Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 97  All

Author Topic: Role Madness Mafia I GAME OVER, everyone wins sort of!  (Read 233228 times)

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Role Madness Mafia I: Curse You All to Deck!
« Reply #225 on: July 15, 2012, 01:11:26 pm »

I too think mass claiming is bad. It's day 1 guys come on. Still v/la till late tonight
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 15, 2012, 01:29:04 pm »

unvote, vote: No Lynch

1) There are no vanilla townies.
2) Lynching day 1 doesn't kill the target, so we don't find out their alignment.
3) We have no real information to go on, and I don't want to mass claim.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 15, 2012, 03:22:06 pm »

Actually, now, without the ability to kill the target day 1 a no lynch does make sense. But... eh, I reckon we can do better. Maybe...? Whoever we give -VP to could be killed by the mafia, but at that point that person was under suspicion and so maybe that'd be a good thing?

I have to wonder just how easily various roles are going to give out VPs... like we have Timchen's claim he gets +1 per night, but how many roles will give other players +VP? I have a bad feeling VPs will end up quite chaotic.
I'll just be self sufficient and start massing Ironworks and end this game with a Silk Road rush (not a claim). There should still be 12 Silk Roads and 10 cards per pile, and game ending on... 4 piles, right :P?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 15, 2012, 04:20:52 pm »

Mod question:  Does the increasing penalty for lynching increase by day, or increase by lynch?

Ie - if we no lynch today, does a lynch on day 2 get -10 vp or -5?

I'm really surprised that nobody is pro claiming.  After any night actions, we may end up losing information.  That said - it looks like that's the way everyone feels - including scum I guess - so I won't press.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 15, 2012, 05:29:51 pm »

Mod question:  Does the increasing penalty for lynching increase by day, or increase by lynch?

Ie - if we no lynch today, does a lynch on day 2 get -10 vp or -5?

I'm really surprised that nobody is pro claiming.  After any night actions, we may end up losing information.  That said - it looks like that's the way everyone feels - including scum I guess - so I won't press.

My only goal with the half-lynch on day 1 was so that everybody would have a chance at doing something, so day 2 will be -10 VP whether you lynch today or not.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 15, 2012, 08:51:40 pm »

Actually, why did that embargo token disappear? Or did it?

@massclaim: no, at least not for power roles. But if you have a role similar to mine,  I do think it is a good idea to claim.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 15, 2012, 09:42:21 pm »

It seems as if nothing can be gained by lynching axxle.  I honestly must agree that the deck gains nothing by lynching.  It's just a total crap shoot right now and the chances of lynching another deck member is greater than that of the curse aligned.

Vote: No Lynch
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 15, 2012, 09:57:28 pm »

Not sure I understand why a Day 1 No Lynch here is better than it would be in a standard game.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 15, 2012, 10:09:12 pm »

Not sure I understand why a Day 1 No Lynch here is better than it would be in a standard game.

Let me turn that around on you: what does the Deck gain from a Day 1 Lynch?
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 15, 2012, 10:17:32 pm »

All the normal things. An informational wagon. A (nearly) dead person we hope is Curse-aligned. A sense of accomplishment.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 15, 2012, 10:19:11 pm »

All the normal things. An informational wagon. A (nearly) dead person we hope is Curse-aligned. A sense of accomplishment.

Um, I think "the alignment of the lynchee" is a very very important "normal thing" we don't get from a lynch here.

she/her

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 15, 2012, 10:49:14 pm »

The question jot posed still hasn't been answered.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 15, 2012, 11:08:01 pm »

With everyone having roles, night phases aren't as bad for us as they normally would be - yes, the cursers have roles too, but I think our roles probably equal or outweigh them. And with not getting information from an alignment flip (one of the key reasons lynching town is generally better than no lynch on day one), I think actually a No Lynch, if nobody looks scummy, is probably our best bet.

...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 15, 2012, 11:12:41 pm »

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 16, 2012, 12:18:14 am »

The question jot posed still hasn't been answered.

Sure.

Day 1 Lynching is usually a trade-off for the town.

Just based on the numbers, a lynch with no concrete information is going to wind up far more often killing a townsperson than a scumfellow. Not only are there going to be far more town than scum, but also the scum are not likely to bus each other day 1.

What does the town gain, then, from Day 1 wagons? Information. What the alignment of the lynchee is, who was on what wagon, and what the targets of various wagons claimed at L-1 or whatever.

The problem, in this game, is that a Day 1 Lynch doesn't kill anyone, so not only are we unlikely to find the alignment of the lynchee, it makes people less likely to have to claim when they're being wagoned.

All a lynch does in this game is likely hurt the town in exchange for some wagon information. Also, in this game, the scum get stronger the fewer of them there are around, so even that information is less reliable: they're presumably more likely than normal to bus each other.

she/her

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 16, 2012, 12:20:18 am »

Makes sense. Vote: No Lynch

Mainly I have always wanted to actually have a no lynch round  ;D
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 16, 2012, 01:26:21 am »

Vote Count 1-2

shark_bait (1): Axxle
Voltgloss (1): Captain_Frisk

No lynch (5): cayvie, shark_bait, Tables, timchen, Robz888

Not voting (9): Dsell, Eevee, Galzria, Grujah, Insomniac, jotheonah, Lekkit, Voltgloss, yuma

With 16 alive, it takes 9 to lynch.

Lynch deadline: Friday, July 27, 11:59pm MDT
(But this is liable to change.  I won't end it early without some warning.)

Point Counter Extension 1.2

0 - Axxle
0 - Captain_Frisk
0 - cayvie
0 - Dsell
0 - Eevee
0 - Galzria
0 - Grujah
0 - Insomniac
0 - jotheonah
-1 - Lekkit
-1 - Robz888
-1 - shark_bait
0 - Tables
0 - timchen
0 - Voltgloss
0 - yuma

Hmm, probably don't need to repost the PCE when nothing has changed.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 16, 2012, 01:46:30 am »

Woah woah woah. Woah. I'm definitely willing to explore the idea of a no-lynch today, especially because this is role madness and not traditional mafia, but if anything it definitely seems premature to decide to no-lynch already when we have very little information.

It's fine if we decide to not lynch today, it actually might be a good idea. But let's not get a few more votes on there and end the day this soon when there is legitimate information to be gained. I am against a no-lynch for the same reason I'm against a massclaim: because we can't rely on our night actions to save us. Explaining our roles won't necessarily give the deck a clear direction and could actively hurt us, and similarly we can't be sure that our night actions will net us the kind of concrete information needed to make an informed lynch. And if they don't, we will likely be in a worse position tomorrow.

Cayvie points out that all day one lynches have been on town so far, but at least three of those games have been won by the town anyway. It's true that we will not get the alignment information right away, but are we only going to lynch people who have few enough points to be lynchable (obviously this is designed to be easier in later days)? Anyway by not lynching it seems like we put more power into the hands of the curse faction, who presumably have the most ability to do damage at night time.

Ok this is sounding pretty negative, I'm not actually all that opposed to the idea, I just strongly feel that we shouldn't vote to end the day yet.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 16, 2012, 03:47:59 am »

So uh I go V/LA for ONE WEEKEND and you guys decide no lynch is a good idea...like yea everybody has a role and those roles well they're unique if they're anything like mine but no lynching gets us no talk back and forth with scum so we have no idea where to point fingers at scum on the bad wagon. Just seems like a bad idea especially this early in the day we have another WEEK AND A HALF
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 16, 2012, 03:52:40 am »

I don't see you mean that no lynching gets no talk back and forth.

Some people are clearly arguing for and some against it.

There's also going to be a list of people who voted for it, and those who didn't.

she/her

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 16, 2012, 03:56:49 am »

I don't see you mean that no lynching gets no talk back and forth.

Some people are clearly arguing for and some against it.

There's also going to be a list of people who voted for it, and those who didn't.

This is true that people are arguing for and against but not very adamantly the thread is pretty dead considering I didn't have much to read for being V/LA for a weekend. And the information is different, when you scumhunt you get information and scumtells from curse aligned players, while you probably also get some from deck aligned players and well you have to hope that you can use that information effectively along with knowing the role of the deceased player and the places people voted for that person.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 16, 2012, 04:09:48 am »

I am against no-lynch.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 16, 2012, 04:36:11 am »

My town aligned role gets SIGNIFICANTLY worse if we nolynch. I dont know what others have but this has to be one of the stronger roles too.

Definitely against nolynch.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 16, 2012, 04:43:32 am »

My town aligned role gets SIGNIFICANTLY worse if we nolynch. I dont know what others have but this has to be one of the stronger roles too.

This is something scum would say  ;D

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 16, 2012, 05:38:27 am »

This is something scum would say  ;D
Cayvie makes an excellent case. However, I think the fact that deck probably has "day time roles" and scum doesnt, makes lynching look more enticing again? I might be wrong here but eHalc has probably noticed how d.Ds tends to only lynch town on day 1, maybe he did something with the roles to change that.

Something to consider, as I already said, my role gets significantly weaker if I dont get to use it today.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 97  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.