Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #217: Silver  (Read 1825 times)

Melon

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Melonpop
  • Respect: +53
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #217: Silver
« on: April 19, 2024, 08:59:59 pm »
+7

Weekly Design Contest #217: Silver

Design a card that interacts with Silver. Some examples from Dominion are Feodum, Trader, Raid, and Conquest.

Contest closes on April 26th, at about 6:00 PM.

kru5h

• Tactician
  • Respect: +401
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #217: Silver
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 10:59:33 pm »
+10

Purchase

Useless if you have only one Silver in play. If you have more, however, you get rewarded with extra buys.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +498
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 11:03:18 pm »
+2

Does it have to mention Silver by name, or do cards that synergize with it but don't (e.g. Seer) qualify?
they/them

Melon

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Melonpop
  • Respect: +53
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 07:41:35 am »
+3

It doesn't have to mention Silver.

StrangerSon712

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2024, 01:42:01 pm »
+1

Coin Collection $2 Treasure
+$1 per Silver you have in play.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 01:44:48 pm by StrangerSon712 »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +500
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2024, 07:03:10 pm »
+2

Redacted entry. came up with a card i like more, "appraiser"

JUGGLER

Juggler
5$ action

+1 Action
Gain a silver to your hand.
You may discard any amount of silvers, revealed.
Gain +1 Card and +$1 per silver discarded.

I considered making this tecnicly terminal but letting you get +1 Action as well when discarding cards. i decided against that, and felt that making it non terminal was better.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 08:23:57 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +462
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2024, 11:34:31 pm »
+2

Manufacture
Action - $6
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may reveal 3 Treasure cards from your hand to gain a card costing up to $5.
-
In games using this, when you gain a Victory card, gain a Silver.

(ref)
Upd: adjusted cost, some rewording
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 10:28:13 am by grep »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2134
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2024, 11:45:24 pm »
+3

Aluminium Smelter
Project - $5
On your turns, gain a Silver at the start, and when you play a Silver, trash it
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 09:24:01 pm by NoMoreFun »

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +180
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2024, 06:47:31 pm »
+1

:)
Silver Scepter • $5 • Action
You may discard a card costing at least $3 to gain two Silvers and trash a Hand card. Otherwise, +$3.
-
In games using this, reveal a Hand of four or more cards and only Silver to end the game.
This provides a narrow window to end the game prematurely.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 08:22:58 pm by BryGuy »

Tiago

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tserridge
  • Respect: +135
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2024, 06:54:26 pm »
+1

Silver Scepter • $5 • Action
Discard a card costing at least $3 to gain two Silvers and trash a Hand card. Otherwise, +$3.
-
In games using this, reveal a Hand of four or more cards and only Silver to end the game.

What does the otherwise mean? Since the instruction is mandatory, shouldn't it be "if you can't"? If you're supposed to be able to not discard a card, you have to add "you may".

Can you end the game the normal way?

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +253
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2024, 07:51:45 pm »
+3

Smelter $3 - Action
Trash a card from your hand. If the trashed card is a:

Copper ... +1 Action, +1 Buy
Silver ... +5 Cards
Gold ... gain two differently named cards costing less than it.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2024, 08:23:11 am »
+4

I came up with a card im happier with.
I present: Appraiser

Version 5:
A significant debuff

VERSION 4:

+2 Cards
You may play a card that gives +$ from your hand.
-
In games using this, Silver is instead an Action that gives +2 Actions, +$2.

Edit notes:
Made appraiser cost $4 as its worse then lab. Made it able to play treasures in your discard pile, meaning its sorta like a smithy in card draw now. Thus removed the +2 Cards option on silver, cause playing a silver that way with appraiser without having to draw the silver is essentially a hunting grounds, which is nuts for $5, let alone $4. And thats not talking about the fact that you get money from the silver!!
Removing the +2 Cards option makes silver now a necropolis + silver. it simplifies the card and removes uninteresting decision points. And it made it so i can just remove the "If it's your action phase" part, saving a lot of space on Appraiser. which is needed when it allready has text on the top.
Hopefully silvers still feels like Silvers here. Im not a fan of removing the money part on silvers, it's part of its identity

Edit round 2:
Tightened up wording. Made it match charlatans text more. Removed the "play from hand" part, and now it is just playing from the discard pile, but you discard a card first.

Edit round 3:
Decided to nerf the card significantly.
Silvers are now instead ACTIONS, not action-treasures.
Appraiser now lets you play ANY card that gives you +$ from your hand. NOT from your discard pile. That competed too hard with courier and if you had enough silvers, that was a GM fugitive. which wasnt my intent.
Now there is hopefully a counterbalance between getting enough silvers for supporting your action deck.
But also silvers usually being -1 card. Meaning that if you play silvers with appraiser, you get +2 Cards first, -1 Card for having to draw appraiser and -1 Card for silver, But you net 1 action.
Which was my intent.
The new version has cleaner wording as well. Which i hope is a lot better.
Hopefully Appraisers new ability Makes you wanna add more cards you might not usually want as well. Maybe poor house or forager will becoming pivotal parts of your deck!

FAQ:
If you also get conclave on the kingdom, you should just replace it with another card. sorry!!
Ways doesnt count for being allowed to play cards with appraiser.
Appraiser doesnt play coffer cards, sorry!
If you have an token that lets a card give you money when it normally wouldnt, you can play it with appraiser.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 03:04:38 am by fika monster »

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +498
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2024, 05:34:11 pm »
+7

Reforge
Event - $7
Trash any number of non-Duration Treasures with the same name from play. For each, gain a Treasure costing up to $3 more than it.

Mine, but an Event! Would be nice to trash all 7 Copper into Silver and then all of those Silver into Gold, but the existing Banish proves why that's unlikely to happen in practice.
they/them

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2024, 06:20:42 pm »
+3

UPDATE These two versions are out of date. New version here
VERSION 2:

Hot Springs | Action | $3
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may play a Treasure from your Hand.

If this is your only hot springs in play, this turn, when you play a Silver, +1 Card and then you may top-deck a card from hand.

The name is because of its similarities to Sauna which is the same except change "Avanto" to "Treasure" and "you may trash a card from your hand" to "+1 Card and then you may top-deck a card from hand" and with the extra clause "If this is your only hot springs in play,"

Note that "playing a treasure from hand" happens BEFORE the "this turn" clause, so you need 2 Hot Springs in play to get the pseudo-lab affect, and that's only if you have Silver in hand with the second play.

Otherwise, it boosts silver slightly, though drawing cards during your Buy phase is awkward, you also have the power to top-deck to help your next turns.

Overall, this is not a very strong card. It's not meant to be. It's a card that doesn't hurt to pick up (since it's a cantrip) and enables some fun strategy with top-decking and has the promise of a cheap lab (though it's difficult to make work and requires a lot of deck-control... a fun challenge). It also lets you play treasures in your action phase which can sometimes be useful (Coin of the Realm, Supplies, Bauble, Quary, Collection, Crystal Ball,Cauldron, Scepter, Sunken Treasure, Figurine, Orb, Sextant, Spell Scroll, and Staff are treasures that are slightly stronger if you can play them in Action Phase). As a final trick, it allows treasures to be incorporated into draw-to-x engines. So overall it has a place in many decks, though none of those roles are super strong.

Open to feedback.

OLD VERSION:

Hot Springs | Action | $3
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may play a Treasure from your Hand.

This turn, when you play a Silver, +1 Card and then you may top-deck a card from hand.

Thank you to silverspawn for pointing out the original version stacked the draw, such that with two hot springs, every silver draws 2 cards! Totally busted. I had to add the wordier "If this is your only hot springs in play" to deal with this.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 11:47:38 am by anordinaryman »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2024, 09:58:10 pm »
+6

Mad Scientist
$5 - Action
+1 Card.
+1 Action.
You may trash a card costing at least $2 for +2 Cards. If you don't, gain a Silver.

I may have entered this card in a design contest before. If I have, it's been a few years at least. This is an old one I have, but it's one I've played with several times and I like it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 01:26:16 am by LibraryAdventurer »

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2024, 04:19:18 am »
+1

VERSION 3:

Appraiser
4$ Action

+2 Cards
You may play a Treasure from your hand or discard pile.
-
In games using this, Silvers are Action-Treasure cards with:
+2 Actions
+$2
Updated the card. I believe the edits here significantly improves the card.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3240
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2024, 05:01:01 am »
+1

Open to feedback.

I think this is just busted -- I don't see why you would ever not decide to build a hot springs/silver engine. Yes it's awkward that you need to alternate them and/or have more hot springs up front, and yes it starts a little slow since the first Silver is just +1 Card, but the upside is so massive. You get to use a card that you buy anyway as your engine piece, can skip other terminal draw entirely, and it becomes stronger than other draw pretty quickly. Not that hard to go hs/hs/silver/hs/silver/silver/silver and net +14 cards and +8$

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2024, 11:31:48 am »
+1

Open to feedback.

I think this is just busted -- I don't see why you would ever not decide to build a hot springs/silver engine. Yes it's awkward that you need to alternate them and/or have more hot springs up front, and yes it starts a little slow since the first Silver is just +1 Card, but the upside is so massive. You get to use a card that you buy anyway as your engine piece, can skip other terminal draw entirely, and it becomes stronger than other draw pretty quickly. Not that hard to go hs/hs/silver/hs/silver/silver/silver and net +14 cards and +8$

You're absolutely right, I didn't mean for the Hot Springs draw to stack!! The intended functionality is that each silver only draws you 1 card no matter how many extra HS you have in play. I now edited the original post to only trigger drawing on the first hs.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 11:39:00 am by anordinaryman »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2024, 01:31:20 pm »
+1

Ok that makes sense. But now I have a wording complaint -- I get that the text below triggers at the point when you play it, so at the time when you play the first it is in effect and then doesn't stop working if you play a second one. So it does what you intend (except that the effect is throneable). But it's quite confusing because you look at it and think, well if I have two in play the drawing part no longer works.

I think you can achieve the same much more elegantly with a horizontal line and "When you play a Silver while having at least one Hot Springs in play, +1 Card"

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2024, 02:49:27 pm »

Ok that makes sense. But now I have a wording complaint -- I get that the text below triggers at the point when you play it, so at the time when you play the first it is in effect and then doesn't stop working if you play a second one. So it does what you intend (except that the effect is throneable). But it's quite confusing because you look at it and think, well if I have two in play the drawing part no longer works.

I think you can achieve the same much more elegantly with a horizontal line and "When you play a Silver while having at least one Hot Springs in play, +1 Card"

I believe that your wording still stacks, since bottom lines do stack with multiple cards. (For example, talismans, goons all both fire). However, you've inspired me to use "in games using this" to simplify it.

How about "In games using this, if you have at least 2 Hot Springs in play when you play a Silver, +1 Card and then you may top-deck a card from hand." That seems totally unambiguous.

I could change "at least 2 Hot Springs" to "a Hot Spring" which then strengthens the card to be able to lab with just one. I'm wondering if that's more powerful than I want. Thoughts?

There's a third option of making it a reaction "when you play a Silver you play this from your hand, if you do +1 Card and then you may top-deck a card from hand." but I like that the least.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2024, 03:24:55 pm »

I don't think bottom lines stack (but anyone correct me if I'm wrong). I think the bottom line is just a rule that is added to the game. With goons and Talisman, they say "this" so the rule depends on the card. So if you have two talismans in play, the rule applies to the first copy and the second copy, so it triggers twice. If Talisman said "when you have a talisman in play" instead of "when you have this in play", I don't think it would stack.

Compare Duchess -- "in games using this, when you gain a Duchy, you may gain a Duchess". You don't get 10 Duchesses because the rule exists 10 times.

StrangerSon712

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2024, 04:22:31 pm »
+1

Your wording is unprecedented, so we can't know if it stacks. "In games using this" should be used to achieve the desired effect, like anordinaryman suggested.

Tiago

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tserridge
  • Respect: +135
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2024, 08:43:25 pm »
+3

sumrex

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: sumrex84
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2024, 06:38:18 am »
+2

Potion Trader
P
Action
You may reveal a potion from your hand to gain a silver to your hand, or reveal a silver to gain a potion to your hand. Then reveal your hand. Apply the following effect as many times as you have treasures in hand costing 2 or more:
+1 action
+1 card
+1 buy
You may trash a non-treasure card from your hand.

Not sure about the wording, feedback is appreciated!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2024, 08:47:17 am »
+1

Your wording is unprecedented, so we can't know if it stacks. "In games using this" should be used to achieve the desired effect, like anordinaryman suggested.

Fair enough, I don't mind the "in games using this" wording
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.