Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXXIV: The Game of Thrones Mafia! (Day 2!!)  (Read 118534 times)

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXIV: The Game of Thrones Mafia! Day one start!!
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2013, 05:17:47 pm »

Bulletproof townie claiming POEs our other roles for the Mafia.  I'll say this - if I were Mafia, and I had followed NMIV, I'd purposefully have Faust jumping out of the gate with a BP Townie claim request in hopes of a derpclaim - this gives me one less person to try to shoot, lets me know more about the setup, and people will excuse Faust in particular for the request because of NMIV.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2013, 05:27:15 pm »

Bulletproof townie claiming POEs our other roles for the Mafia.  I'll say this - if I were Mafia, and I had followed NMIV, I'd purposefully have Faust jumping out of the gate with a BP Townie claim request in hopes of a derpclaim - this gives me one less person to try to shoot, lets me know more about the setup, and people will excuse Faust in particular for the request because of NMIV.
But it gives us an IC that won't be killed, which I think outweighs the cons.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2013, 05:38:18 pm »

I guess.  I've not played Matrix6 before, I'd have to read over a few games that included the BP townie to see how things worked out.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2013, 06:54:18 pm »

Hi all!

Beside the Bulletproof issue, what else can we learn from last game?

1. Don't claim VT randomly. This is bad.

2. Don't derphammer. It is sometimes a fine and useful tool for town, but really, hitting the cop wasn't very ideal last time and I don't expect it to be here.

3. Don't autolynch the derphammer if there is one. Actually analyze whether or not the move--hopefully that move won't come about--was scum or town performing it.

4. Don't lurk

As for the Bulletproof issue. I think if the BP is going to claim, claiming day2 is better than claiming day1. Day2 and beyond is where ICs start to become more powerful and there is always the chance that mafia will shoot the bulletproof townie tonight. I am not convinced that the bulletproof townie should claim at all--I'll leave that up to them--but if they ultimately decide to do so, I would suggest doing it Day2.

And with that, perhaps we can talk about something other than this hypothetical that only has a 1/3 chance of existing in the first place.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2013, 11:02:55 pm »

I go away to a Halloween party for the evening and come back to .... ....

Let me re-iterate:

4. Don't lurk

Without ashersky I don't know if we are going to be able to start up this game very well. Ash is quite the figure and whether or not you agree with his playstyle it certainly gets the game going.

In looking over everything I think my biggest (and by biggest I mean it is only a smidgin) is Walrus. His backing off faust seemed a little too easy... Add to that his latest post where he says his suspicions "aren't allayed." If your suspicions aren't allayed Walrus, then why unvote?

vote: Walrus

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2013, 11:04:55 pm »

I think it is very bad to find a player scummy for exploring the strategic theory space of a game. I don't agree with faust but I certainly don't find him scummy for posting a lot at the start. The posts haven't been empty, either.

It certainly does stand out, though. I think I am glad you noticed that.

You think you are glad?

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2013, 11:05:53 pm »

What was your costume?  Does it reveal anything about your alignment?

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2013, 11:07:43 pm »

I like this semi-open setup.  Perhaps the mafia among us know some ways to make people talk?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2013, 11:14:10 pm »

Evil yuma (me with a felt goatee) with evil wife (with a felt goatee) and evil baby (with a felt goatee).

If you have seen season 3 of Community you will get the reference. I don't think it speaks to my alignment that much as we were planning it when I was town in the most recent game so I don't think you can delve too much into my psyche trying to analyze it.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2013, 11:35:29 pm »

Evil yuma (me with a felt goatee) with evil wife (with a felt goatee) and evil baby (with a felt goatee).

If you have seen season 3 of Community you will get the reference. I don't think it speaks to my alignment that much as we were planning it when I was town in the most recent game so I don't think you can delve too much into my psyche trying to analyze it.
Evil yuma? vote: Yuma
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2013, 12:50:06 am »

You think you are glad?

Yes. My silly way of phrasing that it might be a good thing that he was on the lookout for such changes in behavior ie it could be a towntell for Walrus.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2013, 01:19:35 am »

In looking over everything I think my biggest (and by biggest I mean it is only a smidgin) is Walrus. His backing off faust seemed a little too easy... Add to that his latest post where he says his suspicions "aren't allayed." If your suspicions aren't allayed Walrus, then why unvote?

vote: Walrus

After I read through faust's source material I was feeling somewhat appeased, so I unvoted by reflex. But then I thought about it a little more, and posted that qualification right afterward. Part of what I thought about was, hey maybe I should have just kept my vote there, but I shouldn't just revote in the next post because that would look even odder.

However keeping my vote uncasted is not helping move the game, and I guess my best lead is still faust, so I will re-vote: faust. But I see your point Voltaire--I did not mean to find someone scummy for exploring theory. It wasn't the fact that he was doing it, so much as the way that he was doing it and the context which put me on alert. I'm sorry faust if you feel I was stifling you, and I didn't mean to impede the flow of dialogue. Do you think you've been playing more actively than usual? I notice you haven't posted in a while, but you could just be asleep or something.

I agree with yuma that this game does seem super slow. With the lull a couple days ago, and given how quickly this game filled, I assumed that everyone was chompin' at the bit for some Mafia action! What happened to that enthusiasm?

In that vein, many suspicions to lurkers. For some reason, mail-mi in particular struck me as suspicious. I think it's a little odd that he appeared right after ranking low in Voltaire's post count, but even so still hasn't really said anything truly substantial. Yes, your post count is boosted a bit mail-mi, but how about some content. yuma appeared late too but has a baby and actually posted something with some meat IMO, ditto chairs but he has lousy Internet as I recall. So fewer suspicions there.

Robz is Robz. I do wish you'd say something a bit more, Robz!

Without ashersky I don't know if we are going to be able to start up this game very well. Ash is quite the figure and whether or not you agree with his playstyle it certainly gets the game going.

Pffffffffffffffff, that's ridiculous, and you know ash is reading that and gloating to Voltgloss right now. Somebody do the thing that ash does where he starts up a game. yuma you must know how to do it. Honestly Voltaire I was expecting something more out of you...come on, work some magic!

I'm going to bed, but when I wake up I expect to see at least...3 more posts! Minimum!
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2013, 09:15:16 am »

However keeping my vote uncasted is not helping move the game, and I guess my best lead is still faust, so I will re-vote: faust. But I see your point Voltaire--I did not mean to find someone scummy for exploring theory. It wasn't the fact that he was doing it, so much as the way that he was doing it and the context which put me on alert. I'm sorry faust if you feel I was stifling you, and I didn't mean to impede the flow of dialogue. Do you think you've been playing more actively than usual? I notice you haven't posted in a while, but you could just be asleep or something.

Well, I may have been a little more active than usual, if it even makes sense to say something like this on the fourth page of the thread. I also usually post at different times than most others, because of the whole me living in Germany thing.

Generally, I thought this BP topic might be a good way to start discussion. Well, it didn't work out that great. I guess I'm not ashersky.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2013, 10:06:47 am »

A reads post cuz I'm on a bus and heck why not.

1. WalrusMcFishSr--jumping off Faust then getting back on after being called out is a bit suspicious.
2. Chairs--Has differing opinions about theory--SCUM SCUM! Jk null
3. Robz888--vote: robz has like 1 post.
4. Voltaire--seems normal self. Townish
5. Yuma--Dressed up evil for Halloween. Nothing much here, null
6. EFHW--asking lots of questions. Null
7. Mail-Mi--obvtown
8. Eevee--IDK, has been lurking a lot in recent games when town, seems the sameish here. Slightly townish (which prob. means no cuz it's Eevee)
9. Faust--just getting a slightly scummy feel, not much else.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2013, 10:09:29 am »

I'm down to vote: Robz. Showed up, said an obvious thing, left. Anti-town.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2013, 10:20:15 am »

Sorry, I had a very busy day yesterday. Wasn't very active on the forums at all.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2013, 10:54:36 am »

Hi all!

2. Don't derphammer. It is sometimes a fine and useful tool for town, but really, hitting the cop wasn't very ideal last time and I don't expect it to be here.

3. Don't autolynch the derphammer if there is one. Actually analyze whether or not the move--hopefully that move won't come about--was scum or town performing it.

4. Don't lurk

As for the Bulletproof issue. I think if the BP is going to claim, claiming day2 is better than claiming day1. Day2 and beyond is where ICs start to become more powerful and there is always the chance that mafia will shoot the bulletproof townie tonight. I am not convinced that the bulletproof townie should claim at all--I'll leave that up to them--but if they ultimately decide to do so, I would suggest doing it Day2.

And with that, perhaps we can talk about something other than this hypothetical that only has a 1/3 chance of existing in the first place.

I don't like this post. First yuma states some pretty obvious "lessons" from the last game, then does weigh in a little on the BP issue, which is okay in content, but doesn't really lead us anywhere, and ultimately suggests talking about "something else" - but doesn't give any proposal what we should talk about instead. The whole post is a little empty.

Vote: yuma
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2013, 11:25:36 am »

Players who have posted without voting:

Robz888, EFHW, Eevee

These players are a big part of the problem.

Happy with my vote on Robz.

I have already removed two players from my lynch pool today, but I'm not going to tell you who they are (yet)!

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2013, 11:41:45 am »

Hi all!

4. Don't lurk

I don't like this post. First yuma states some pretty obvious "lessons" from the last game, then does weigh in a little on the BP issue, which is okay in content, but doesn't really lead us anywhere, and ultimately suggests talking about "something else" - but doesn't give any proposal what we should talk about instead. The whole post is a little empty.

Vote: yuma

And that is scummy because.....

I think talking about the obvious points is necessary. It was assumed last game--and in Modern Community to an extent--that these obvious points would be taken for granted. I see no reason to critique someone for pointing out the obvious when it is obviousthat not everyone sees it that way.

Sure I don't bring up a topic to move onto. Had to leave to the party, but my very next post (and the very next post in the thread) is scum hunting, yet you choose to ignore that.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2013, 11:43:34 am »

I find myself agreeing with mail-mi *gasp* that both faust and Walrus have been a little scummy so far.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile

Day 1 ends November 4 at 8:00 p.m.

So we have something to think about here. Day ends on a Monday evening. I generally prefer to have soft deadlines before the real deadline, but a soft deadline in this case would be during the weekend... Not ideal as generally you want people online during it. So I am thinking that we don't use a softdeadlne, or if we do, have it be Monday afternoon... around 12:00? I think with only 9 of us that should give us enough time to hash things out if we can't come to an agreement by then, as Mondays are generally pretty active on the forums.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2013, 11:51:37 am »

I find myself agreeing with mail-mi *gasp* that both faust and Walrus have been a little scummy so far.

I kind of agree, but am at least trying to consider the, to coin a phrase, "high posting fallacy" where people who post more look scummier because they have said more things about which to look scummy for.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2013, 11:52:29 am »

and then showed up immediately when talked about

Sorry, I had a very busy day yesterday. Wasn't very active on the forums at all.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2013, 11:53:54 am »

I kind of agree, but am at least trying to consider the, to coin a phrase, "high posting fallacy" where people who post more look scummier because they have said more things about which to look scummy for.

*spoiler alert* One of them is on my "don't lynch" list right now!

As far as the soft deadline goes, is there anything wrong with setting it at 5 PM on Friday? The weekend will be slow/nonexistent, and we can get a lynch through Monday if needed. Given that none of us posted overnight, I think we're all US time zones-ish except for faust?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2013, 11:56:53 am »

and then showed up immediately when talked about

Agreed. Problem is, this scummy behavior (textbook actilurking) is a nulltell for Robz, as he has established a meta of behaving in this anti-town fashion D1.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 14 queries.