Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #214: Cornucopia AND Guilds AND Menagerie  (Read 2167 times)

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +538
    • View Profile
+6

Weekly Design Contest #214: Cornucopia AND Guilds AND Menagerie

I really like the motifs and mechanics of Cornucopia, Guilds, and Menagerie (the expansion). I think there's fun ways they could work together in a single card or card-shaped thing. In celebration of the 2nd edition of Cornucopia and Guilds being released, I wanted to create a contest, adding in Menagerie.

Create a new "promo" card that used motifs and/or mechanics from at least 2 of Cornucopia, Guilds, and/or Menagerie

Motifs and Mechanics
For your reference, here is an (incomplete) list of motifs and mechanics in the expansions:
  • Cornucopia:
    • Cards that care about variety (Menagerie, Shop, Hunting Party, Fairgrounds, Horn of Plenty, Carnival)
    • Cards that add variety (Joust,  Ferryman,  Young Witch)
    • Discard (Hamlet, Young Witch, Ferryman )
    • The Rewards
  • Guilds:
    • Coffers (Candlestick Maker,  Plaza, Baker, Butcher, Footpad, Merchant Guild)
    • Overpay (Farrier, Infirmary, Stonemason, Herald )
    • Cards that change the game without being bought (Baker, Footpad)
    • Name a Card (Journeyman, the removed Doctor)
  • Menagerie:
    • Horses
    • Exile
    • Playing actions at Unusual Times (Black Cat, Sheepdog,  Village Green, Falconer, Gamble, Toil) )
    • Changing Costs (Fisherman, Destrier, Wayfarer, Animal Fair)
    • Ways
    • Events
    • Either now or Next Turn (Village Green, Barge)

Contest Guidelines
  • You have to use at mechanics or motifs from at least two of the "three" expansions (for this purpose, Cornucopia and Guilds count as two different expansions)
  • Please include your card-text as text, and with a mock-up. You don't need to add card art, but I want to see the text fit on a card. I recommend using this mock-up tool.
  • Make a new post if you update your entry, please do not edit posts. I include this because I might miss your update!
  • No unique mechanics to an expansion other than cornucopia, guilds, or menagerie are allowed.
    No boons, artifacts, spirits, loot,etc is allowed. However motifs from other expansions are allowed. Like seaside had a top deck and duration motif, that’s fine to use. Renaissance has a simplicity motif, that’s fine. Loot had “next time” motif, that’s fine. New Non supply piles are fine. If your entry breaks this rule I will tell you

Examples
  • Valid: If Huge Turnip was not already a card, it would qualify for incorporating Coffers (Guilds) and Rewards (Cornucopia)
  • Valid: If Hostelry was implemented with Overpay instead of discarding treasures, it would qualify.
  • Valid: An Event (Menagerie) that gives Coffers (Guilds)
  • NOT Valid: A Way that says "+2 Horses." This is only using motifs or mechanics from only Menagerie.
  • NOT Valid: A card that says "Trash this to gain a Reward." This is only using motifs or mechanics from only Cornucopia

Judgment Details:
  • The contest will close roughly one week from today. 
  • I will judge the entries based on balance,  how well it fits in existing Dominion design-practices (for example, attacks are not political), how fun I think the card is, and simplicity where possible.

Entries:
  • Kingswood by grep. A victory rewarding Action variety, with an Overpay to get those actions.
  • Prism by BryGuy. A Treasure granting coffers or Horses based on variety
  • Conformist by czzzz. A Coffer gaining smugglers for in-play cards, that plays from hand 
  • Beguiler by 4est. A sort of storyteller for Coffers that can be played when anyone gets Coffers
  • Ancient Gear by J410. A terminal draw Menagerie that rewards with Coffers instead of more draw that costs less if you didn't gain Coffers that turn
  • Diversify by Will(ow|iam). An Event granting Coffers for treasure variety
  • Bounty by AJL828. A treasure-victory action player and gainer. With gaining and VP based on card type variety.
  • Harvester by LibraryAdventurer. A silver +buy action exiler that grants coffers for exiling more expensive cards
  • Convoy by silverspawn. Cheap terminal draw that becomes non-terminal to release Victory cards from Exile, with an Exile on overpay mechanic.
  • Donkey Tamer by grrgrrgrr. A non-terminal horse Gainer that when in the game, changes +cards to draw-to-x
  • Financial Center by JW. A Village that grants coffers based on variety of cards in play
  • Trendsetter by NoMoreFun. A cantrip or terminal + coffer, that can be played out of turn when other player gains duplicates of cards you have in hand
  • Cache by Augie279. A non-terminal treasure gain and play with +buy that costs less if you have no duplicates in play
  • Caravanserai by chronostrike. Cantrip discard for Exile and/or discard for Horse
  • ROUNDABOUT by fika monster. A now-or-next-turn draw-to-7 that can play a unique card
  • Horseshoes by Tiago. A treasure that gains Horses per treasure variety, that "in games using this" grants Coffers when Victory cards are gained
  • Rancher by MochaMoko. A vault that gives horses instead of draws, and coffers instead of $ for discard
  • Hoarder by Sverre. An Exiler granting + cards for unique cards in Exile
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 01:51:36 pm by anordinaryman »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #214: Cornucopia AND Guilds AND Menagerie
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 05:34:22 am »
+3

Can the submission use expansion-specific mechanics from other expansions?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 10:28:19 am »
+3

Kingswood
$5 - Victory
Worth 1% per two differently named Action cards you have (rounded down).
-
Overpay: Gain a differently named card cheaper than this per $1 overpaid.

Kingswood may grow up to 4VP in a normal kingdom (without split piles, Ruins etc), but you need to work on it.
The "differently named" clause in overpay limits its power in three-piling. Also you cannot gain Duchies this way.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 01:11:50 pm »
+1

Can the submission use expansion-specific mechanics from other expansions?

No unique mechanics to an expansion other than those 3 is allowed.
So no boons, artifacts, spirits, loot,etc is allowed.

However motifs from other expansions are allowed. Like seaside had a top deck and duration motif, that’s fine to use. Renaissance has a simplicity motif, that’s fine. Loot had “next time” motif, that’s fine. New Non supply piles are fine.

The line is a little fine between the two, ask with your submission and I can tell you if it fits the guidelines. In general, your card should not need extra rulebook to understand other than the rule books in cornucopia and guilds and menagerie
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 01:43:25 pm by anordinaryman »

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2024, 03:55:25 pm »
+4

:)
Prism • $4 • Treasure
+1 Buy
If you no have no Coffers, +2 Coffers;
otherwise gain a Horse per differently named Treasures in play (including this).
This uses variety from Cornucopia, Coffers from Guilds, and Horses from Menagerie.
:)

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 04:52:32 pm »
+3

MADE A NEW VERSION OF THIS:
New card (or well, really wagon v2 but changed)
STAGE COACH

Wagon
4$ Action

+2 Cards
+1 Coffers
-
In games using this, at the start of cleanup you may spend $2 to set aside an action card from your hand. At the start of your next turn, play it.

Combines Coffers from guilds with "able to play card at unusual times" from menagerie.
Is also a new attempt at an action card that lets you trade money for an action card play.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 05:49:45 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +251
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 05:44:36 pm »
+3

Conformist $5 Action - Reaction
+1 Coffers
Gain a copy of a card anyone has in play.
---
When any player plays an Action they have at least two other copies of in play, you may play this from your hand.
"Well, if everyone else is doing this, I'd better do it too"
Conformist jumps out of your hand when 3 of the same Action card are played during your turn or someone else's.
If not played using the reaction bit, it's a terminal Tools with a Coffers -- not getting the full value at all.
If you're able to use it on someone else's turn, the timing of the play not only gives the benefit for free but also gives you more options for what you're gaining (not just other players' Duration cards, because they're still mid turn!)

Coffers (from Guilds) and gaining are both valuable even when it's not your turn. I thought about +Cards but then it would chain to more copies of Conformist and I didn't like that.

It makes a player care about variety because the card searches for a lack of it; if my opponent has 5 Conformists, I'd hesitate to give them free plays of it, and try to have variety in my play/deck. So it can lead to Cornucopia-like play even though the card itself doesn't value it, which I thought would be cool.

And of course, it plays at an odd time (Menagerie).

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 04:04:46 am »

Im quite happy with this in some ways, but also something feels wrong with it. And i dont know what it is.
Does anyone have any critisism or feedback?

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1455
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2024, 02:34:10 pm »
+3

Beguiler

Action-Reaction

Choose one: +2 Coffers; or
remove any number of your
Coffers for +1 Card each.

When any player gets
+Coffers, you may play this
from your hand.

Beguiler is a Coffers-gainer like Villain and Footpad but instead of attacking other players, he can "attack" you instead--take your money and convert it into draw (similar to Storyteller). He's a crafty fellow and always listening: if he hears coins jingling, he's ready to jump in on the action.

FAQ:
  • "Removing" Coffers is not the same as spending them. You do not get any $ when removing Coffers.
  • You must decide how many Coffers you wish to remove first, and then you draw that many Cards.

Combines Guilds' Coffers mechanic with Menagerie's Reaction/play at unexpected times theme.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 02:52:36 pm by 4est »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2024, 06:23:11 pm »
+2

I'm quite happy with this in some ways, but also something feels wrong with it. And i don't know what it is.
Does anyone have any critisism or feedback?
To me, the thing that feels off is that the bottom half is the same as adding Delay (costing $2 instead of a buy) to the kingdom, and Delay is already in Menagerie.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2024, 12:18:22 am »
+1

Urban Farm
Action/Duration/Reaction - $5
+2 Cards
Set aside any number of differently named Action or Treasure cards from your hand. At the start of your next turn, play them in any order.
______
When you gain a card that has not yet been gained by anyone this game, you may play this from your hand.

No longer my entry
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 01:38:40 am by NoMoreFun »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2024, 03:16:04 am »

I do not get the below the line stuff. Alice gains a Silver in T1, Urban Farm triggers but nobody has any Urban Farm in Hand (unless Inherited).

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2024, 05:49:02 am »
+2

Entry redacted

STAGE COACH v4

Stage coach
7$ Action-Reaction

+3 Coffers
Spend any number of Coffers for +1 card each.
-
When you get Coffers or $ in your action phase you may play this from your hand.

v3

v2

v1

Comment: My attempt at a Guilds lab combined with menageries "reaction play".
Originally a straight +2 Cards, this card is now a story teller variant: You may bank a ton of coffers and refuse to pay, and then play a library. Or you may decide to use Your non coffers money for draw that turn and save the coffers.

Edit 2:
Now its a smithy/coffer golds. Its probably too strong, but i did not want to make it weaker. So hence the increased cost.
6$ for a smithy is pretty bad on paper, but this lets you choose between spending coffers for draw or to gain coffers from the future. The reaction part is probably overkill but i just really like having the reaction there. It makes it go from a weak 6$ card to a strong one in my opinion, one you want to fill your deck with.
I changed the card to just react to coffers/money gained in YOUR ACTION PHASE as to remove weirdness on other peoples turns, and i included $ just cause i wanted to.

Edit 3:
Its effectively a beter gold that can let you draw, and coffers is really good. So i changed the price to 7.
May be too high, but oh well.

UPDATE:
Ack!! I totally missed beguiler. Darn. I will change my submission tommorow
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 07:09:32 pm by fika monster »

J410

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2024, 05:01:10 pm »
+2

Ancient Gear

Reveal your hand.
If the revealed cards all have different names, +2 Coffers.
Either way, +2 Cards.

During your turns, this costs less if you haven't had any Coffers at any point this turn.

- Action
Cheap terminal draw you can easily load up on. That is, until you understand its value. The cost of this card triples if you started your turn with Coffers or gained them before checking this card's cost, usually by playing Ancient Gear itself, but other cards providing Coffers count too.
Originally cost , but I think is more fun with TfB tricks. Better make sure you have all copies you need before gathering Coffers. Actually getting those Coffers might still be a challenge though.

Uses motifs/mechanics from Cornucopia (cares about variety), Guilds (Coffers) and Menagerie (changing cost).

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2024, 05:55:41 pm »
+2

Diversify
$5 Event
+1 Coffers per differently-named treasure you have in play.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2024, 06:04:29 pm »
+4

Stage coach
5$ Action-Reaction

+2 Coffers
Spend any amount of $ for +1 Card per $1 you paid.
-
When you gain Coffers you may reveal this from your hand to play this.

UPDATE:
Ack!! I totally missed beguiler. Darn. I will change my submission tommorow

Beguiler seems weak to me, Stage Coach less so. A key difference is that Stage Coach offers both coffers and converting Coffers to draw each time you play it, while with Beguiler you need an extra play to convert Coffers to draw. 

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2024, 06:42:54 pm »
+2

Bounty
Treasure - Victory ($5)

Gain an Action card to your hand costing up to $1 per different card type you have in play. You may play an Action from your hand.
---
Worth 1 VP per 3 different card types you have (round down).

This card:
- Encourages variety in both its on play effect and its scoring condition. It's a bit different from the standard "differently named" of Cornucopia, but will still require gaining quite a few different cards in most cases.
- Plays Action cards at unusual times (in the Buy Phase, like Gamble and Toil)
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2024, 06:58:33 pm »
+2

Harvester
$5 - Action
+$2.
+1 Buy.
Exile a card from your hand. If you Exiled an Action or Treasure costing at least $3, +1 Coffers.

EDIT: Just noticed you require a mock up. ugh.
Here's the mock up.
 I'm not going to go through the trouble of finding a place to upload it just for this.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 02:58:44 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2024, 08:36:41 pm »

I do not get the below the line stuff. Alice gains a Silver in T1, Urban Farm triggers but nobody has any Urban Farm in Hand (unless Inherited).
That's correct, there will only be a finite number of times the below the line can be triggered in a given game.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2024, 04:40:40 am »

New card (or well, really wagon v2 but changed)

STAGE COACH v3

New and buffed version of the card. This should be meaningfully different from beguiler.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2024, 08:16:42 am »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2024, 08:40:19 am »
+1

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2024, 08:52:19 am »
+2

Doesnt this break the rule of “only guilds, cornucopia and menagerie”?

Tiago

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tserridge
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2024, 09:28:51 am »
+3

How is the top meaningfully different from Lab, and how is the card not strictly better than Lab? Overpay makes something strictly better, I think.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2024, 11:45:06 am »

This breaks contest rules. Potions are a mechanic from Alchemy, and would require a rulebook addition to explain what those symbols mean.

I made this ruling here
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 2.516 seconds with 20 queries.