Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (GAME OVER - MAFIA WINS!)  (Read 338287 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (DAY 5 START!)
« Reply #3350 on: July 13, 2012, 04:48:50 pm »

Incidentally I notice both Robz and me refuse to vote. Which clears Robz in my mind. Which is good, because I need to believe he's the doctor for things to make sense (conversely, I believe he needs to believe I'm the doctor, and he's smart enough to know neither of us are going to confirm which is true today).

Well, look at it this way.  If you and Robz don't vote, Frisk gets what he wants.

I'm sure you guys will collectively figure it out.  Or not.  I'll check back in in a few hours.

SFS - I am scum - but in order to lynch mafia - you will need to team up with the serial killer.  Glooble and DSell are super buddy buddy.  They aren't even participating in any realistic possibility that the other is mafia.

Seriously guys - before you lynch me - you really should have a plausible thought on who my partner is.

This last thing is actually the biggest problem. I can't picture who Frisk's partner is, unless it is Dsell, in which case none of this matters anyway.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: July 13, 2012, 04:53:44 pm »

I don't see why anyone couldn't be your partner. And you could even not have a partner.

Robz: Due to my recent revelation, he's a no-go if I'm a townie, and a possibility if I'm doctor. He was the only one seriously protecting you today, and... eh.
Glooble: You were at each other's throats a bit much. Unlikely, but plausible.
DSell: Well, this one would be interesting. You shoot... the Killer? But not Axxle, and Killer gets his kill doc saved. Next night you get blocked and Killer is also doc saved. Hm, probably very unlikely.
SFS: This one seems most reasonable, actually. He wouldn't be blocked, you and O would probably be happy to ask him to play a crazy risk bus, he's been out of the (scummy) spotlight so running a bus is okay for him.

Hmm... it's actually a good point. EVERYTHING is pretty unlikely.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: July 13, 2012, 04:54:45 pm »

Oh man, I bet everyone in the Quicktopic is having a riot at this right now.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: July 13, 2012, 04:55:55 pm »

Robz, you don't think any of the pairings are that likely, right?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: July 13, 2012, 04:58:46 pm »

I really don't understand the logic of shooting Axxle. It seems to hinge on you assuming there was a roleblocker on night 3, when there was nothing to suggest either way. For a potentially marginal benefit to yourself (near guaranteeing the Axxle kill) when you could have shot another person you suspected. Explain night 3 in more detail please.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: July 13, 2012, 04:58:57 pm »

Thank you!

If you had just listened to me a few hours ago - I wouldn't have had to make this outrageous claim.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: July 13, 2012, 04:59:40 pm »

And unfortunately, I need to disappear. Which means, I'll be back in hopefully an hour but maybe two. Robz, I wouldn't blame you for hammering after Frisk answers, but if you don't, I'll consider things once I get back.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: July 13, 2012, 04:59:56 pm »

Frisk: We aren't sorry for making you claim Scum.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: July 13, 2012, 05:13:38 pm »

Ok - remember that I'm a serial killer.  I know hands down that neither Axxle nor DSell is the serial killer.

There are 4 possibilities:

1. Axxle + DSell are mafia:  DSell clearly isn't going to shoot Axxle - so I'll do it for him.  He can claim the kill tomorrow - but I'll know what he did last summer.
2. Axxle is town and DSell is mafia: I didn't like this pairing.  (Axxle voted for himself?!?!?!? WTF) 
There are 2 possibilities here:
   2a. Mafia shoots Axxle:  then only 1 person dies.  This makes DSell look scummy - and then we need to claim to figure out who blocked what.  I wanted massclaims because then I could figure out who needed to die.  I can't have people blocking my kill.
   2b. Mafia shoots someone else:  He is hoping that the serial killer kill also goes through.   This leaves a plausible situation for his roleclaim: Axxle is the serial killer and blocked his kill, and the mafia and SK kills went elsewhere.  The SK kill goes off somewhere else, and the mafia kill hits a 3rd.  Also - if thought that Axxle is the SK - then they didn't want to waste their shot on him - especially if they could have him lynched.
3. Axxle is mafia + DSell is a vig.  No way axxle approves this plan unless he has roleblocking in place.  They will block DSell.  I'll sneak in and get a free mafia kill.  SWEET.  Best news?  2 people die - DSell isn't cleared as SK.
4.  Axxle is town and DSell is a vig - This is extra special dumb (DSells roleclaim is already unlikely (2 oneshot vigs?), Axxle2 voted to have himself shot).  So I waste my kill - but it prevents my nightmare scenario: DSell is cleared as town vig.

Under no circumstances can I allow DSell to have a valid claim.  I didn't believe it, but I couldn't let it work.  As soon as we woke up - I knew that I had been roleblocked.  I was hoping that it was mafia because at least they wouldn't claim it.

I truly believed that Axxle2 was mafia - and that the only way he was going to survive was having roleblocking.  I wasn't sure on DSell. 

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: July 13, 2012, 05:24:34 pm »

Frisk: We aren't sorry for making you claim Scum.

You should be thankful.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: July 13, 2012, 05:37:26 pm »

All right guys - I'm out for the night - date night with the wife.  I'll answer any questions about serial killing most likely tomorrow morning.  I'm going to try really hard not to read the phone tonight.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: July 13, 2012, 05:40:11 pm »

Robz, you don't think any of the pairings are that likely, right?

No, I don't. I just don't see it. Frisk and Dsell, I guess, but then they've gone to a lot of trouble to shift the kill from one to the other, with no benefit.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: July 13, 2012, 07:22:05 pm »

If frisk was serial killer he would have shot me night 3. I wanted to shoot him over Axxle. If he didn't shoot me night 3 he would have shot me night 4. The only thing keeping him from doing that is the fear that I'm bulletproof, I'd wager.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: July 13, 2012, 07:48:59 pm »

Alright, I've thought a bit, and... Frisk's arguments are good, but they just aren't convincing enough. Vote: Frisk

There's a few factors that play in here: Firstly, shooting Axxle really doesn't seem the best choice for serial killer. Yes, at that point he was likely scum, but why potentially waste your kill? DSell seems so so much better - he's not going to be protected by doctor, if he's scum, scum gets shot, if he's town, well if his kill went through he's dead anyway. Clear but dead. If it didn't, Axxle dies the next day anyway, not a big loss to the SK. Secondly, by claiming SK, you revoked any ability to win the game. Best case scenario tomorrow would be 1 SK 1 Mafia 1 Town, and the Mafia and Town would insta lynch you as neither could do any better. You're either lying or not playing to your wincon. In the second, you deserve to get lynched, and in the first, I want you lynched. And you're a smart player... I'm reasonably confident it's the first.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: July 13, 2012, 07:50:04 pm »

And please don't let that be the post which dooms the longest thread in F:DS. Still, if it is, I blame, uh... *rolls dice* Tables for... wait, I need a better system.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: July 13, 2012, 07:52:26 pm »

O and Glooble: WE DID IT!!!

Just kidding. I have no idea what happens now. Gulp.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: July 13, 2012, 07:53:06 pm »

I don't blame you for the vote, Tables. I think you're right that Frisk's is the less believable claim. Dear Lord I hope so.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: July 13, 2012, 08:15:51 pm »

I'm actually cautiously optimistic there are only two mafia. That would put us in a decent position for tomorrow.

Volt: Will we find out if we eliminate the mafia faction in the, uh, plausible case there's a SK?

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: July 13, 2012, 08:19:24 pm »

Alright, I've thought a bit, and... Frisk's arguments are good, but they just aren't convincing enough. Vote: Frisk

There's a few factors that play in here: Firstly, shooting Axxle really doesn't seem the best choice for serial killer. Yes, at that point he was likely scum, but why potentially waste your kill? DSell seems so so much better - he's not going to be protected by doctor, if he's scum, scum gets shot, if he's town, well if his kill went through he's dead anyway. Clear but dead. If it didn't, Axxle dies the next day anyway, not a big loss to the SK. Secondly, by claiming SK, you revoked any ability to win the game. Best case scenario tomorrow would be 1 SK 1 Mafia 1 Town, and the Mafia and Town would insta lynch you as neither could do any better. You're either lying or not playing to your wincon. In the second, you deserve to get lynched, and in the first, I want you lynched. And you're a smart player... I'm reasonably confident it's the first.
So that's the hammer? Frisk is gone?
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: July 13, 2012, 08:24:02 pm »

That was certainly the intent. Unless the last votal was wrong?

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: July 13, 2012, 08:26:52 pm »

With tensions running at their peak, the Estate dwellers grab Captain Frisk and hustle him out into the Courtyard.  Dsell bound his arms while SwitchedFromStarcraft and Glooble piled up a pyre of kindling.  Tables tossed in Captain Frisk, along with a torch.

FWOOOSH

When the flames died down, a great charred crater remained.  Inside was a dapper gentleman in a business suit.  He was holding a soot-blackened head, still vaguely recognizable as Captain Frisk's.

He grinned at those assembled.  "Please allow me to introduce myself.  I'm a man of wealth... and taste."

And he ate Frisk's head.

Licking his chops:  "I've been waiting for that tainted soul for decades.  Oh sure, the corpses he left in my name were delicious all the same... but when one such as me gets to dine on a dedicated servant, well, there's nothing quite so delicious as the irony."

And with a wink, and blast of flame, the devil was gone.

And all the lights went out.

Vote Count 5-5

Captain_Frisk (4): Dsell, SwitchedFromStarcraft, Glooble, Tables
Dsell (1): Captain_Frisk

Not voting {1}: Robz888

Captain Frisk has been lynched.  He was a Witch {Serial Killer}.

Night 5 has begun.
  Commands are due in 48 hours, by 8:30 p.m. EDT, Sunday, July 15.  If I receive all commands before the deadline, Day 6 will start early.

This thread is now LOCKED.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (NIGHT 5 START!)
« Reply #3371 on: July 14, 2012, 09:43:49 am »

The lights snapped on.

Robz888 lay on the ground, his head neatly severed.  Dsell stood over him, holding a bloody knife and a nonchalant look.

Tables gasped and started to dash forward, but promptly fell on his face and knocked himself out.  Apparently someone had tied his shoelaces together during the night.

Another Estate dweller walked over to Dsell, turned, and faced the others.  In one hand, the portcullis key.  In the other, a hand crossbow leveled at SwitchedFromStarcraft. 

It was Glooble.  He spoke.

"It's certainly been fun playing with you all.  Now, there's nothing to prevent us from taking over the Town.  As a reward for surviving to the end, you two get to live.  Well... for as long as the Feasts here hold out, anyway."

The Mafia unlocked the portcullis, departed, locked it again, and tossed the key in the Estate Moat.  SwitchedFromStarcraft could only watch in rage while Tables groaned, holding his head.

Dsell and Glooble grinned and waved.  Then turned, smiled at each other, and walked off into their new Town.

Outside these Estate Walls.

The Game Is Over.  Mafia Wins!

Role assignments, night actions, and quicktopic links coming up in next post.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (GAME OVER - MAFIA WINS!)
« Reply #3372 on: July 14, 2012, 09:50:45 am »

Role assignments:

- Mafia Thief: Glooble
- Mafia Goons: Dsell, O
- Witch: Captain_Frisk
- Town Chaplain: Tables
- Town Spy: SwitchedFromStarcraft
- Town Woodcutter: Grujah
- Town Village Idiot: Theorel
- Town Vanillas: Galzria, Insomniac, Robz888, Axxle1, popsofctown, jotheonah, Green Opal/Axxle2

Links to the quicktopics:

- Spectator Discussion:  http://www.quicktopic.com/47/H/BnQswvjc2Hzu
- Mafia Discussion:  http://www.quicktopic.com/47/H/m6wsn9rK5HF

These are really excellent discussion threads.  Both of them.  I strongly encourage EVERY f:DS Mafia player to read both of those threads, start to finish, EVEN IF you didn't follow M-IV along the way.  The level of discourse, analysis, and debate is the highest I've seen yet related to any Mafia game.  Enormous props to ALL participants.

List of all night actions:

Night 1
- Tables protects Galzria
- SwitchedFromStarcraft investigates Tables

- Glooble roleblocks Robz888
- O kills Insomniac

- Captain_Frisk kills Theorel

Night 2
- Tables protects SwitchedFromStarcraft
- Glooble roleblocks SwitchedFromStarcraft
- Dsell kills Grujah

- Captain_Frisk kills Galzria

Night 3
- Glooble roleblocks Captain_Frisk
- Dsell kills SwitchedFromStarcraft

- Captain_Frisk kills Axxle

Night 4
- Glooble roleblocks Captain_Frisk
- Dsell kills popsofctown

- Captain_Frisk kills Robz888

Night 5
- Tables protects Dsell
- Glooble roleblocks Tables
- Dsell kills Robz888

Grujah never used his one-shot nightkill.

Pre-game, Captain_Frisk chose Investigation Immunity.  (Amusingly, he was never investigated NOR was he ever nightkill targeted.)

This game was a blast to run.  Thank you all so much - I really enjoyed it, and I hope you all did too!

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (NIGHT 5 START!)
« Reply #3373 on: July 14, 2012, 09:52:09 am »

You guys suck.
Dsell made an impossible claim.
If anyone actually took some time and went through mafiascum, they would see that used setup was C9++.
Or just check my FIRST post D2, after some of the info could be gathered,
they would find out what the setup was:

Very quick pre-exam post:

I'm pretty sure Theo is Witch kill,trying to weed out competition; no real need for mafia to kill him, many people though of him scummy. Though it is possible to be overeager Vig, as if I were Vig, Theo really was on top of my list for NK. Only reason I see for theo dieing if he was "on to them" but... Will need to review post of both of them now.

Also Theo being Village Idiot probably means no Masons, (considering this is most likely C9++).

So, why aren't Galz/C_F dead yet? I expected them dieing? Maybe Mobs want them starting similar, wrong lynches?  ::) ;D

It was impossible for me and Dsell to both be Woodcutters.

I got so outraged. And only if I survived, I even had a breadcrum post so I could counterclaim easily:
Grujah ("derp not bandwagoning townies is a scumtell")

Well, it seems not aging with you is scummy as well. Ok, it might be a honest townie scumhunting on its own, not caring for "big mouth" players. OTOH, it might be a easy way to feign activity and still be clear when a misslynch happens. Definately a way to lurk without actually lurking. Could it be either of those? Undoubtedly, yes. Thing is, it seems to be a patterned behavior. That on its own is scummy. Easy to do and call it a playstyle. Really, just a thing I picked up, though it might be worth mentioning. I scimmed through some mafiascum games actually, and this actually isn't that uncommon mafia (or I had a really small sample). Kinda weird you got a bit jumpy there.

Good play by mobs, especially Dsell. Glooble was on edge most of the time, but did well do.
Frisk - we (at QT) were even sure you were town and that you were softclaiming roleblocker the whole time.  >:(

Tables was doc?

At least the game is over so we can discuss it in other games.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (GAME OVER - MAFIA WINS!)
« Reply #3374 on: July 14, 2012, 09:53:29 am »

Also,
You can see from QT, my Shootlist for D2 was:
Galzria
Frisk
Dsell

I though Dsell was SK. As the night ended I ALMOST shot Frisk but decided against it later. Such a bad decision.

Edit: And when I died after saying that I think he was SK, and theo also died night before after suspecting Dsell, I was like 90% he was SK. Guess I was wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.