Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11  All

Author Topic: Computer and Video Games  (Read 68549 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Computer and Video Games
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2012, 10:31:16 am »

I'm tempted to get GTA VC for iOS.  I have such fond memories of playing Vice City.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +598
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2012, 11:02:12 am »

For all Final Fantasy enthusiasts, I recommend Theatrhythm on the DS. 
I'm not an FF fan, but I played the demo and I'm considering getting it as I do like a rhythm game (but unless there's a compelling reason to do so, I will probably try to play as many songs on the top difficulty only).

You have to beat each song on lower difficulty to unlock its harder difficulty versions.  So there will be some "easy going" early on, but I didn't mind it - it was helpful to get fully accustomed to the interface.

Toolshed113

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 07, 2012, 01:06:38 pm »

For all Final Fantasy enthusiasts, I recommend Theatrhythm on the DS. 
I'm not an FF fan, but I played the demo and I'm considering getting it as I do like a rhythm game (but unless there's a compelling reason to do so, I will probably try to play as many songs on the top difficulty only).

You have to beat each song on lower difficulty to unlock its harder difficulty versions.  So there will be some "easy going" early on, but I didn't mind it - it was helpful to get fully accustomed to the interface.

It's totally worth it just to listen to "The Man with the Machine Gun" from FF8 over and over and over and....

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 09, 2012, 10:11:06 pm »

I downloaded The Unfinished Swan (for PS3) today from the Playstation Store, and have played about 20 minutes (to the first autosave).  It's starkly beautiful, and a completely new twist on a tried and true mechanic (FPS), though the notion of "shooter" is sort of misleading, as you aren't trying to kill anything, just define your world using a paint gun. It was $15, and I've already gotten $15 worth of value out of it.  It's very easy to play, and the learning curve is about 10 seconds.

The launch trailer is here:

I did download The Unfinished Swan the other day. My wife still has issues with it, but she is engrossed enough that she keeps playing (which she then regrets).

I did notice one thing. When I was into the dark tunnel, I was faced with a creature with multiple red eyes. My question is: Are there spiders in the game? I know I saw a painting of a spider in the opening sequence. I'm hoping there isn't a spider in the rest of the game. My wife is dreadfully arachnophobic, and she won't finish the game if she has to cope with a spider (though if it's a small part, I can get her through it). She's pretty much not playing any Zelda game either.
A man has no signature

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 10, 2012, 12:03:39 am »

I am also deeply arachnophobic. But Twilight Princess is the only one with really, really spidery spiders.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 10, 2012, 12:12:11 am »

Well, answered my own question about spiders in The Unfinished Swan. Found a couple of scenes with spiders lurking in the dark. And it's actually a very unsettling moment in the game where time is indeed a factor. I think I'll probably be completing those two scenes for her. I think those are enough to give her nightmares.
A man has no signature

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 10, 2012, 09:09:25 am »

Well, answered my own question about spiders in The Unfinished Swan. Found a couple of scenes with spiders lurking in the dark. And it's actually a very unsettling moment in the game where time is indeed a factor. I think I'll probably be completing those two scenes for her. I think those are enough to give her nightmares.
Just saw this post and your preceding one on the topic, and I would not have been much help, as it seems you are now much father along than I am.  Did you locate some meclizine for her, to help with the motion sickness?
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 10, 2012, 09:30:18 am »

Just saw this post and your preceding one on the topic, and I would not have been much help, as it seems you are now much father along than I am.  Did you locate some meclizine for her, to help with the motion sickness?

Not yet. She has some medication that she takes for plane trips, but it requires taking an hour beforehand. We don't plan our video-game playing that far in advance, but we may try to arrange for that.

Though I have to say, it was an effective use of spiders in this game. It was very creepy and nerve-wracking. It will not suit my wife at all. If there is anything worse than seeing an actual spider, it's the uncertainty of whether a spider will be lunging at you.
A man has no signature

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 10, 2012, 09:48:06 am »

Not yet. She has some medication that she takes for plane trips, but it requires taking an hour beforehand. We don't plan our video-game playing that far in advance, but we may try to arrange for that.

Though I have to say, it was an effective use of spiders in this game. It was very creepy and nerve-wracking. It will not suit my wife at all. If there is anything worse than seeing an actual spider, it's the uncertainty of whether a spider will be lunging at you.
The directions on my bottle also say take one hour beforehand, but one of the reasons I take this med over the other (Dramamine) is that it works for me even AFTER I'm not feeling well, and I usually get some relief within about half an hour.  YMMV, but I hope that helps.  Disclaimer:  I do not, and never have, worked for the company that makes either product, so I'm not a shill here (nor am I a doctor).
Posting begets posting.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 11, 2012, 08:22:05 am »

Caught this on MSNBC a minute ago.  I know NBC is not the recognized leader in videogaming critique, but I agreed with their award for best art direction this year (if my choices were just those in the clip - I've not played any new videogames this year except Unfinished Swan, which is not "nominated"):

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/in-game/50149806/#50149806

The artwork in the winner (no spoiler here) looked amazing, and was clearly more detailed than the others.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:23:17 am by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Posting begets posting.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 11, 2012, 09:08:03 am »

What are some of your favorite video game memories?

For me it's some early NES games. I grew up in a loving family as the youngest of four and now that I'm a parent myself I understand how tough it must have been and I have the utmost respect for my parents. We didn't have a lot of money, but my parents worked very hard and I never felt that we were missing something.

So one Sinterklaas (like Christmas, but 3 weeks earlier) eve we got a NES and we were all very excited. The games we got with it were Super Mario Bros 2 (one of the more funky ones), Adventure in the Magic Kingdom and some I don't remember. We had a blast! I also have fond memories of going to the video store, renting some NES games and trying to beat them in a week. Games in those days could be pretty unforgiving. Maybe it was the arcade attitude where higher difficulty meant more quarters or something.

Some absolute highlights for me were: Super Spike V-Ball, World Cup, Mega Man 2, Snake Rattle 'n Roll, Double Dragon, Rescue Rangers, Zelda, Castlevania, Duck Tales and many, many others.

What I find pretty amazing is that in those days I didn't understand English quite as well as I do today, but still somehow managed to get pretty far in a lot of language heavy games. It was mostly trial and error and walking to the edge of the screen, but still... And a lot of games were utterly confusing. I remember playing The Goonies, having no clue what to do and going back and forth through the same areas over and over.

As a testament to my old gaming days, I still remember a cheat code for International Superstar Soccer Deluxe for the SNES: R, Up, Down, L, X, B, Left, A, Right, Y would unlock the AllStar teams. That was locked in muscle memory. ;D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 11, 2012, 10:19:48 am »

I remember renting Pac-In-Time and getting completely stuck on a screen where Pac-Man would just walk on, trip on a skateboard, and die, over and over. Forever.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2012, 01:48:09 pm »
+2

Anyone have the pleasure of playing Super Mario RPG for the SNES? I beat that game like once a year. Sometimes I just listen to the soundtrack while I'm playing Dominion or something.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4389
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2012, 02:02:12 pm »
+1

Anyone have the pleasure of playing Super Mario RPG for the SNES? I beat that game like once a year. Sometimes I just listen to the soundtrack while I'm playing Dominion or something.
Great. Game.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 17, 2012, 01:41:14 am »

I got to the final boss and for some reason, I stopped playing.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 17, 2012, 03:43:06 am »

I got to the final boss and for some reason, I stopped playing.
I played it and loved it and I'm not that big of an RPG fan. But they made it fun and the timing of the jumps was an extra funny challenge.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2859
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 17, 2012, 05:03:18 am »

I played Superstar Saga a lot (as in enough to start doing challenge runs of the games), so I've been considering playing Super Mario RPG. Actually, I've liked all the Paper Mario games so far, so I don't know why I haven't tried it sooner.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 17, 2012, 10:13:15 am »

If you gave me a couple hours, I could probably transcribe most of the game script from memory.

I never managed to get the Super Suit, though.

Toolshed113

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 17, 2012, 11:09:42 am »

I've been hoping for years that Geno and Mallow would see the light of day in another game...

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 17, 2012, 11:25:42 am »

I've been hoping for years that Geno and Mallow would see the light of day in another game...

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 17, 2012, 01:36:21 pm »

I played Superstar Saga a lot (as in enough to start doing challenge runs of the games), so I've been considering playing Super Mario RPG. Actually, I've liked all the Paper Mario games so far, so I don't know why I haven't tried it sooner.

I really like the Paper Mario games, too. But you seriously should play Super Mario RPG immediately. It's soooo great.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 17, 2012, 01:38:08 pm »

If you gave me a couple hours, I could probably transcribe most of the game script from memory.

I never managed to get the Super Suit, though.

Walk off the clouds on the southeast side of the town in Nimbus Land...

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 17, 2012, 02:05:56 pm »
+1

That's to get the Lazy Shells. The Super Suit is hitting 100 times with a Super Jump.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 17, 2012, 02:54:05 pm »

That's to get the Lazy Shells. The Super Suit is hitting 100 times with a Super Jump.

Oh! Excuse me, you are completely right. No, I can't get the Super Suit either. And I managed a LOT of jumps once.

Another thing I always fail to get is the hidden Treasure Box in the corridor of Mushroom Kingdom Castle. You can only get it the first time you go in, because Toad runs straight down the hall and you have to jump on his head and hit the hidden block just as he passes under it (or so I've read).

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2012, 03:19:42 pm »

Another thing I always fail to get is the hidden Treasure Box in the corridor of Mushroom Kingdom Castle. You can only get it the first time you go in, because Toad runs straight down the hall and you have to jump on his head and hit the hidden block just as he passes under it (or so I've read).

Even worse -- you have to ride on his head, and use him to jump on top of the doorframe into the throne room, then jump from the door frame to hit the invisible chest.

I would always reset if I missed that one, though.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11  All

Page created in 2.356 seconds with 21 queries.