Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 80 - It's normally a Supply pile but in this game...  (Read 672 times)

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +422
    • View Profile
+1

The objective for this week is: Design a card that gains from a specific Kingdom pile.

More specifically, the card (or card shaped object) must contain the phrase "gain a [differently named card]". That differently named card must be a Kingdom card from a different pile.

An example is:

Self serving Smithy (Action, $5)
+3 Cards
-
When you gain this, gain a Village.

This card gains you a Village upon purchase! If the Village pile is in the Kingdom for this game, this card will gain you a Village from that pile. Otherwise, the Village pile is non-Supply pile that is set aside and not counting towards a 3 pile ending.

Some more clearifications:
* If this mechanic gets used in an official expansion, it will only use cards from base game (that are not on the chopping block for E3) or from the expansion it is in. You are obviously not limited to this.
* You can also use Split piles, if these piles have names. For instance, if the card says "Gain a Clash", it gains the upper card from the Clash pile.
* You are also allowed to design the used pile yourself. Make sure that the card is balanced on its own!
* Your card may also gain cards from multiple piles.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 04:33:24 pm by grrgrrgrr »

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
+1

:)
Wild Plains • $5 • Action - Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy

Now and at your next Start-up, reveal your Deck's top card, you may discard it. If it is a Horse, gain a Cavalry; otherwise gain a Hostelry.
I started by reviewing the most powerful $4 cards. I first developed a card around Shepherd, then tried Calvary and liked it better.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 05:25:14 pm by BryGuy »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile

The objective for this week is: Design a card that gains from a specific Kingdom pile.

sorry for asking this question, but does it have to be a specific named card? can we say "set aside a kingdom supply card costing X" or "a card of X type"?
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Dominionaer

• Golem
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile

Swill
Action - Duration, $4
If this is the first time you played
a Swill this turn, at the start of your
next turn, discard the top card of
your deck. Gain an Experiment
per $3 it costs (round down).

« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 06:40:02 am by Dominionaer »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile

Swill
Action - Duration, $4
If this is the first time you played
a Swill this turn, at the start of your
next turn, discard the top card of
your deck. Gain an Experiment
per $3 it costs (round down).

Using two Horses for this is virtually equivalent.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile

Using two Horses for this is virtually equivalent.
May be. But i see not the relevance of your comment. Did you oversaw that only kingdom cards are subject for gain?
It simply seems to me that if a new mechanic is used, there should be a good reason for it, and in particular the concept should not be realizable with the existing mechanics.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Dominionaer

• Golem
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile

It simply seems to me that if a new mechanic is used, there should be a good reason for it, and in particular the concept should not be realizable with the existing mechanics.
OK, nothing to say against that. But i am now more confused. Your comment seems contratictory in itself. Where do you see a new mechanic used here? Do you see a new mechanic demanded this week? What qualifies as a good reason to use a mechanic? And why do you think a concept should not use existing mechanics?

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile

sorry for asking this question, but does it have to be a specific named card? can we say "set aside a kingdom supply card costing X" or "a card of X type"?

Yes, it has to be a specific pile.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
+1

Models
Ally
At the start of your turn, you may spend 2 favors to gain a shanty town to your hand.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
+1

My Submission:

Farrier • $5 • Action
+3 Cards
You may play a Horse from your hand. If you don't, you may discard a Treasure to gain a Supplies.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile

Sorry for the late reply; time to close this contest without the usual 24h warning! The activity seemed promising at first, but then it fell off completely after december the 20th, resulting into 4 submissions to judge. I really got a feeling this contest isn't very popular anymore. Anyway, judge time!

Wild Plains by BryGuy
Wild Plains (Action - Duration, $5)
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Now and at your next Start-up, reveal your Deck's top card, you may discard it. If it is a Horse, gain a Cavalry; otherwise gain a Hostelry.
Wild plains is a strong Village gainer, as you can always forego Hostelry's on gain effect, leaving your deck Horse free and make it always gain a Hostelry. The other card, Cavalry, looks pretty painful to get. Especially the first one, as you have to fully count on the Horses that came with the Hostelry. In the most boards, getting the Cavalry as opposed to Hostelry will be mostly be a happy accident. This means that whenever the Hostelry pile empties (which will be fast), Wild Plains will mostly be a glorified Market Square. I don't think it is that interesting to play with tbh.

Swill by Dominionaer
Swill (Action - Duration, $4)
If this is the first time you played a Swill this turn, at the start of your next turn, discard the top card of your deck. Gain an Experiment per $3 it costs (round down).
As Faust kindly pointed out, gaining an Experiment is the same as gaining 2 horses. Gaining 2 Horses is preferable unless you really want to make use of the fact that there are only 10 experiments in the game. Your submission doesn't seem to make use of that at all. Looking past that, Swill looks absurdly weak; possibly even worse than Scout. Certainly not a winner for this contest.

Models by Will(ow|iam)
Models (Ally)
At the start of your turn, you may spend 2 favors to gain a shanty town to your hand.
Models is a pretty clever idea for an Ally. It is mostly an ally that makes you wanna have enough Favors at the start of your turn, because in a hand full of terminal actions, or no actions at all, Models is going to be quite helpful. The only downside to this submission is that in a competitive setting, the players may have too few Favors to spend and there may be too many excess Favors to be earned (though I guess several other allies share this problem as well). I'm kinda split on whether this should've been a Project instead.

Farrier by emtzalex
Farrier (Action, $5)
+3 Cards
You may play a Horse from your hand. If you don't, you may discard a Treasure to gain a Supplies.
This looks like it's making for a pretty self contained drawing engine. In most Farrier games, Supplies will be the only Horse gainer, so all Horses that are in your deck are already in your hand before drawing Farrier; you just hope that you can draw Farrier before spending your last Horse. As such, playing Farrier non-terminally may be somewhat tricky. But that's okay; a Smithy that can generate Supplies is already worthy of the $5 price tag. Playtesting needs to be done to see if this is broken or underwhelming or alright, but the submission seems pretty well thought out.

VERDICT
This leaves us to the winner and runner-up. It was extremely close; almost interchangeable.

Runner-up: Farrier by emtzalex
Winner: Models by Will(ow|iam)

Congratz to Will(ow|iam) for winning this contest and good luck hosting next week's contest. If you have no idea for the next week's contest, you could also do a season's finale.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile

Sorry for the late reply; time to close this contest without the usual 24h warning! The activity seemed promising at first, but then it fell off completely after december the 20th, resulting into 4 submissions to judge. I really got a feeling this contest isn't very popular anymore.

It's probably the time of year. I was thinking about entering something here. I just didn't get around to it because I was busy with hanging out with the family and Christmas stuff.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile

New contest is up BTW
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.78 seconds with 21 queries.