Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (GAME OVER - MAFIA WINS!)  (Read 340690 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (DAY 1 UNDERWAY)
« Reply #500 on: June 05, 2012, 12:17:23 am »

@SFS, can you please say something of substance while you are still on? Who do you suspect, who do you not suspect, and why? You don't even have to answer those questions specifically, I just want to see something of substance from you. Because so far you have frankly filled your posts with fluff (and more recently defending yourself a bit).
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (DAY 1 START!)
« Reply #501 on: June 05, 2012, 12:19:40 am »

I might use . instead.  That wouldnt cause much problem would it?

OK, it's not going to be possible for me to play this game without humor.  It's who I am, and the game is supposed to be fun.  I typed and deleted (about 3 times) in my opening post the following, and should have just left it in:

I will be using humor (and potentially emoticons) in my posts.  If that gets me lynched, so be it.  This is a game of evaluations, and if I am lynched because I say something intended to be funny, it will help me evaluate my game experience.

You have all been warned!
Dug it up for you guys.  Pretty clear.  I don't share the same conclusions as pops though.

Oops yeah I just missed this. I read that post but missed that phrase.

But on the topic of that post: SFS, you said in your "original" introduction that you would be using lots of humor, that you weren't even concerned if that gets you lynched. So far, you have been one of the most anti-humor people in the game? Care to comment on this? Did you write and delete that post because that is not how you ended up wanting to present yourself?
See my reply at #490.

Why do you say I am anti-humor?
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (DAY 1 START!)
« Reply #502 on: June 05, 2012, 12:20:51 am »

@SFS but you followed it up with this post in the very same page, discouraging our joking demeanor:

Vote: Quicktopic

@O: Puppies of large dogs are cute. I've not encountered puppies of yappy-type dogs enough times to form an opinion on them.
I'm fine with smart children, but there are a lot of obnoxious, loud, undisciplined children that I prefer to stay clear of me.
I think this is where I say: God Bless America.
UNVOTE
Vote: Axxle (for the above post)

@ALL: Can we get more focused on gleaning actionable information?  This is going to be incredibly unwieldy 6 weeks from now at the end of Day 3, when there could still be as many as 12 people in the game.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 05, 2012, 12:27:25 am »

@SFS, can you please say something of substance while you are still on? Who do you suspect, who do you not suspect, and why? You don't even have to answer those questions specifically, I just want to see something of substance from you. Because so far you have frankly filled your posts with fluff (and more recently defending yourself a bit).

I agree. I wish Volt were around to link a youtube video. He always knows how to describe the villages mood. We're going nowhere fast with all this back and forth.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 05, 2012, 12:29:51 am »

I agree. Although I feel like I'm gaining useful information (and I don't always think that in Round 1).
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 05, 2012, 12:33:30 am »

I agree. Although I feel like I'm gaining useful information (and I don't always think that in Round 1).

Will you give updated thoughts on SFS? I know what you thought of Theoral's post. But SFS has now said more.

Mafia Record:

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 05, 2012, 12:58:55 am »

I guess I'm still feeling my way around.  This doesn't feel like a team exercise, so I'm off in my own little world trying to collect information, cause I'm gonna be way slower than you guys at this. My strategy is to contribute the information I have, and I have tried to do that in the past hour in the asking of questions about posts.  I'm trying to hold people fully accountable for what they write.  The "defending" (which I think is different from "defensiveness"  in the same way that "alone" is different from "lonely"), is because I intend to be fully accountable for what I write.

There was a post earlier about someone using the terminology "we townies" in a couple of posts, and what that meant. I guess I've now joined that club.  Someone tell me what it means, if it means anything.

Who do I suspect?  I dont know.  I find it weird that Pops JUMPED to my (I think it was "my", but have asked for confirmation) defense with the "He's town, lay off him" comment in #371, but then in #469 ACCUSES me of deleting a post, a notion I have since rebuted (sp?).  (Anyone still wondering about my commitment to the notion of not deleting a post should be apparent by my three tries (at #322, 324, and 326) to unvote correctly in bold).  Pops was also the first responder (at#64) to my inquiry at potentially playing in the game.  In that response, he claimed "I was one of his favorite posters on f.DS".  Maybe he thought a newb would be easy to manipulate if he caught a Mafia role?

IRL, I have a 34-year career in laboratory chemistry and quality assurance.  My loyalty is always to accurate data, so I'm going to concentrate on making sure that the data available on me are correct, because bad data generally leads to bad decisions, and because good documentation is what I know. If that approach comes across as defending, I'm good with that.

SPeaking of loyalty to good data, before I vote on a discussion thread being started, can anyone speak to the possibility of information becoming accessible (probably inadvertently) through contamination of the discussion threads for MI and MII and MIII?

On the subject of EDITING posts (note, I did not say deleting posts), is what Axxle did with

Posting begets posting.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 05, 2012, 01:01:15 am »

*with the last line of #325 ok to do (the strike throughs?)
Posting begets posting.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 05, 2012, 01:03:05 am »

and now everyone has gone to bed.
Posting begets posting.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 05, 2012, 01:03:26 am »

SPeaking of loyalty to good data, before I vote on a discussion thread being started, can anyone speak to the possibility of information becoming accessible (probably inadvertently) through contamination of the discussion threads for MI and MII and MIII?

I'm sure the discussion threads for MI and MII did not pollute the game. MIII is more controversial because the discussion thread is more successful, but... I don't see a probably with it. But I'm weird in that I wouldn't really care if the audience had an ongoing poll about who they think is mafia. It's not like they have more info than we do.

The bigger worry is probably info from ongoing mafia games sneaking in to other ongoing mafia games. I am very careful not to post things from MIII, even when I think they might be helpful observations. That's just me.

Will you give updated thoughts on SFS? I know what you thought of Theoral's post. But SFS has now said more.

To be honest, SFS's posts are actually reading TOO naive to be deliberate mafia strategy to me. I'm irked that he isn't being bolder, but I'm not irked in a suspicious way. Just irked. What do you think?

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: June 05, 2012, 01:05:10 am »

I'm sure the discussion threads for MI and MII did not pollute the game. MIII is more controversial because the discussion thread is more successful, but... I don't see a probably with it. But I'm weird in that I wouldn't really care if the audience had an ongoing poll about who they think is mafia. It's not like they have more info than we do.

The bigger worry is probably info from ongoing mafia games sneaking in to other ongoing mafia games. I am very careful not to post things from MIII, even when I think they might be helpful observations. That's just me.

To be honest, SFS's posts are actually reading TOO naive to be deliberate mafia strategy to me. I'm irked that he isn't being bolder, but I'm not irked in a suspicious way. Just irked. What do you think?
Gotta love the noobs.
Posting begets posting.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 05, 2012, 01:08:59 am »

I'm gonna be on for about 10 more naive minutes, if I can respond to anyone else's concerns or inquiries.
Posting begets posting.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 05, 2012, 01:09:25 am »

I'm gonna be on for about 10 more naive minutes, if I can respond to anyone else's concerns or inquiries.

SFS, you MUST answer this. Who do you think is the mafia?

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 05, 2012, 01:11:09 am »

Way past bedtime - but diablo got away from me.

Can someone explain to me why we are railing on SFS so hard?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 05, 2012, 01:13:37 am »

No flavor this time, in favor of a Youtube link (per Galz's request) that I think may reflect some of the new players' feelings now that they've dipped their toes in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv33SsGHYHo

Vote Count 1-4

Insomniac (1) - popsofctown
Axxle (1) - SwitchedFromStarcraft
popsofctown (4) - Insomniac, O, Grujah, Axxle
SwitchedFromStarcraft (1) - jotheonah

Not Voting {8} - Robz888, theorel, Glooble, Tables, Dsell, Green Opal, Captain_Frisk, Galzria

With 15 alive, it takes 8 to lynch

Players comfortable with a discussion quicktopic (12) - Dsell, O, Galzria, Captain_Frisk, Insomniac, jotheonah, Glooble, Green Opal, Axxle, Grujah, Robz888, theorel

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 05, 2012, 01:14:07 am »

Disregard - when I went back and just filtered to posts by him - it does look like frequent posting, but nothing exciting.  I don't know that he's going to have a good answer to who he thinks is mafia... but I'm curious to hear what he says.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 05, 2012, 01:14:26 am »

@C_F, for me it's just that he hasn't said (well maybe he has a bit now) anything. His posts have really been devoid of any meaning, which is suspicious to me. I'm really glad he's finally attempting to have substance but I'm going to wait and see if his posts get any better.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 05, 2012, 01:14:38 am »

I'm not railing on him, but I want to hear more worthwhile things while I have his ear.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 05, 2012, 01:16:09 am »

SFS, that strikethrough wasn't an edit per say, I wrote it before you updated your post with bold and just put a strikethrough indicating that I was going to post it but you invalidated what I was going to post.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 05, 2012, 01:18:09 am »

SFS, you MUST answer this. Who do you think is the mafia?
I laughed out loud. How the hell would I know?  It's day one and I've never played the silly game.  I'm still building some sort of system by which to measure/decipher/track the game state, so I've not yet had the luxury of inferences. (e.g., I have no idea what the vote count is, and am too tired to go back and tally for myself.  I will start noting the VOLTGLOSS posts though, so I only have to wade through X pages of post when I need a count).
Posting begets posting.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 05, 2012, 01:19:17 am »

@Robz, to be honest, post #440 applies somewhat here too. But that doesn't really address the fact that regardless if they knew or not what they were signing up for, they still have equal chance at having received a Mafia role PM as anybody else.

So with that in consideration, I find SFS to genuinely come across as lost at times. We (the populace) get so caught up in the ongoing conversation that we can get away with being a bit ambiguous. To someone reading through after and catching up, things may not seem so clear. As Mafia, it would be easy enough to pick out the things you do understand, and build a case around that. The last thing I would imagine a Mafia would do is take time to attempt to clarify most of those ambiguities, which is indeed what he's doing.

It makes it frustrating for you, as you get little substance, and maybe there is something scummy about that. But overall it just doesn't FEEL like Mafia play to me right now. If I were admittedly new, and Mafia, I would be more concerned with fitting/blending in.

Again, there are small things that suggest he's doing just that (the I'm a humor person too! Post), but I am inclined to lean town right now.

Mafia Record:

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 05, 2012, 01:19:43 am »

Who's "we"? I haven't been railing on him so hard, I've been responding to the 15+ questions he's had for me.

I don't really find SFS suspicious. I DO still find Pops... well.. strong-headed.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 05, 2012, 01:22:45 am »

SFS, that strikethrough wasn't an edit per say, I wrote it before you updated your post with bold and just put a strikethrough indicating that I was going to post it but you invalidated what I was going to post.
So it's within the bounds of the rules?  Cause I like that better than "Pre-Post Edit" in some circumstances.  I think it is more clear (as it was in this case as it turns out, 'cause I had correctly interpreted it as sort of analogous to "Ninja'd").
Posting begets posting.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 05, 2012, 01:26:22 am »

Who's "we"? I haven't been railing on him so hard, I've been responding to the 15+ questions he's had for me.

I don't really find SFS suspicious. I DO still find Pops... well.. strong-headed.

And the number of the counting shall be three.  Four shall thou not count, nor shall thou count two, excepting as to proceed immediately to three. FIFTEEN IS RIGHT OUT!

Do we lynch liars, or 15 intended to be humorous?
Posting begets posting.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 05, 2012, 01:27:31 am »

Do we lynch liars, or 15 intended to be humorous?

I'll let you figure that one out  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 16 queries.