Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #210: Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot  (Read 2345 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #210: Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot
« on: February 01, 2024, 11:51:31 am »
+7

Design a card or card-shaped thing that's a modified version of an official card, not as a replacement, but like Grand Market is to Market, or Young Witch to Witch.
Use an adjective or modifier + the name of the official card it's based on, like Grand Market and Young Witch do.

Clearly qualifying official cards: Grand Market and Young Witch (obvs), Old Witch, Coastal Haven, most villages (Border/Mining/Fishing/Farming/...), Devil's Workshop, Farmer's Market, Sea Witch.

Other official cards that qualify because I like being flexible/creative: Animal Fair (It has +buy so it can be considered a version of Fair), Capital City, Fool's Gold, Lost City, Family of Inventors, all the Ruins except Survivors, Overgrown Estate, Prize Goat, Silver Mine, Tragic Hero (It has "gain a treasure"), I probably missed a couple.
I'm undecided on Market Square, but I think I'd allow it (if it wasn't already a thing obvs).

Official cards that don't qualify: Fortune Hunter (not related to Hunter), Horse Traders (not related to Trader), Plateau Shepherds (not related to shepherd), Royal Blacksmith, Shanty Town, Silk Merchant, ...you get the idea...

Suggestions of adjectives or modifiers you might use: Grand/Big, Little/Minor/Tiny, Royal, Noble, Shady, Seafaring, Gilded, Buried, Undead, Distant, Mounted, etc. (but you don't have to use one of these)

Village and Merchant as your base card are discouraged. You can do a modified version of one of them, but I'd prefer you choose something else.

Using small print just for the card's name might be fun if you want to do, say, "Bored Cartographer" or something like that. Don't hesitate to use an official card with a longer name. Just don't make small print necessary for the card text.

(reposted here)

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #210: Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 01:05:17 pm »
+6

Palace Chapel
$3 Action
Trash up to 3 cards from your hand. If there were at least 3 different card types among the trashed cards, +$3.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1455
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 01:38:01 pm »
+9

Drawbridge
$4 Action
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand. This turn, cards (everywhere) cost $1 less.

It's a Bridge that draws, get it?

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 02:28:26 pm »

I love this contest theme, as I often design cards that are "variants" of official cards. I haven't entered in a while, but I'll see if I can dig something out this week, as it's be fun to get back into this.

Official cards that don't qualify: Fortune Hunter (not related to Hunter), Horse Traders (not related to Trader), Plateau Shepherds (not related to shepherd), Royal Blacksmith, Shanty Town, Silk Merchant, ...you get the idea...

Not that it matters to the definition of this contest, but wouldn't Royal Blacksmith count as a variant of Smithy? Or Is it because the name isn't exact?

Village and Merchant as your base card are discouraged. You can do a modified version of one of them, but I'd prefer you choose something else.

I get village, since there are so many official variants of it (and if I recall correctly, it was also the theme of a past contest), but why Merchant?

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 04:04:46 pm »
+2

Yes. But this is a really bad idea imo. The effect is so powerful and especially when spammed that it should not also help you draw your deck.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 05:10:34 pm »
+1

Royal Workshop
- Action
Choose one: gain up to two differently-named cards costing up to that you have not yet gained with Royal Workshop this turn; or you may play an action from your hand twice.

Notes: The gaining limitations reduce the speed at which it empties piles and make it less powerful to Royal Workshop itself for lots of gains.

FAQ: “Up to two” means zero, one, or two.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1455
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 05:39:08 pm »
+5

Yes. But this is a really bad idea imo. The effect is so powerful and especially when spammed that it should not also help you draw your deck.

It's probably worth testing, however I'd point out that Drawbridge still requires both a source of +Actions and +Buys (or extra gains) to really go crazy, not unlike Bridge which needs both +Actions and draw (i.e. neither of these cards are "spammable" on their own). Without extra Buys or gains, it's basically just Watchtower with +$1. I did consider draw to 5 at first, but felt like draw to 6 would make it more attractive in games when the +Actions or +Buys aren't as plentiful.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 06:07:43 pm »

Drawbridge is weaker than Bridge and thus perfectly fine.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2024, 06:37:46 pm »
+2

I love this contest theme, as I often design cards that are "variants" of official cards. I haven't entered in a while, but I'll see if I can dig something out this week, as it's be fun to get back into this.

Not that it matters to the definition of this contest, but wouldn't Royal Blacksmith count as a variant of Smithy? Or Is it because the name isn't exact?
It's just because of the name. If it was Royal Smithy it'd be fine. In fact, I'm tempted to change my mind and say Royal Blacksmith would count as-is, despite there being another card called Blacksmith. But since it really doesn't matter for the contest, I won't.

I get village, since there are so many official variants of it (and if I recall correctly, it was also the theme of a past contest), but why Merchant?
Because there's Spice Merchant, Wine Merchant, and Silk Merchant, and they're all unrelated so it confuses things.

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2024, 08:41:38 pm »

:)
Withdrawn
Small Warehouse/Grand Forum • Randomizer
This pile starts with as many copies of each card as players, but minimum three and maximum five. All copies of Small Warehouse are are on top.

Small Warehouse • $2 • Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action

Discard two cards.
You may trash this and a Small Warehouse from your Hand to gain a Grand Forum.

Grand Forum • $6 • Action
+4 Cards
+1 Action

Discard three cards. If you discarded a Treasure, +1 Buy. If you discarded a card costing $0, you may trash it.
So i made six different cards, four in split piles. This seamed like the best entry for this contest.
This split pile has a weaker Warehouse and a stronger Forum. Small Warehouse did not seam like a card whose pile would empty in most games. Grand Forum seams like it might be too strong on its own at $6, so buried in a split-pile seamed like the better option than increasing its price. And since these cards both filter, i put them together. Hopefully you like this.
20240202: So i made four more for this contest and updated Small Warehouse.

previous:
Small Warehouse • $2 • Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action

Discard two cards.
-
When you trash this, +1 Card and discard a card.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 11:39:54 am by BryGuy »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2024, 01:52:20 am »
+1

I don’t think that the lower card will see the light of day often. Also, it seems dubious to use a split pile for two cards that do the same job.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2024, 02:01:38 am »
+5

Palace Chapel
$3 Action
Trash up to 3 cards from your hand. If there were at least 3 different card types among the trashed cards, +$3.

I think the issue with this is that it trashes 3 cards, so you're obliged to open with it, and you don't have 3 different card types in the beginning except occasionally with shelters, so this is just going to be a chapel for 3$.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2024, 02:12:01 am »

I like the contest theme a lot; I don't like that the name is restricted to literal modifications of the official name rather than just mechanical extensions.

(I'm just gonna criticize everything this time and not offer any suggestions.)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2024, 02:43:58 am »
+2

Ok I guess I'll make a card, too.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2024, 08:48:03 am »

Withdrawn

SHAM THRONE
2$
Action

Play an Action Card from your hand twice.
You are unable to play any copies of it for the rest of your turn.

FAQ:
The wording means you cant play copies from the supply (via command), deck or discard pile. So it's a hard nerf for the rest of the turn.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 04:57:04 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2024, 10:41:46 am »
+4

My (Updated) Submission:

Mayday Festival • $4 • Action
+1 Action
+$1
Choose a different thing per
Mayday Festival you have
in play (counting this):
+1 Action; +1 Buy; +$1.

FAQ:
If you have 3 or more Mayday Festivals in play, you just get all 3 bonuses.

(Updated the price).

Old Version:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 05:28:05 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

LTaco

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: LTaco
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2024, 10:52:54 am »
+5

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2024, 11:25:09 am »

Gold Mine
$5 Action
You may trash 2 coppers from your had. If you trashed 2, gain a gold to your hand.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2024, 11:48:46 am »
+1

My Submission:

Mayday Festival • $3 • Action
+1 Action
+$1
Mayday Festival you have
in play (counting this):
+1 Action; +1 Buy; +$1.

FAQ:
As this is strictly better than an ActionSilver, it is a $4.

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2024, 01:15:22 pm »
+3

Could we modify an official card that already has a modifier?

For example Night Watchman could become “Day Watchman.”  “Day Night Watchman” strictly meets the contest requirements, but that’s just silly.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2024, 04:25:41 pm »

My Submission:

+1 Action
+$1
Mayday Festival you have
in play (counting this):
+1 Action; +1 Buy; +$1.

FAQ:

Why? A Disappearing Silver is not strictly better than Silver; if you draw this with a Smithy (not an unreasonable possibility for a source of +Actions) it's worse than Silver.  The other two options on the first play (if played as solo cards) are strictly worse than $2 cards (Squire and Candlestick Maker).

I'm not trying to be a jerk/argumentative. I know conventional wisdom is that anything strictly better than Disappearing Sliver has to cost more than $3, but I'm not completely sure that's correct (and I'd appreciate hearing why people think it is).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2024, 04:27:40 pm »

Drunken Sailor
Action/Duration - $3
+$2
+1 Action
Set aside an Action from your hand (or reveal a hand with none). At the start of your next turn, play it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 12:59:48 am by NoMoreFun »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2024, 04:39:11 pm »

My Submission:

+1 Action
+$1
Mayday Festival you have
in play (counting this):
+1 Action; +1 Buy; +$1.

FAQ:

Why? A Disappearing Silver is not strictly better than Silver; if you draw this with a Smithy (not an unreasonable possibility for a source of +Actions) it's worse than Silver.  The other two options on the first play (if played as solo cards) are strictly worse than $2 cards (Squire and Candlestick Maker).

I'm not trying to be a jerk/argumentative. I know conventional wisdom is that anything strictly better than Disappearing Sliver has to cost more than $3, but I'm not completely sure that's correct (and I'd appreciate hearing why people think it is).
There has been a lengthy discussion about Candlestick Maker and Ducat. Coin yielding non-terminal Actions are on average better than their Treasure equivalent as Thrones, Herald, Golem, Scrying Pool and all other cards that want you to have Actions are on average far more relevant than drawing an Action dead.

The argument about the other options being weak is misleading. Flexibility has to be priced in and if the baseline is already stronger than a $3 you need a price of $4.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2024, 05:25:18 pm »

There has been a lengthy discussion about Candlestick Maker and Ducat. Coin yielding non-terminal Actions are on average better than their Treasure equivalent as Thrones, Herald, Golem, Scrying Pool and all other cards that want you to have Actions are on average far more relevant than drawing an Action dead.

The argument about the other options being weak is misleading. Flexibility has to be priced in and if the baseline is already stronger than a $3 you need a price of $4.

That makes sense. I already understood about the flexibility (I didn't articulate that well in my post), I just wasn't convinced that ActionSilver would be stronger than $3 (my main thinking was that you couldn't price it at $4 because it's strictly worse than Patron, but it's probably just one of those unpriceable cards like a pure peddler). I'm going to update my card/OP.
he/him/his

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2024, 06:52:37 pm »

That makes sense. I already understood about the flexibility (I didn't articulate that well in my post), I just wasn't convinced that ActionSilver would be stronger than $3 (my main thinking was that you couldn't price it at $4 because it's strictly worse than Patron, but it's probably just one of those unpriceable cards like a pure peddler). I'm going to update my card/OP.

I mean Taskmaster is worse than Silver until it’s not.  Swamp Shacks is a Necropolis until it’s not.  The stacking effect is super powerful, so I think the $4 price is justified.

Even a single copy could be a Merchant Camp or an Action Pouch, and that flexibility is valuable.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 1.884 seconds with 21 queries.