Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #209: Next Time, Last Time  (Read 2493 times)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #209: Next Time, Last Time
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2024, 02:57:29 am »
+2

^ This card is auto-buy at 4$ every time, I believe. Every card that trashes without hand-size reduction ...  and this card has no risk and scales amazingly.

I'd remove the +1 card outright. I think it's completely playable without it.

There is the problem that more than one of them don't scale, but that doesn't change that you'll ~always want one.
Nope. Without the draw it is weaker than Moneylender and totally unplayable for trashing purposes. As Treasure Throne it would also be strictly inferior to Tiara without the draw.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 02:59:43 am by segura »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2024, 06:20:33 am »

Moneylender is the best comparison imo. Jeweler without +card is exactly 1$ weaker than Moneylender  in the early game but scales well instead of becoming completely useless, thus making it similarly strong, neatly demonstrating that it shouldn't have the +card; I rest my case.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 06:21:39 am by silverspawn »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2024, 09:38:07 am »

Zookeeper
$5 - Action - Duration
+1 Action.
Gain a Horse.
The next time you play a Way or a card with an animal in its name (Horse, Goat, etc...), choose one: +$2, +2 Cards, +2 Actions, or +2 Buys.
-
When you gain this, gain a Horse.
When you play it's a sort-of-cantrip. Its main benefit is the duration next time effect.

FAQ: This cards' "next time" effect is triggered by Camel Train, Destrier, Royal Seal and Werewolf among others, but not Pooka (that's a fairy, not an animal), Caravan, Livery or Stables (has to do with horses, but no animal in the card name). Werewolf only counts because the word "wolf" is in it. Humans and animal-like monsters do not count otherwise.

Do Laboratory, Bureaucrat, Conspirator and Pirate count?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

RovingBear

• Scout
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2024, 01:19:11 pm »
+1

This one is for intrigue, a twist on a victory card and the choice.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 02:21:32 am by RovingBear »

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2024, 01:23:45 pm »
+1

This one is for intrigue, a twist on a victory card and the choice.

It needs the Duration type

petamatt

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2024, 03:48:41 pm »
+1

For Hinterlands. - fitting discard theme.
It would be kinda busted with outpost (or anything that gives extra turns), but I think it would work otherwise

« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 10:56:55 pm by petamatt »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2024, 04:57:04 pm »

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to embed this.
https://imgur.com/SJXPxa4
It would be good with outpost yeah.

embed by surrounding the link with img tags, i.e., [img]the link you used[/img]

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +468
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2024, 05:03:46 pm »

Opinions on changing my card to make gaining provinces less likely with cost reduction? Should I do the basic "non-victory" limitation or something else?

I'm not sure if you need to change it just for this interaction, but IMO the simplest change would be to just replace the $7 limit by $6. There's very few cards costing $7, so the difference rarely matters without cost reduction. And according to the wiki, there's no official gainer with a $7 cost limit, the highest explicit cost limit is $6 (Smugglers, Wish).

Unrelated question: How does the card work when you use a Villager with more cards in play than the cost limit? Do you gain a card with that cost (i.e. a $7 card with more than 7 cards in play in your current version), or do you not gain a card at all?

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2024, 05:06:35 pm »

Moneylender is the best comparison imo. Jeweler without +card is exactly 1$ weaker than Moneylender  in the early game but scales well instead of becoming completely useless, thus making it similarly strong, neatly demonstrating that it shouldn't have the +card; I rest my case.
$4 for a trasher that is weaker (even with the extra card I’d rather pick something that can also trash Estates) than literally every other $4 trasher? Nah.

The notion that weak thrashing is somehow compensated for for by the terminal Treasure Throning in the endgame (ain’t gonna happen earlier) is ridiculous. Even if you consistently hit a Gold, a terminal Gold is nothing to write home about. Nobody wants Fortune Hunter, you don’t got the terminal space for such nonsense.

The card as it stands is fine for a Copper trasher. Spice Merchant ain’t broken and this terminal is significantly below the power level of Spice Merchant.

And in the meantime, however got a decent trasher easily outpaced you.

Cutepelican126

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: rhinolardo
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2024, 05:17:56 pm »
+1

Opinions on changing my card to make gaining provinces less likely with cost reduction? Should I do the basic "non-victory" limitation or something else?

I'm not sure if you need to change it just for this interaction, but IMO the simplest change would be to just replace the $7 limit by $6. There's very few cards costing $7, so the difference rarely matters without cost reduction. And according to the wiki, there's no official gainer with a $7 cost limit, the highest explicit cost limit is $6 (Smugglers, Wish).

Unrelated question: How does the card work when you use a Villager with more cards in play than the cost limit? Do you gain a card with that cost (i.e. a $7 card with more than 7 cards in play in your current version), or do you not gain a card at all?

You would gain nothing

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2024, 07:12:31 pm »

Zookeeper
$5 - Action - Duration
+1 Action.
Gain a Horse.
The next time you play a Way or a card with an animal in its name (Horse, Goat, etc...), choose one: +$2, +2 Cards, +2 Actions, or +2 Buys.
-
When you gain this, gain a Horse.
When you play it's a sort-of-cantrip. Its main benefit is the duration next time effect.

FAQ: This cards' "next time" effect is triggered by Camel Train, Destrier, Royal Seal and Werewolf among others, but not Pooka (that's a fairy, not an animal), Caravan, Livery or Stables (has to do with horses, but no animal in the card name). Werewolf only counts because the word "wolf" is in it. Humans and animal-like monsters do not count otherwise.

Do Laboratory, Bureaucrat, Conspirator and Pirate count?
Yes according to the rule I've been using. So maybe I should change that rule. hmmm... Maybe I should say it doesn't work when it's part of another word, which means Werewolf wouldn't count anymore. Or better, that the word has to have something to do with the animal in it. Then Werewolf can still count, but not those words (or Royal Seal).

EDIT: I changed the FAQ. Those cards no longer count.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 02:18:10 am by LibraryAdventurer »

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2024, 11:39:50 pm »
+2

Bricks
➁ Treasure - Duration

+1 Buy
The next time anyone
gains a Victory card,
trash this for +1 VP.
Bricklayer
➑ Action
+3 Cards
Choose one:
Play a Treasure from the
trash; or +① per Bricks
you have in play.

Split pile, for Empires.
Yeah, those Bricks are great for business. They're not really that great on their own though. This is why Split piles are a pain to design...

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +538
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2024, 01:18:21 pm »

Bricks
➁ Treasure - Duration

+1 Buy
The next time anyone
gains a Victory card,
trash this for +1 VP.
Bricklayer
➑ Action
+3 Cards
Choose one:
Play a Treasure from the
trash; or +① per Bricks
you have in play.

Split pile, for Empires.
Yeah, those Bricks are great for business. They're not really that great on their own though. This is why Split piles are a pain to design...

Bricks is not priced correctly — it’s a disappearing 1vp, like mill, which costs 3. Except it gives an additional $ and +1 buy which arguably makes it way stronger than mill.

Mill did get replaced, but this is too strong for $2. Compare it to estate, as well.

I’d say make bricks stronger, price it for $4 and allow it to gain Bricks so you can run the pile more quickly.
Maybe something like “+$2, you may gain a Bricks. The next time …”

I like this general concept and idea .

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2024, 03:06:37 pm »
+3

Bricks
➁ Treasure - Duration

+1 Buy
The next time anyone
gains a Victory card,
trash this for +1 VP.
Bricklayer
➑ Action
+3 Cards
Choose one:
Play a Treasure from the
trash; or +① per Bricks
you have in play.

Split pile, for Empires.

Bricks is not priced correctly — it’s a disappearing 1vp, like mill, which costs 3. Except it gives an additional $ and +1 buy which arguably makes it way stronger than mill.

Mill did get replaced, but this is too strong for $2. Compare it to estate, as well.

I’d say make bricks stronger, price it for $4 and allow it to gain Bricks so you can run the pile more quickly.
Maybe something like “+$2, you may gain a Bricks. The next time …”

I like this general concept and idea .
I guess you meant Great Hall, not Mill and I fail to see how you could compare a card that draws with a card that does not draw.
Jeweled Egg established that Pouch with a bonus is fine for $2 and it is anything but clear whether Bricks is really better than Pouch. Extra Buys are something that you want consistently so a one-shot is kinda meh.

I'd worry much more about Bricklayer never seeing the light of day than Bricks being too strong.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2024, 04:39:58 pm »
+2

24 Hour Warning

Sorry, all, I missed posting this, so I'm going to extend the deadline. Here is the list of submissions (please let me know if I missed any):

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2024, 04:44:41 pm »

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to embed this.
https://imgur.com/SJXPxa4

It would be good with outpost yeah.

The url you are using is the link to the page, not the image file. You need to add the extension (usually .png) to the url, so you probably want to do something like:

Code: [Select]
[img width=200]https://imgur.com/SJXPxa4.png[/img]
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

petamatt

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2024, 10:44:39 pm »
+1

Haha that makes sense, thanks

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2024, 02:29:31 am »
+2

Ferry Token
Treasure/Duration - $3
+1 Buy
+$3
The next time your Journey token is face up at the start of your turn, +2 Cards and return this to its pile.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 03:00:25 am by NoMoreFun »

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2024, 10:39:44 am »
+1

Farmers
$4 - Action - Duration

The next time you gain a Victory card, +1 Buy and choose one: +$3; or +2 Cards, +1 Action, and if it's your Buy phase return to your Action phase.

This is meant for Intrigue, fitting with the themes of choices and VP cards that do something.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2024, 04:46:55 pm »
+2

CONTEST CLOSED

I will try to get the judging completed over the next couple of evenings. Here is the list of submissions (please let me know if I missed yours):
he/him/his

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2024, 08:13:10 am »
+2

Marksman is a nonterminal trasher that lets you choose between cantrip now, trash later or vice versa (which gives you some Duration draw later). It triggers on having 4 Actions in play, so it will usually sit there a few turns early game, but eventually you can trigger several at once or even get both effects on the same turn (like a cheaper Junk Dealer) if you play in the right order. To track which effect you've done already, I recommend playing the card upside down if you need to trash next time. The trash is mandatory, so be careful when you trigger this--playing a line of Marksmen as cantrips might come back to bite you later. The "during your Action phase" wording is to prevent triggering during Clean-up (any simpler wording ideas are welcome!).

This is for Allies, an expansion that emphasizes choose ones (especially cantrip or *effect*) and recursion--this is a Duration card that might not be a Duration after all.
What if I play it with an Elder?

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2024, 10:19:40 am »

Marksman is a nonterminal trasher that lets you choose between cantrip now, trash later or vice versa (which gives you some Duration draw later). It triggers on having 4 Actions in play, so it will usually sit there a few turns early game, but eventually you can trigger several at once or even get both effects on the same turn (like a cheaper Junk Dealer) if you play in the right order. To track which effect you've done already, I recommend playing the card upside down if you need to trash next time. The trash is mandatory, so be careful when you trigger this--playing a line of Marksmen as cantrips might come back to bite you later. The "during your Action phase" wording is to prevent triggering during Clean-up (any simpler wording ideas are welcome!).

This is for Allies, an expansion that emphasizes choose ones (especially cantrip or *effect*) and recursion--this is a Duration card that might not be a Duration after all.
You play Elder. You play Marksman from your Hand as instructed. You get both options on Markman. At Clean-up Markman has completed its actions and is discarded.

Playing a Marksman with Elder is not different that playing a Barge, Gondola, or Village Green and choosing now - at Clean-up of the first turn it is discarded since it has completed its actions.

Duration Official Rules

minor card typo, it should read "... The next time you have ..."
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 10:25:47 am by BryGuy »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1455
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2024, 11:20:34 am »
+1

Elder's text restricts the "choose an extra (different) option" to "this turn" which means you'd get +1 Card and trash a card this turn for Marksman, but you don't get an extra ability later (similar to Amulet where Elder would gives you an extra choice this turn but not next turn). For resolving Marksman's next time effect, my understanding is that you would pick one of the previous "choices" to resolve first for the duration effect choice and then the other one would fail since Elder's ability doesn't apply to later turns or apply to effects that are not explicitly "choose one" which Marksman's duration effect isn't.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2024, 05:55:05 am »

NOTE: im super late to this, this is a modified card from an earlier WDC, and i wouldnt be able to judge in case i won anyway. I just wanna share this card as it mostly fits the theme.

now is a cantrip that lets you control your next card gain.
v2

Collector
$4
Action-Duration

+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
The next time you gain an non-Duration Action or Treasure card during your turn, you may Play it, put it unto the top or bottom of your deck, or trash it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 05:30:03 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2024, 02:36:01 pm »
+1

Looks pretty weak. When you gain an Action with a Workshop, the card has the very same vanillas as Worker’s Village. But unlike that splitter, once you stop building and start greening, Collector is dead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 3.051 seconds with 21 queries.