Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 106  All

Author Topic: M140 - Gladiator Bomb Mafia  (Read 25108 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: M140 - Gladiator Bomb Mafia
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2024, 04:29:32 pm »

Of course it’s been years since we’ve played together so all of us have a reason for a slightly changed meta.

Well, especially if the "changed meta" is just being friendlier than usual. I think that's true of more or less everyone so far, including Didds, and it's probably just a natural consequence of being excited to play a game together after a long time of not having all that much interaction.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2024, 04:36:20 pm »

Having Awaclus come to my defense is definitely new!

If the last years have made it so that my meta changed to be nicer, then that's just a win for everyone in my books. I also feel like I've often been at my most aggressive as scum but oh well... referencing past games just isn't going to happen this time around, all I have for you are vibes.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2024, 04:37:18 pm »

Oh and the deadline is not super inconvenient for me, I sometimes go to bed later than that anyway (and sometimes like an hour earlier, but I can stay up an extra hour pretty easily).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2024, 04:41:42 pm »

Having Awaclus come to my defense is definitely new!

Don't get the wrong idea! I'm still voting for you, it's just that that particular argument seemed like a distraction.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2024, 05:27:38 pm »

Hi.

It's certainly been a while. About three years, I think, for me. Every now and then, I go back and re-read some of the old games. We had some good ones!

Actually, it may have been exactly three years. I think the last game I played in, or at least the last one I remember participating in, was the Marvel characters one where we—we the scum, I mean—pulled off the SpaceAnemone gambit, which was one of the coolest tricks of all time. I take no credit for it; I fought the idea, and I also got exiled early... on my IRL birthday no less. (Which is in three weeks.)

Okay, on to this game. I don't really think setup talk is townie or scummy. I for one find it real difficult to come up with worthwhile things to say on Day 1. And it's been a while for a lot of us right? Really, townies and mafia feel pressured to come up with things to say on Day 1.

Of the people in this game, Joth is the person I've been playing with the longest. (Since Mafia 2, I think? That must have been in 2012 or something. Wow.) I think my ability to tell if he's scum is slightly higher than average. He doesn't seem scummy to me so far.

Also, for reference, in case anyone doesn't know: Mcmcsalot is my brother IRL!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2024, 05:28:45 pm »

Disclosure: I vastly prefer playing as mafia, and am known for being a much more useful scum player than town player, sadly. I'm going to TRY to be active and helpful this game, though.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: ZM25 - Gladiator Bomb Mafia
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2024, 05:29:25 pm »

Not for like 10 years lol. I've been an academic nomad, was in Chicago for quite a while, and now settled in the DC area.

You're in DC! Me too.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2024, 05:45:26 pm »

Thanks Robz. Good to see you too.

Can we talk about Cuzz’s reason for voting for Awaclus? It’s more substantive than 90% of the votes today so far, but I am of two minds about whether it’s actually any good. Could be the sort of slip that seems scummy but is actually just careless town wording.

Also it’s very much the sort of case scum would jump on to get a town wagon going. What do you all think?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2024, 05:48:57 pm »

Thanks Robz. Good to see you too.

Can we talk about Cuzz’s reason for voting for Awaclus? It’s more substantive than 90% of the votes today so far, but I am of two minds about whether it’s actually any good. Could be the sort of slip that seems scummy but is actually just careless town wording.

Also it’s very much the sort of case scum would jump on to get a town wagon going. What do you all think?

I don’t at all agree with Awaclus that Faust was scummy for what he said, and I also disagree with Cuzz that it made Awaclus is scummy. So I am not impressed with the case against Awaclus, but I also don’t find Cuzz scummy because of it.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2024, 05:52:26 pm »

Specifically I’m referring to this:

Is Swowl more likely town or scum for pointing this out?

Are you more likely town or scum for wondering this?

Vote: faust

Scummy. The word "wondering" only makes sense if faust is town.

"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

infangthief

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2024, 05:52:36 pm »

A few weeks ago I read some of one of the first Mafia games on here, M2, or MII or however they were numbered. Day 1 had all this "you have to be nice to people, don't actually place a vote anywhere that's a bit extreme, just voice some suspicions".

I'm all for being nice, and wish I was better at it, but I'm glad we're fine with slinging votes around too.

Didds, do you want to come and vote for joth? Or do you feel like helping joth find a reason he can vote for mcmcsalot?
Awaclus, did you really consider saying "pretending to wonder"? I find that hard to believe.

oh, hi Robz. And yes you and joth were both in Mafia 2.

infangthief

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2024, 05:55:33 pm »

Why would you say this? If you think it is that kind of case why not wait and see who jumps on to it?

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2024, 05:59:54 pm »

I don’t know how to word it exactly but robz first post strikes me as too “talking about things without saying anything” which is scummy. Though he is correct he is much better as scum and it’s actually a post I would expect scum!robz to reread and go “that sounds too much talking about things without saying anything” and come in more direct with a take on something a’la his second and third posts. So town reading robz for now.

Also going to unvote: joth, combination of joth himself reminding me that the two of us very often find ourselves wagoning each other regardless of alignment and robz read on him which is typically good.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115, M118, M120, M122, M123, M124, M133, M134
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113, M119, M128
Winrate: 46.5%(20/43) 40.6%(13/32), 63.6%(7/11)

infangthief

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2024, 06:03:05 pm »

Can we talk about Cuzz’s reason for voting for Awaclus? It’s more substantive than 90% of the votes today so far
Fun fact, there have been exactly 10 votes today so far, so 90% is exactly the right percentage to pick if you think it is the most substantive :)

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2024, 06:04:01 pm »

Why would you say this? If you think it is that kind of case why not wait and see who jumps on to it?

I would posit he says that because he is town and actually concerned with finding out if this is a good wagon on scum!awaclus or an easy misexhile on town!awaclus

It’s very bold of scum!joth to say this in the event Awaclus is town because it would indeed be a safe and easy wagon to join especially with me still having been voting him. So I lean even more town on joth.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115, M118, M120, M122, M123, M124, M133, M134
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113, M119, M128

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2024, 06:08:22 pm »

Yes I lean very town on joth.

infangthief

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2024, 06:08:48 pm »

It is 1 vote, hardly a wagon.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2024, 06:27:13 pm »

It is 1 vote, hardly a wagon.

Sure but all I’m saying is none of the prior interactions suggest to me scum!joth and scum!awaclus and with me voting joth and a reasonable vote on awaclus which joth is stating some level of support for it would be unlikely to me that scum!Joth takes this time to try and grab towncred by voicing concern rather than just outright joining in voting awaclus.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2024, 07:01:10 pm »

I pretty strongly feel like any edits whatsoever to a quote (other than cropping) should be forbidden. Folks cannot be expected to click the link and go back to the original post to verify the original content. Maybe if you make it *very clear* that you added the bolding or whatever, but even still there are better ways to highlight portions of posts.

Well, it's clearly not against the rules. Do you think we should policy exile anyone who edits a quote for any reason?

I actually thought that maybe this was a rule, so certainly not clear to me. But that's definitely not at all what I was implying, and this is a weird response. I just meant it maybe should be sort of an unwritten rule, just as like a sportsmanship thing. I don't necessarily think anything was done in bad faith here. 

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2024, 08:07:40 pm »

I 100% think that Shraeye is being cagey.

I feel like you were hunting for an adjective to describe shraeye's 2 relevant posts. Cagey doesn't seem to fit to me.
f.ds QuickTopic Archive - 119,321 posts from 1,894 QTs, mostly from old Forum Games, available for your perusal!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2024, 08:11:37 pm »

Well, there  are various ways in which that could be a scum tell. Generally speaking, scum is more likely to be aware of the setup because they presumably would have talked about it already. In some cases it is beneficial for town to not draw attention to a certain detail in the setup in the hopes that scum will not be alerted to it, and then pointing it out can be a scum tell.

I'm not a fan of these types of arguments, as they incentivise people to not know what's going on. Town, read the setup.
Also I'm sure between them scum are more than capable of finding relevant details in the OP.
f.ds QuickTopic Archive - 119,321 posts from 1,894 QTs, mostly from old Forum Games, available for your perusal!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2024, 08:14:35 pm »

Please don't project stuff onto my words that I never said.

How are we supposed to find scum if we can't read more into what they said than what's explicitly there? It's not like scum is going to literally say they're scum.

Scum are entitled to ask you to not find them scummy.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2024, 08:16:38 pm »

Least... probably Jimmm, but time zones. Its like 4 am there.

:o Are you calling me fluffy?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2024, 09:12:41 pm »

Awaclus, did you really consider saying "pretending to wonder"? I find that hard to believe.

Yes, which I distinctively remember because that was the only meaningful wording choice to make in that post. For reference, I spent 4 minutes wording the one-liner after that, as you can sort-of-verify from the timestamps.

Are you more likely town or scum for wondering this?
Why not? We can still exile normally as long as we do it on time, plexile is just a fail-safe so that we don't accidentally skip a turn without doing anything.

In general, I tend to think about wordings pretty carefully, and very few things I say are the only alternative wording that was considered. My playstyle wouldn't really work otherwise.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2024, 09:43:48 pm »

Vote Count 1.1

faust (2): Awaclus, joth
joth (1): infangthief
mcmcsalot (1): Jimmmmm
infangthief (1): faust
Awaclus (1): Cuzz
scolapasta (1): Didds
Not Voting (5): Robz888, shraeye, Swowl, scolapasta, mcmcsalot

With 12 alive, it takes 7 votes to exile. Day 1 ends July 29, 2024, 08:00:00 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 106  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.