Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #215: Getting Engaged  (Read 1637 times)

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +252
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #215: Getting Engaged
« on: April 03, 2024, 12:26:35 am »
+4

Weekly Design Contest #215: Getting Engaged
I've always been impressed with cards like Council Room -- the way it balances a powerful effect, the way you can strategize around its effect (e.g. Council Room - Militia)... so I'd love to see you all create your own non-Attack card that interacts with other players. The more it engages a player when it's not their turn, the better!

Guidelines:
  • Must not Attack, this is the only major rule
  • Make the best card you can -- I'd love to see new ways (BONUS POINTS) of interacting or new spins on existing ways, but feel free to reuse an existing interaction effect if that's what your card needs
  • Aiming for engaging you when it's not your turn. How can you make it feel less like watching someone playing solitaire, when they're playing a huge string of engine pieces?
  • Horizontals are accepted, but Kingdom cards are preferred... I'm biased towards them, sorry
  • Please don't include more than two cards in your submission (e.g. a two-card split pile, or a card that gains from a non-Supply pile; but not a Traveler line). Feel free to revise your submission up until the contest closes, though; I'll use the latest version

Examples
Valid:
  • Masquerade - Passing around cards is quite interactive when it's not your turn. Even though it's almost always passing junk and getting junk, it feels novel and keeps you interested
  • Bishop - Getting to clean up your deck for free is fun
  • Advisor - Unfortunately only engages the player to the left (slightly less points for this contest, even though I basically only play 2-player). And you're essentially just acting as a mediator so that they draw the "worst" two cards. But it makes up for it all with the fun of watching them react to what you make them discard
Invalid:
  • Falconer - Only engages the person holding the card. I do love these kinds of cards but for this contest I want cards that affect others
  • Witch - Um, it's an Attack. To be clear, something like Raid or Circle of Witches isn't in the spirit of the contest either, even if it's technically not an Attack

I'll close the contest in about a week (I'll give 24 or 48 hour notice), and release my judgment a day or two after it ends.
I tend to gravitate to cards that are creative, balanced, and fun. Cards that are needlessly complex are rarely fun, but no need to shy away from complexity if that's where your card wants to go.

Tiago

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tserridge
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #215: Getting Engaged
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 12:38:29 am »
+4

I think this card has a big problem, in that the Action cards that are available might not be helpful played on another player's turn (if they give +Actions, +Buys, or +$, those are all useless) but even plain +1 Card +3 Actions isn't that overpowered for $3; it's already worse than Port.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +494
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 04:56:28 am »
+1

WITHDRAWN

UPDATED: Now called Factory. Effect is changed.

Factory
5$ action - Duration

Now and at the start of your next turn: You may Gain a card costing up to $4 and play it if it's an Action or Treasure card

Each other play may gain a copy of it and set it aside face up, playing it at the start of their next turn.

My attempt at a Village workshop that gains to hand without being overpowered.
In addition, there isnt any duration workshops from what i know.
The duration here serves 2 purposes:
1: Allow you to gain cards twice
2: Make it easier for other players to track that they can gain a card to their hand or deck.

+2 actions might be overpowered, but it seems more fun to me.
i considered +2 Villagers but that seemed bonkers.
The wording feels a bit off to me, but i dont know how to improve it right now.

FAQ
  • Once per play of Communal workshop, ANY PLAYER may during their turn gain a card to hand or topdeck it.
  • If there are multiple communal workshops, the effect stacks.
  • If you topdeck a card with a different effect or gain it to hand via say, sleigh, then the Communal Workshop effect is unused.

The any player is intended to be that each player get to use the effect once.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 03:27:22 pm by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 06:57:17 am »
+2

The problem I see is that the effect permits me to play my own Friendly Village, at which point everyone else can play a second Action card, and it's not really clear in which order everything should go, and there are probably cases where this matters. Granted, Friendly Village is usually a card you wouldn't want to play on your opponent's turn, so maybe this won't come up.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1448
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 07:18:13 am »
+1

Communal Workshop
5$ action - Duration

+2 Actions
Now and at the start of your next turn: Gain a card costing up to $4

Until the start of your next turn, when any player gains a card, they may gain it to their hand or topdeck it 1 time.

My attempt at a Village workshop that gains to hand without being overpowered.
In addition, there isnt any duration workshops from what i know.
The duration here serves 2 purposes:
1: Allow you to gain cards twice
2: Make it easier for other players to track that they can gain a card to their hand or deck.

+2 actions might be overpowered, but it seems more fun to me.
i considered +2 Villagers but that seemed bonkers.
The wording feels a bit off to me, but i dont know how to improve it right now.

FAQ
  • Once per play of Communal workshop, ANY PLAYER may during their turn gain a card to hand or topdeck it.
  • If there are multiple communal workshops, the effect stacks.
  • If you topdeck a card with a different effect or gain it to hand via say, sleigh, then the Communal Workshop effect is unused.

The any player is intended to be that each player get to use the effect once.
Quartermaster and Cobbler are Duration Workshops.

I am not a fan of limiting the benefit for the other players to only one time, for tracking and balance reasons.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 07:20:51 am »
+1

The problem I see is that the effect permits me to play my own Friendly Village, at which point everyone else can play a second Action card, and it's not really clear in which order everything should go, and there are probably cases where this matters. Granted, Friendly Village is usually a card you wouldn't want to play on your opponent's turn, so maybe this won't come up.
That is simple, it is nested. A plays FV, B plays NV, another window opens, C plays an Action, then A plays an Action, the second window closes, we are back to the first window and C plays an Action.

Tiago

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tserridge
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 09:42:32 am »
+1

That is simple, it is nested. A plays FV, B plays NV, another window opens, C plays an Action, then A plays an Action, the second window closes, we are back to the first window and C plays an Action.

If it's too complicated I can say a non-Friendly Village Action.

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +179
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 11:09:08 am »
+1

:)
Neighborhood Garden / Adjacent Neighbor • Randomizer
This pile starts with as many copies of each card as players, but minimum three and maximum five. All copies of Neighborhood Garden are on top.
Neighborhood Garden • $3 • Treasure
Trash a Hand card. If it is ... a Victory, +$2; a Treasure, +$1.
Each other player may trash a copy of the card you trashed from their Hand.
Adjacent Neighbor • $5 • Action
+2 Cards
+1 Buy

Choose one: +1 Action; or discard a card for +$1.
Each other player may reveal a Victory costing up to $6; otherwise +$2.
previous
Neighborhood Garden • $3 • Treasure
Trash a Hand card. If it is ... an Estate, +$2; a Copper, +$1.
Each other player may trash a copy of the card you trashed from their Hand.

Adjacent Neighbor • $4 • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy

Choose one: +1 Action; or discard a card for +1 Card.
Each other player may reveal an Estate. If no Estates are revealed, +$2.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 01:35:18 pm by BryGuy »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2024, 01:03:26 pm »

Garden is too weak and Neigbor is too strong.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2024, 06:23:15 pm »
+1

Stagecoach
$5 - Action
+1 Card and +1 Action.
You may discard a Treasure for +2 Cards. Each other player may discard a Gold for +2 Cards.

Notes: A Stables variant. It’s a little better for you than Stables but offers the opportunity for others to take advantage as well.

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2024, 10:06:51 pm »

Withdrawn as the rules of this contest disallow Attacks

Charge
Action - Attack - $5
+$3
Each other player discards to 3 cards in the hand.
The player to your left may move the Defender trait to another Kingdom pile.
-
Setup: place the Defender trait on a random Kingdom pile.

Defender
Trait
This card also has "Reaction" type.
When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this to be unaffected by it.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 08:36:26 am by grep »

kru5h

• Tactician
  • Respect: +401
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2024, 10:24:17 pm »
+6

An older card of mine. Hope that's alright.

King Midas

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2024, 06:46:46 am »
+1

^ Interesting card. This completely nukes various engines like village/rabble, but of course you can play around that.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2024, 07:49:12 am »

UPDATED: Now called Factory. Effect is changed.

Update

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2024, 09:03:51 am »
+2

New submission:

Reform
$4 - Event
Move a Trait to a different Kingdom pile. All players including you may reveal from their hand any number of cards from that pile to get +1 Coffers per each.
-
Setup: add an extra Trait to the kingdom.

Note: While moving, you must follow the Traits rules: only put them on Action and Treasure piles, and don't put a second Traits on the same pile.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 09:10:24 pm by grep »

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2024, 11:00:26 am »
+1

New submission:

Reform
$4 - Event
Move a Trait to a different Kingdom pile. All players including you may reveal any number of cards from that pile to get +1 Coffers per each.
-
Setup: add an extra Trait to the kingdom.

I assume they reveal cards from that pile from their hand?
Note: While moving, you must follow the Traits rules: only put them on Action and Treasure piles, and don't put a second Traits on the same pile.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +539
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2024, 12:52:45 pm »
+3

Edit: this is an out of date submission. I have updated it here

Royal Advisor | Action - Duration - Command | $4
Now and at the start of your next turn: You may play a non-Duration non-Command Action card from your hand twice. Each other player may play a copy of it from the Supply, leaving it there.

Figured I'd go for some bonus points -- a new way of interacting. This throne room lets other players play that card for free, on their turn. This is a throne room + next turn throne room for $4, what gives? Well, it can't throne itself, that's for starters. And it's restricted further, throning a Moat this turn nets you with a hand size two greater than when you started, minus the action. But it also increase all of your opponents hand size by two, without costing them an action. So you might only be willing to throne cards your opponents don't benefit from (terminal $?)

It's "may" play an action, so you can always choose not to play a card. If you don't play the card, no one gets to.

And lastly, you can play cards where the pile has run out or non-supply cards, then your opponents don't get the bonus.

I've made this play non-Duration cards following the conventions of fellow Duration-Command cards Captain and Prince. Frankly, it's too much track multiple players having played a Duration card without it ever being in-play.

Open to feedback. I'm considering giving this a "+1 Card" on play, since this throne room hates playing +Cards, so it could make sense to at least give it 1 card. I still think it could cost $4 then, and this card is more fun if used more often.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 11:56:18 pm by anordinaryman »

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +468
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2024, 04:08:46 pm »
+2

I think this card has a big problem, in that the Action cards that are available might not be helpful played on another player's turn (if they give +Actions, +Buys, or +$, those are all useless) but even plain +1 Card +3 Actions isn't that overpowered for $3; it's already worse than Port.

I don't think that's very problematic. Even among base game Actions, all but Festival do something useful on another player's turn, and at least for the terminal Action cards, the opponent will usually be happy to play them then if they lack the +Actions to play them on their own turn.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2024, 04:43:46 pm »
+3

V3:
horse trainer

You may exchange the current Way for a set aside one.
Gain two Horses, playing the second one as the active Way.
-
Setup: Add a Way to the kingdom if there isn't already one, and set aside three unused ones.

Made it terminal by default, priced it to 5 instead of 6, and made you gain two horses instead of 1.
Compensated for the loss of +1 action by making you be able to choose between three set aside ways. That should also reduce the chance that this card is irrelevant on a certain board.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 10:07:29 am by fika monster »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2024, 05:45:08 pm »
+1

Cool idea but way too strong. Gaining a horse is +1 Card value; playing a card as a way is about +2 Cards value (probably more since you have choice?). And then you have +1 Action. So this is probably stronger than +1 Card, +3 Actions. Just cutting the +1 Action might make it okay.

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2024, 08:02:56 pm »

I don't think that's very problematic. Even among base game Actions, all but Festival do something useful on another player's turn, and at least for the terminal Action cards, the opponent will usually be happy to play them then if they lack the +Actions to play them on their own turn.

If you play Market, Village, or many other actions on your opponent’s turn, you are just Enchantress-attacking yourself. There needs to be some reason to play an action on another player’s turn to benefit - the most common reason being that it is a terminal (fun other category: hand-size attacks!).

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2024, 08:12:27 pm »
+2

King's Council
Action/Duration - $5
You may play a non-Duration, non-Command Action from your hand three times. If it's still in play, each player (including you) plays it at the start of their next turn, leaving it in play.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 07:47:05 pm by NoMoreFun »

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2024, 08:34:40 pm »
+1

Cool idea but way too strong. Gaining a horse is +1 Card value; playing a card as a way is about +2 Cards value (probably more since you have choice?). And then you have +1 Action. So this is probably stronger than +1 Card, +3 Actions. Just cutting the +1 Action might make it okay.

A Way may be worth about +2 Cards on a terminal. But when added to a card that already gives +1 Action like this creation, +2 Cards is one of the very best Ways. So, this line of reasoning for why the card is overpowered does not seem correct.

Edit: That said, in a meaningful fraction games with this card, after the Ways are revealed the card is going to be overpowered. For example, you're very likely to buy multiples of this card in the presence of Way of the Otter (the +2 Cards Way). That doesn't make for the most interesting gameplay, even if the card is not consistently essential.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 10:59:13 pm by JW »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #215: Getting Engageds
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2024, 01:55:28 am »

Otter and Pig are literally the only instances in which the card is strong. In all other cases it is far too weak. For example Monkey makes it a delayed Market, Mule a delayed Bazaar. And the non-vanilla Ways simply suck on such an expensive card.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2024, 03:08:52 am »

How would the card be if it cost 5 and you HAD to switch ways?
I also considered having it having +1 action and gaining 2 horses without immideatly playing it.
Or a 4 cost which doesnt give you +1 action but two horses
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.