Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11  All

Author Topic: Computer and Video Games  (Read 67587 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Computer and Video Games
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2012, 08:31:26 am »

Enhanced/Modernised/Able to fit on a tablet.

With a couple of new quest areas and characters and updated engine.

its out on the PC, but im waiting for it on Ipad before I buy it and can tell you more

But if you were not into it first time (Heathen!!) then probably not enoguh changed for second run through
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2012, 09:34:31 am »

All right, it's official. I hate the Assassin's Creed series. I suffered the first one only because a friend of mine said the second one is so much better. Fine, I can endure a little ennui to get to something interesting. I was so disappointed with the first one that I put the game on hiatus for a few months. When my gamer rage settled (thanks to some very fun Team Fortress 2 and XCom), I started up part 2.

Hey, the gameplay was better. Well, mostly. At least I was able to walk past guards without needing to slow to a crawl. Fighting is still awkward, though, and I found myself leaping at walls during combat. Whatever. I can overcome that with good armor and medicine.

Now I'm at a point where I just can't progress. I guess it's doable, but someone took 20 minutes to get through that. Forget that. It's not worth my time and effort to try to time buttons just right. So now I am shelving that game. That's too bad, because the new PS3 we got came with Assassin's Creed 3. I hate to think we bought the more expensive version just to get a game that I'll probably have to give away. AC2 has been an utter disappointment for me, and it showed such promise. I don't think I can bring myself to play AC3 and risk further disappointment...not to mention I won't know what happened at the end of 2. I guess that kind of letdown really bums me out. I could have been playing Orcs Must Die instead.

You might like these videos:

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2012, 10:28:56 am »

But if you were not into it first time (Heathen!!) then probably not enoguh changed for second run through

Well, Baldur's Gate did come out at a time when I realized that D&D was actually a pretty crummy RPG back then.

Because of my anti-D&D kick, I also missed out on Planescape: Torment when it came out, but I made up for that through GOG.com. Torment was cool by virtue that the D&D rules were thrown out the window for the most part.
A man has no signature

Toolshed113

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2012, 10:42:59 am »

In TP, I liked the Sky dungeon, but Zant and Ganon's respective strongholds were fairly tedious. So I agree with you. The Temple of Time and the Snowpeak Ruins were absolutely the best.

IN SS, there are two more dungeons after the Sandship, and they are both really awesome. The final dungeon is extremely unique.

I'm just now getting around to beating SS, and I have to say the second fire temple was pretty awesome. The Song of the Hero parts were pretty meh, though, with the exception of the Thunder Dragon part. That was fun. I'm really looking forward to the last dungeon which I should be beating tonight.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2012, 03:22:02 pm »

I'm ridiculously late to the party in this topic.  First, a quick list of games I've seen mentioned in here that I have on my own list of faves (in the order they were mentioned in-thread).

- All Phoenix Wright games
- Civilzation I
- Fire Emblem games, esp. the handheld ones (I have the Wii ones but had trouble getting into them - I really should tackle them again)
- Rock Band (Guitar Hero was mentioned, but I'm a Rock Band man.  Especially RB3.  Keyboards, yo.)
- Super Meat Boy
- most Final Fantasies (couldn't get into VIII or XIII; love FFT, FFTA, FFTA2)
- Ultima IV and V
- Professor Layton series

I have both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls but sadly have lacked the time to really delve into them.  Some day I'd like to come back to them.  Perhaps once all occupants of my household are out of diapers.

I have to play Planescape: Torment one of these days. 

Robz, and other Zelda players here:  are you familiar with Zelda Classic?

For all Final Fantasy enthusiasts, I recommend Theatrhythm on the DS. 

Someone mentioned Persona in passing.  I cannot recommend the Shin Megami Tensei series and its spinoffs highly enough.  Persona 4 may be the best RPG on the PS2.  Persona 3 is also terrific, as is Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.  On the DS/3DS, the Devil Survivor games, as well as Strange Journey.

Toolshed113

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2012, 03:30:32 pm »

Someone mentioned Persona in passing.  I cannot recommend the Shin Megami Tensei series and its spinoffs highly enough.  Persona 4 may be the best RPG on the PS2.  Persona 3 is also terrific, as is Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.  On the DS/3DS, the Devil Survivor games, as well as Strange Journey.

I have a Vita and two games: Persona 3 Portable (PSP game) and Persona 4: The Golden.

Theatrhythm was fun for awhile, but got old quick. I am very fond of kick to the pants hard platformers. If you enjoyed Super Meat Boy, I highly recommend Dustforce.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:33:27 pm by Toolshed113 »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2012, 03:33:09 pm »

I had never heard of it. I just looked it up. Woah.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

RichardNixon

• Spy
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2012, 04:14:24 pm »

Has anyone played Jamestown?

You play as Sir Walter Raleigh in his 1619 voyage to the New World (you know, Mars) fighting off the combined forces of the Spaniards and Martians.

Magicka is also pretty great fun, but after spending some time away from it, I'm now too terrible to pick up where I left off.
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure."
~ Dan Quayle

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 05, 2012, 04:19:02 pm »
+1

Has anyone played Jamestown?

You play as Sir Walter Raleigh in his 1619 voyage to the New World (you know, Mars) fighting off the combined forces of the Spaniards and Martians.

Magicka is also pretty great fun, but after spending some time away from it, I'm now too terrible to pick up where I left off.

This is utterly false.

(Sir Walter Raleigh died in 1618.)
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2012, 05:02:37 pm »

I had never heard of it. I just looked it up. Woah.

Pshh, the only true Zelda classic is Wand of Gamelon.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2012, 05:16:14 pm »

Volt: Did you never play Xenogears? I'm currently replaying it (for like, the 10th time) through an emulator on my mobile, but it was hands down the best storied game I ever encountered, and the music... Oh man, I can listen to the CD for hours on end. SO good.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2012, 05:33:20 pm »

Ah, I have distinct memories of experiencing Xenogears during my third year of college.

I enjoyed it very much, even if Disc 2 showed painfully how much they had to rush things (gameplay-wise) at the end.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2012, 07:15:22 am »

I'm currently working on beating Apollo Justice from the Phoenix Wright series, but with the crazy busy life I can only get about 30 mins of playtime in per day. :)

I thought Miles Edgeworth was a fun little spinoff also because of the 3d-ish gameplay.

Edit: I think it's pretty funny to see quite a common denominator across Dominion players and the video games we love. For me they are all light PC or Nintendo (DS or Wii) games as my old gaming PC all but cries when I play Diablo III.

So I started focusing more on lighter puzzle games which don't eat up my poor laptop.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:23:22 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Toolshed113

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2012, 08:32:12 am »

Volt: Did you never play Xenogears? I'm currently replaying it (for like, the 10th time) through an emulator on my mobile, but it was hands down the best storied game I ever encountered, and the music... Oh man, I can listen to the CD for hours on end. SO good.

Xenogears is awesome. Xenosaga is less so. I did receive Xenoblade Chronicles for my birthday, which is supposed to be the best JRPG of this console generation. I've been super pumped to play it.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2012, 08:57:07 am »

You might like these videos:

I do love watching his reviews. He does a great job of capturing those little things that annoy you about a game. Even though I'm an XCom fanboy, his review of XCom was spot on.

The tricky thing about his reviews is that they're terrible reviews to watch if you haven't played the game. If you don't know the game, you're given a bunch of examples of how the game is unintuitive or illogical with a brief conclusion of whether the game was good or not. With enough exposure to his videos, you realize that him choosing the game over a sharp stick in the eye is glowing praise. New viewers probably would wonder if there are any games he likes.

But for those who have already seen the game, his acerbity is very fun to watch. Sadly, I don't play that many video games nowadays so I wouldn't understand most of his videos.

And yeah, I was definitely in favor of shooting Screed 1 out of a cannon. Thank goodness Ubisoft listened to feedback and fixed some of those issues. I'm still surprised that the game got enough praise to warrant a part 2.
A man has no signature

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2012, 09:49:26 am »

Amusingly, I enjoy his videos even though I haven't played 90+% of the games...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 06, 2012, 09:51:16 am »

I recently watched a couple of Angry Video Game Nerd NES reviews.
Man, some of those games were truly horrible! The "Arnold Schwarzenegger" review I found especially amusing.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 06, 2012, 10:15:37 am »

I recently watched a couple of Angry Video Game Nerd NES reviews.
Man, some of those games were truly horrible! The "Arnold Schwarzenegger" review I found especially amusing.

I saw the Angry Nerd's review of Dragon's Lair for the NES. Hilarious. I could totally relate, because I remember playing that POS. I'm not sure I ever got past the drawbridge.

Now, Dragon's Lair on C64 I got past. It was a bit more manageable.

Heh, I am a slave to my childhood. I own Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair II, and Space Ace on DVD so that you could actually play them on a DVD player (but awkwardly since there is a minimum of 2 seconds between moves since some DVD players don't take kindly to button mashing). Then I bought them for the Wii. I even have them for the PC. Each time, I buy them to recapture my childhood, but I'm reminded that they're not really that great of games.

Still, compared to the pixilated wonders of the day, an animated video game was such a big deal, even if it really was just a reflexes-based version of Choose Your Own Adventure, only you still only have one path to take (aside from Space Ace). I still can't believe how much money I spent on those games.

I would seek out a way to relive my Cliff Hanger days, but I guess I can just do that by purchasing the Lupin III anime it borrowed from.
A man has no signature

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 06, 2012, 06:00:22 pm »

For all Final Fantasy enthusiasts, I recommend Theatrhythm on the DS. 
I'm not an FF fan, but I played the demo and I'm considering getting it as I do like a rhythm game (but unless there's a compelling reason to do so, I will probably try to play as many songs on the top difficulty only).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 07, 2012, 03:06:53 am »

My random Video Games Top 10 (that I can think of in 1 minute)

1. Diablo II (PC)
2. Half-Life: Counter-Strike (PC)
3. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
4. Donkey Kong Country series (SNES)
5. GTA Vice City (PC)
6. Monkey Island series (PC)
7. Super Mario series (mostly NES, but also Super Mario World on SNES and Galaxy series on Wii)
8. Max Payne 1 & 2 (PC)
9. Call of Duty (up to, but not including Black Ops, PC)
10. Professor Layton series (DS)

Although it's a top 10, the order is pretty random, I just jotted down whatever I could think of and am pretty sure I've forgotten some great games.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #170 on: December 07, 2012, 07:55:32 am »

My random Video Games Top 10 (that I can think of in 1 minute)

1. Diablo II (PC)
2. Half-Life: Counter-Strike (PC)
3. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
4. Donkey Kong Country series (SNES)
5. GTA Vice City (PC)
6. Monkey Island series (PC)
7. Super Mario series (mostly NES, but also Super Mario World on SNES and Galaxy series on Wii)
8. Max Payne 1 & 2 (PC)
9. Call of Duty (up to, but not including Black Ops, PC)
10. Professor Layton series (DS)

Although it's a top 10, the order is pretty random, I just jotted down whatever I could think of and am pretty sure I've forgotten some great games.

Davio, in 150 words or less*, compare/contrast the virtues or lack thereof of the three GTA 3rd generation games (GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas).

*Actually, you can do more than 150 words, I just threw that in there for funsies.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2012, 08:04:02 am »
+1

Two words: Tony Montana

But that's a bit short, although you're essentially playing Scarface: The Video Game. There's even a scene where you have to defend your mansion in a similar manner.

For me, it's just a preference of setting, I just liked cruising through the Miami-esque background the best of all three games. I enjoyed San Andreas quite a lot and especially Las Venturas, but it didn't quite appeal to me as Vice City did.

Maybe if I can cut San Andreas in half, the order would be:

1. San Andreas (2nd part)
2. Vice City
3. San Andreas (1st part)
4. GTA III

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2012, 08:20:57 am »

Two words: Tony Montana

But that's a bit short, although you're essentially playing Scarface: The Video Game. There's even a scene where you have to defend your mansion in a similar manner.

For me, it's just a preference of setting, I just liked cruising through the Miami-esque background the best of all three games. I enjoyed San Andreas quite a lot and especially Las Venturas, but it didn't quite appeal to me as Vice City did.

Maybe if I can cut San Andreas in half, the order would be:

1. San Andreas (2nd part)
2. Vice City
3. San Andreas (1st part)
4. GTA III

Fair enough!  The reason I asked was because I have played GTAIII all the way through a couple of times (once many years ago, and then again recently in a fit of nostalgia).  I now own San Andreas, Vice City, and GTA IV, so I'm going to be playing those sometime soon and wanted to get some feedback about them.

Thanks!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2012, 08:32:17 am »

Well, it's also a question of which character appeals most to you, I guess.

In Vicy City you play the afore mentioned Tony Montana, but in San Andreas you play this West Coast gangsta from the hood. It took me a while in San Andreas to get used to the character, it's just not a world I'm very familiar or comfortable with, no matter how many rap videos I've seen. Once you're playing for a couple of hours, you realize they're all cartoon characters anyway, so it starts to be pretty hilarious. By the time you've unlocked Las Venturas it stops being a nuisance.

GTAIII was of course very revolutionary, but I've found it a bit pale, for lack of better wording, in contrast to Vice City.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 07, 2012, 09:46:30 am »
+1

The evolution of GTAIII is interesting. With each game, the game play got better. I enjoyed GTAIII when I first played it, but I could never go back to it. It was maddening to do those police mission where I had to constantly drive without seeing where I'm going just so I could shoot the car next to me. I was able to offset that a bit by using the rocket launcher sometimes.

In Vice City, I still had the awkward side-camera shootings, but I had something else to help me out. If I took the unmarked car, then I could keep my wanted level down by visiting Spray and Pay often. I don't believe that Vice City introduced the police motorcycle. At least I don't remember doing that. In San Andreas, those police missions became a lot more open for me when I got to use a motorcycle.

In general, the addition of motorcycles in Vice City was great. It became more than just driving with awkward shooting. You could combine driving with shooting. The full driving-while-shooting experience didn't happen until GTAIV. That was nice, but it also changed how I drive. In GTAIII*, I could make slight adjustments in steering with the mouse while using the keyboard for harder turns. In GTAIV, the mouse doesn't affect steering at all, so I have to rely on keyboard commands.

I totally did not want to like the GTA series. I never played I and II. I wrinkled my nose at III because it sounded like one of those snuff games that'd get adolescents off. It's the same reason I snubbed Postal. But when I watched a friend of mine play, I said, "You know, that looks pretty fun."
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11  All

Page created in 2.261 seconds with 21 queries.