Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 97  All

Author Topic: Role Madness Mafia I GAME OVER, everyone wins sort of!  (Read 233671 times)

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Role Madness Mafia I: Curse You All to Deck!
« Reply #200 on: July 14, 2012, 09:05:38 pm »

Although with role madness, roles will be switching a bit won't they? So perhaps waiting wouldn't be as effective after all, but I still say wait.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 14, 2012, 09:08:05 pm »

Massclaim: No. I've already given reasons. It basically gives the mafia free reign to shoot down town power roles (I'm using power role as a distinct entity from role: Power Role = cop, doctor, other random very powerful roles; role = most other night-beneficial roles. We probably only have 2-3 power roles), while giving the town little useful information. In most role madness, mafia will get some kind of safeclaims - roles which aren't in the game and thus are guaranteed safe. If there aren't, it'd be useful, but I'd wager on those existing. Even if they don't, we might out one scum who can't make a decent claim, but we'll compromise most of the town's position, most likely.

Plus, and here's the clincher, it's less fun (I don't think this bit is a serious argument BTW)
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 14, 2012, 09:12:16 pm »

Plus, and here's the clincher, it's less fun

The mod agrees with this statement. ;)

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 14, 2012, 09:29:05 pm »

Ok - I'm in front of my computer now - but man I am not liking timchen's claim.

#1 - WHY WOULD YOU GIVE UP THE VP?  If he was planning on early claiming anyway - it explains the vp.
#2 - Why claim lynchproof (if you aren't) as town?  There are very few decent reasons to lie as town, usually associated with not wanting to out yourself as power role.  In this game we're all power roles (probably?)
#1: I gave it up when the idea of claiming immediately had not come to me. However, once I had this idea I just couldn't resist, even though it is too late to change my initial action. I think for my ability to work it is best for me to claim.

#2: I agree with you. I probably shouldn't have. It's a bit sour... so +1 VP per turn for myself only? That is the only ability I have? I was also hoping that the unlynchability claim will prevent the town from lynching me once they see my +1 VP ability next day. But apparently I was mistaken; the more likely scenario is that I got lynched first day then the town no longer believes me. Which is what I now try to avoid by retracting that claim immediately.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 14, 2012, 10:01:37 pm »

I'm gonna try to check back in later with a bit more substance, but I want to say that I don't like the idea of massclaiming. Since we don't know what the setup is like it could potentially end up helping the cursers more than us.

I'm pretty confused by timchen! Has he never heard "lynch all liars" before? I don't like that he's setting himself up for a policy lynch, and probably by accident too. But anyway, I need to look over that situation more. Grabbing dinner now.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 14, 2012, 10:08:50 pm »

I'm gonna try to check back in later with a bit more substance, but I want to say that I don't like the idea of massclaiming. Since we don't know what the setup is like it could potentially end up helping the cursers more than us.

I'm pretty confused by timchen! Has he never heard "lynch all liars" before? I don't like that he's setting himself up for a policy lynch, and probably by accident too. But anyway, I need to look over that situation more. Grabbing dinner now.

While I don't like the way Timchen handled that situation, lynching him in a setup that could have basically anything under the sun as a role, I think lynching him for that would be   Monumentally stupid. It very well could be exactly what he wants.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 14, 2012, 10:10:40 pm »

lynching him for that would be   Monumentally stupid

You forgot the "YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!  8)"

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 14, 2012, 10:23:27 pm »

I'm back, just reread everything, have nothing new to add. Massclaim is silly, and the people who want it should be regarded with suspicion.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 14, 2012, 10:28:20 pm »

So everyone in the game has said something since Day 1 started, right?

In that case... no comments on the opening post?  Really?  I wrote you guys a sonnet!  Iambic pentameter and everything!  :'(

(this mod talks too much)

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 14, 2012, 10:36:28 pm »

In that case... no comments on the opening post?  Really?  I wrote you guys a sonnet!  Iambic pentameter and everything!  :'(

First person who complements it gets a +1 VP right?

It was lovely. Thanks for all the hard work you put into it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 14, 2012, 10:41:22 pm »

I honestly considered doing that, but no.

Just wondering if anyone actually read it...  ???

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 14, 2012, 11:08:18 pm »

it's hard out there for a mod.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 14, 2012, 11:29:40 pm »

I honestly considered doing that, but no.

Just wondering if anyone actually read it...  ???

Blame the lack of +1's.  If those were around, you'd have gotten heaps.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2012, 02:50:36 am »

So I have to agree with Galz' most recent post, lynching Timchen would probably be a big mistake. I personally don't like policy lynches because it seems like it distracts from the actual important thing, scumhunting. But I dunno, why would you lie about that? It bothered me. I'm fine with looking past it, at least for now though.

Really confused about Axxle, but it's really interesting! It seems like a very curse-aligned type of thing, giving negative vp for those who vote, but it also seems just too obvious for it to be mafia (curse-aligned? we need a good name for it). So I'm guessing it's either something like a serial killer where he's on his own or he's deck-aligned but able to hurt everyone. On the other hand, it's a WIFOM about whether he would be curse, so maybe he IS curse and it's actually really good protection because nobody will want to vote for him as long as he has that token on him (maybe he gets it at the start of every day for 3 votes or something).

Anyway I'm just throwing stuff out there right now, we really don't have a lot to go on but we'll get there.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 15, 2012, 03:11:37 am »

Has anybody considered Axxle isn't to blame at all? Perhaps someone else is Embargo, and placed their token on Axxle?
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 15, 2012, 04:08:21 am »

Yeah I've thought about it too, and the only thing that sounds reasonable to me is that a curse-aligned player put it there if it wasn't Axxle. I mean, putting it out there with the first lynch as the only probable reason for death wpuld either mean that you're protecting scum or that you want to make others think that you are. Either way it was Grujah who pointed out that it was an Emmbargo token, but the fact that he took pride in it sounds to me like he just guessed.

Also, I think a massclaim would only lead to more confusion istead of insight. But then I'm mainly guessing since I don't have any prior  experience of forum mafia.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 15, 2012, 04:19:13 am »

Has anybody considered Axxle isn't to blame at all? Perhaps someone else is Embargo, and placed their token on Axxle?
I assume this is exactly what happened, since I don't know why I'm embargoed.

It's complete and utter WIFOM though.  Does the Embargo player (actually it's not even certain he's curse aligned) put it on a mafia member or a town member?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 15, 2012, 04:19:35 am »

It's complete and utter WIFOM though.  Does the Embargo player (actually it's not even certain he's curse aligned) put it on a mafia member or a town member?

Eevee, why did you embargo me?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 15, 2012, 04:27:10 am »

I didnt!
There might be some roles that really work better if you dont have to claim, so against massclaiming too. Will be home and have a computer available in 5 hours, wont be very active before that stlil. Not planning on lurking like this for the rest lf the game.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 15, 2012, 04:28:50 am »

I didnt!
There might be some roles that really work better if you dont have to claim, so against massclaiming too. Will be home and have a computer available in 5 hours, wont be very active before that stlil. Not planning on lurking like this for the rest lf the game.
But I really like the idea of someone embargoing axxle, sounds like the most plausible explanation. Kind of curious why that token disappeared though?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 15, 2012, 04:50:06 am »

Unvote for now. We're probably leaving RVS, and while I can still see the claim as being suspicious, it's probably the worst thing to claim as scum.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 15, 2012, 09:45:17 am »

I'm against massclaim, at least at this time.  It seems to benefit Curse more than Deck;  they are more likely to lie, while Deck is more likely to tell the truth, and thus the Curse faction gets more perfect information while the Deck faction is wrestling with WIFOM about who's lying.  It also puts Deck players who may have strong roles in a bind - expose yourself to the Curse team, or risk lynch-all-liars wrath down the line.  Exemplified by CF struggling with my question on the subject.

I still dislike timchen's bizarro unlynchable claim-and-retraction, and his responses to questioning have not allayed my suspicions.  But I agree that lynching him for that now - as in, early in the day - is shooting ourselves in the foot from an information-gathering perspective.  If we start creeping up on the deadline though, and have no other clear lynch candidate, I at least will be revisiting this.

Although with role madness, roles will be switching a bit won't they? So perhaps waiting wouldn't be as effective after all, but I still say wait.

yuma, this comment struck me as weird.  Why do you assume "roles will be switching a bit?"

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 15, 2012, 10:22:10 am »

yuma, this comment struck me as weird.  Why do you assume "roles will be switching a bit?"

Quote from: eHal in the opening page
A word of warning: it is probable that this game will be very... dynamic.  The powers in this game allow for a great deal to change each night.  However, Deck-aligned players will not suddenly become Curse-aligned, nor vice versa.  This is not a Bastard game.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2012, 10:41:46 am »

It says alligements will NOT change.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 15, 2012, 11:00:32 am »

It says alligements will NOT change.

I read my own posts. I know what it said.

I never said anything about alignments changing. But in my previous post that volt is quoting I said that it might be beneficial to wait to mass reveal until after night to see what our roles do to the points.

But if our roles are changed at all--potentially switched with other like-aligned roles--then using the information from night gained points would be less useful. The mod post I quote sure makes it look like there are going to be some changes. This is Mafia Role Madness right?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 97  All

Page created in 2.436 seconds with 15 queries.