Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139]  All

Author Topic: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (GAME OVER - MAFIA WINS!)  (Read 334636 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (GAME OVER - MAFIA WINS!)
« Reply #3450 on: July 15, 2012, 12:26:46 am »

I wouldn't have re-claimed "actually-full-vig" except as an act of desperation.

So were you actually planning to ride out the game without ever using your NK again, or were you going to use it and act as confused as everyone else?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: July 15, 2012, 12:39:26 am »

So were you actually planning to ride out the game without ever using your NK again, or were you going to use it and act as confused as everyone else?

I believe he said in the QT he would've shot again.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: July 15, 2012, 12:44:50 am »

I believe he said in the QT he would've shot again.

Hum, I read the QT but that was quite a while ago now.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: July 15, 2012, 01:43:21 am »

I'm super sad that everyone in the QT knew that I had to be mafia from my roleclaim. :(

But I'm super happy that everyone still in the game bought it for just long enough. ;D

Really I knew you were scum, I just thought you were Serial Killer instead of mafia. But that's too your credit as well.

O, my Day 2 theory wasn't sooo wrong. Every scum person except Dsell was indeed on both the Axxle1 wagon and the Grujah wagon. So I don't think my theory was "batshit" anything.

That's not to say I followed up my awesome Day 2 with anything resembling good play. I think I had things figured out at last in the end, but the problem was I didn't trust myself anymore after Jo and Axxle flipped town. And Tables and SFS were so sure on Frisk, I couldn't really tell them they were wrong. And I had realized that the harder I argued it, the more I was coming off as Frisk's scum partner. And I just didn't know. I thought Dsell was the SK> I should have gunned for Glooble. I forgot about my Day 2 case against him. Gar, so many mistakes.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: July 15, 2012, 02:32:30 am »

I juuuust finished the QT.

Yeah I was super duper scummy, I knew I was pretty obvious (it was by design day 5) but I think I did pretty well just throwing mud on things. A couple of times, Robz was just dominating the town and getting a little too close to the truth, so I went and I tried to discredit him (calling him out as SK, then as mafia last day). I gave lots of solutions to things that sorta seemed to make sense but really didn't. I made a couple probable mistakes that ended up helping out by setting up WIFOMs later (not killing Axxle) but there was so much confusion and very few satisfactory solutions that adding to the confusion wasn't all THAT hard.

For all you sitting in the QT ivory tower: First, we made good decisions killing you ;) (and got lucky with some of C_F's kills too!), but what I really want to say is that it's not hard to come to a consensus when all of the input you're hearing is from confirmed objective sources. In the midst of the game, you can make the most well-reasoned, objective post and nobody buys it because they just can't trust you, and then you get a few people calling you super suspicious for making that post in the first place. Like Volt said, you have asymmetrical information, and it's tough for both town and mafia in-game.

Another thing that's important to know as mafia is to a) keep around people who say things that help you (which can be tough because people change their tune, ie Robz was more of a nightmare day 5 than I thought he would be based on previous days) and b) you don't have to convince everyone on the forum that you're telling the truth, only people within the game. I certainly would have changed my methods some if the town was a different composition on day 5, but the people wanted me to be SK and I was more than willing to play the part.

Finally, I hope that future (closed set-up) games are not based so rigidly on preset standards that the roles involved can be "solved" in-game. Claiming and causing mass chaos/confusion day 3 was the most satisfying experience in forum mafia for me yet, and it worked out well enough, but it's scary that I could have been outed based on a preset standard. I mean, I would have fought against that idea and maybe could have convinced a few people, but I think that for closed set ups, it just makes sense that an effort should go to making them balanced while still allowing for a lot of lee-way within the possible roles. Just so that if someone makes a claim they can't be auto-lynched because they didn't research the inspiration for the setup to know that their claim is impossible. Basically: the first post should dictate the possibilities in the game, rather than a preset game or standard on mafiascum that some might search for and find but others might not. This is NOT a criticism of Volt, who was a really incredible mod, but it is a suggestion for future games. It aaalso would make the QT more fun to read. ;)
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: July 15, 2012, 08:01:14 am »

I was thinking about laying low for a couple of nights and then using it again. Idk, was sort of playing it by ear.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: July 15, 2012, 04:17:16 pm »

So to continue the question I raised to frisk:

you know axxle is not SK. So the reason you shoot him can only be that you think he is mafia. But dsell is shooting him. So you are playing for the mafia roleblocking dsell, in the case that dsell is really a town vig.

I was wondering why you didn't shoot Dsell. The worst thing can happen (barring that you are blocked) is that axxle survived and dsell flipped town. But if that is the case axxle is probably going to be lynched immediately and confirmed mafia. When you shoot axxle, if he flipped town you then lose a shot, unless you expect dsell shoots elsewhere. But I don't really see a reason for that: either way there will be one kill missing and in the case when mafia dsell shoot axxle he can always claim that the mafia just stop killing to make him suspicious. (Indeed, if he's a vig mafia can do this to buy an extra dsell lynch, not dissimilar to the actual axxle lynch.)

Preedit: I was specifically talking about the analysis you put out when you had a list at some point where you listed different people as probable SKs. Yes it serves very well as a camouflage, but I just can't quite imagine an SK will do so, because he knew already that all this analysis are futile. It's a bit unlike the mafia play where there is a direction they are trying to lead to.

Well - knowing what I know now, I probably should have shot DSell - as his claim was total BS - but I didn't know it at the time.  I (mistakenly) assumed that Axxle was the scummier of the two - because HE VOTED TO HAVE HIMSELF SHOT.  I wanted to hug RobZ when he discussed how angry he was at this development.

Ultimately, it didn't matter because they jailed me accidentally (they actually didn't want to jail the SK)

Oh - and more thinking of this - the one thing i was very careful of was to make sure that I kept the possibility of the SK bulletproof blocking factored into any analysis.  I knew DSell was full of junk after night 3 because i didn't expect the town to have 2 protective roles, and I knew that there was no way that the mafia shot was blocked via my bulletproof.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: July 15, 2012, 08:10:11 pm »

Tables, why did you doctor me night 5?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: July 16, 2012, 12:06:59 am »

Essentially, because it didn't matter. If there were two scum, we were dead as I knew they could block me/kill Robz or vice versa, so no point protecting anyone. If there was only one, it was Glooble. Might as well try and protect the person who he wouldn't have expected to get targeted for lolz.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: July 16, 2012, 03:40:59 am »

I'm not gonna lie on the last day I was hoping CF was a VT and claimed SK to get people to not mislynch, and well after that HE DID claim SK so that made me happy
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: July 16, 2012, 04:28:25 pm »

I'm not gonna lie on the last day I was hoping CF was a VT and claimed SK to get people to not mislynch, and well after that HE DID claim SK so that made me happy

That was one of my thoughts for what to say the next day... but I was thinking of claiming Doctor.  RobZ or Tables would counter claim and we'd have all have a big WIFOM debate.

The more I had to explain about my kills etc. (which was all true) the more I had to concede that I'd be playing for a draw.

Tables!  We could have lived happily ever after!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: July 16, 2012, 04:30:32 pm »

Is Axxle around? I got a bone to pick with Axxle. Twice he didn't do too much to argue against us killing him. Twice! Or did he defend himself ably and I was just blind to it? When he wasn't mafia, after Jo wasn't, I was just so lost at that point.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: July 16, 2012, 04:32:20 pm »

Is Axxle around? I got a bone to pick with Axxle. Twice he didn't do too much to argue against us killing him. Twice! Or did he defend himself ably and I was just blind to it? When he wasn't mafia, after Jo wasn't, I was just so lost at that point.

Seriously - I would have fought so much harder for DSell over Axxle if it wasn't for this. 

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: July 16, 2012, 04:52:59 pm »

I'm not here, please leave a message.

--------------------------------------

I don't know how to defend myself.  It is a flaw that I have.  I take a large responsibility for our loss because of those big mistakes I made.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: July 16, 2012, 04:54:22 pm »

I don't care about your loss.  I want you to take responsibility for MY LOSS.

:)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: July 16, 2012, 05:43:17 pm »

Axxle, why were you so trusting of me? I loved it, but it was unexpected.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: July 16, 2012, 08:25:35 pm »

I don't care about your loss.  I want you to take responsibility for MY LOSS.

:)

You lost when we roleblocked you and noticed that there happened to be a 0 death night..

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: July 17, 2012, 11:07:27 am »

I should probably blanket apologize for my weird behavior this game. Combination of experimentation, RL craziness that was making me not think straight/hard about the game, and then digging myself a hole that got deeper and deeper.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: July 17, 2012, 11:09:30 am »

Robz, why did you insist on vigs rather than SKs? That was pretty bad for the town in several ways.

He/him

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: July 17, 2012, 01:22:17 pm »

Robz, why did you insist on vigs rather than SKs? That was pretty bad for the town in several ways.

Seriously!  I was getting ready for a big mega post on how RobZ was the serial killer because of his crazy theories on this + Galz's read.

Your stupid twin brother messed it all up when he claimed and convinced everyone I was mafia.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: July 17, 2012, 01:24:23 pm »

Seriously!  I was getting ready for a big mega post on how RobZ was the serial killer because of his crazy theories on this + Galz's read.

Your stupid twin brother messed it all up when he claimed and convinced everyone I was mafia.

Uh, well I dropped that theory when it was no longer valid to explain things.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139]  All

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 19 queries.