Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How often do you buy new Base Cards  (Read 877 times)

Constructivist

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
How often do you buy new Base Cards
« on: March 01, 2024, 06:40:59 pm »

Hello IRL players,

After a while cards get used.  This is especially noticeable when you buy new cards and combine them with used cards.  I've noticed that sometimes this seems to even impact the shuffle where used cards seem more likely to stick together and new cards less likely to slide between.  It's fine playing like that, but sometimes I wonder what games would be like if shuffling was truly random like in the digital world.

So, how often do you buy new base cards?  We're on our 13th expansion and have only bought 1 set of base cards.

How many have you bought?

Thanks!

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1493
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
Re: How often do you buy new Base Cards
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 06:57:48 pm »
+7

If you're having this problem, I definitely recommend sleeving your cards. It's much cheaper than replacing them as they wear out, and I think it also makes them easier to shuffle.

Constructivist

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 07:00:03 pm »

Coppers and Estates?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 07:14:08 pm »

Tid

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 12:47:47 am »
+1

If you're having this problem, I definitely recommend sleeving your cards. It's much cheaper than replacing them as they wear out, and I think it also makes them easier to shuffle.
But if you sleeve your base cards, you will have to sleeve ALL your cards. If you get all the expansions or even, just, several of the expansions, surely it will become a much more expensive solution to sleeve everything than to just buy new Base Set cards every once in a while.

Tiago

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tserridge
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 09:57:43 am »
+6

But if you sleeve your base cards, you will have to sleeve ALL your cards. If you get all the expansions or even, just, several of the expansions, surely it will become a much more expensive solution to sleeve everything than to just buy new Base Set cards every once in a while.

I don't actually sleeve everything. When I play, I have a stack of sleeves to the side, and whenever someone gains an unsleeved card, they sleeve it. It's worked so far for me, lots of my cards are unsleeved and we have to do a bit more work while playing, but it saves sleeves and time.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2024, 07:29:23 am »
+1

I sleeve all my cards, in order to hopefully never need to replace them. I've been playing Dominion physically roughly twice a month for seven years, and only occasionally had to replace a single broken sleeve.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Death By Dominion

• Swindler
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2024, 12:10:58 pm »

I sleeve all my cards, in order to hopefully never need to replace them. I've been playing Dominion physically roughly twice a month for seven years, and only occasionally had to replace a single broken sleeve.
I am thinking about sleeving my cards. Would you mind letting me know what sleeves you use?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2024, 01:19:37 pm »
+3

I've been playing Dominion physically roughly

You would have to replace broken sleeves less frequently if you played it gently instead.

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Tiago

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tserridge
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 07:10:44 pm »

I am thinking about sleeving my cards. Would you mind letting me know what sleeves you use?

I use Gamegenic Ingenious Supplies sleeves. I have no idea if they're good; I've already had to replace several that broke. I use them simply because they have the biggest, cheapest pack at the game store I go to.

Here's a link. How do I attach it to text? https://www.amazon.com/Gamegenic-Value-Pack-Standard-Sleeves/dp/B084TMXFH9/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2UMDQCXTU6C9L&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.vx0vGnh3PWzEwAiznzVxvMpX-WXS31rVIObONmTVhoNjN1gxRPvtnPC4Id5wrdrkpHc97FUVzaFOlG3d0aCgFJ5v1h1oqkYFK-KBceLvImg7uqzddtyHDgzX1NkTnA7fRlrqlLywgmlI5TEYIhjwNOPkLOemky_ag3Kj1YUzo7B-85H-PGWHGVZxQOAqtt5xhKsD0jkgT19cjPrAekqFSql4MCJveDEnWZv0GQV_TlCokouBqhRsZLyGnEM-Hu5uA3_WhnGEEUInhW5ar-B8Gs3WNZ9msX__3GG-GW8ktbc.8fanwUBlj4g6K73-IC0lRRQSHfBv6o5CuDnOvDBn2eU&dib_tag=se&keywords=gamegenic+ingenious+supplies+sleeves&qid=1712012771&sprefix=gamegenic+ingenious+supplies+sleeve%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-2

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2024, 10:08:43 pm »

I use these for they offer the best value for the price. I replace one of the Base card's sleeve, usually a Copper about once every four games.
Unlike the Mayday ones i bought, these allow easier shuffling, so Mayday are used for Randomizers, Horizontals, and other card-like objects.

Update 20240403: Standard Mayday.

:)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 02:31:27 pm by BryGuy »

dane-m

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +198
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 11:22:00 am »
+1

Unlike the Mayday ones i bought, these allow easier shuffling, so Mayday are used for Randomizers, Horizontals, and other card-like objects.
Were your Mayday ones Standard or Premium?  I've been sleeving my cards with Mayday Premium sleeves from the outset.  I have, however, played with other people's sets that have been sleeved with the Standard ones.  I felt they were rather flimsy.  One criticism I would make of the Mayday cards is that quality control of size seems to be poor.  I've had some sets of sleeves that Dominion cards have only just fitted into, whereas others have been about 1mm or so wider.

Tozar

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: Tozar
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2024, 11:40:03 am »

Were your Mayday ones Standard or Premium?  I've been sleeving my cards with Mayday Premium sleeves from the outset.  I have, however, played with other people's sets that have been sleeved with the Standard ones.  I felt they were rather flimsy.  One criticism I would make of the Mayday cards is that quality control of size seems to be poor.  I've had some sets of sleeves that Dominion cards have only just fitted into, whereas others have been about 1mm or so wider.
I've been a long-time user of the Mayday Standard since they are thinner so take up less storage space -- and since they are cheaper figured having to replace some wouldn't be a big deal.  Early on, I ran into the issues you are describing with inconsistency in size -- Mayday was always good to replace ones that were too tight.  Recently this has been less of an issue.  I have replaced very few broken sleeves over the years, but the sleeves on the starter cards are definitely showing more wear.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.908 seconds with 20 queries.