

The Herbalist knows it takes on the role of the first person to die. It does not know what that role is. This was cleared up in the first page of this thread, however I would welcome it being re-cleared up if possible.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

This was asked, I believe, on the first page of the thread.
A few rules questions:

1.  Herbalist doesn't know the sanity of the Apothecary inherited, right?  He just inherits "a protection ability" without knowing what it does?  (If so, Herbalist Role PM looks like it may need tweaking.  I expect you are using the role PMs from the mafiascum wiki article, but I think that article has the Nurse/Herbalist PM wrong - at least in the context of Medical Mafia.)

Right, doesn't get to know. Fixed in OP.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile

Sorry for the confusion. The passage Insomniac quoted is a little misleading.

The Herbalist knows they are the Herbalist. However they will not know the sanity of their inherited power any more than anyone else in the game.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

O

• Jester
    • View Profile

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

Oh, good call. Ima do some research now and see how Town won those.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

O is being... Uncannily helpful for D1.

Bad O. Stop it. Do I need to random vote based on timestamp?
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Oh, good call. Ima do some research now and see how Town won those.

Briefscan: It looks like only the last 1 had a night 1 bloodbath:

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?t=21496

Maybe my idea not so good afterall?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

Yeah, it looks like it's very high variance, there was one with a bloodbath (4 nightkills!) and two with no night 1 deaths at all (actually makes sense, with so many docs around...)

Most of those games didn't pre-agree on who to target, though one did (and not the bloodbath one).

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile

I like post 21 in this. Perhaps we should start a Mafia game here were everyone has to write in prose. Wouldn't that be fun for Galzria's essays? Who knows... he could be the next Shakespeare!

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

prose/prōz/Noun:      Written or spoken language in its ordinary form, without metrical structure.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

I like post 21 in this. Perhaps we should start a Mafia game here were everyone has to write in prose. Wouldn't that be fun for Galzria's essays? Who knows... he could be the next Shakespeare!

I spent close to ten years performing on stage. I grew up in the Michigan/Illinois area, and traveled up to Stratford in Canada every year to attend their Shakespeare festival (Along with the Festival in Oregon, they're some of the largest and most well known outside of the Globe Theatre in London). So... yeah. Can do.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

O

• Jester
    • View Profile

O is being... Uncannily helpful for D1.

Bad O. Stop it. Do I need to random vote based on timestamp?

Do I really need to add more chaos to this setup?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31  All

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 20 queries.