Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 80  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXV: Mean Girls (Fourth Quarter)  (Read 201443 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXV: Mean Girls (First Day of School! First Day of School!)
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2013, 08:41:17 am »

Why just one name yuma? Three mafia, wouldn't there be two to pick?

because ashersky said "their partner" not "their partners"

If I picked another it would probably be you, eevee, or mcmc or lio.

Can we be sure of scum numbers?  3-4/13 is standard (see my C9++ games), so maybe high for 12.  Definitely 2 or 3.  If someone could enlighten us, that'd be great.

I would have chosen Eevee, I think.  A reunion from MAII.  For a third, I think someone no one would associate with me, but that I know well from modding, like mail-mi or Lio.

Game set-up (mostly) closed.  This is a twelve player game and mafia will be allowed to pick their partners.  There will be three rounds of PMs pre-game and each player will receive one PM per round.  Once again, anybody who hints at or claims their flavor name, will be mod-expelled.

Well pick their "partners" and the three rounds of PMs seems to indicate 3 scum.

3/12 is 1/4 of town.  2 mislynches and 2 NKs puts us at mylo on D3.  Rough odds.  Although Shraeye was involved in the setup, right?  There were like 40 scum in Pokemafia.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2013, 09:54:05 am »

Quote from: ashersky loverlook c=8000.msg240592#msg240592 date=1368446053
Good point about the flavor name claims, I hadn't realized that.

I've wished we get a game where scum gets to pick their partners for a long time, seems interesting. I think it's quintenssential wifom, everyone would most like to have yuma or Robz in their team but they are also the most obvious choices. I don't think scum would go for the total newbie, as no one has seen him play andthe risk of him being atrocious and totally destroying their team seems unnecessary. Mod question: Is there one "grand mafioso" who chooses the team, or how was that done? Do even even know how many mafia there are?

The middling choices I think are most likely "lets not go too obvious either way", so people like liopoil, ashersky, TwistedArcher, myself. But meh, it's so person dependentant, and the temptation of picking Robz or yuma must be pretty big.

Also yay for someone agreeing with me about RVS. This kind of theory talk also seems very unlikely to hurt town, the best case scenario is that mafia slips somehow / we lynch mafia and get to back to see what he thought picking partners.

Why am I middling?  Why are you?  Granted, I'm a terrible choice for scum partner, given my penchant for somehow being seen as super scummy, but I thought I had a fair chance at being picked.

I definitely would have gone with vet over newbie, I think.  Even with a night to plan and get to know someone in a QT, a partner you already know is going to be better, I think.
Knowledge of a scum qt and planning time
And trying to get us to overlook soon-to-come scummy actions ( "somehow being seen as super scummy") as just our predisposition to think him scummy (I had no such predisposition)
vote:ash
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2013, 10:35:36 am »

My plan would have been to roll a dice or some other RNG, since I don't really know who anyone is.

I would also guess that there are three scum, with the second chosen by the first, and the third chosen by the first two.. if there were only two or the first person chose both of them, why would there need to be three rounds of PMs instead of two?  To throw us off?

As for who is likely to be chosen, I obviously have no input as I don't know anyone, but I think it's a great thing for us to discuss, as it's really the only thing we have to discuss at the moment.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2013, 01:25:18 pm »

Vote: Robz, yuma makes a point.  It still isn't the greatest, though, obviously.

Also, back to the RVS discussion, I do it to move things along.  I couldn't think of anything better to do, so I did something.

Now, I probably would have picked someone in the in between group and a vet as my partners.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2013, 01:41:08 pm »

I didn't even realize the scum were picking their partners. Fascinating.

How did you not realize this? What did you think those three PMs were all about then? You know the ones that you had to keep confirming?

Does anyone else find this post odd? Especially after this post:

So, this game is at first glance rather daunting. We have no idea what PRs are in effect.

Where it is apparent that Robz had read through the game setup because he knows we don't know what PRs are in the game.

vote: Robz

I clicked over to page 1, scanned it for a list of PRs, found none, and gave up. I thought the three PMs thing was flavor related.

I'm an idiot.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp
« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2013, 02:44:05 pm »

I didn't even realize the scum were picking their partners. Fascinating.

How did you not realize this? What did you think those three PMs were all about then? You know the ones that you had to keep confirming?

Does anyone else find this post odd? Especially after this post:

So, this game is at first glance rather daunting. We have no idea what PRs are in effect.

Where it is apparent that Robz had read through the game setup because he knows we don't know what PRs are in the game.

vote: Robz

I clicked over to page 1, scanned it for a list of PRs, found none, and gave up. I thought the three PMs thing was flavor related.

I'm an idiot.
That makes two then. I thought it was just flavor also
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

modestguineapig

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2013, 03:09:50 pm »

Hi everyone! 

FWIW, in the movie....there is one central "mean girl" and two followers.  BUT...(here's the interesting part), the socially-awkward lead character [Lindsay Lohan] joins their group in the middle of the movie to try to sabotage them.  She starts to become one of them, being mean, and then she realizes the error of her ways...after becoming homecoming queen, no less.  (Haha, this movie is better than I am making it seem in summary.) 

Anyway, my point is...perhaps halfway through the game one of the student body will get to join the mafia [plastics].

vote: Robz (it did seem like he was "playing dumb" about mafia choosing partners)

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2013, 03:50:14 pm »

If anything, Robz feels more towny to me than scummy because of his confusion.  He's either:

a:  a townie who simply didn't realize why we were sending out 3 PMs.  This is very plausible, I myself was confused at first by this until I reread the rules after I got the 2nd PM and was wondering why I got it.

b:  a mafia who knew exactly why we were sending out multiple PMs (He either chose other mafia or was himself chosen), then chose to falsely claim that he didn't know that mafia were choosing each other.  This would have been a deliberate choice, but it doesn't seem to me that it would have any real benefit, especially for the risk he would have taken (since it was after the post where he points out reading the rules about not knowing roles.. if posting this was a conscious decision, which it would have been if it was a lie, I don't think he would have missed this).

The first just seems way more likely to me.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2013, 04:15:54 pm »

I should note that "play dumb" is a valid tactic that even vets have used. Yuma tried it in Mafia XIX. I called him out for it repeatedly.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2013, 05:03:55 pm »

I should note that "play dumb" is a valid tactic that even vets have used. Yuma tried it in Mafia XIX. I called him out for it repeatedly.

Yeah, I know.  There's just been a bunch of people agreeing with Yuma's initial point, and I wanted to throw out how I felt about it.. good to have it out there, at least.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2013, 05:31:11 pm »

Quote from: ashersky loverlook c=8000.msg240592#msg240592 date=1368446053
Good point about the flavor name claims, I hadn't realized that.

I've wished we get a game where scum gets to pick their partners for a long time, seems interesting. I think it's quintenssential wifom, everyone would most like to have yuma or Robz in their team but they are also the most obvious choices. I don't think scum would go for the total newbie, as no one has seen him play andthe risk of him being atrocious and totally destroying their team seems unnecessary. Mod question: Is there one "grand mafioso" who chooses the team, or how was that done? Do even even know how many mafia there are?

The middling choices I think are most likely "lets not go too obvious either way", so people like liopoil, ashersky, TwistedArcher, myself. But meh, it's so person dependentant, and the temptation of picking Robz or yuma must be pretty big.

Also yay for someone agreeing with me about RVS. This kind of theory talk also seems very unlikely to hurt town, the best case scenario is that mafia slips somehow / we lynch mafia and get to back to see what he thought picking partners.

Why am I middling?  Why are you?  Granted, I'm a terrible choice for scum partner, given my penchant for somehow being seen as super scummy, but I thought I had a fair chance at being picked.

I definitely would have gone with vet over newbie, I think.  Even with a night to plan and get to know someone in a QT, a partner you already know is going to be better, I think.
Knowledge of a scum qt and planning time
And trying to get us to overlook soon-to-come scummy actions ( "somehow being seen as super scummy") as just our predisposition to think him scummy (I had no such predisposition)
vote:ash

I know you are newish, and maybe haven't been scum ever, but this is like my 50th game.  Knowing scum have a QT and pre-game to chat and plan is not special knowledge, sb.  It's common knowledge for all regular games.

That was a terribad vote, and quite possibly a newbie scum mistake.

Vote: spiritbears

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2013, 05:35:38 pm »

Ashersky is correct, spiritbears. Scum always have a qt.

I very much doubt that this was anything other than a mistake though, ash. In fact, I think it's a genuine mistake, which means he has no knowledge that scum have a qt. What does that make him? Town. He's town, you retaliator!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2013, 05:36:50 pm »

Yeah I'd say out of those two votes, ashersky's was clearly clearly worse..

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2013, 05:37:34 pm »

What's up with the wagon on me? Man, you do one thing last year and suddenly every body's on you.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2013, 05:39:06 pm »

Hey look, our first day one real interaction! And ash is voting someone for not knowing about the scum QT! Why wouldnt a newbie scum know about that? Vote: ash
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2013, 05:50:07 pm »

Hey look, our first day one real interaction! And ash is voting someone for not knowing about the scum QT! Why wouldnt a newbie scum know about that? Vote: ash

Really?

Yeah I'd say out of those two votes, ashersky's was clearly clearly worse..

You are kidding, right?

Ashersky is correct, spiritbears. Scum always have a qt.

I very much doubt that this was anything other than a mistake though, ash. In fact, I think it's a genuine mistake, which means he has no knowledge that scum have a qt. What does that make him? Town. He's town, you retaliator!

At least Robz makes a good point.

He could be confused town.  Or his vet partner(s) that he chose coached him to play up newbieness for town cred.  I can see Robz/Yuma/mcmc (especially mcmc!) suggesting that in a QT during pre game.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2013, 05:50:33 pm »

What's up with the wagon on me? Man, you do one thing last year and suddenly every body's on you.

Do you mean last game?  What happened?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2013, 05:51:38 pm »

I prefer "dumb play" to "play dumb" for my style.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2013, 05:53:57 pm »

Do you mean last game?  What happened?

I mean, you claim Godfather one time and suddenly there's three people on your wagon.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2013, 05:59:54 pm »

I was only playing dumb about one of the two mistakes. I honestly thought it was Marquis and not Maquis. But yeah, the playing dumb was just that about the jot/jto PM and certainly worked to a certain extent.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2013, 06:30:17 pm »

Okay, let's see what people have responded to my question:

yuma: ashersky
ashersky: Eevee, mail-mi/lio
mail-mi: ?
Eevee: mcmc, mgp
liopoil: ?
Robz888: ?
nkirbit: ?
AHoppy: ?
modestguineapig: ?
mcmcsalot: ?
spiritbears: ?
sudgy: Robz888 (joke?)

So, not a lot of responses so far.

Also, I'll note that mcmc has yet to post in this game.  I know he's got a new busy schedule, so hopefully he shows up soon.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2013, 06:32:45 pm »

Who I would choose as partner? Probably yuma, and probably one of the newer newbies (Ahops, sb, nkirbit)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2013, 06:34:28 pm »

Hi everyone! 

FWIW, in the movie....there is one central "mean girl" and two followers.  BUT...(here's the interesting part), the socially-awkward lead character [Lindsay Lohan] joins their group in the middle of the movie to try to sabotage them.  She starts to become one of them, being mean, and then she realizes the error of her ways...after becoming homecoming queen, no less.  (Haha, this movie is better than I am making it seem in summary.) 

Thanks for this tidbit, mgp.  I have not seen the movie, so know nothing flavor-wise about this game.

So, do we expect a traitor role in this game, and if so, will it match the movie and be a townie that gets access to the scum QT?  That's super powerful (probably bastard), since the townie can just tell everyone who's scum.

If it's a regular "Traitor" like in Mafia Noir or LotR, then it fits the regular mafia game, but not the flavor.

I'm not sure how much use it will be for us to try to figure out how shraerae translated this movie into a game...

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2013, 06:53:58 pm »

Hey guys, I just realized, TA isn't actually in this game, so yeah, I think a couple of us mentioned him.

I actually was thinking about who I would choose a bit pre-game. I was leaning toward choosing Eevee and MGP.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2013, 06:56:08 pm »

Okay, let's see what people have responded to my question:

yuma: ashersky
ashersky: Eevee, mail-mi/lio
mail-mi: ?
Eevee: mcmc, mgp
liopoil: ?
Robz888: ?
nkirbit: ?
AHoppy: ?
modestguineapig: ?
mcmcsalot: ?
spiritbears: ?
sudgy: Robz888 (joke?)

So, not a lot of responses so far.

Also, I'll note that mcmc has yet to post in this game.  I know he's got a new busy schedule, so hopefully he shows up soon.

As I stated earlier, I would have chosen entirely at random, never having played with anyone here before.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 80  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.