Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (GAME OVER - MAFIA WINS!)  (Read 338451 times)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Ok it seems that we all agree that J's VT roleclaim is poor town play.

That leaves us with the always fun wine in front of me debate....

Is J a townie who has snapped under accusation, or a calculating mafia disguising as a snapped townie?

Now that Galz and I are both dead as Vanilla Townies in that other game, a situation which I am more than partially responsible - I am comfortable saying that I am now acutely aware of how easy it is to assume that someone is just too savvy to do something so blatantly crazy - and be 100% wrong.

Who's currently voting:

Green Opal - Hasn't posted a whole lot - admits to lurking.  No read.
Axxle - Pops and Galzria seem to think that he's pretty scummy.  He also very quietly posted in favor of early lynching - #754
Robz888 - This seems early for a RobZ definite vote.  His arguments are the VT roleclaim + J asking if he should self vote.
SwitchedFromStarcraft - I'm not going to start this one up again - but he cast the 6th vote because he wanted to see what would happen
Dsell - I have my suspicions.

People who are on the fence (expressed willingness / interest in voting / suspicion

Pops - expressed willingness to hammer, but is suggesting wait and see
Tables - was in there with 6, but unvoted to keep things less risky I presume

People who (I think) have stated that they believe J to be VT:
O - still sitting on pops
Galzria - suspects Axxle
theorel - posts infrequent by high quality posts
Jotheonah - I'm pretty confident that he belongs in this bucket.
Insomniac

So that leaves 3 others in the "undecided" bucket

Grujah - didn't post much on the subject - seems unconvinced in the "bad play" argument
Glooble - has posted mild suspicions both ways toward the end of yesterday.
Captain_Frisk - reserving judgement

So - I think that sums up the current standings of folks.   Looking it over - I find my position solidifying.  Does anyone feel that I have stated their position incorrectly?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile

Alright, I'm gonna analyze what I can of those voting for jo. 

I'll start assigning % to my suspicion.  You have a default of 20% (since there's about a 1/5 chance of you being scum)

Green Opal: (1st vote)
Aside: Are you a he or a she?  Cause with the young witch avatar I always read your posts as female...anyways I'm gonna use gender-neutral he, because I think the gender-neutral pronouns are stupid (apologies to anyone who likes them, I'm fine with you, just not your pronouns).

He's quiet.  Very little read one way or the other.  Given around a 1/5 chance of being scum, I'm leaning towards not.  First vote on joth strikes me as near-meaningless.  You were fine with things where they were a little while ago (#725), how do you feel about the more recent developments?  Since then he's picked up 3 votes and lost 2.
(this was the first of the "we, townies" arguments that I argued against btw.)
Suspicion: Low (20%)

Galz: (2nd vote, 2nd unvote)
He seems helpful.  I find myself agreeing with most everything he says.  I think he's started up a lot of good discussions, and pushed for a couple bandwagons to gain information.  He's jumped off of bandwagons once he got the "information" he was looking for.  I think he's doing some pretty good and active scumhunting.  Whether in trying to generate theory discussion or in getting bandwagons rolling.  Also, he really seems minimally involved in any of the distracting play when I go through just his posts.  I don't see the "grandstanding" that Tables does.
Suspicion: Lower (15%)

Tables: (3rd vote, 1st unvote)
He's posted sparingly, but tried to get discussion rolling.  His accusation of jo involved the 354 post which called out the "we, townies" wordings...although he was referring to something else.  I don't personally find thinking along the lines of "mafia wants to do X" terribly scummy personally, but it's an argument I can respect.  I already argued the "we townies" point.  I disagree with that side of it...but I find Tables' reasoning sounder than Grujah's own post.  He does lots of analysis in his posts.  He has different opinions from me, but I know his opinions.  And he jumped off the bandwagon.
Suspicion: Low (18%)

Axxle: (4th vote)
His posts read town to me...but his actions (read votes) seem scummy.  Maybe he just really likes to apply pressure though?    He's been as high as 2 votes, but has had 4 total people vote for him over the course of the game.  Unfortunately when he was at 2 was amid a bunch of joke-votes, O wanted his opinion of children and puppies after all.  He really hates vanilla town claims, which is a position I don't understand.  So, all in all, I have trouble identifying whether he's mafia or just a different play-style.
Suspicion: Medium still (40%)

Robz: (5th vote)
I think the Robz Axxle interplay on my first two posts is interesting.  Axxle found the first suspicious the second exonerating, Robz was the opposite.  Now to be fair, I think they were both kind of suspicious, since I hadn't gotten into the swing of things yet, and was slightly frustrated at the thread length (and forum difficulties of the preceding afternoon).  Either mafia feeling out the crowd or town feeling out their own suspicions...probably stuck out to me most for being in the middle of it.  Anyways, moving on since this should really be a more minor point.

He reads townie for most of the thread...which means I'm assuming he just really believes that when people crack their mafia.  I offered some counter arguments (in the form of previously cracking people not being mafia).  As with Axxle, I feel like I just play a different game than Robz, which doesn't mean we have different motivations (or wincons if you like, pops).  So, he's in the same position as Axxle to me, talks town, but uses what I find as "mafia-reasoning" to make his vote.  It's a toss up between them to me.
Suspicion: Medium (40%)

SFS: (6th vote)
Lots of newbishness, some defensiveness, which he sites as defending himself, rather than defensiveness.  I don't see much mafia-like here, except the vote for jo.  "Wanting to see what happens" could be a good reason for a sixth vote (if you think it'll make townies jump ship, or bring a mafia out for vote 7) but disappearing afterwards is bad.  If you really think he's mafia say-so...if you don't you shouldn't be placing a 6th vote and disappearing.
Suspicion: Low-Medium (30%)

Dsell: (7th vote, 6th at the time)
First thing that strikes me, is that he claims to want to take time with the first vote, but he's pushing for jo at 6.  See #203: He wants extra time to comment on debate, rather too much than too little.  I guess he's referring to deadlines here...his position on day1 length seems conflicted though.
He pushed on pops' silence/crypticness but didn't vote for him.  He feels like he wanted the game to stay non-serious (#346)  He goes a little after SFS, a little after me, maybe gonna vote on Pops, feeling it out first?  #658 after the pops-wagon cools down he makes another claim that slower play is better.
He keeps dragging up jo's "I'm mafia" joke.  (#675 is the one where it struck me.  I think he's done it twice before?)
He was definitely a part of pushing the anti-jo based on his reactions.  Maybe starting somewhere around #726.  Robz, and SFS joined the bandwagon then and he joined finally at the end.
#743 he defends his change of position to go ahead and make it a quick-lynch.
#779 continuing his slight change of position from earlier.  using #780 to qualify it?

Well, as should be obvious by my starting to site posts here...I find him to be super-super suspicious.
It looks to me like he's trying to influence town behavior to direct them into lynching targets he "suspects" rather than trying to draw out information.  Could be a false read, but he's definitely comung up scummiest of all the jo voters.
Suspicion: High (~60%)

So, let's see where this one leads:
unvote
vote: DSell

Now to have a look over Capt_Frisk's post.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

@Capt_Frisk: looks good to me.  I think I've made it pretty clear, but I find any quick bandwagons suspicious, and thus find their recipients less-so.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

@Capt_Frisk: looks good to me.  I think I've made it pretty clear, but I find any quick bandwagons suspicious, and thus find their recipients less-so.

Thanks.  I find it funny that we were both banging out monster posts at the same time, although clearly you spent more time on yours than I did on mine.  Churning through 800 comments is actually real work - I probably could have played 3 games of dominion.  I decided that I didn't need to site specific posts most of the time, and could go back and find them if someone got defensive, which then of course something interesting as well.

I'd really like to fix some typos though!

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

Yeah, I guess this is the third time citing posts for me.  One of them was a direct challenge, the other two were both a "my intuition seems off from what I expect".  I really didn't expect DSell to be scummy when I started, so I felt like I had to keep reconfirming that it was happening.  And then, since I was already doing that for myself, I figured I'd just jot down the post numbers at the same time.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

ah, typos...yeah, I'd like to fix those.  although I think "when people crack their mafia" is funny...like some people sitting around a fireplace, cracking some mafia.  ;D

When I started doing forum roleplaying I got into the habit of posting-then-editing.  I used to always use preview, and reread before I posted, even on forums.  Now I've gone so bad that I click send on emails, and go "oops, where's the edit button?"  Is this what it's like for the spell-check generation?

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Yeah, I guess this is the third time citing posts for me.  One of them was a direct challenge, the other two were both a "my intuition seems off from what I expect".  I really didn't expect DSell to be scummy when I started, so I felt like I had to keep reconfirming that it was happening.  And then, since I was already doing that for myself, I figured I'd just jot down the post numbers at the same time.

Be careful about DSell - O might call you a bad town for suspecting him, but I was happy to see someone else come to the same conclusion. 

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

STARTED IMMEDIATELY AFTER I READ #800

CF - I feel you stated my position correctly, and I got my answer.  What happened immediately when we got to 6 votes was that Tables took us back to 5 by unvoting.

@All - I would like opinions on the thoughts expressed by Galz in #760 (p31).  His (specific-to-that-post) idea about Axxle hasn't seemed to generate as much comment as I might have expected.

To come back to a now somewhat dated topic: I took Jo's (supposed) "screw up" in #703 a completely different way:  When he said "Given how hilariously I've blundered everything up, is a self-vote for me at this point a pro-town move in your eyes?", the question was specifically directed at Pops. I took this as an effort to draw out Pops on whether he would consider a hypothetical (and future) game decision as pro-town or not. Part of the reason I took it that was was because he started out so archly - I didn't read his "self-deprecation" as self-deprecation at all, but more like a "ok you mighty mafia-the-game expert, let me pin your ears back on this specific concept" that had some heat behind it.  I don't know how it morphed to "I'm gonna vote for myself".  Maybe I missed something.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

...SFS: (6th vote)
Lots of newbishness, some defensiveness, which he sites as defending himself, rather than defensiveness.  I don't see much mafia-like here, except the vote for jo.  "Wanting to see what happens" could be a good reason for a sixth vote (if you think it'll make townies jump ship, or bring a mafia out for vote 7) but disappearing afterwards is bad.  If you really think he's mafia say-so...if you don't you shouldn't be placing a 6th vote and disappearing.
Suspicion: Low-Medium (30%)...
(emphasis mine)

Noted.  I can see how that is anti-town if I'm not certain that Jo is mafia, and I'm not certain that he is.  My reasoning was exactly as I stated, to see what would happen. And for the record, I was still online to see Tables unvote.
Posting begets posting.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile

I will point out, for what it's worth, that in the long storied history of F.DS Mafia, two players have self-voted. Both those players were town, and both those players died that day. So, the historical record says it's NOT a mafia move and that it's not a good strategy for staying alive.

I sort of slid into lurking mode because the town seemed more productive without me around, and I have a lot of pages to catch up on (I skimmed it when I got home last night, but I was drunk-ish so it didn't really stick). No one's really seemed to notice, so I'm probably going to go on lurking today unless someone has a particular question for me.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile

I am feeling an increasing town vibe from theorel.  Just look at all that original analysis.  Insane.

@J: Morgrim self voted to kill himself.  Of course that's not a mafia move.  And if he was doing so to try to save himself (some people tried to unvote) it might have actually worked.  I forget who was the second who self voted, can you remind me?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

I am feeling an increasing town vibe from theorel.  Just look at all that original analysis.  Insane.

@J: Morgrim self voted to kill himself.  Of course that's not a mafia move.  And if he was doing so to try to save himself (some people tried to unvote) it might have actually worked.  I forget who was the second who self voted, can you remind me?

Galzria in M3.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

@SFS:
You're right, I apologize for mis-characterizing you.  Obviously you saw Tables unvote, since you asked him why he didn't want to be at 6.  But as I typed the summary I forgot.  I didn't review since you were still under Axxle and Robz as far as likelihood of mafia.  Thanks for the correction:
I officially only find you as suspicious as a vote 5 with that reasoning.  (since you did leave at some point I'm guessing and the votes been pretty steady at 5) (SFS drops to 27%).

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

given the two replies between...I think something should be said re: jotheonah cracked which gave us info:

I disagree...and I will site: Day 1 pressure recipients: TINAS cracked (town), Morgrim cracked (town), Galz cracked (town).  jo cracked...really, you really think that's mafia?

I guess that must be the main difference between us, I see value in the discussion around jo (it's value-rich), you see value in the mad ravings of a nearly dead-man (jo).  Now, he cracked pretty easy, but so did morgrim.  IMO This is EXACTLY what mafia wants. 

So, for all the jo voters, IMO either you're mafia, or you're listening to what they want you to hear.

OK, so this is the fifth-ish use of the word "cracked".  What the hell does it mean in the context of this game?
Posting begets posting.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

He cracked under the pressure and started playing badly, doing things like claiming VT, offering to vote for himself etc.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

OK, so this is the fifth-ish use of the word "cracked".  What the hell does it mean in the context of this game?

Cracked, snapped, went insane.  When someone accuses you - you have a strong reaction to it.  Either you're afraid (because someone is on to you), or you're angry (because someone is wrong on the internet: http://xkcd.com/386/).  Look at how pissed theory was to be lynched on Day 1.

And - naturally, even if its better to be lynched as a vanilla townie than a town PR, we're all playing this game because want to play, and being eliminated is less fun.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

Hmm...there's a few people I haven't commented excessively on (since they haven't been involved in a bandwagon). 
I figured I'd post info about them too (I mean why not, right?)
I haven't reviewed their posts, just going off of general info.

Pops & jo: probably town, as they were getting wagoned. (Supicion 10% each)

Captain_Frisk: leaning town.  He picked out DSell, who I think is likely scum, but a lot rides on how that suspicion plays out.  Suspicion: 15% (0% if DSell is scum, 20% if not)

Glooble: he defended jo (although weakly, offering caveats, probably to protect himself just in case jo turned out mafia).  Honestly I can't see a reason mafia would do this, except I suppose maybe worried about turning a witch?  Suspicion: 10%

And that's everybody commented on by me in one form or another.  Although the remaining 3 pops voters don't have percentages...I'll just say that you haven't moved much, so that probably makes it around:
Insomniac: 20%
Grujah: 40%
O: 30%

I guess I've decided to go ahead with the more info is better for town idea...let's see where it goes.  Not that we seem to be anywhere near night, thankfully, but you never know when the hammer will drop and you'll get NKed for being too helpful.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

Theorel, thank you for all the great thoughts. I still want to see more people chime in on my post #760, but I agree with you that there may be something to Dsell as Mafia. Nothing he had done individually had stood out, but I had forgotten that he offered (useless theory talk*) his thoughts on D1 game length. And your right, his actions don't meet his words, which was my #1 scum hunting tell.

So once I get more input on Axxle, whom I feel is in that same camp, I'll consider where we're at, and if a change in vote is necessary.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

I'd like info on Axxle too, I mean he's part of a 3-way tie for next-most-suspicious.  Honestly, starting out that post I was planning on putting my vote on Axxle to see if anything happened this time.  But then DSell, man.

I'm happy to hear from everyone, but I'm especially interested in Green_Opal, Insomniac, and Glooble's opinions.  So, if you guys get a chance and catch up, let's hear about it.

Also, please do everything in your power not to be "convinced" by my post.  Read through the posts yourself, analyze what you've thought.  I might be wrong, and the more townies that weigh in with legitimate personal opinions the better off we are.  Also, remember we're all susceptible to confirmation-bias, so do what you can to remove that.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

UNVOTE

I'll be gone for several hours.
Posting begets posting.

Green Opal

• Herbalist
    • View Profile

Theorel: I am in fact a guy, just a guy who vaguely enjoys making people think he might be a girl on the internet (as such things don't exist after all).

I was pretty amused with the way the whole jonah situation exploded. I've had him pegged as the person I'm most suspicious about more or less since I started seriously considering the game, for reasons that had little to do with the current discussion (in short, the timing of his 'vote me, I'm scum' at the start during the joking phase just gave me a massive "ooh, I get to do something clever and hide in plain sight" vibe). But none of the recent talk has shifted my viewpoint on the matter significantly. If anything it's just making it seem like he's trying to dig himself out of a hole. Maybe I'm being too single-minded about the whole thing? It's definitely as much a gut feeling as anything else.
 It's certainly good to see the degree of care which the town is taking before making this first lynch though.

Also, slightly old thought at this point, but how seriously should we take rumour/suggestion that pops/SFS are a gardener/mason pairing? It seemed like that was what we were supposed to think for quite a while, though it probably doesn't matter all that much either way. To that matter, what does it mean for the town if there are masons around, confirmed or not?

As mentioned, I know I'm not being as active on here as I could/should be, but I'll likely be around for a while, so feel free to ask if there's anything you'd like me to clarify.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile

Galzria in M3.
Ok.

And J, you know what? Each self vote by town ended up in a town lynch. Imagine that! It's not a mafia move but it's also definitely anti-town. 

And just to let everyone know, I didn't say it before since I didn't want to add fuel to the theory fire, and the question of my wanting a quick lynch has come up.  I'm of the opinion that lynching town is worse than no lynch, but lynching someone that is 50% likely to be mafia and turns out to be town is better than no lynch.

What theorel says about DSell really bothers me, meaning I'm really doubting my J vote, so for now

Unvote

PEdit: and now it just looks like I'm just following everyone off the bandwagon, but let me be clear that J is still very much on my radar.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Theorel, thank you for all the great thoughts. I still want to see more people chime in on my post #760, but I agree with you that there may be something to Dsell as Mafia. Nothing he had done individually had stood out, but I had forgotten that he offered (useless theory talk*) his thoughts on D1 game length. And your right, his actions don't meet his words, which was my #1 scum hunting tell.

So once I get more input on Axxle, whom I feel is in that same camp, I'll consider where we're at, and if a change in vote is necessary.

I think I agree with you.  I suspect this is also partially because I enjoy the theory discussion for reasons that I outlined previously.  Actively refusing to provide statements on theory feels like wanting to leave your options open down the line for making poor play.

Since no-one has come out and claimed that I've wrongly categorized their stance on the Jotheonah issue, I'm leaning towards believing jotheonah.

Some of the people on the lynching side seem scummy (Axxle for the reasons that Pops and Galzria have provided, DSell) or not very well thought out (SFS), and I'm just not getting that vibe from the folks on the no lynch side - with the possible exception of O.

I think that seeing pairs may be premature - but I'm definitely in agreement that Axxle does not look great.

PRE POST EDIT

WOW - 2 unvotes really quickly after we really started looking at the J voters.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Captain Frisk: Frisk's made a few interesting posts, but generally hasn't caught my eye. He made a good post analysing O's behaviour (289), but that's really about it. I know Dominion skill and Mafia skill are two very seperate things, but I've kinda been expecting more from him. No real read yet.

I hate to jump back 10 pages, but this bugged me while reading last night.

Can I ask what you would consider a display of skill at this game on Day 1 to look like?

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

Note: Tables said he'd be out for 36 hours...so you're not going to get an answer to that question any time soon.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.