Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11  All

Author Topic: Computer and Video Games  (Read 68539 times)

Toolshed113

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Re: Computer and Video Games
« Reply #225 on: December 19, 2012, 04:31:48 pm »
+1

I love Mario games, but for me the Galaxy games are a tad overrated. I still enjoyed them, but I have no desire to replay them or 100% complete them. They didn't have the same... heart, I guess? For my money, Sunshine was infinitely more delightful.

I think I've found the only other person in the world who likes Super Mario Sunshine. What an underrated game that was! The FLUDD-less action segments are by far the most challenging/satisfying a Mario game has been in years. Just don't get me started about those stupid blue coins...

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1560
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 20, 2012, 02:10:44 am »

The FLUDD-less action segments are by far the most challenging/satisfying a Mario game has been in years.
This I agree with completely, but Sunshine was otherwise a step down from Super Mario 64 in pretty much every way. The Galaxy games were a big step up again overall.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 20, 2012, 02:21:04 am »

I loved the Galaxy series, I just didn't care enough to get all the stars and then again with Luigi.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Synthesizer

• Bishop
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 20, 2012, 04:08:54 am »
+1

I'm ridiculously late to the party in this topic.  First, a quick list of games I've seen mentioned in here that I have on my own list of faves (in the order they were mentioned in-thread).
- Civilzation I

Even later to the party :)

Original CIV!!!!! I spent so many hours with that game. In school we had a contest, "finish the game ASAP", on the standard world map, %^ cheat allowed (typing that would reveal the map). Once we managed that easily in BC era, we changed the contest to "Nuke ASAP". We could JUST NOT fire them off BC.
Later Civ games are still awesome, but I never managed to do such ridiculous things. Although I did not spend nearly as much time on those games.

I also LOVED Colonization. I find it a big shame that that has never been re-released in modernized form.

The Advance Wars games have been a huge time-sink for me. Oh, and Death Rally.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 13, 2013, 08:57:40 am »

I decided to try out the closed beta for the new Marvel MMO. It's not too shabby. It's free to play, so the price is right. You can pay money to unlock characters and costumes and stuff. If I read correctly, you could theoretically unlock everything for free. I imagine it requires a lot of grinding or some sort to get to that level.

It has a Diablo-like gameplay. You face hordes of minions. Sometimes a boss character shows up (Venom terrorizing the docks, for example), where you have to team up with other heroes.

The downside is that you can't make your own character. You have to play a Marvel character, so you see a buttload of Iron Man clones running around. For the beta, I quickly "bought" the Rocky Raccoon character because you don't see many of those.

When it comes out, I may play it. It didn't thrill me at first, but I was gradually warming up to it. Closed beta ends later today, so I'm done with it for now. It's supposed to release next month.
A man has no signature

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 17, 2013, 12:56:21 pm »

Oh, and Chips Challenge. I love that game. It certainly is...a challenge.

Woah yes I remember that, brilliant it was

Isn't this game like impossible or did you just never beat it robz? I only remember an Ice level being attempted over the course of multiple years.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 17, 2013, 12:58:36 pm »

I'm a pretty avid Fire Emblem player.

Great games. Radiant Dawn is quite challenging at some points. Like when your sucky team has to fight your epic super buffed team.

I am quite in love with the fire emblem series, I have beaten the two for ds about 20 times each and the gamecube/wii about 10. Fully completeing and leveling in the post game of the ds games is one of the most fun things ever. Running out of all items/money while upgrading stats and having to clear tower levels using only summoners is hilarious.
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 17, 2013, 01:00:13 pm »

Has anyone here played the Dynasty Warriors series? It's my guilty pleasure video game series, because I recognize that they are repetitive and highly flawed, and every subsequent installment after the 5th one has disappointed me with its gaping problems... but I still keep buying them.

Quite a few of the guys I play League with play Dynasty warriors. Aparently the two games cross over alot, they released a zhao yun and a lu bu skin for two of the champions, and tons of people actually knew the reference.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 17, 2013, 01:00:24 pm »

Oh, and Chips Challenge. I love that game. It certainly is...a challenge.

Woah yes I remember that, brilliant it was

Isn't this game like impossible or did you just never beat it robz? I only remember an Ice level being attempted over the course of multiple years.

Yeah the one where there was like an island in the middle and you need to make a bridge out of 800 different blocks... never beat it. Tough game.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 17, 2013, 01:03:05 pm »

I love that game. My brothers and I used to spend whole days taking turns on it, with a lot of backseat driving.

And I have beaten it, though If I'm not mistaken it actually is impossible to play the game from beginning to end, winning every level, because about two thirds through is a level, appropriately titled "Totally Unfair", that can't be won. Fortunately that level gives you a password to access a later level (I believe there are some other level passwords hidden earlier in the game as well) so you can still get to the end.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 17, 2013, 01:06:26 pm »

Yeah, I suppose that is true. There's something extra angry about DOTA, though. I played all sorts of competitive/cooperative games with my friend for years and I never saw him get angry like that. There's something about DOTA that makes everybody feel like they're the best player in the world. It really doesn't help that the difficulty curve is very high and that the game requires a ton of team coordination. It can't be fun to expect teamwork from random public games. My friend wouldn't even apologize for being an ass. "That's just how DOTA is" was his response. F that game.

Revenge is sweet. I kick his ass at Dominion.

Aww, I would suggest League(because I like it more) but truth be told the community is rather poor in both. I have played League for more than 3 years, and I can say while generally I am a very very kind person, after about 2 years of playing I got moderately good at the game and the rage set in. I think it has less to do with thinking your the best but when you get a taste of winning(and winning alot) it becomes extremely frustrating when you lose, you just can't understand why the past 10 games you've won and now you've lost and you begin to get angry at yourself and everyone for any mistake you can find because if you could just correct all the mistakes you could win again. This went on or quite some time until my girlfriend(yes she learned to play so we could enjoy it together) finally blew up at me and explained there's no point in playing just to win, if you njoy the game enjoy it regardless if the screen at the end says victory or defeat. Since then I play to have fun and understand regardless I am playing for my own enjoyment. It has helped a lot and I would suggest talking to your friend if your brave, I know I am a much happier person overall without the unnecessary stress I put on myself.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2013, 01:23:14 pm »

Has anyone here played the Dynasty Warriors series? It's my guilty pleasure video game series, because I recognize that they are repetitive and highly flawed, and every subsequent installment after the 5th one has disappointed me with its gaping problems... but I still keep buying them.

Quite a few of the guys I play League with play Dynasty warriors. Aparently the two games cross over alot, they released a zhao yun and a lu bu skin for two of the champions, and tons of people actually knew the reference.

You know the reference isn't Dynasty Warriors, right? They are characters from Romance of the Three Kingdoms.  :)

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 17, 2013, 01:46:46 pm »
+1

You know the reference isn't Dynasty Warriors, right? They are characters from Romance of the Three Kingdoms.  :)

Trust me, he knows. We own all four volumes of the Romance of The Three Kingdoms in the Soave household.

"Though I am living in the tiger's mouth, I am as steady as the Taishan Mountains." - Zhuge Liang

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #238 on: May 17, 2013, 02:26:26 pm »

That's awesome.  The next time I play LoL with your brother I should spout off ROTK quotes non-stop.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 17, 2013, 02:36:29 pm »

Hope you didnt want to get any work done this afternoon.

http://webccgame.com/?page=play

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 17, 2013, 02:58:42 pm »

That's awesome.  The next time I play LoL with your brother I should spout off ROTK quotes non-stop.

Like Luo Guanzhong himself, my brother is a big Shu fanboy. I'm more of a Wu guy.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #241 on: May 17, 2013, 03:14:32 pm »

Hope you didnt want to get any work done this afternoon.

http://webccgame.com/?page=play

Luckily I got so annoyed with having to repeatedly restart level 2 (from constantly walking in the water accidentally) that I will still be productive this afternoon :)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #242 on: May 17, 2013, 03:25:11 pm »

Luckily Chips Challenge's controls are so much stiffer than I remember that I didn't get past level 10 before getting frustrated.

Nice try
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 17, 2013, 05:38:58 pm »

Great games. Radiant Dawn is quite challenging at some points. Like when your sucky team has to fight your epic super buffed team.

I am quite in love with the fire emblem series, I have beaten the two for ds about 20 times each and the gamecube/wii about 10. Fully completeing and leveling in the post game of the ds games is one of the most fun things ever. Running out of all items/money while upgrading stats and having to clear tower levels using only summoners is hilarious.

The two for DS? You have the Japanese one? Or are you talking about Awakening?

I'm personally not a fan of post-game grinding, especially not in a series like Fire Emblem. But I do love the FE games. I've recently been playing Awakening on 3DS, which I've just completed on Lunatic CLA mode without any grinding... fun stuff. Unfortunately it's done the somewhat common Fire Emblem thing on having a difficulty curve which is basically a playground slide: It gets extremely difficult extremely quickly (culminating at about, oh, chapter 3 of 25ish) as you climb the ladder, but then suddenly you hit the slide and it gets easier and easier as you go.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 17, 2013, 06:04:49 pm »

I'm personally not a fan of post-game grinding, especially not in a series like Fire Emblem. But I do love the FE games. I've recently been playing Awakening on 3DS, which I've just completed on Lunatic CLA mode without any grinding... fun stuff. Unfortunately it's done the somewhat common Fire Emblem thing on having a difficulty curve which is basically a playground slide: It gets extremely difficult extremely quickly (culminating at about, oh, chapter 3 of 25ish) as you climb the ladder, but then suddenly you hit the slide and it gets easier and easier as you go.

Sorry I meant rekka no ken(7) and sacred stones(8). The difficulty curve in Fire Emblem is quite frustrating. I enjoy doing solo or group character runs with a bit of wiggle room to make the game a high difficulty the whole way through.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 17, 2013, 06:06:47 pm »

Why has this not come up before?!?!?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 17, 2013, 06:12:53 pm »

Sorry I meant rekka no ken(7) and sacred stones(8). The difficulty curve in Fire Emblem is quite frustrating. I enjoy doing solo or group character runs with a bit of wiggle room to make the game a high difficulty the whole way through.

Ah, right, the GBA ones. Yeah. I'm actually currently making a simple romhack for Sacred Stones to up the difficulty, since I really enjoy that one but it's a little on the easy side. Basic plan is to increase all enemy growths by 20%, all enemy HP by an additional 5 points and start them all 5 levels higher. So they start with about 8-10 more HP and 2-4 in every other stat, and keep getting stronger. So far it's still too easy though :(. People jokingly call it Fire Ephraim: The Sacred Seth for a reason, I guess...
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 17, 2013, 06:32:18 pm »

Ah, right, the GBA ones. Yeah. I'm actually currently making a simple romhack for Sacred Stones to up the difficulty, since I really enjoy that one but it's a little on the easy side. Basic plan is to increase all enemy growths by 20%, all enemy HP by an additional 5 points and start them all 5 levels higher. So they start with about 8-10 more HP and 2-4 in every other stat, and keep getting stronger. So far it's still too easy though :(. People jokingly call it Fire Ephraim: The Sacred Seth for a reason, I guess...

Ah yes, I almost always confine myself to no use of leaders, it makes it much more difficult due to not having their power and you then have to defend them since they have to be in the battle.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 18, 2013, 01:12:49 am »

I remember my friend playing Rekka no Ken, getting to the end, and failing the Nergal mission over and over. Me and a friend tried to help him, but ended up telling him to play the game all over again. Eliwood was lvl 12 and Lyn was lvl 6. It wasn't easy. And yes, we weren't that good.

A fun anecdote about Sacred Stones. After the game had been out for a month or so, most of the people I knew who played FE had beaten the game, so naturally there was a lot of talking about it. One of the guys said he lost one guy to the final boss. As he said so everyone raised their eyebrows, and basically said "How is that even possible?". The guy responded with "I didn't know he could walk.". Neither did we.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 18, 2013, 01:17:15 am »

I remember my friend playing Rekka no Ken, getting to the end, and failing the Nergal mission over and over. Me and a friend tried to help him, but ended up telling him to play the game all over again. Eliwood was lvl 12 and Lyn was lvl 6. It wasn't easy. And yes, we weren't that good.

A fun anecdote about Sacred Stones. After the game had been out for a month or so, most of the people I knew who played FE had beaten the game, so naturally there was a lot of talking about it. One of the guys said he lost one guy to the final boss. As he said so everyone raised their eyebrows, and basically said "How is that even possible?". The guy responded with "I didn't know he could walk.". Neither did we.

Haha yes, though SS endgame is silly, you just make sure you have never used the dragon stone and she kills everyone in 1 hit gaining a lvl per kill, 20 uses later you have 30 uses as a full level dragon.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11  All

Page created in 2.36 seconds with 22 queries.