Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (GAME OVER - MAFIA WINS!)  (Read 338322 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (DAY 2 START!)
« Reply #1350 on: June 12, 2012, 05:56:28 pm »

There's a few suspicions I've got floating around right now. Firstly, I agree with DSell's analysis of the three mid-bandwagoners, and especially, it's made me a lot more suspicious of Pops. My day 1 read of him wasn't good - it was pretty neutral IIRC. But today I've been getting more and more suspicious. I won't regurgitate the reasons DSell gave, but just know I agree with them, and Pops general lack of good justification of his vote now has me worried.

I'm going to try and do this objectively but obviously, I'm slightly biased, so: Pops, why should SFS be more likely protected than me? If his claim is true, then he has no role remaining. He's no better to protect than Joth would be. In fact, his death would confirm to everyone the result he got on me - which while it can't be trusted 100%, is certainly a useful piece of information later on. If his claim is false, considering the way he's played, it seems pretty likely he's mafia rather than lying town, and in that case he can very easily fabricate a claim on any townie, and be correct. But more to the point, SFS hasn't done really anything to convince me he's town, you seem 'convinced' he is yet there's really no evidence of that, and given his claim, objectively, unless there's some very suspicious thing I've done that nobody has pointed out yet, aren't I the one whose a) More likely town and b) Certain to have a role at least as good as his (VT is the worst role, and I at least have that) if I'm town?

Overall, I'm just not happy with Pops' play at the moment. His assertions, such as that SFS is 'obvtown' when it's certainly FAR from obvious feel a lot like he's trying to ram what he believes down our throats without us arguing it. And that's bad. Especially when I don't feel he has a redeeming day 1 to look back at, and I feel reasonably comfortable doing this right now.

Vote: Pops

On another note, I'm pretty suspicious of SFS right now. This cop claim seems like a really good way to draw attention away from one or even two mafiosos, while offering the town almost no helpful information. It's also totally full of holes:
1. If SFS really is an investigative role, why investigate Tables of all people? Better suspects included: jo, who everyone wants to lynch; pops, the subject of the first bandwagon, who's alignment would have been so much more instructive to know (and who has consistantly defended SFS for almost no reason I should add), Galz, who led the bandwagon on a VT, theorel, who hammered it, Grujah, Me for that matter. I could go on, I just think Tables was a really random choice.
2. Why share this information immediately? This makes no sense to me. There was no discussion going about Tables, virtually no chance of him being lynched, and he wasn't even involved in the Axxle lynch. Why did the town need to know immediately that he was town? I don't understand SFS's reasoning here at all and it's bugging me.

But if SFS is mafia, he just made a lot of people trust both him and, potentially, Tables. A bold play, yes, given the high risk of a counterclaim (which we haven't had yet) but definitely worth it if people buy it. SFS, I could use a stronger defense on why you chose to use your night action in such a manner. Right now its looking very scummy to me.

I want to adress this post because of a number of holes it has. Firstly Glooble claimed this was new analysis in post 1316, when if you look back over pages 48-52, you'll see just about every argument Glooble made here was already made, except the SFS-Me pairing. I pointed out it in no way clears SFS, someone (Galz?) pointed out there are better targets for an investigation, LOTS of people have explained about sharing it immediately. So, another rehash of old arguments into something that can't really be called a new one. Not suspicious itself, but not overly helpful. Secondly Switched had already adressed most of the arguments in post 1239 - which Glooble conveniently ignores in his analysis (as this is post 1,300, almost 18 hours later, the 'not seen the post' argument can't really be applied). I mean, he kinda hinted at having seen this post in the penultimate line, but, well what more would you expect? Thirdly, except Pops, I don't think trust of SFS increased much at all. And finally, there's no risk of a counterclaim, as all roles can occur any number of times. Although I'm willing to chalk that up to forgetting the rule, since it is non standard.

In short, I have my two main suspects, and I'll let my vote show which I'm more certain about.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: June 12, 2012, 06:34:50 pm »

We are all over the place today.

I don't to further confirm Galz's SFS/CF/Tables conspiracy, but I think I agree with most of what tables said.

We don't have any examples of pops' play to see if he generally plays like this, but based on the fact that he was comfortable modding Mafia I, I have to assume this isn't his first trip to the rodeo.

I don't like O's continued FOS @ me, particularly the link to SFS, which is so ridiculous that I don't know what to say.  I perceive O to be too good of a player to really come to that conclusion as town.

As for Glooble, I'm softening a bit.  I just went back and read his post history - with the mindset that he was 100% mafia... and all I read is bad reads.  (Assuming that theorel is scum kill, accusing SFS of being mafia).

The only thing that stood out to me was:

Ok, I've officially deliberated this for too long. I'm gonna go with my gut here.

VOTE: AXXLE

Right now I'm feeling 60 - to 70 percent sure he's mafia. Obviously, that's what I'm hoping is true. Even if he comes up town, though, I feel like that will give us a lot good information. Tables' early "I trust Axxle" post, his feud with Galz, his votes on the pops and j bandwagons, etc. If Axxle comes up town, Galz, pops, theorel, and myself will all need to be examined in a new light. I see this making for a much more productive day 2.

J has been acting so suspicious that if we lynch him we learn nothing. Everyone who voted for him has reasons that are hard to argue with.

Still, and I hate to sound like a broken record, I don't believe j is mafia. I don't think he would play scum in such a light-hearted, cavalier way. It doesn't match up with anything I know about him. It matches up pretty well with him telling the truth about transparency and not watching his words because he has nothing to hide.

@Insomniac: I'm trying to use more line breaks. How's this?

Emphasis mine.  I'm not sure why J and I were excluded from the list, as we were on the wagon at the time of this vote, and theorel had unvoted from Axxle 2 and a half days earlier.  If theorel was still alive and not town, this would make me suspicious.  Instead, it just looks like he wasn't thinking things through.

Bah... Unvote
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: June 12, 2012, 08:27:01 pm »

Jeez, all out of a sudden, 3 pages worth of content. Will try to sort through these things soon.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: June 12, 2012, 09:17:43 pm »

If my vote on C_F seems poorly justified, it's because I don't see any obvscum here and am just poking at the best I've got. 

Re: SFS - I tried explaining to you guys why SFS is obvtown, so I already appealed to logic.  So yes, now I am trying to ram SFS=innocent child down your throats by force.

I've made it so you guys have little (correct and rational) choice but to leave him be.  Either I'm town with more experience than everyone else combined (possibly.  It might be a close call I guess) who has a strong townread on SFS, or I'm scum pointing out an innocent player to try to get town cred.  That I'm scum trying to clear a scum teammate should be dismissed out of hand - it's never good play to strongly defend a teammate as scum, when you die, he dies too.  It would be WIFOM, but then it never is in practice because if you talk about another player's townie qualities extensively, his real relationship with you is going to poke through.  So it's simply never done, unless the plan is to keep both scums alive until the game ends.  And since I'm the most likely lynch of the day, that is not plausible.

Re: doc direction - I said that before SFS made it abundantly and transparently clear that he no longer has any cop shots.  I thought - perhaps "dreamed" is a better verb - that he would be sly enough to claim 1-shot when he was actually a full cop.  Now, yeah, you're a better protection target.  SFS is still inno child though.  Probably 70/30 Tables/SFS. 

I'm actually more sure that SFS is town than that Tables is town.  He could be godfather.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: June 12, 2012, 09:19:34 pm »

ugh C_F is seeming really reasonable bah, unvote (didn't read his last post till now)

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: June 12, 2012, 09:32:48 pm »

Galzria, how do you suppose it happened that you misread Axxle so badly Day 1? You seemed quite sure he was scum.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: June 12, 2012, 09:35:42 pm »

Galzria, how do you suppose it happened that you misread Axxle so badly Day 1? You seemed quite sure he was scum.

No, I was more sure than I was on anybody else, which was as good as I was going get. If you need to see the case I made again, it's in post #760. I don't feel my case was wrong, just the outcome.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: June 12, 2012, 09:38:42 pm »

That seems ... an odd statement. Rather like "I don't think my math was bad, I just think I got the wrong answer"
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: June 12, 2012, 09:40:19 pm »

It was more like: I put everything on black instead of Red 14
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: June 12, 2012, 09:41:14 pm »

Vote Count 2-4

jotheonah (2): Galzria, Dsell
Galzria (1): jotheonah
Captain_Frisk (1): O
popsofctown (1): Tables

Not voting {7}: Robz888, Glooble, Grujah, SwitchedFromStarcraft, Axxle, Captain_Frisk, popsofctown

With 12 alive, it takes 7 to lynch

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #1360 on: June 12, 2012, 09:42:52 pm »

Went back and reread 1239. I'm less suspicious of SFS now, but still think clearing him out of hand is dumb. Pops's argument in 1353 does make sense to me, though, so I'll leave my conspiracy theory behind until something comes along that makes it seem more likely.

It might be a while before I have time to get on and post substantively. I'm likely going to be away from a computer for all of tomorrow (might have like an hour around 3 to read and catch up, but likely not.) Just thought I'd let you all know.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: June 12, 2012, 09:45:04 pm »

Not like Roullette.  It is like he's saying he went all in before the River with pocket Kings and a King because only one card off the River could make a straight possible - and it did.

I hate poker.  No offense SFS

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: June 12, 2012, 09:49:21 pm »

That seems ... an odd statement. Rather like "I don't think my math was bad, I just think I got the wrong answer"

At least I had a reason. You seen well and fine to forget your "anybody but me!" vote.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: June 12, 2012, 09:55:54 pm »

Some thoughts:

I also think SFS is obv town.  He just plays differently than most would.  He's playing incredibly consistently and I always feel like he has the best intentions even if the outcome isn't helpful and even hurtful at times.  I think if he was mafia he'd give off more standard tells.  It would have been very easy for him to just lurk for example.

glooble still bothers me for some reason.

This J/Galz exchange reminds me a bit too much of the Axxle1/Galz exchange.

Looking back through the archives, this jumps out at me:

[Theorel] 1) Misrepresented Robz and 2) covered himself in his vote for Axxle

Alright, I reviewed Axxle's posts.  I'm no more confident than before, but no less suspicious.  Axxle played straight-faced right to the end of MI...and he was obviously mafia with no way out.  I don't really expect anything different from him this time.  I think this is a town-wagon, regardless of Axxle's role which makes me feel way better about the vote than I would otherwise.  The discussion in here has already pretty much died.  It feels like people are just waiting for Axxle to drop.  I'm really glad Axxle weighed in before his death, I'm glad Tables and Grujah both said something.  I guess this is where I pull the trigger...feels weird.

Vote: Axxle

Good night everybody.  Hope to see you in the morning.

I'm actually more curious about O's lack of mentioning this than suspicion on Theorel himself.  What do you think about Theorel at the moment O?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: June 12, 2012, 10:02:59 pm »

At least I had a reason. You seen well and fine to forget your "anybody but me!" vote.

Well no one's asked why I voted Axxle1. Nobody seems to care.

The fact is I can't figure out this damn town. I have this expectation that the scum will be pulling the strings. But a lot of times it feels like no strings are being pulled. And when they are they don't seem to lead back to as scummy people as I would think. So maybe we're looking at a different breed of scum here. Lurky scum. Or maybe it's you (Galz).

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: June 12, 2012, 10:07:03 pm »

@Axxle2

The difference here, is I felt I had a *mafia* read on Axxle1, and asked the town to consider my arguments. With J, he just reads *scum* to me, and I fully recognize that he could be town, so am NOT actively trying to convince others.

I still would rather not be arguing with him, but he's got his little heart set on me ever since I dared to cast a vote on him D2. I can't actively ignore him when he asks me questions, but I really have no inclination to carry on.

Mafia Record:

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: June 12, 2012, 11:12:37 pm »

ugh C_F is seeming really reasonable bah, unvote (didn't read his last post till now)

And your previous post contained more than 1 sentence AND made sense. What the hell is going on day 2?  At least O is still crazy.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: June 13, 2012, 12:14:19 am »

I'm actually more curious about O's lack of mentioning this than suspicion on Theorel himself.  What do you think about Theorel at the moment O?

Erm... I think he's a dead townie.

And CF, I'm not giving SFS a FOS for dogmatically following you. I'm giving him a FOBTS (finger of bad townie suspicion). SFS is obvtown (for now at least, there are no obvtowns in lylo except for confirmed towns by a role claimed cop with 1 mafia left, or similar If-he's-lying-then-he's-the-only-mafia situations).

I find Pops change in vote/behavior interesting, as well as Axxles inane question (gee.. really.. I wonder what *everybody* thinks of a dead townie..)

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: June 13, 2012, 12:20:52 am »

Erm... I think he's a dead townie.
Major self facepalm.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (DAY 2 UNDERWAY)
« Reply #1369 on: June 13, 2012, 01:45:46 am »

Thread so inactive.. we need moar posts, guys! Or at least I do. I'm board and not really many 30+ on iso.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: June 13, 2012, 01:51:22 am »

Vote: Galzria
Vote: Dsell
Vote: Robz888
Vote: Captain_Frisk
Vote: O
Vote: Glooble
Vote: popsofctown
Vote: Tables
Vote: Grujah
Vote: jotheonah
Vote: SwitchedFromStarcraft
Vote: Axxle2
Unvote

Is that enough activity?  :P

This is a very difficult town to gauge.  I don't have very strong reads at all (minus SFS).

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: June 13, 2012, 01:53:06 am »

Vote: Axxle2

OMG he self-voted!!! POLICY LYNCH!!!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: June 13, 2012, 01:57:55 am »

Ah I have no idea. I really don't know what to make of the days' posts. I feel practically identical to how I did yesterday. How can we shake this up, and quick? I leave in a few days.

I guess I am somewhat suspicious of both C_F and pops, so I am curious where those two end up going.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: June 13, 2012, 02:30:10 am »

I keep thinking about Galz and why he isn't dead.  I come up with 3 different reasons:

1) He's mafia.
2) Mafia think we'll lynch him because he spearheaded the Axxle1 case and was wrong.
3) Mafia think he'll spearhead another case and be wrong.
4) Mafia thought he'd be protected

I think that Galz's reasons for lynching Axxle1 were much too strong to be clearly malicious. And look how much the town has just written him off. Only J is really pushing Galz's case at the moment (and badly). So point 2 is very unlikely.
For the purposes of this thought experiment I'll assume point 1 is false too:
If 3 is correct, then maybe mafia haven't been that closely followed by Galz or they think they know the type of player Galz is going to try to lynch.  I think we should focus on lurkers since Galz seems to consider them an afterthought, as much of us do.
If 3 is correct, I don't think mafia would change their playstyles very much, so I would doubt that Robz, Glooble or Tables are mafia.
Not sure where that gets me. 

Well, that's my conspiracy theory of the evening.  Good night.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: June 13, 2012, 02:31:33 am »

I added the 4th reason midway through and forgot to address it or change the first line.  I think it's unlikely that they'd worry about protective roles first day since they don't even know if they exist.  And it might even help them if they could figure that out early.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 20 queries.